Anything Montreal

sebas030

You can do most of Montreal by public transport. Bus 715 is specifically geared to tourists and the day pass is $9. Be aware that the STM doesn't usually accept US credit cards (but will accept cash and international cards with chips.)

Basically there are 5 areas to stay in...

• Old Montreal - Think of this as being in the beautiful neighbourhood. Beautiful hotels and expensive real estate. Expensive restaurants, though if you know how and where to go, some really great food.
  • Downtown Montreal - The business centre of the city. Shopping centres and office buildings.
  • Plateau Mont-Royal (or just the Plateau) - A part of town just north of downtown that is residential. The far west part caters to the McGill students, the middle is more upper middle class, the east more middle class and the northern end (Mile End) is a Bohemian mixed neighbourhood.
  • Latin Quarter - A part of town that is very Bohemian and lively at night, but studenty otherwise.
  • The Village - A part of town that is very Behemian and lively at night, cheaper to stay unless you have a problem with Gays. The neighbourhood is mixed, but there are a lot of bars in the area and stores that cater to this market.

I've listed the neighbourhoods in basic levels of price. Staying in Old Montreal or Downtown won't give you a real sense of what Montreal is like for Montrealers. It's the touristy part of town and the business part of town. And the city is quite safe.

You can do most of Montreal by public transport. Bus 715 is specifically geared to tourists and the day pass is $9. Be aware that the STM doesn't usually accept US credit cards (but will accept cash and international cards with chips.)

Basically there are 5 areas to stay in...

• Old Montreal - Think of this as being in the beautiful neighbourhood. Beautiful hotels and expensive real estate. Expensive restaurants, though if you know how and where to go, some really great food.
  • Downtown Montreal - The business centre of the city. Shopping centres and office buildings.
  • Plateau Mont-Royal (or just the Plateau) - A part of town just north of downtown that is residential. The far west part caters to the McGill students, the middle is more upper middle class, the east more middle class and the northern end (Mile End) is a Bohemian mixed neighbourhood.
  • Latin Quarter - A part of town that is very Bohemian and lively at night, but studenty otherwise.
  • The Village - A part of town that is very Behemian and lively at night, cheaper to stay unless you have a problem with Gays. The neighbourhood is mixed, but there are a lot of bars in the area and stores that cater to this market.

I've listed the neighbourhoods in basic levels of price. Staying in Old Montreal or Downtown won't give you a real sense of what Montreal is like for Montrealers. It's the touristy part of town and the business part of town. And the city is quite safe.

Ephraim,

Thanks for all the useful information. That really does help with our decision making. By the way, are their any particular pubs or restaurants that you would recommend? Now, I'll show my ignorance -- what is STM?

For anybody seeking information about Montreal (or pretty much anywhere else in the Province of Quebec), speak up soon !

Thursday July 11th will be my last day on CC before I depart for my Baltics cruise !

I will be returning on July 29th.

:D

P_mori7---hope you have a grand time on your cruise to the Baltics!! We did this a couple of years ago and loved it!

Quick question---We will be staying in Old Montreal for two nights prior to our Canada/New England cruise out of Quebec City. What is our best option for getting to QC?:

A. Take taxi to airport to get HAL's transportation, or

B. Get to train station (how?) and take Via Rail to QC.

I think prices are similar. I understand there is a bus that also goes, but wonder if we might have too much luggage (not sure if you can take luggage on bus).

Thanks for your help and all of your good insights!

We will be staying in Old Montreal for two nights prior to our Canada/New England cruise out of Quebec City. What is our best option for getting to QC?:

A. Take taxi to airport to get HAL's transportation, or

B. Get to train station (how?) and take Via Rail to QC.

I think prices are similar. I understand there is a bus that also goes, but wonder if we might have too much luggage (not sure if you can take luggage on bus).

HAL's transfer to QC is probably via bus. I don't know how much they are charging for that service, but there is also the cost of cab fare all the way back to the airport to consider. I think this option would be my last option.

Train is a very interesting option, the fare to QC from Montreal's Central station start at about $25 if I remember correctly. Basically, you would take a cab from your hotel to the Central Train Station (not very far). You can check fares & buy tickets here: http://www.viarail.ca/en/plan-your-trip

The bus is also an easy way to go. The usually have plenty of lugagge space in very large compartiments under the bus. From your hotel, you would take a cab to the Central BUS station (even closer than the RAIL station). This option is more flexible than the train, they have departures every hour. See here: http://www.orleansexpress.com/Search.aspx

Have a great cruise !

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, p_mori7. Is there a difference in scenery between bus and Via Rail?

Just got back from my cruise and saw your question...yes there will be a difference... the train has the more scenic route as you approach Quebec City, especially if you are sitting on the right hand side (facing towards front of the train).

Thanks, p mori7, for the info. We have booked the train and are looking forward to the trip. Just read on another thread that Via Rail is having a sale for this trip for $50 pp!!! Could that be? We paid more than triple that!:eek: (And just booked a couple of days ago.)

Thanks, p mori7, for the info. We have booked the train and are looking forward to the trip. Just read on another thread that Via Rail is having a sale for this trip for $50 pp!!! Could that be? We paid more than triple that!:eek: (And just booked a couple of days ago.)

Via Rail fares will vary greatly day-to-day and depending on class of service.

Suggest you look at the Via Rail website here: http://www.viarail.ca/ to check current best fares for your date of travel.

Perhaps you can cancel & rebook ?

I am not very familiar with train bookings, sorry.

