Anything Montreal

sebas030

• 1 month later...

Work has started to thoroughly restore the Iberville Maritime Terminal for cruises. Therefore, the cruise dock activities at Alexandra Pier will be relocated for the 2016 season. Most ships will dock at berths 34-37, smaller ships at dock M. Among services offered at the temporary terminal (berths 34-37) there will be:

Complimentary shuttle to Old Montréal - Alexandra Pier

Free wi-fi

Free long-term parking for cruisers

Taxi stand

Tourism info. desk

Luggage consignment service in front of Alexandra Pier (where the shuttle stops) etc.

More info. with maps, docking allocation, directions and other links:

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-passenger-terminal.html

Video of the new terminal project:

• 1 month later...
Work has started to thoroughly restore the Iberville Maritime Terminal for cruises. Therefore, the cruise dock activities at Alexandra Pier will be relocated for the 2016 season. Most ships will dock at berths 34-37, smaller ships at dock M. Among services offered at the temporary terminal (berths 34-37) there will be:

Complimentary shuttle to Old Montréal - Alexandra Pier

Free wi-fi

Free long-term parking for cruisers

Taxi stand

Tourism info. desk

Luggage consignment service in front of Alexandra Pier (where the shuttle stops) etc.

More info. with maps, docking allocation, directions and other links:

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-passenger-terminal.html

Video of the new terminal project:

The following recent HAL thread contains info. about things to see around the temporary main terminal, pronunciation of Pie-IX where it is situated ("pea-nuf" not "pie-9" to ask for directions), info. about downtown, etc.:

"Montreal change in Cruise Port"`:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334521&page=2

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

I have never rented a limo. or bought a private tour, so I cannot recommend specific companies. From Trip Advisor comments I have seen, some limo. companies are reliable and some are not. So, what I would do, is find a tour company you would like to deal with according to your interests. Then, let them deal with the limousine rental.

Here are some Trip Advisor links which I think might be helpful:

"Montreal Guided Tours":

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155032-c204820/Montreal:Quebec:Guided.Tours.html

Viator link private transfer offers. with reviews (Viator is affiliated to Trip Advisor which is affiliated to Cruise Critic so I guess it is ok to put it here):

http://www.viator.com/Montreal-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d625-g15?page=1&activities=all&sortBy=PRICE_FROM

any suggestions for good poutine in montreal?

I rarely eat out, so I do not have a specific place to suggest. Furthermore, I would never recommend a restaurant I haven't tried myself. However, another poster put poutine places suggestions on post #350 page 18 of this thread. You might want to take a look.

I rarely eat out, so I do not have a specific place to suggest. Furthermore, I would never recommend a restaurant I haven't tried myself. However, another poster put poutine places suggestions on post #350 page 18 of this thread. You might want to take a look.

I will second the Montreal Poutine recommendation from that post in the Old Port are. We visited Montreal in January and went there. It was great.

New gates at the international terminal and other enhancements are currently being added to Montreal's International Airport.

"A glance at upcoming improvement":

http://www.admtl.com/en/adm/communities/glanceimprovements

Also, a new free phone app is available on ITune to navigate through the airport.

"YULi mobile app":

http://www.admtl.com/en/mobile-apps

any suggestions for good poutine in montreal?

Hi,

I am from Montreal and I am an avid poutine lover, I try them often ( too often...) I love to try new places and I review most of them on trip-advisor ( top 2% reviewer in Montreal )so that being said I will give you my opinion about poutine...

Poutine was originally just fries, gravy and cheese curds...now it's a variety of gravies and an unlimited offer of toppings...some like it, some dont...

If you want to try the original thing then go for a classic one, or be part of the new trend and have a customize one.

As for restaurants,

Montreal Poutine is...well...average, it's popular because it's located in Old Montreal and has a big "Poutine" sign on the street... Montreal residents don't go there much.

http://les3brasseurs.ca/eng/ offers a much better classic poutine and offers 2 "newer" version with either pulled pork or duck confit on them. They are a microbrewery and brew on location, they have giant screen tv's, music, etc...very popular spot for residents.

http://www.cage.ca/en/home "La Cage aux Sports" ( The Sports Cage ) has a new menu and I just went yesterday to try the poutine. Only classic poutine and duck confit available there. I have to say the portion was about half of what you get every where else and the new gravy was way to salty...not good...you should avoid.

Those 3 restaurants are located on the same block on Saint-Paul in Old Montreal. You have to be aware that there are major repairs being done to that street ( not in front of those restaurants, but nearby ) and it will complicate things for access.

Not that the temporary cruise terminal is about 6 miles east of the regular terminal in Old Montreal, you might want to try the best ( to my taste ) poutine at http://www.poutineville.com/en/home.html the closest location is about halfway between the new and old terminal and about 5 blocks north. They offer endless choices of poutine because you can customize it and the classic is great also !!! IMO this is the place to go.

Don't forget to bring your appetite !!!

Have fun !

