Thomson confiscating your Duty Free

That's what I thought too but........................

In the April 2013 - April 2014 Brochure, in the A-Z Guide, Page 206 bottom line.....

"Alcohol

During your flight and on our cruise ships, you can only drink the alcohol that staff serve you."

When did that creep in? Has anyone got an older brochure? What did it say in there? Is it just a change in the more recent edition?

I suspect they have they put it in the April 2013 - April 2014 brochure, waited until the old brochure is out of date (i.e. the one which went up to April 2013) and are now starting to implement it - pointing us to the brochure to say 'it's in the terms and conditions'?

But that does beg the question of when you booked - what did it say in the current brochure at the time of booking? Shouldn't that be the situation for your cruise? I guess it's been in the A-Z for a while and we've not noticed until they put it into operation! :(

I have copies of old brochures saved as a PDF, and i have looked at May 2011 to Octoer 2012 (May 2011 Edition), and it says the same -

"Alcohol

During your flight and on our cruise ships, you can only drink the alcohol that staff serve you."

So looks like it has always been there!

Doesn't explain the cigarettes though, surely that must be a mistake by the OP?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. We're constantly reviewing our policies and this information is being communicated to customers when they arrive onboard. But we'll make sure all your feedback is passed on to the Cruise Team.

Thanks,

Rhiannon

And cigarettes, are we banned from smoking our own on board as well, as the OP states you cannot get these from the duty free shop either, do we now have to pay more and only buy them from the bars?

Can you advise me as to what the point will be in paying the balance of my cruise? As you insist, every week, changing things to p**s off your loyal customers, what is the point, i might just as well say sod the deposit (money is no problem, i would rather pay more to enjoy myself), and book with a cruise line that gives the opinion of caring about you, Thomson are losing face now, and looking very stupid!!

I have copies of old brochures saved as a PDF, and i have looked at May 2011 to Octoer 2012 (May 2011 Edition), and it says the same -

"Alcohol

So looks like it has always been there!

Doesn't explain the cigarettes though, surely that must be a mistake by the OP?

Thanks for answering my query sodafountain. So, it's been there for some considerable time then and they're only just acting on it. :(

Thanks for answering my query sodafountain. So, it's been there for some considerable time then and they're only just acting on it. :(

We wen on trans Atlantic in December and non of this was enforced then, we carried on beer and whiskey and they just let us through...will they be searches all our suitcases as well?

Wold lik some clarification on his thomson

This really is rubbish :mad:. Your cabin is like your hotel room and no one ever stops you eating and drinking what you want in there. I always have juice in the cabin, are they going to remove that aswell?:(

It makes me wonder where Thomson place themselves in the market!

I have never been on a Thomson cruise before, however I have been on RCCL/Princess and P&O, Royal olympic, Louis, and Sun cruises.

I have always assumed that Thomson were on the cheaper end of the market simialar to the now defunct Sun Cruises (Airtours) and ocean village types.

Dont get me wrong, i am not making any call on standards, but you get what you pay for ( in most cases)

I have a friend called Sue, (Lass) who is a pando employee and she introduced me to cruising many years ago.

Even though we have sailed on all the big and smaller ships on different companies, some of my favourite cruises have been on the Sun Cruises M/V Seawing.

The most ugly looking ship, she was, with the most old fashioned decor and facilites. But you what, it was the best fun and times ever.

Once part of NCL and once their biggest ship.....

I think its now in some place in India being broken up now..... well past its prime but what a fun place to be.

My friend Sue (Lass) and i are planning another cruise soon. She is always flirting witht he waiters from Goa. She loves all of them !!

Naughty Sue :D

I have never been on a Thomson cruise before, however I have been on RCCL/Princess and P&O, Royal olympic, Louis, and Sun cruises.

I have always assumed that Thomson were on the cheaper end of the market simialar to the now defunct Sun Cruises (Airtours) and ocean village types.

Dont get me wrong, i am not making any call on standards, but you get what you pay for ( in most cases)

I have a friend called Sue, (Lass) who is a pando employee and she introduced me to cruising many years ago.

Even though we have sailed on all the big and smaller ships on different companies, some of my favourite cruises have been on the Sun Cruises M/V Seawing.

The most ugly looking ship, she was, with the most old fashioned decor and facilites. But you what, it was the best fun and times ever.

Once part of NCL and once their biggest ship.....

I think its now in some place in India being broken up now..... well past its prime but what a fun place to be.

My friend Sue (Lass) and i are planning another cruise soon. She is always flirting witht he waiters from Goa. She loves all of them !!

Naughty Sue :D

Well as has been reported recently with HAL offering 7-night cruises to the Fjords at £399 and the P&O 14-night cruise I've just booked at about £200p.p. cheaper than the equivalent Thomson cruise - cheap isn't necessarily an accurate description of a Thomson cruise.

'Getting what you pay for' is rather subjective and depends on what you value. You have said that you can have a great holiday on older ships which is very true if you don't want ice rinks, wave machines etc. A ship with superb service, top class entertainment and a warm welcoming ambience is certainly one I prefer to the stuffy or pretentious. Port intensive itineraries, local airport departures and a cruise company with it's own aircraft which takes all the angst over coordinating travel is quite an attractive package too and these are very positive features of Thomson cruises.

