August weather in the British Isles

SharonK

Hi Sharon,

I'd anticipate anything from 55-75°F in August, and can get lower then 50°F in the far north and Scotland.

I'd bring light summer clothes, with a few light sweaters/jackets for the cooler evenings. Also worth bringing a light rain coat for the inevitable.

August is about as good as it gets in the UK.

You can expect all weathers. You might not get all temperatures from 50 to 90, but then again, you might go outside that range. You'll probably get rain, you'll probably get sunshine, you'll probably get windy days and calm days. You could get the lot. Our weather's variable and, at this range, completely unpredictable. (It's more or less completely unpredictable at a week's notice, actually. And even then, half the country could be hot and sunny while the other half is wet and cold.)

Hi Sharon,

I'd anticipate anything from 55-75°F in August, and can get lower then 50°F in the far north and Scotland.

I'd bring light summer clothes, with a few light sweaters/jackets for the cooler evenings. Also worth bringing a light rain coat for the inevitable.

August is about as good as it gets in the UK.

Thank you for the packing suggestions!

Having lived in the uk for nearly 60 years I'd bring lightweight layers but definately include rain wear and something warm. We're having the same planning discussions for our Baltic cruise.

I would think it might be ever cooler in the Baltics.

• 6 years later...

Of course.  Technically not in the dining room in the evening, (depending on line I guess!) but for everything else.  I live in jeans (and the UK obviously...) The only thing is if you got completely soaked on an excursion they are hard to dry out.  And heavy to pack.

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, June and July are much better.

haha, it’s very subjective isn’t it? 

The longest day of the year is in June with those wonderful long summer nights. The lowest rainfall and highest temperatures for the UK tend to either be in July or August based on historical data. 

7 hours ago, MasterNotCommander said:

haha, it’s very subjective isn’t it? 

The longest day of the year is in June with those wonderful long summer nights. The lowest rainfall and highest temperatures for the UK tend to either be in July or August based on historical data. 

Subjective - yes of course, but it's based on 60+ years of experience.  I agree about the statistics,obviously, but August tends to be more unsettled, which is why I would take June or July as a better time to visit.  

On 3/21/2013 at 2:58 AM, SharonK said:

I would think it might be ever cooler in the Baltics.

Not necessarily.  In two cruises to the Baltic we had quite warm days.  And let's hope that you leave the tornado's of last summer behind, because that influenced the weather during the two cruises I made August and September last around England etc. the most. I wish you a happy cruise with fine weather.

When we were in London a day before a cruise in an August, there was the remnants of a hurricane, a rather unpleasant day. OTOH, when we were in the Baltics on a different August the temperature in St. Petersberg was well into the 80s.