CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

The Dream is supposedly working fine. The problem is with a backup generator which is not working right, so they took it offline to repair it. A new one will be installed once the ship gets back to Port Canaveral. It was Carnival's decision out of an abundance of caution to not sail the ship with passengers onboard and have a repeat of the Triumph situation with no back up generator.

Because of that, the March 16th cruise has been cancelled.

Now that the mass panic has started to settle down, I want to give all of you something to think about.

WHAT HAS CNN DONE TO US WITH THEIR REPORTING??? Of course we are too smart to fall for a scam, aren't we???

Most of us are too young to remember Orson Welles and his radio rendition of "War of the worlds". That program induced mass panic throughout the country because many didn't know it was a total fake. Some of CNN reporting was based on facts, but much of it was pure hyperbole !!!

Re-think what CNN has reported over the past week or so, then take a look or listen to the radio broadcast.

http://www.transparencynow.com/welles.htm

There are many other links out there, but this one will give you the basic idea of the broadcast.

Or you can google Orson Welles War of the Worlds.

I was wondering, are the two ships that have had recent problems, the same class Carnival ships, e.g. on RCCL the Voyager class encompasses, the Voyager of the Seas, the Explorer, the Adventure, the Mariner and the Navigator of the Seas. If they are the same class it's possible that there is some problems that are inherent to that specific class. This could also pose a problem with any other ships in that class. I think it was Boeing that experienced a rash of fires with a certain class of their jets. They pulled them all from service. I think they just now got the jets repaired and refitted with new wiring harnesses. I know that it's easier for an airline to remove certain planes from their fleet than it is for a cruise line to remove 4 to 5 ships from service, but if it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Then people who are booked need to be notified and their money returned to them so that they can restructure their vacation plans. Carnival can't have people stranded out at sea too many more times. They may be the largest cruise line in the world, but continued incidents like these, along with the Costa Concordia tragedy, could cause them irreparable harm.

Now that the mass panic has started to settle down, I want to give all of you something to think about.

WHAT HAS CNN DONE TO US WITH THEIR REPORTING??? Of course we are too smart to fall for a scam, aren't we???

Most of us are too young to remember Orson Welles and his radio rendition of "War of the worlds". That program induced mass panic throughout the country because many didn't know it was a total fake. Some of CNN reporting was based on facts, but much of it was pure hyperbole !!!

Re-think what CNN has reported over the past week or so, then take a look or listen to the radio broadcast.

There are many other links out there, but this one will give you the basic idea of the broadcast.

You have got to be joking. "War of the worlds" was a complete Halloween hoax; a science fiction dramatization. What CNN, and every other news agency reported about these incidents, actually happened and the biggest reaction was right here on these boards. And as a result of the publicity, a change in the way CCL operates and communicates to its' customers is happening - at least in the short term anyway.

You have got to be joking. "War of the worlds" was a complete Halloween hoax; a science fiction dramatization. What CNN, and every other news agency reported about these incidents, actually happened and the biggest reaction was right here on these boards. And as a result of the publicity, a change in the way CCL operates and communicates to its' customers is happening - at least in the short term anyway.

I thought I was the only one scratching my head on that post.

I'm beginning to think some make life decisions about their daily lives based on the news. I usually don't more than the weather and traffic.

I haven't watched CNN since Triumph Thursday, but I certainly would have scanned the dials looking for a story had there been one. I caught the Dream story on the Today show. I didn't take any of the broadcast personally, but did learn since then there were non working toilets, there were elevator issues, and the passengers were not allowed off for a period of time, mostly overnight till sometime the next morning. There were also some overflowing toilets.

And the passengers for the most part didn't complain because of their location. Perhaps it would have been different had they been in Jamaica, Freeport or Nassau. Who knows?

But the fact remains, none of them were able to complete their cruise.

What CNN reported was lies feed to them by someone seeking a few minutes of fame. Have you read any of the post made by those who where on the ship? Check out the roll call for that sailing date and you will see while CNN was reporting no power and other lies folks on the Dream were watching CNN on Lido Deck.

What CNN reported was lies feed to them by someone seeking a few minutes of fame. Have you read any of the post made by those who where on the ship? Check out the roll call for that sailing date and you will see while CNN was reporting no power and other lies folks on the Dream were watching CNN on Lido Deck.

How else would they report something unless they were there, or someone that was there was feeding information. But saying someone was looking for fame without knowing who was reporting is as wrong as what some are accusing CNN of.

How else would they report something unless they were there, or someone that was there was feeding information. But saying someone was looking for fame without knowing who was reporting is as wrong as what some are accusing CNN of.

This person did idenify themselves and seems many on that sailing are not happy with him for reporting lies that concerned family members at home. True I do not know his motives for doing this my bad.

