Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Yes, we made it to the ship! And with luggage too. Our bags were the last three off, I guess because they had spent the night at DFW.

Anyway, boarded just after noon with a quick checkin. Up to La terraza for lunch where we met Wes and Ida in person. La terraza is sort of the equivalent of LA Veranda on Regent, with buffet at breakfast and lunch, then Italian at night. We will eat dinner there tonight.

The buffet is in a separate room from the dining area, and there is not as much light as La Veranda in the dining area. There is a good sized outdoor dining area though.

Rooms were ready at about 2:00. I took a nice nap on our deck while waiting for the luggage. We are in a veranda 4 suite which is similar to the standard suites on Regent. Nice sized bathroom with separate easy to step in tub, an odd shaped shower that is quite roomy but sort of an elongated pentagon, and the craziest sink ever. It is a oblong bowl with very sloping sides. The water comes in from a single tap on one side, but if there is any pressure at all, it sprays all over you and the mirror.

Closet is adequate but not huge. Bed very comfortable, like a slightly large queen, with a pillow menu. TV is built into the mirror, so it looks like a mirror when off, with one on the bed area and one in the sitting area. Comfortable couch and chair.

Only 2 complaints with room. First a totally inadequate number of outlets for recharging. I can only find one. And the furniture on the deck, while extremely comfortable, is very old with a lot of rust grime on the legs. It does not look good at all.

After muster, I did a good walk/jog up on deck and got some sun.

Dinner was in La Champagne. It was very good. Not sure if it was $30 pp extra good, but we enjoyed it. The setting is very elegant with large wine cabinets, lots of 2 tops which can be pushed together to make larger tables. Waiters quite efficient and quick to refill glasses. They offered a California sparking wine followed by Chilean white and reds. Not great but very drinkable. Portions were on the small side, which I like when doing multiple courses. They bring a sampler plate of 4 small appetizers first. Each is just enough for a bit but very good-foie gras, mushroom soup, lobster, and a scallop. George's lamb was excellent as was my lobster.

A good night's sleep on calm seas, then up to do 45 min walk run on the deck this am. It is a bit overcast today, but temp is just perfect.

Enjoying your posts, and glad to hear that you are all having a good time! Wish we were there with all of you. This work thing has got to go...:mad:

RachelG, happy to hear that your bags arrived with you.

Threechicks: SS is all-inclusive, and you can drink wine all day and night without paying a nickel. But you have the opportunity to purchase more expensive wine, which isn't included for free, if you'd like. You can purchase ahead in "packages" with a discount, or purchase a la carte at their list prices (which are actually not bad).

Wes, Every time we converse on these boards and e-mail I feel we need to cruise together. Doug may have spotted Ida first in person but I have given you the jealous bit long before. When you get home please e-mail me your phone as we are planning another cruise albeit on RSSC. Can't renounce $11.5k in credits. We need to talk so we can have fun. BTW the most difficult part as I expect you know is taking care of the 4 leggers:).

As said before, Time to meet,

Bill

PS Ida will have competition. Wendy has been beautiful for 47 yrs.

Good afternoon from the Silver Spirit.

Ida and I enjoyed a wonderful lunch at La Terraza with RachelG/Rachel and George and our new cruise friend Margot Watson, EnglishUSA/David joined us for desert.

Beachtango, Dougburns, JPAlbanyNY, NewLondon; thanks again for your too kind comments. JP thanks for splaining the reasonable deals on the wine packages available from the Connisseur's list. Spied a wonderful Don Melcher Cab we will also try.

We had an outstanding Silversea/Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. Silversea provided exceptional support (best support of the dozen CC meet &greets Ida and I’ve attended on Regent & SS). All Spirit team leaders except the Captain attended (Hotel Director, Paolo; Executive Chef, Ricardo Dotti, Cruise Director; Dong; Food & Bev Mgr, Stephan; Restaurant Mgr, Marcelo), mimosa’s, bloody mary’s, champagne flowed along with a variety of tasty horse dervies. SS had reserved the starboard side of the Panorama lounge and placed the chairs in a semi-circle, marked off the area with a nice stenciled Cruise Critic sign. Please, enjoy a few pix:

Name Tags for our Cruise Critics arrayed prior to our meet & greet.

