Water Island or St. Johns from Crown Bay?

TN-CruiseGirl

We are cruising on the Ruby Princess next weekend, and we will be in St. Thomas on Thursday (4/4). I just found out that we are docking at Crown Bay instead of Havensight. We are trying to determine what to do this time. We have been to St. Thomas multiple times, and we have been to Sapphire beach, Emerald Beach, Trunk Bay on an excursion, Turtle cove on a snorkeling excursion. We enjoy snorkeling and just relaxing on the beach. We have 2 kids (10 and 13), and we also have extended family (7 others) that will probably travel with us. We have used the Safari's before to get around the island for $2 each, but I am not sure if this is possible from Crown Bay. We were planning on doing the St. John excursion on our own (safari to red hook, red hook ferry, and taxi to Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay), but now that we found out that we are in Crown Point, we are not sure if this is a good option.

We are in port from 7:00 am to 4:00 PM on Thursday (4/4). It looks like there is a ferry that runs from Crown Point to Water Island, and we thought this might be something to try. Any suggestions? Help! St John or Water Island?

Has anyone been to water island?

Yes. Water Island is a very short ferry ride from Crown Bay. No taxis, safaris, traffic, ferry, taxi. 10 minute trip instead of an hour plus. In terms of money and time, it is an excellent option. There is a bit of a walk once you get to the ferry dock on Water Island, but it isn't bad, unless someone is really mobility impaired. Heidi's Honeymoon Grill is a treasure.

I, too, think Water Island is the better option from Crown Bay. It's a beautiful beach and it's a very laid back atmosphere. If somebody wants to snorkel, they have to bring their own equipment, because last I was there, nobody was renting any.

As planner for an extended family group you are in the unenviable position of trying to please everyone. There are a couple of things about Honeymoon Beach that you might wish to know so you aren't caught by surprise.

1. Honeymoon Beach is a lovely small beach that you might enjoy but there are no lounge or chair rentals on this beach. There are a few wooden benches under palapas which usually become occupied early in the day.

2. Snorkeling is only so-so as the beach has a sandy bottom and there is no reef.

Whatever you decide for your day in St. Thomas we hope you have a wonderful day!

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted to do one of the other beaches there are tons of safari taxis at Crown Bay just like at Havensite. If a ship is in, they will be there.

We were on the Ruby this time last year. One of my favorite things about the day was being out on the front of the ship while we glided into Crown Bay early in the morning. It was gorgeous.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Water Island. We used to make the trip over to St. John but since finding Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, we have been there several times. It is a gorgeous cove with a beautiful beach and not many people. The Kon Tiki party boat does stop there in early afternoon and the beach will get busier for an hour or two. We just got back from a cruise and I blogged about our trip to Water Island if you want to check it out.

I would definitely recommend a visit to Water Island. We used to make the trip over to St. John but since finding Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, we have been there several times. It is a gorgeous cove with a beautiful beach and not many people. The Kon Tiki party boat does stop there in early afternoon and the beach will get busier for an hour or two. We just got back from a cruise and I blogged about our trip to Water Island if you want to check it out.

Thanks! I will check out your blog and follow you as I am also on blogger. I cant wait to read about your trip on the Valor- we did the same itin on the Victory and loved it.:D

Archived