Equinox in Venice

njmudd

Hello

I posted this on the ports forum but though folks on here may know so I hope you can help. We are looking to go on the celebrity equinox which docks overnight in Venice. I would love to wake up in the morning and have a view of the city.

Does anyone know if the ship pulls in forward, or backs in. If it matters we are scheduled to be at berth 110?

Much appreciated.

Nigel.

Nigel, we've overnighted twice in Venice and it's a lovely experience. However, that incredible fairy tale view of Venice is what you see when the ship sails into or out of the city. Where the ships dock is actually fairly view-less. There's nothing much to see. Fortunately it's not much of a walk from the ship into Venice where the real sightseeing begins. ;)

Hello

I posted this on the ports forum but though folks on here may know so I hope you can help. We are looking to go on the celebrity equinox which docks overnight in Venice. I would love to wake up in the morning and have a view of the city.

Does anyone know if the ship pulls in forward, or backs in. If it matters we are scheduled to be at berth 110?

Much appreciated.

Nigel.

You want to wake up in the morning and have a view of the city. What time does the ship cruise in? Early morning sail ins mean you should get up before the sun and go to the top deck forward. In Venice, there should be some commentary about the sights, you may need to be close to the PA system.

Another way to see the city early am is to get up before sunrise and board a Vaporetto (water bus) to cruise up the Grand Canal and around the island. Very nice way to start the day.

-Marisa

Nigel, we've overnighted twice in Venice and it's a lovely experience. However, that incredible fairy tale view of Venice is what you see when the ship sails into or out of the city. Where the ships dock is actually fairly view-less. There's nothing much to see. Fortunately it's not much of a walk from the ship into Venice where the real sightseeing begins. ;)

My question was going to be about distance. Given that its an overnight, dinner in Venice would be great if special transportation like a boat taxi wasn't required.

Is there a shuttle, or is it close? I've docked in Venice once with Regent and it seemed quite a distance. How far is St Marks square for instance?

My question was going to be about distance. Given that its an overnight, dinner in Venice would be great if special transportation like a boat taxi wasn't required.

Is there a shuttle, or is it close? I've docked in Venice once with Regent and it seemed quite a distance. How far is St Marks square for instance?

Kevin, it's a 25 minute or so stroll from where the ship docks in Venice to the central train station. Walk off the ship and follow the yellow lines on the pavement, out of the port area, over the bridge, and you'll soon be at the station where you can buy vaporetto tickets. You can't get lost. Or for a euro you can take the people mover. It's really too far to walk to St. Marks Square. Celebrity has a shuttle boat service to "downtown" for 22 euros with all day on-and-off privileges, if you want to go that route. I'm betting that by "downtown" they mean St. Marks. We stayed out til about 11:30 pm when we were docked in Venice and we weren't the last ones back by any means. :D.

As the previous poster said, San Marco is pretty far away to get there on foot. The shuttle that Celebrity runs back and forth to San Marco conveniently docks right by the ship:

ry%3D480

Alilaguna's Blue Line runs from the cruise terminal to different points in Venice (including San Marco) every half hour:

ry%3D480

Here is a link I found with a map of the terminal and a schedule of where ships dock. When we go on May 6, we will be at 107. We have done the walk to the central station. It's not too bad, but as someone posted, there is now a people mover that will take you there for 1e, and it also appears there is now a vaporetto (water bus) station at the cruise terminal that will take you to San Marco for 7e, but I'm still trying to get confirmation on that.

mahdnc, from your picture, it looks like the blue line is the way to go. We did the Vaporetto 4 years ago and it's definitely the way to go. 30e for 24 hours unlimited.

Here is a link I found with a map of the terminal and a schedule of where ships dock. When we go on May 6, we will be at 107. We have done the walk to the central station. It's not too bad, but as someone posted, there is now a people mover that will take you there for 1e, and it also appears there is now a vaporetto (water bus) station at the cruise terminal that will take you to San Marco for 7e, but I'm still trying to get confirmation on that.

mahdnc, from your picture, it looks like the blue line is the way to go. We did the Vaporetto 4 years ago and it's definitely the way to go. 30e for 24 hours unlimited.