002_zpsd868d5cc.jpg

Jenny (SS waitress) Ida, Orange County Murphy/Colleen, SS passenger, Margot seated and Paolo

004_zpsd7a0169e.jpg

Cruise Director, Don Fluke, and BBbonprince/Brian (right) and Brian’s friend, RachelG/Rachel far right.

006_zpsda24eb9f.jpg

Bsrkent/Steve, RachelG/Rachel, and Orange County Murphy/Colleen

008_zpsdc5f4a7c.jpg

EnglishUSA/David, Restaurant Mgr, Marcelo, Exec Chef, Ricardo, Wes, Myra, F&B Mgr, Stephan; Cruise Director, Don, Steve.

010_zps764b9a80.jpg

Most our our Meet & Greet guests

012_zpsca1ef800.jpg

Lovely meet and greet. Thanks Wes and Ida for arranging! Met lots of nice people and was able to place faces with names.

Had a hot stone massage after our lunch. Very nice, with only slight attempt at selling products. Off to trivia in a bit.

Had posted earlier to answer threechicks question about wine, but it went into the cyber world somewhere!

Loved EnglishUSA's costa shirt. On the back it says "trust me, I'm the captain".

Very, very late to the party, but wanted to pass along my well wishes to some of the nicest contributors to the CC Silversea forum in Colonel(Ret.)Wes and RachelG. May the continuation of your crossing be even more enjoyable than the beginning of your lovely journey.

It was great to read (and see!) about the CC Meet & Greet and the support provided by Silversea. The name tags were a nice touch for the 31 participants to get to know one another. Also, enjoyed seeing some familiar crew faces (CD-Don, MD-Marcello, and ExecChef-Ricardo) from our Thanksgiving voyage on the Whisper. We really enjoyed Ricardo's cooking in La Terrazza during our time cruising the Caribbean Sea.

Wes, glad you are having a terrific time with the terrific crew on the Spirit!! Please give our warmest regards to the wonderful Myra, Marcello of Terrazza, and Marcelo of the MDR! And when you use the recumbent bicycles, the one on the left is best. The other had some problems last month.

Dieter and Debbie

Oh boy, back-to-back TA blogs! Will be fun to compare your comments/accounts, Wes (yours, too, Rachel), with Tina's, TC2's and Tom's posts on the just concluded Regent Mariner TA. Wishing you and Ida a crossing that is grand in every way.

Rich

A nice warm morning today, with the actual ability to see the sun. A little breezy but perfect for walking.

Yesterday, our trivia team, the CC Writers, came in 3rd. We missed only 2 questions, so competition is tough. We will try to do better today.

Dinner in La Terraza was fabulous. One of the best meals we have had at sea. There was a little niggle at the start as the waiter offered us prosecco. I said yes, but George requested red wine as he does not like the bubbly stuff. We waited and waited, about 15 minutes. George was wanting to leave. Finally another waiter came to take the dinner order. George asked where his wine was. There had been a communication error, which is what I suspected. Anyway, he got his wine right away, and we were glad we stayed.

Started with salads, then lentil soup. Both perfect. I had veal topped with arugula and tomatoes for my main while George had the duck ragout pappardelle which he proclaimed best ever. He had tiramisu for dessert followed by biscotti and limoncello. Outstanding!

I guess we are still recovering from our stressful trip and lack of sleep because we just crashed after that. I never sleep better than on a ship and last night was no exception.

Today is a lovely day at sea to do nothing. Next two will be in Bermuda, so George and I are deciding what to do. Hoping for good weather. The forecast has not been encouraging.

Our lecturer is William Peck. He is a former ambassador to Iraq and quite good. Too bad I have heard all the lectures he has done so far, as he was lecturer on Regent Mariner on the South America cruise last year. I am hoping he will have a couple of new ones to pull out.

