Single in Room - Tip for Two?

Lady Hawke

What do you generally do about if you only have one person in the room? In some ways it is half the work for the Steward, but in other ways it certainly is not. Do you tip for two or only one? Thanks. Allena

I agree with cruisyguy. I give the Room Steward the full tip + 1/2 or about $5.00/day. The Waiter and Ast and Mait'd get the normal amount. So what I do is leave the auto tip in place and add to the Room Steward. If the waiters are very good they get extra too but the Room Steward gets it as a matter of recourse.

Just FYI, to the best of my knowledge, the only line that addresses this issue in their official recommendation is Crystal. They bump their suggested tip for the Stewardess up from $4 to $5 per day if there is only one person in the cabin.

I believe Crystal has an above average percentage of single cruisers, which may be why they felt it neccessary to publish a recommendation for it.

Theron

I always tip the room steward double. The amount of work they do is basically the same for one as for 2 (i.e., cleaning the tub, making the bed). Its too bad some of the single supplemnt doesn't go for this purpose. Everyone else gets the usual amount.

I usually give the Room Steward 50% of the standard tip in cash up front, making sure they know this is in addition to the regular tip on the onboard account. This usually ensures good service. So basically, 1 1/2 times the per person amount.

I've had my own room on Celebrity a couple of times and I always tip the room steward/ess 50% more than the recommended amount. While it is per person, I don't think it's fair for them to have to lose a full tip because I cruise solo.

Archived