If the celebrity shuttle boat is free ( is it ? ), why would one take the vaporetto for a fee? They both go back and forth from San Marco, right? Is one more direct?

If the celebrity shuttle boat is free ( is it ? ), why would one take the vaporetto for a fee? They both go back and forth from San Marco, right? Is one more direct?

I mentioned that it's 22 euros for the shuttle that Celebrity employs. Nothing in Venice is free! :rolleyes:

While a multi-day vaporetto pass is a great bargain for tourists, single ride prices for non-residents are really expensive. If your goal is to get St. Marks, the ship shuttle might be more reasonably priced. However, if you're just interested in wandering around beautiful Venice and having dinner, just take the people mover to Piazzalle Roma, cross over the bridge(s) into the main part of Venice and stroll. Lots to see and many places to dine.

Sorry to contradict anyone, but Celebrity charged $22 not 22 euros for their water shuttle when we were in Venice last autumn,

sounds right. Back in 2007 it was $20 for an all day Celebrity shuttle pass (from the pier direct to San Marco). There was a shuttle every 30 minutes.

Sorry to contradict anyone, but Celebrity charged $22 not 22 euros for their water shuttle when we were in Venice last autumn,

Well spotted, history diva. I stand corrected. I was in a euro state of mind. :D This past summer the price was indeed $22 for the Celebrity shuttle!

I would take the people mover to P.Roma for 1E and then buy a 24hr Vaporetto pass. Take the trip up the Grand Canal just before dusk and take your camera you will be well rewarded, you can jump on and off the vaporetto's as you please and dine away from the crowds in a beautiful spot. Oh to be back!!!

As correctly noted by others, the docking location is at some distance from the best, most interesting parts of historic Venice. YES, the superstar part is the sail-in and sail-out. Below are some visual examples for that distance.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 19,012 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 122,758 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we sailed into Venice, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14, 2011. Love Venice so, so much!!:

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

Here are two of the Solstice in and around charming, historic Venice. First, a long shot of the Solstice from the famed, 323’ high Campanile Tower. This shot shows in Venice the many roofs and buildings between this viewpoint and the docking location. As a bird flies, it is about 6000' from the Solstice docking location to the main, San Marco Square. Second is a view from the top of the Solstice as we sailed out and passengers view and point out great buildings and sites in this famed city.:

SolsticeLongShotVeniceDocked_zps050c3c4b.jpg

SolsticeViewSailOutTopViewPointing_zpsb7894c2e.jpg

I would take the people mover to P.Roma for 1E and then buy a 24hr Vaporetto pass. Take the trip up the Grand Canal just before dusk and take your camera you will be well rewarded, you can jump on and off the vaporetto's as you please and dine away from the crowds in a beautiful spot. Oh to be back!!!

This is what we did 4 years ago, but had to walk as the people mover wasn't there. What I am wondering is why I wouldn't catch the blue line at the cruise ship dock that goes directly to St. Marks? Either way, I would want the 24 hr pass. Can I not buy tickets at the station by the ship? Has anyone done it this way?

TIA

I think you are confusing Alilaguna (blue line) with the vaporettos. Alilaguna is basically for people with luggage getting to or from the cruise port and the airport, to St. Marks and a few other locations. The vaporettos are more like conventional buses, and Alilaguna is like airport transport at home. You cannot get a 'pass' as far as I know, and it is much more expensive than a vaporetto woud be with a pass. I think it was 7 euros pp/ per trip last time I used it which was 3-4 years ago. Have not had occasion to use it on subsequent trips.

If you are wanting to get around town, the vaporettos are the way to go. They make lots of stops so you can get close. However we prefer walking almost everywhere once we are settled in our hotel.

Hope this helps

Archived