Thomson has a good product and one that is valued by its many regular customers who aren't settling for something inferior. But it's the software not the hardware where they score so highly. We go from choice to Thomson not because we can't afford the prices of other cruise lines. We paid more to go to the Caribbean this year for a 14 night Thomson cruise than it would have cost on Ventura or Azura.

My concern at the moment is the way certain little things are changing which is making Thomson more like its competitors - and that's not a place some of us want to go!

Well said, Kruzseeka.

Have never taken duty free onboard to drink as we have always had AI/drinks package & we don't smoke but I do feel this is taking it too far; there's a lot of competition out there right now Thomson, even more so now that P&O are doing the Med fly cruises on big ships-not my style but I'm sure there will be many considering jumping ship for 2014.

Go back to what you used to be Thomson - we don't want you attract the "wrong kind of people" because you have to drop your prices drastically to fill your ships because you're not looking after your loyal customers - we love our Thomson cruise holidays but not too keen on a lot of things we are currently hearing :(:(:(

From a different thread but it's hit a chord for me in respect of what we've been discussing here.

Thomson Cruise brand is gradually losing its USPs. Sadly they are also gradually losing me.

That's it! You have identified in a few words what I've been trying to say for days (ok - I know my weakness - never use a few words when dozens will do!:eek: :D )

With more companies cashing in on what used to be special to Thomson (ships based in the Med, regional airport departures, included gratuities, some with included drink packages etc) it is essential Thomson does its best to retain custom not lose it.

Most comments on here, whilst they have an element of complaint within them, I see as constructive criticism from many who want Thomson to be successful. We are concerned for our beloved Thomson product, ships and wonderful crews and want to be able to enjoy the kind of holidays we have experienced in the past. Not all change is bad - but some is alienating customers! And there's the danger.

I have 3 cruises booked this year with Thomsons and we have the drinks package on all of them. We also buy booze in the duty free shop for drinking in the cabin and the making up of cocktails when off ship. If we can't have the booze in our cabin that means Thomson will loose out as I will be taking drinks from the bar back to the cabin!! Thomson's loss:D:D

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your comments with us. We're constantly reviewing our policies and this information is being communicated to customers when they arrive onboard. But we'll make sure all your feedback is passed on to the Cruise Team.

Thanks,

Rhiannon

Rhiannon,

Can you please clarify and confirm.

Can passengers purchase duty free liquor from the onboard shop when the ship is at sea and take it to their cabin for private consumption ?

That has been the case on the previous 3 Thomsons cruises we have enjoyed.

If a new policy is place, does it affect all ships in the fleet ?

WCM

We are a bit confused as to what exactly is happening here. Are you saying that any duty free bought at the airport or on the plane is taken from you and given back to be packed at the end of the cruise?

and

Anything bought from Duty Free on board the ship, or brought onto the ship from one of the excursions is taken from you and given back at the end of the cruise?

and

No duty free alcohol can be drunk in the cabins?

If this is the case does that mean only items purchased through the mini bar in the cabin can be drunk in the cabin? Also I would hate having to try and pack loads of duty free bottles at the end of the cruise too. Why have a duty free shop on board at all. None of this makes sense.

We are a bit confused as to what exactly is happening here. Are you saying that any duty free bought at the airport or on the plane is taken from you and given back to be packed at the end of the cruise?

and

Anything bought from Duty Free on board the ship, or brought onto the ship from one of the excursions is taken from you and given back at the end of the cruise?

and

No duty free alcohol can be drunk in the cabins?

If this is the case does that mean only items purchased through the mini bar in the cabin can be drunk in the cabin? Also I would hate having to try and pack loads of duty free bottles at the end of the cruise too. Why have a duty free shop on board at all. None of this makes sense.

That's what it seems like, in common with the American lines. Of course you could bring a drink from the bar back to your cabin.

You say that drinks bought at the bar can be taken to the cabin. By the time my husband who walks with a stick would get his cocktail to the cabin, the ice would have melted and it would not be the drink he had ordered.

Hmmm. Start asking for cocktails without ice and get the steward to supply it in the cabin.

Still cannot see why have a duty free shop if you cannot enjoy drinking what you buy.

Kruzseeka,

Please remind me which ships are managed by Louis, and which by Thomson.

Not something I've paid much attention to.

Hi WCM, Spirit and Majesty are Louis managed - Dream and Celebration Thomson managed.

C & D are what they term 'bare boat charters' i.e. Thomson in effect charter an empty ship and are therefore responsible for staffing the ship through agencies (they use the same one for the crew for both ships hence the movement of waiters between the two ships) and they therefore call the shots in terms of managing all on-board services - including the bars.

With the Spirit and Majesty as I understand it - Thomson charter the ship with the crew from Louis - and Louis manage the running of the ship. (I think they use a different agency from Thomson to recruit waiters etc so you don't get free movement of waiting or housekeeping staff between the Thomson/Louis ships - unless the individual changes agency.)

This I believe explains the differences we've noted in the old AIs (previously better on C&D than M&S - but now brought into line) and must have something to do with the fact that you can buy wine/beer packages on the Louis ships but not Thomson's. Some years ago even your excursion tickets used to say 'Louis Management' on them although last time we were on Spirit I think it said Thomson Cruises.

And now we wait to see if the duty free issue is across the fleet or just on the Thomson ships and not Louis.

This could well be a simplistic explanation re the difference between the leasing arrangements - I'm sure others will be able to contribute more on that but suffice to say two ships seem to operate in one way and the other two in another in some situations. :confused::confused::confused:

Archived