Did you overpack for Alaska?

debinnh

Hi. I have been reading packing lists for Alaska and they seem rediculously long. Did you over pack? What didn't you need? Or did you skimp and wish you had something that was on one of those lists? I leave in just over a week, so any help would be great.

Everyone says "layer, layer, layer" when you go to Alaska. It's not like it is for us here in the Northeast (I'm from CT) where layering means turtleneck, sweater, etc. More like TShirt & maybe a sweatshirt to go over it. I brought WAY to many long sleave things last year.

A fleece & a short sleeve shirt is enough to keep you warm most of the time.

A sweatshirt,hat & gloves, really just for the little time you're at the glacier or if you plan to hike on any glaciers. If your only going to see the glacier from the ship you can always go inside when you feel cold.

I also used a cardigan sweater at night around the ship & to the shows.

Other then that jeans, shorts & tshirts. Oh ya, lots of people were swimming last year.

Have fun, and if you don't pack it & need it you can always buy it!

kb996, thanks so much for bringing up the different ideas of layering. I also am from the northeast and had the same idea of layering as you did. I was packing turtlenecks for our August trip, but I think I can take them out of the suitcase!

I totally agree with KB. 2003 I took short and L/S tees, flannel shirts, polar fleece vest or jacket, jeans, tennis shoes (sprayed with waterproofing) and raincoat with hood, plus hat and gloves when you cruise the glacier areas. We leave in less that 2 weeks and will pack just the same. Have an awesome time !!! gg

Just back from Alaska - excellent trip. Daytime temps were high 60s low 70s, evening cooler high 40s low 50s.

My typical wardrobe during the day = capri pants or jeans, a tshirt/polo, sweatshirt or light jacket.

On the Misty Fjords boat it was very windy and cool topside while the boar was moving at full speed (I saw people bundled up prety snug in heavier coats/gloves/hats) but the crew was good about telling you when they planed to slow for some special sights and then it was fine (I had on jeans/tshirt/hooded sweatshirt and was fine)

On my helicopter glacier tour I wore a very lightweight turtleneck (thinsulate) with a sweatshirt and then piled on an insulated jacket. It was too much! Even on the glacier it was warm (but we had nice sunny eather too)

Probably the coldest that I got was on deck while cruising Tracy Arm/Sawyer glacier - I had to go find the insulated hooded jacket and my gloves (but then we were on deck a LONG time to see it all)

DH packed four sweatshirts and four pair of jeans and actually wore half that. He also had packed two denim shirts and one flannel shirt and only wore the denim once. (So we could have gotten by with much less.

Suggestions from a first timer just returned...don't bother with sweats unless you can't stand 60 degrees. Didn't take any, didn't need them. We took jackets with fleece jacket/liners and the only time we needed the liners in was in Seward and Tracy Arm due to the dampness.

We wore the liners to the Skagway glacier visit in the helicopter, didn't need them. I also had on my lightweight silk longjohns, totally unnecessary. It was a sunny, warm day, but on a rainy day they might have helped. On a nice day, the glacier is plenty warm with all that sun reflecting off the snow.

You probably won't need a hat, but glove liners (not heavy gloves) are a good thing. Long sleeved tees and short sleeves, plus a jacket, should be useful. A flannel shirt is a good, less bulky layer for nippy days.

Though I bought and brought waterproof wind pants and light jackets for both of us, it really wasn't necessary. The one day we could have used them, in Dawson City, it was because we went to an outdoor presentation and sat out in the pouring rain. Fortunately, the presenter (at Robert Service's cabin) had umbrellas to distribute. We still got pretty damp.

Don't bother with hiking boots unless you are really planning to go for rough trail hikes. I bought some New Balance waterproof walkers, which came in handy for the wet times and were higher than the regular walking shoes I had.