I thought I was the only one scratching my head on that post.

No, you were not. A completely made up radio hoax is not the same as a media embellished factual event. And I'm sure there are people who were supposed to be on a cruise right who are very upset, especially if they have been planning this for a year.

When this first broke, I turned on CNN to watch it. What exactly did they lie about? They reported toilets and elevators inoperable and power disruption, which was all true. They did embellish by calling it a nightmare cruise, etc, but that's all media satire. If they continued to report power being out because that's what they were being told, it's hardly a lie. It's a product of real time reporting. The ship was in St. Maartin, so they couldn't send a correspondent. All they could do was report what they were told.

When any person is interviewed about a tornado, a crime scene or any news event, do you really think that any news organization does vetting to be sure that a person's observations are 100% accurate. Besides, you really don't know since you weren't there. Most people can see through that and discount what is said - however there is some odd emotional investment on this board and with this chapter of CCL's performance (or lack of performance).

Yep, Webcams show it at sea. No locator though.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/carnival/dream/dream1.php

Yes, it left yesterday afternoon, according to friends who live on island.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/36812-marlin-says-carnivals-adversity-created-opportunities-for-sxm.html

According to the above story, the last passengers left for the airport Sunday morning and some passengers were in fact transferred to other ships.

I guess run down may be the wrong wordage. I think the word I may be looking for is 'dated'. Compared to the modern ships or even Carnival's newer ships in the fleet (the Breeze I believe?), that one seemed so dated. I was a bit surprised that it seemed like they hadn't updated or changed it (at least from an outside perspective). To be fair, maybe the inside is a bit better.

OK, that makes sense! Some may call HAL ships dated, other see it as classic. :D

None the less, not being a cheerleader for any one cruise line (I prefer to be Switzerland), it feels like the media likes to distort so many things to make them seem worse than they are.

That is often the case and for some reason when it related to cruise ships, they go overboard (pun intended). :)

What did CNN report that would have caused panic amongst all its viewers? :confused: :eek:

I was wondering, are the two ships that have had recent problems, the same class Carnival ships, e.g. on RCCL the Voyager class encompasses, the Voyager of the Seas, the Explorer, the Adventure, the Mariner and the Navigator of the Seas. If they are the same class it's possible that there is some problems that are inherent to that specific class. This could also pose a problem with any other ships in that class. I think it was Boeing that experienced a rash of fires with a certain class of their jets. They pulled them all from service. I think they just now got the jets repaired and refitted with new wiring harnesses. I know that it's easier for an airline to remove certain planes from their fleet than it is for a cruise line to remove 4 to 5 ships from service, but if it is a problem that needs to be addressed. Then people who are booked need to be notified and their money returned to them so that they can restructure their vacation plans. Carnival can't have people stranded out at sea too many more times. They may be the largest cruise line in the world, but continued incidents like these, along with the Costa Concordia tragedy, could cause them irreparable harm.

Not only different classes involved but entirely different problems and built a decade apart.

Triumph (Destiny/Triumph class, built 1999): leak in pressurized fuel oil return line resulting in fire.

Dream (Dream class, built 2008): failure of backup electrical generator system during routine test.

Elation (Fantasy class, built 1998): issues with steering control mechanism in one Azipod.

Legend (Spirit class, built 2001): unspecified propulsion issue prevented it attaining full speed.

Carnival has never left anyone stranded at sea. Only with the Triumph fire was the ship disabled and unable to make port under its own steam, it was towed to port. Dream was docked when the generator problem was discovered. Elation & Legend have reportedly been fixed and are sailing.

The battery fire was on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner due to the lithium ion emergency battery. I am with a private jet manufacturer & we use a lot of the same components on multiple model aircraft. You can't really limit a problem to a specific class of ship bc the same engines COULD be used on all ships, just the quantity required. The same generator COULD be used on different types of engines. There are too many factors involved to say it is class specific.

No, you were not. A completely made up radio hoax is not the same as a media embellished factual event. And I'm sure there are people who were supposed to be on a cruise right who are very upset, especially if they have been planning this for a year.

When this first broke, I turned on CNN to watch it. What exactly did they lie about? They reported toilets and elevators inoperable and power disruption, which was all true. They did embellish by calling it a nightmare cruise, etc, but that's all media satire. If they continued to report power being out because that's what they were being told, it's hardly a lie. It's a product of real time reporting. The ship was in St. Maartin, so they couldn't send a correspondent. All they could do was report what they were told.

The power NEVER went off. The elevators didnt work for a little while. Same as toilets. Came back on. Jaime announced they would disable them again. They did. Then they came back on. Was only a for a few hours.

Archived