Love@cruise, Dougburns, Stumblefoot, Wellseasoned, Ging466, Mr. Rumor, Harbormaster; TVM (Thanks Very Much) for your gracious comments--simply our pleasure to give back to the SS board. Mary & Mike absolutely will have Ida give a big kiss to Marcelo and bigger one to Ricardo. Doug, will be sure to pass along to Marcello your warm regards. Stumblefoot--again thanks for your very nice words. Dieter & Debbie will be happy to pass along your warm regards to Myra, Marcelo and Marcello. John, Kathy; we look forward to reaching Bermuda tomorrow (will get to run on land vs round and round and round the ship decks 7,8,9,10. By the way Doug Paolo said he would keep Nico's paddling pool for the fall crossing so you two Navy Vets can enjoy some paddling :)

Last night we enjoyed the classical pianist Halida Dinova's performance in the Show Lounge. Afterwords, Ida took her up to the Panorama lounge where it was rocking to Beatles tunes. Ida danced the nite away with many of the male entertainers--who implored her to come back tonight after their ABBA performance. In fact, this morning after I brought her a togo cup of delicious Panorama cappuccino (Bagyo already intuitively asks if I will take another to go cup to my wife after I order my coffee) she showed me that the sole of her shoe came loose from all her late nite hoofing.

This morning was more difficult to get started since we advanced our clocks an hour--during my hour run kept going back & forth from Deck 9 (Panorama) to the main bar (deck 5) for a coffee shot. Alas, no where on board you can get a cup of coffee from 5-6a.m. Just before swimming laps, talked with Paolo who was making his rounds--he said good point about coffee not being available. He did let me know I could call room service--will do that for a standing order of a pot delivered by our suite door at 4:45 a.m. Will ask Paolo to consider putting a self service coffee pot either in Main Bar (deck 5), Observation Loung (Deck 11) or the Panorama Lounge for the very early risers.

Today's highlights include a cooking demo by the Exec Chef, Ricardo just before lunch, enrichment lectures x2, and then it is our first formal night. Captain Pontillo will introduce the Spirit leadership in the main bar at 7pm. Lobster, Dover Sole and Beef Wellington are on tap for The Restaurant tonight.

Please take a look at the Cruise Critic Trivia team on board, aptly named, “CC Writers.” LtoR, EngilshUsa/David, bsrkent/Steve, RachelG/Rachel, OrangeCountyMurphy/Colleen continuing across, OrangeCountyMurphy/Paul, bsrkent/Barb and two recruits added to the team.

ss23002_zps9525f131.jpg

Another one of our favorite waiters on both Silversea and Regent Ismael served us in Le Champagne last night, leaning in towards Ida. Ismael took our order, Ida had the Lobster Thermador and I had the Dover sole. Thanks to EnglishUsa’s generous gift, we paired with a delightful 2003 Dom Perignon

ss23006_zps3184a8ca.jpg

Picture of Ida’s decadent Chocolate Desert before she devoured it—she did share (delish)

ss23009_zps4079278e.jpg

Starting our Silversea Crew Member Profile. Please meet Ismael who has been with Silversea for two years. Ismael is from Turkey (Istanbul) and is soon to be engaged. What he likes best about Silversea is the work and pay his cruise work provides.

ss23010_zps0ee80f28.jpg

Wes - Great idea to spotlight various crew members. We remember Ismael well from a previous cruise and thought he was very good. We're so glad that Marcelo is back on board and hope he will be there in November for the TA. He is one of the best maitre d's that SS has.

Tried to edit my post but too much time elapsed. The lecturer is Edward Peck, not William. Don't know where I came up with that first name.

Just had a nice cup of tea in the observation lounge and chatted with one of the singers on board, Jennifer. What a charming young lady. I look forward to the Abba show tonight.

Wes,

Quick question re: coffee at "4:45 a.m"

What is this 445am and what does it look like?

Just kidding but I must remark on your dedication to your run to see this time of the morning on vacation.

Keep enjoying (and reporting)!

Do like the crew profile idea. Ismael looked after us very well in February and the short profile above made us quite nostalgic.

Looks like this thread could become the highlight of the daily web-surf!

Archived