Don't forget the bug spray, if you are going anywhere near the woods. The bloodsuckers at Exit Glacier were extremely hungry and a bigger threat to us than the bear that had been sighted on the main trail that day :)

I've decided to take only one fancy dress and use it for both formal and informal nights, to cut down on weight in the suitcase. I figure I may need to bring a second pair of New Balance in case one pair gets wet.

Yes.....packing becomes a bit of a problem when the weather can change so much from day to day, particularly when you are flying to get to the cruise!

I plan on taking a couple of those nylon warmup/jog/wind suits. They are lightweight, roll up easily and don't crease. They should do for the excursions (I hope) and for time on board during the day, golf type clothes including a pair of shorts for warmer days should do. At this point (6 weeks to go), I am going to pass on the formal wear.....DH can leave jacket and dress shoes at home, and I won't have to pack the fancy shoes. Oh, and my trusty lined nylon vest will be with me too.....for sure!

Also, there won't be any wine or liquor in the bags this time.....I have been duly warned. THAT should save a lot of space!!!!

M.

As a many time Alaska cruiser, you do need a wide range of attire. AND if you spend your time out on deck during your glacier viewing day, you certainly are best to bring a knit hat and gloves. BUT few people do. There is no way to predict and a great many people grossly underestimate, packing like they're at the Caribbean. :) You always see them. So you decide?? To greatly cut down on bulk, I always do my laundry, most always in Skagway, since a long port day and I can be done in a little over an hour with their fast propane dryers. Plenty of time to go purchase some post cards and write them out. Even better when I rent a car here as I just load up near the ship. But I have also walked and taken the shuttle bus.

Suggestions from a first timer just returned...don't bother with sweats unless you can't stand 60 degrees. Didn't take any, didn't need them. We took jackets with fleece jacket/liners and the only time we needed the liners in was in Seward and Tracy Arm due to the dampness.

)

You are lucky that you did not need them. I have cruised in July where it was downright cold. The ship almost sold out of jackets because it was so cold/wet/windy outside. The whole week was cold and I was thankful to have a jacket with a fleece liner (and I still wore a sweatshirt and turtle neck underneath).

The last 2 years have been warm in Alaska but that is not always the case. One needs to be prepared for many ranges of temps in Alaska.

I have cruised many times in May and June to Alaska and it was never as cold as my first Alaskan trip in July.

DH and I WAY overpacked. We ended up using the same clothes over and over again and washed. Most of the clothes did not even get worn. Next time in Alsaka I will take something like:

1 pair of jeans

1 pair of capris

1 pair of shorts

2 sh slv shirts

1 long slv shirt

1 hoodie (I never wore a jacket. I usually wore a short-sleeved shirt and tied the hoodie around my waist so that I could put on and take off as needed.)

rain gear (although we never needed it, it's always a possibility)

for dinner, 2 fancy dresses and the rest "nice" but casual pants or capri's (our dining room was very lax on clothes).

Tennis shoes, sandals, dress shoes

Tide

I never wore the hat I took...my hoodie served that purpose. Wore gloves on balcony when viewing glacier, but really could hav done without. They are small, so I'd proabably throw them in again. On the ship and on excursions you see everything from shorts, to jeans, to capris...whatever you are most comfortable in!

and we are from Florida, there might be some differences in packing. We wore everything that we packed. What is warm to you, is cold to us; so keep that in mind when you read what we packed.

It is COLD to us when the temp is 60 degrees. But, everyone on our ship was wearing heavy coats or layers or both (as in our case) during the Glacier Bay day if they were on the bow or on the upper decks. We also wore gloves and knit hats. Our glacier landing and on Captain Larry's boat required warm clothing, too. The sun was shining and we got sunburned because we didn't apply the sunscreen that was in our cabin:( I suggest if it is a sunny day that you do so.

