Cave Tubing with 10- and 7-year Olds...Can We/Should We?

atljoo

I noticed on the RCCL shore excursions for Belize that the minumum age is 12 for the cave tubing, and that some of the non-ship operators offer the excusions for 8-year olds. My little one is 7, but a great swimmer, plus she's fearless. She competes year-round in swimming so we're not worried about her ability to swim if tipped-over. My DW thought the kids would need to be big enough to reach the water over the tube to navigate.

Any one have experience with younger kids and the cave tubing?

Thanks

We took our 6 year old son this past February. Yes, it can be done... but yes, it can be difficult. They do have child sized tubes.... however, our son was still not really able to reach the water to paddle effectively. He is mostly fearless...but became a bit fearful once in the caves and it was dark. But, no panic......here is what we did.... I hooked my foot under his tube and pulled him along with me. I am not very tall... ok I am rather short ( only 4'10") and I was able to hook to him and reach the water to paddle us both along. I found it easier for me to go backwards and pull him.... with him being my lookout telling me to go left or right ( he was following the head lamps for directions). The ONLY major problem with hooking to him was when we came to the "bottoms up" areas of low water. We were a little stuck on one area.... only because my son would not let me unhook from him to get us off the rocks.

I would say to go for it... as long as you all are willing to cooperate and make it work. ( my husband had to carry 2 tubes through the rain forest ... and I made sure that he was safe and secure in the water) It was an adventure that my son talks about often!!!!!

We used Wet and Wild for our tour this past March. I emailed Marvin the owner and asked about taking our 6 year old son. I told him that I understood what was involved with the trip... the long hike, the time in the water and the long drive back and forth. I told him that I felt confident thast my son could do it... and he did!!!!

We went with Cave-Tubing.com. Yhony was great! We had a 6 and 2 7's with us. They had a great time. Yhony hired extra help because of our little ones. I did not feel afraid at any time that something would happen to our kiddos! Another small child in our group actually fell out of her tube and Yhony was RIGHT THERE to get her! Hope you have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I think pretty much all the tours allow young ones. i contacted both reggie and nacho/cynthia and both of them will take 6 & 7 yo's. and according to other posts here, yhony will take 'em too. good luck in your decision.

I'm kind of nervous about taking my eight year old son as well. I signed up with Coral Breeze tours.

I think I'm going to get some of those glow in the dark necklaces to make sure I see him.

We leave in a few weeks, I can let you know how we make out.

We went with Nacho/Cynthia, couldnt have been happier. I have a 5 year old and an 11 year old, they both did great. What we did was we brought an extra waterproof flashlight for my 5 year old to hold. It really seemed to work well, she liked to use the extra light for looking around. Yes, plan on carrying an extra tube, you may even find yourself with your child on your shoulders by the end of the walk! I would not let it deter you from doing it though, If I could do it all again I would!!

I went with my 10 year old daughter and 5 year old niece last August. We used Reggie. We hired a separate guide who was responsible for the girls so we didn't have to worry. The cost was $25 for the dedicated guide. It eased our minds and the girls had a blast!!

I just returned yesteday from out cruise and with with Cave-Tubing.com. I can encourage you more to go with this Company. It is a small outfit run by Yhoni (the Belize version of Johnny). My reasons are as follows:

1) He is more experienced then your typical tour operator. He worked for the cruise lines for years before going out on his own.

2) He has a brand new airconditioned Ford Econoline van with suspension upgrades. To say the road to the caves is rough in an understatment.

3) He is funny and informative and he quite frankly was as memorable as the caves

4) He will take you to a local place call Amigos for lunch after the cave tour. Although not included in the price it was cheap full of local flavor and the food was the best we had all week.

5) His price is $45 a person, the cheapest non cruise price others were going on wa $70 and we were right there next to them the whole time. No telling what the cruise ship charged. If felt like we got such good service and felt guitly for the price I tipped him an extra $50 for our group of 5.

6) We were on a tight shedule but still had time to eat a leasurely lunch afterwards and returned with two hours to spare.

7) We went with a 7, 10 and 12 year old and Yhonys confidence in the caves and the way he kept us together kept everyone feeling safe so we could relax and enjoy. The organized chaos of the other groups was simple that chaos.

8) He is very reliable. Our cruise ship arrived a day late but he tracked the change and was there waiting on us.

I dont know what more I can say bu for a much better cave tubing experience then being hearded like cattle with the cruise ship trip for a fraction of the costs. Go with Yhoni. The reason I am writing this review is that in the short time I was with him I fell like I made a friend and I think anyone who goes with him will feel the same.

Sam Rothrock

Atlanta GA

Archived