What's the Point?

MrBanana1240

We may go on the Carnival Freedom and we will dock here. IMO, it's a tourist trap. Can anyone please give me some good excursions, activities or things to do here that Isn't sit on a beach or shop? Thanks.

1. Historic Marker Tour ---> http://keywesthistoricmarkertour.org/index.php?Search=1&ProductCategoryID[]=1

2. Pelican Path tour of historic houses ---> http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/pelican-path-map.html

3. Key West Art & Historical Society at the Old Customs House ---> http://www.kwahs.org/visit/custom-house/

4. The botanical garden within the West Martello Tower ---> http://www.keywestgardenclub.com/

5. Tennessee Williams in Key West ---> http://www.floridabookreview.com/id41.html

Pjk

Ok .. and what port isn't a tourist trap :confused:

We finally got to KW on our last cruise and absolutely LOVED it. See Peter's suggestions above. Absolutely a gorgeous port and SAFE .. unlike most Caribbean or Mexican ports :rolleyes:

Ok .. and what port isn't a tourist trap :confused:

Exactly. Don't just come here and spend the day sitting in Margarittaville. Get out and see the town. Get away from Duval St.

It's a tourist activity, but I suggest booking the hop on/hop off trolly. You get a tour of Key West, and you learn the history. Plus, you can get off at the individual stops and see the sites. Before or after, if you want to walk around, avoid Duval St. Walk down Whitehead St and visit the Hemingway House, lighthouse, Truman Little White House, etc.

There are 2 trolly companies. The one I suggest is City View.

Sloppy Joe's starts serving at 9am and if you go I doubt you will be alone . . .

welcome to Key West

"Beginning at 9:00 am, customers can enjoy their favorite beverage ..."

http://www.sloppyjoes.com/

When I lived in Miami we'd often drive to Key West ... stay about an hour for quick lunch and stretch of the legs, and drive back. The drive was better than the stay

If your ship will stay past sunset, the steet party at Mallory has fun performers most nights and that's free 'cept for what you might buy as a libation, or tip the performers. We used to like the cat juggler.

What's really entertaining is to walk the length of Duval at dawn . . . . my ship made many a liberty stop here, and a relative stationed there had a base house just yards from the 'Southern most point'

Duval at dawn and a Cuban coffee ..... ahhhhh the memories

We may go on the Carnival Freedom and we will dock here. IMO, it's a tourist trap. Can anyone please give me some good excursions, activities or things to do here that Isn't sit on a beach or shop? Thanks.

Visit the Little White House and the Hemingway House both historical buildings with lots of history.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

We just changed our cruise because we want to spend a day in Key West as opposed to Costa Maya which we have already seen. My DH and I are excited to be able to experience it so many thanks for the suggestions that you all have given.

Aquahound or any others that can answer - how do you get to the lighthouse? We love to visit and take pictures of lighthouses.

Key West is awesome! Completely laid back, no hagglers chasing you around begging you to buy crap. It's the least "tourist trap" port I've been to on SEVERAL cruises.

If you like to drink, people watch and laugh your a$$ off, don't miss Yankee Jack at The Bull. We spent the better part of the day drinking two for one drinks and laughing at his antics (She never hugged a parakeet, but she's kissed a cockatoo is one of his many classics.)

Above all >>> CHILL. It's Key West ... Low Key. (pun intended)

It's a tourist trap, only if you let it be. My favorite vacation spots. You don't say what you are "into". There's people watching, history, and a great conservatory. You've been given some great suggestion, it is by far the easiest port to get around on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

All cruise ports are tourist traps...can't stop that. I would suggest the Ernest Hemingway home and visiting the southern most point marker. Stay away from Duval Street if you don't want tourist things but I would suggest stopping at Kilwin's for ice cream.

FWIW, Flamingo Crossing Ice Cream about 7 blocks up Duval is much better and about half the cost of Kilwins.

Mike:)

What?? Better than Kilwins.....don't think that's possible. And when it's a rare treat, than it's worth the few extra $.

Well , we live in SW Florida and we have been going to Key West for many many many years and we still go! I have gone via cruising as well, if you are going to Key West on a ship that arrives in the am and leaves by 3pm then you definately need to book an early morning excursion like (snorkeling, jet ski tour, any of those things) because there is truly not much to see or do until around 11 am or so and then you have to be back on the ship by 3 or so. We usually take our sweet time getting off the ship (sleep in a bit and go to breakfast on the ship) and then go into town later on and enjoy some drinks and music at Irish Kevins (which now serves food) and then back on the ship. We often drive down or take the Key West Express boat from Ft Myers Beach to Key West and stay a long weekend (which we just happen to be doing again Memorial day weekend). We love it! The night life is awesome on the weekends especially, and the feel of the whole Island is super laid back durring the day and fun fun fun at night! SOOO much to explore durring the day, the historial homes throughout Key West ( off the beaten track of Duval) are wonderful and there are so many hidden awesome restaurants to enjoy as well. So "The Point" is , just like every Port you get off of on a cruise , do you research ahead of time and check out what the locals do and where they go , away from the tourist traps! Every cruise we have always booked private tours befor cruise time (never from the cruise line). We have met some incredible people along the way and seen some incredible places as well amist the "tourist traps" hidden in plain sight!

Enjoy Key West, we LOVE it!!! :)

We are gonna be in Key West in Jan. but we are only there from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. We are planning to rent a tandem bike and just ride around. Friends of ours were there this past Jan. and that is what they did and said it was a blast. We are traveling with friends so we will have fun I'm sure.

Archived