Alaskan Cruise

luvinacruise

We are planning a cruise to Alaska. Both the Pearl and the Jewel offer pretty much the same itinerary. The difference is Glacier Bay on The Pearl and Sawyer Glacier on the Jewel. Any feedback on the ships or the trips would be appreciated. We love NCL.. Thank you

I'm not going to be a dissenting opinion here, but can you get up close to the glaciers in glacier bay? This is Sawyer Glacier on an NCL excursion on our Jewel trip.

IMG_2163-vi.jpg

IMG_3201-vi.jpg

IMG_3190-vi.jpg

I'm also not sure of the path that the Pearl takes out of Skagway. I suspect it's the same as the Jewel, but I have to say that the most stunning scenery was of Sullivan Island in the late afternoon heading south out of Skagway.

IMG_3411-vi.jpg

IMG_3451-vi.jpg

I have a review of our Jewel trip in my signature area. My pictures from the trip can be found here. http://public.fotki.com/ritchiefamily/san_diego_family/2012-pictures/alaska-cruise-2012/

We cruised Alaska on HAL last year and had the opportunity to see both on our itinerary. You can't go wrong with either but if we could only choose one, it would be Glacier Bay, no contest.

Here are our photos of Tracy Arm, with both North and South Sawyer Glaciers:

And here are our photos of Glacier Bay:

Both are beautiful but Glacier Bay literally took my breath away.

Hey spacepotatos. - I noticed in your glacier pics that they weren't very blue. Were those just the pictures, or was the ice mostly white in Glacier Bay?

The color was stunning down at Sawyer Glacier

IMG_2160-vi.jpg?1364752062

Hey spacepotatos. - I noticed in your glacier pics that they weren't very blue. Were those just the pictures, or was the ice mostly white in Glacier Bay?

The color was stunning down at Sawyer Glacier

IMG_2160-vi.jpg?1364752062

We noticed that Sawyer was bluer as well. I think the weather may have been partly responsible for that. It was overcast while we were in Tracy Arm and when we initially got to Glacier Bay. Everything seemed bluer then. As we were approaching the Margerie glacier, the sun came out and it got whiter. We noticed that as the sun changed position throughout the day, some parts would appear bluer than others.

My parents went on the same cruise two years ago and it was overcast the entire time they were in Glacier Bay. Their photos look bluer than ours but still not as blue as the Sawyer Glaciers.

For our 40th anniversary we did Alaska on the Pearl. We were lucky enough to get an upsell to bow penthouse which was wonderful for Glacier Bay Day. Caps are intentional - Glacier Bay is just gorgeous.

In June we are doing the northbound Alaska cruise on the Sun. Have a bow stateroom again but no penthouse this time. Sailing again with our best friends for their first Alaska cruise.

If you can do a Monday to Monday cruise and don't have to fly round trip Seattle the Sun itinerary is really wonderful.

Mon Vancouver, Canada 4:00 PM Tue Cruising the Inside Passage Wed Ketchikan 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Thu Juneau 10:00 AM 8:00 PM Fri Skagway 7:00 AM 8:00 PM Sat Glacier Bay Sun Hubbard Glacier Mon Whittier 8:00 AM

You have both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. You lose one port day (Victoria BC) but gain two beautiful glacier sailing days with -0- excursion costs. The port times are better/longer than the Pearl/Jewel cruises.

We're driving to Seattle, taking light rail to the Amtrak station, taking Amtrak to Vancouver BC. Amtrak $55 pp senior business class. We're flying from Anchorage (about an hour from Whittier) to Seattle. Got killer airfare Anchorage to Seattle for $117 pp. The one way car rental Whittier to Anchorage is $369 :eek: but we're doing an redeye flight and will spend the day/evening sightseeing. There are less expensive transfer options.

Our very first Norwegian cruise was on the Sun - had wonderful stern penthouse 9076. We're very happy to be back on her and looking forward to another great cruise.

I'm not going to be a dissenting opinion here, but can you get up close to the glaciers in glacier bay? This is Sawyer Glacier on an NCL excursion on our Jewel trip.

IMG_2163-vi.jpg

I just read your review. We'll be on the Jewel following the same itinerary. We are so excited.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of camera you were using? Your photos are amazing!

One caution about the Sawyer Glacier catamaran excursion -- if you cruise early in the season, the catamaran may not be able to get close to the glacier. You will see plenty of gorgeous scenery anyway, but just be prepared. Also, sometime around mid August, the company that does the excursions, moves its boats out of Juneau, so the excursion isn't available from then through the end of the season.

This summer we are going to Alaska for the third time, and it will be our first time at Glacier Bay. We are really excited to see it. We saw Hubbard Glacier last summer, and it was stunning. Those people who are going on the Sun this year and are seeing both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are in for a real treat.

Mike, unbelievable photos. You were a quick learner!

One caution about the Sawyer Glacier catamaran excursion -- if you cruise early in the season, the catamaran may not be able to get close to the glacier. You will see plenty of gorgeous scenery anyway, but just be prepared. Also, sometime around mid August, the company that does the excursions, moves its boats out of Juneau, so the excursion isn't available from then through the end of the season.

Would you happen to know who does the catamaran excursion? Or is that the name of the company?

Granted we did Alaska on HAL quite a few years ago but one general rule I formed then was (all other things being equal) select the smallest ship. They can get to places the really large ships can't. Less ship features is not a problem because the scenery makes up for it. In one case we had been followed by a Celebrity ship all day in inside passage when we diverted into some very narrow passages for the rest of the day while 'X' continued in the main channel. Saw many waterfalls and groups of eagles close up. Later when we rejoined the larger channel I noted the Celeb ship was once again a few miles back.

That cruise did Glacier Bay but there were restrictions on how close to glaciers any ship could get. Later, on way to Seward, we spent a day in College Fjord - OMG was that spectacular :eek:!!! Very seldom is that on an itinerary and in my book would be must do route. Puts Glacier Bay totally to shame. Got very close up to Harvard Glacier which was calving like mad. Waves from city bus sized chunks rocked the ship really good.

Stock photo from web:

college-fjord-glaciers_1175.jpg

My family is planning a family cruise to Alaska in 2014. I just can't get excited about going to Alaska, maybe because I was born and raised in the snowy country of Canada (but now live in Florida).

Is there anything you can tell me that can make me "excited" for Alaska?

My typical cruise is usually the Carribean!!:)

Archived