Looking for a six passenger private car for port pickup and three hour guided tour by car

Thanks

I don't have a recommendation for you, but just make sure you book with either a taxi, a limo or a tour guide and NOT via Uber or UberX...we have a problem with taxi drivers and Uber drivers right now in Montreal.

To sum it up, taxi drivers are required to own a taxi licence that costs between 200 000$ and 250 000$ here in Montreal and the Uber drivers do not own a taxi licence making it unfair for the regular taxi's.

The taxi drivers are following the Uber cars and sometimes stops them and cars are being seized daily from the Uber drivers.

So in order to not have your plans go down the drain, please use a legitimate taxi driver or limo or tour company.

Have fun !

Hi,

I am from Montreal and I am an avid poutine lover, I try them often ( too often...) I love to try new places and I review most of them on trip-advisor ( top 2% reviewer in Montreal )so that being said I will give you my opinion about poutine...

Poutine was originally just fries, gravy and cheese curds...now it's a variety of gravies and an unlimited offer of toppings...some like it, some dont...

If you want to try the original thing then go for a classic one, or be part of the new trend and have a customize one.

well, i think i should try both :) I'm not opposed to having two orders (no one says i have to eat them all hee)

thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback, i will check them out for sure.

since you're here - what kind of weather do you think i should expect the first week of june?

thanks again!

well, i think i should try both :) I'm not opposed to having two orders (no one says i have to eat them all hee)

thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback, i will check them out for sure.

since you're here - what kind of weather do you think i should expect the first week of june?

thanks again!

You should definitively try 2 or more ;)

The weather is really hard to predict...we had a very mild winter compared to the average winter here, but now we have a cold front over Montreal and the forecast for tonight is 24F :eek: and a chance of some flurries....so that being said the average for early June is :

Daytime 70F

Nighttime 50F

we had a couple of days of exactly that weather 2 weeks ago...so hard to predict...

June is usually the driest month between May to September.

Enjoy !

What is the approximate Taxi fare from the Airport to Old Montreal? Thank you.

Hi,

There is a flat rate of 53$ including taxes from the airport to the "new" temporary cruise terminal 34 - 37

There is also a flat rate of 40$ including taxes from the airport to the "M" cruise terminal ( smaller vessels )

There is an express bus #747 from the airport to downtown for a flat rate of 10$ ( coins only, no paper )

There are free shuttles from Old Montreal to the new temporary cruise terminal starting at 8:30am on sail day up to until 2 hours before sailaway time.

Have fun !

Hi,

There is a flat rate of 53$ including taxes from the airport to the "new" temporary cruise terminal 34 - 37

There is also a flat rate of 40$ including taxes from the airport to the "M" cruise terminal ( smaller vessels )

There is an express bus #747 from the airport to downtown for a flat rate of 10$ ( coins only, no paper )

There are free shuttles from Old Montreal to the new temporary cruise terminal starting at 8:30am on sail day up to until 2 hours before sailaway time.

Have fun !

Thank you for the information. Can I assume from the Airport to the

Springhill Suites in Old Montreal the fare would be about 53$ Canadian.

I am going in two days early to tour around Montreal the Friday before the ship departs. Looking forward to that.

Barbara

Thank you for the information. Can I assume from the Airport to the

Springhill Suites in Old Montreal the fare would be about 53$ Canadian.

I am going in two days early to tour around Montreal the Friday before the ship departs. Looking forward to that.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

There is a flat rate for a taxi from the airport to downtown Montreal for 40$.

The flat rate for a limousine ( easily available without reservation at the airport ) is 55$.

The catch is that the "downtown" area stops at St-Laurent boulevard...it's one street west of your hotel....so if you were to get out on St-Laurent and walk one block to your hotel, it's 40$...if the go outside that area ( hotel door ) they will charge per meter from the airport and could be 5 or 10 or even 15$ more just for that block...

Flat rate for a limo from the airport to your hotel door is 60$...not a bad deal at all...and a limo ride can start a holiday on the right foot !

Have fun !

HI,

Do the taxis take credit cards or just cash?

Thanks,

Shari

Hi Shari,

Not all taxis accept credit cars, obviously they all take cash, so make sure you ask the driver before you hop in a cab...

It's one of the points Uber uses to try to get in the Montreal market...

Have fun !

do i need to learn french? i know the very basic pleasantries from former trips to france, but it didn't even cross my mind i might need it in montreal. i will be there for almost a week. i am always happy to try and speak the preferred language when i travel, i find people tend to appreciate the effort when they tell me its okay just speak in english= just wasn't sure about this part!

do i need to learn french? i know the very basic pleasantries from former trips to france, but it didn't even cross my mind i might need it in montreal. i will be there for almost a week. i am always happy to try and speak the preferred language when i travel, i find people tend to appreciate the effort when they tell me its okay just speak in english= just wasn't sure about this part!

In our experience unless your French is fluent, it's hard to get most folks in Montreal NOT to answer back in English! My French is best described as rudimentary, but my wife's is solidly conversational - and even she gets answered in English almost every time in Montreal, maybe 80% of the time in Quebec City, and it only gets down to 50/50 let alone majority French answers when we have been driving through small country places.