Shore excursions on FOS -- St Maartan

We are cruising eastern carribean on FOS with our 16 your DD and DS. Trying to find shore excursions to give us all something we enjoy.

I like the idea of relaxing DD and DS want activities. I will snorkel but don't love it. They enjoy it. Right now I'm thinking either Tiki Hut snorkel excursion or catamaran Mirabella. It looks like on both I could do a little snorkeling but then find a nice place to relax in sun with a book while DD and DS could snorkel and DH could go back and forth.

Has anyone been on these? Are they worth it? Would you go again?

We are cruising eastern carribean on FOS with our 16 your DD and DS. Trying to find shore excursions to give us all something we enjoy.

I like the idea of relaxing DD and DS want activities. I will snorkel but don't love it. They enjoy it. Right now I'm thinking either Tiki Hut snorkel excursion or catamaran Mirabella. It looks like on both I could do a little snorkeling but then find a nice place to relax in sun with a book while DD and DS could snorkel and DH could go back and forth.

I would check out the Port of Call boards under St Maarten

I highly recommend taking a taxi to the ferry stop for Pinel Island. There is great snorkeling, as the island is a nature preserve, quiet beaches and decent restaurants and bars. Just be sure to arrange a time for the taxi to pick you back up, since there are not usually taxis available there.

You can get more information on the St. Maarten forum under Ports of Call. Pinel Island was beautiful!

Eric

I strongly recommend booking a private tour with Bernard. www.bernardstours.com For $40 pp, you get a comprehensive tour of the island, time at Orient Beach, time in the French capital, and time at Maho Beach when the jumbo jets are landing (google Maho Beach St Maarten to see what that's all about). Beverages, including rum punch, are included. At the end of the tour, you can opt to be dropped off back at the ship, or in the Dutch capital for shopping and more beach time. (Getting back tot he ship from there is easy - about 3/4 mile walk or you can take the water taxi)

Bernard is very reputable, comes very highly recommended on CC, and is very professional.

If a tour is not your thing, the America's Cup Sailing Regatta (SM56) is supposed to be a nice blend of action and relaxation because you can get as involved as you want or not.

I strongly recommend booking a private tour with Bernard. www.bernardstours.com For $40 pp, you get a comprehensive tour of the island, time at Orient Beach, time in the French capital, and time at Maho Beach when the jumbo jets are landing (google Maho Beach St Maarten to see what that's all about). Beverages, including rum punch, are included. At the end of the tour, you can opt to be dropped off back at the ship, or in the Dutch capital for shopping and more beach time. (Getting back tot he ship from there is easy - about 3/4 mile walk or you can take the water taxi)

Bernard is very reputable, comes very highly recommended on CC, and is very professional.

If a tour is not your thing, the America's Cup Sailing Regatta (SM56) is supposed to be a nice blend of action and relaxation because you can get as involved as you want or not.

I have actually done both of these and would recommend either one. Of course, the activities include have to be "your thing", but if they are give one of them a shot. The America's Cup must be booked through the ship, while Bernard's is booked independently. My son, who was just 17 at the time, loved Maho and would have stayed there all day if he could have.

It has been a few years since my last trip to St Maarten, but on the French side of the island, clothing is optional! If you think that could be a problem with teenagers, you may want to stay on the Dutch side.

I JUST got back from the eastern caribbean on the FOS. I (24) went with my wife (24), my parents (55 & 49), her parents (51, 49) and my brother and his wife (28, 28). We did the ATV excursion through royal caribbean. I believe it was about $70 a person and was worth EVERY penny. Both mothers arent outdoors people and were nervous about riding a four wheeler since neither had ever done it before. By the end of the trip, they wanted to continue riding. Everyone loved this excursion. You ride on the roads all throughout St Marteen and stop at Orient Beach for about 1.5 hours (clothing optional). I would DEFINATELY do this again and suggest it for you and your kids.

It has been a few years since my last trip to St Maarten, but on the French side of the island, clothing is optional! If you think that could be a problem with teenagers, you may want to stay on the Dutch side.

True, but Orient Beach has a clothing-optional side, and a more family friendly side. We went to the left (family friendly) side with our teens and it was no problem. We got a distant glimpse of a topless woman, but that's about it.

Archived