Central London to Windsor Castle

We'll be in London for a few days this summer and will probably take a day trip to see Windsor Castle.

My guide book says that the train from Paddington Station to Windsor will take 2.5 hours. Is this correct? It seems like a long time for a 30 mile (or so) trip.

Am I mistaken or am I missing something here?

John

No, it isn't correct! London Paddington to Windsor and Eton Central should be between 25 and 40 minutes, depending on whether you have to change trains (I think you do have to change most of the time). London Waterloo to Windsor and Eton Riverside should be about 50 minutes, no changes.

Can't think where the 2.5 hours came from in the book.

• 1 month later...

We just did this two days ago. We took the train from Waterloo to Windsor and it took about 50 minutes (there was tons of stops), then it was a short walk through the town to Windsor Castle. By the way, if you have a travel card for the tubes/buses, show it when you buy your ticket, we got some kind of discount and out train tickets only cost us five pounds twenty round-trip. If you take a train after 10:00am it is cheaper.

Tammy

• 8 months later...

Good Day,

Nick or Globaliser If you could only go to Windsor or Hampton Court which would you pick and why? Is the Princes Di walh/fountain open? Have the repairs on St. Paul's been completed? We are doing the TA on The Jewel in May and I have been reading all the posts I can, thanks for all your good good information. So nice of you to help us across the pond.

I can only really answer the last one, which is that the repairs haven't been completed (it'll be some time, yet), but the scaffolding is now off the front so the most famous view of the building has been largely restored.

The state of the Diana memorial is a complete joke. I'm not sure that you'll ever know for suer whether it's open or closed until you turn up on the day to have a look at it. It's a complete fiasco.

Sue, in truth I have never been to Hampton Court but I have been to Windsor Castle several times (and in fact paraded in front of the Queen, the Queen Mother and Prince Phillip there in my Army days) and it is excellent and I would recommend visiting.

HERE is Hampton Court's homepage if you have not found it already.

HERE is Windsor Castle's page.

I agree with Globaliser regarding Princess Diana's memorial, which has become something of a joke in our media.

Nick.

I visited Windsor Castle in 2002, and was surprised that the town of Windsor was right on top of it! I was expecting more countryside around the castle! The town is very cute, and a fun place to walk around.

Nancy, that surprised us as well! I also expected a lot of land surrounding it and couldn't believe that the town was right on the other side of the wall. Loved it though and can't wait to show our kids in July.

• 1 month later...

We took the train from Paddington Station to Slough, then changed trains and went to Windsor Castle. It is not a long trip at all. Biggest wait was waiting on the train at Slough! Had a great time. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Very easy to do!

Archived