Our packing list:

lined pants with a lined jacket

khakis

polo type shirts

long silk underwear & tops

Coats that were like ski jackets, gloves, knit hats

turtlenecks

short sleeve shirts

raincoats (didn't need them but you might)

formal wear--tux and dress (some ships do enforce the dress codes)

jacket & tie to wear with khakis for dining room

waterproof light hiking shoes

one pair formal shoes

one pair casual shoes (sandals or tennis shoes)

underclothes

toiletries

We took one carryon each and packed one large suitcase together. We bought those plastic packing bags at Walmart (the ones where you roll and remove the air) and they worked great in saving space. Also, if your bag is inspected then they are easy to see through and replace by the inspectors.

We did use the laundry facilities on the ship to wash our undies and a few shirts the day before we disembarked. Not necessary, though.

We were very proud of our packing because we, too, had read lots of posts on how to pack and we didn't want too much or too little.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.:)

I have SO learned my lesson about packing for Alaska after three trips there. This time, we are going with one medium suitcase for clothes and one empty one for shopping items (since we are going on the last trip of the year and the bargains then are irresistable). We pack for about three days, then do laundry ashore and rewear the clothes. Always take layers because the heatwaves the past two years are not the norm. 50-60 degrees daytime, with anything from sunshine to downpours, and usually pretty chilly in Glacier Bay with it's mini-ecosystem that almost always seems to be a bit damp/cloudy. And, if you are from a traditionally warm climate (FL, SoNV, AZ, SoCal) you will be cooler than those who are used to northern climes.

Wow, lots of info. Yes, being from NH I am not bothered terribly by cool weather. We put on shorts as soon as it turns 60 here! We are doing 5 days on land then the cruise. I was planning on doing laundry on the ship. DH overpacks way more than I do, so I will make his packing list and not let him know all the stuff I read!

Here's what I'm thinking:

1 pr jeans

2 pr zip off pants (which turn into shorts)

1 nice black pants (for dinner)

variety of tshirts

1 denim shirt

1 hoodie

3 blouses (dinner)

1 dress (dinner)

formal wear for dinner (jersey tanks with jackets- very lightweight and pack small, DH is renting a tux with shoes)

1 bathing suit (for snorkle excursion and hot tub)

lined jacket

gloves/hat

2 pr sneakers

1pr dress shoes

1 waterproof jacket that packs into its pocket

DH will be similar, just no dresses!

What do you think?

We overpacked! I wish we had taken more sweatshirts and long sleeved shirts. We took too many short sleeve shirts and "Coldwater Creek" jackets. I would recommend at least 2-3 sweatshirts or fleece tops of some sort. DH brought six pairs of slacks and only wore three.........Dockers, suit pants and jeans. Travel lighter and do laundry if needed. Laundry facilities were great!

Flashdog_1,

I brought 2 pair of sneakers last year due to a suggestion that if one got wet you'd have another. Only used 1 because we had good weather but I also realized that I could have dried them with the hair dryer if they were really bad. This year I'm only taking one pair to save the extra space in the suit case. If you do take 2 pair take an old one and throw them out before you leave the ship to give you extra room on the way home.

My first trip to Alaska was 9/11/01 and it was FREEZING, HOWLING WIND and very rainy. Second trip in September was nearly 80 degrees and very dry. No way to tell from day to day what the weather is actually likely to be. September is the last month of the cruise season for a very good reason, winter starts to set in early a lot of years. Make sure that you have things to layer and rain gear and you should be good to go no matter the weather.

The only thing I am planning on packing, in terms of what I would never normally wear in 40-ish degree weather, are a couple of flannel shirts and a hooded raincoat. Having lived in Chicago (and the general vicinity) for 35+ years, I know what to wear for the cold rainy days. Usually, it would be a t-shirt and jeans.... ;) But since we're planning on being out for extended periods of time, more layering will be needed.

Flashdog_1,

I brought 2 pair of sneakers last year due to a suggestion that if one got wet you'd have another. Only used 1 because we had good weather but I also realized that I could have dried them with the hair dryer if they were really bad. This year I'm only taking one pair to save the extra space in the suit case. If you do take 2 pair take an old one and throw them out before you leave the ship to give you extra room on the way home.

That will save me a couple of pounds and I thank you.

Archived