Via Rail fares will vary greatly day-to-day and depending on class of service.

Suggest you look at the Via Rail website here: http://www.viarail.ca/ to check current best fares for your date of travel.

Perhaps you can cancel & rebook ?

I am not very familiar with train bookings, sorry.

Yeah, Via Rail always have a 50% off promo during the summer each year. Right now it's 50% for kids.

Hi P Mori!

I hope you had a great cruise. Sounds like fun!

And thank you in advance for taking over responding to questions on this thread! I do appreciate that.

I've read this entire thread and several other threads relating to Montreal and followed several of the links. They not quite answered my questions but have provided good information. I considered taxi to 747 bus, but it doesn't quite meet our needs. Here's our situation:

We are arriving in Montreal on Saturday, 7 September on MAASDAM. We will be a party of three. My mother-in-law at 85 years has limited mobility (needs walker or wheel chair, which we will have one of each). Our flight departs YUL at 3:20 PM so we need to be at the airport around noon.

I'm thinking that taking a taxi would be the easiest way to go since it involves loading and unloading only once. I see that the fares are flat rate $55.

I've read here and I think on another thread that getting a taxi at the quay is difficult. Is that the case? If so how do I resolve?

Do the taxis take credit cards? I have both a standard US cards and will be getting a pin and chip before we depart.

If the taxi takes credit card, can I add tip directly to the card? (I've never used taxis a lot).

US$ or Can$ preferred if I have to go with cash?

I looked into a limo service and it appears downtown to the airport is $70. I've used limo before in Seattle that caters to cruisers. Once you debark, call limo service to let them know you are waiting and limo arrives within 10 minutes. Do the limos in Montreal work similar?

Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

John

It was FANTASTIC ! :D

And thank you in advance for taking over responding to questions on this thread! I do appreciate that.

No Problemo.

I've read this entire thread and several other threads relating to Montreal and followed several of the links. They not quite answered my questions but have provided good information. I considered taxi to 747 bus, but it doesn't quite meet our needs. Here's our situation:

We are arriving in Montreal on Saturday, 7 September on MAASDAM. We will be a party of three. My mother-in-law at 85 years has limited mobility (needs walker or wheel chair, which we will have one of each). Our flight departs YUL at 3:20 PM so we need to be at the airport around noon.

Correct. You will be clearing US customs & immigration here in Montreal, and the queues can sometimes be long.

I'm thinking that taking a taxi would be the easiest way to go since it involves loading and unloading only once. I see that the fares are flat rate $55.

Correct per the latest information I have in my head.

Suggest you consult list of Montreal Taxi firms here:

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=2760,3093741&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Several firms have 'accessible' taxis for the needs of people like your mother-in-law. They could also confirm the flat-rate to the airport. You can also reserve the taxi ahead of time.

I've read here and I think on another thread that getting a taxi at the quay is difficult. Is that the case? If so how do I resolve?

Not normally, especially when a cruise ship arrives. Also see previous response, you could print off the list of taxi companies to bring with you.

Do the taxis take credit cards? I have both a standard US cards and will be getting a pin and chip before we depart.

Yes, and usually no problem with U.S. cards.

If the taxi takes credit card, can I add tip directly to the card? (I've never used taxis a lot).

Yes...although the drivers do prefer cash.

Either one is fine...the US dollar is slightly stronger than the Canadian dollar right now, so they should not give you any grief about exchange.

I looked into a limo service and it appears downtown to the airport is $70.

Correct

I've used limo before in Seattle that caters to cruisers. Once you debark, call limo service to let them know you are waiting and limo arrives within 10 minutes. Do the limos in Montreal work similar?Yes...you can even reserve it ahead of time...see here:

http://www.montreallimousine.ca/airport.html

Edited by p_mori7

It was FANTASTIC ! :D

No Problemo.

Correct. You will be clearing US customs & immigration here in Montreal, and the queues can sometimes be long.

Correct per the latest information I have in my head.

Suggest you consult list of Montreal Taxi firms here:

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=2760,3093741&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Several firms have 'accessible' taxis for the needs of people like your mother-in-law. They could also confirm the flat-rate to the airport. You can also reserve the taxi ahead of time.

Not normally, especially when a cruise ship arrives. Also see previous response, you could print off the list of taxi companies to bring with you.

Yes, and usually no problem with U.S. cards.

Yes...although the drivers do prefer cash.

Either one is fine...the US dollar is slightly stronger than the Canadian dollar right now, so they should not give you any grief about exchange.

I looked into a limo service and it appears downtown to the airport is $70.

Correct

I've used limo before in Seattle that caters to cruisers. Once you debark, call limo service to let them know you are waiting and limo arrives within 10 minutes. Do the limos in Montreal work similar?Yes...you can even reserve it ahead of time...see here:

http://www.montreallimousine.ca/airport.html

Merci beaucoup!

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi p-mori1!

Since you appear to be a wealth of information about Montreal, I was wondering if you could help me out... my husband and I need to get from Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu to the cruise terminal in montreal. Any ideas on how to do this?? (We are getting a ride from someone who doesn't want to drive in the city, so if there's a better option from another city we would also consider that)

Thanks!

-Julie

Edited by jrgles

Hi p-mori1!

Since you appear to be a wealth of information about Montreal, I was wondering if you could help me out... my husband and I need to get from Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu to the cruise terminal in montreal. Any ideas on how to do this?? (We are getting a ride from someone who doesn't want to drive in the city, so if there's a better option from another city we would also consider that)

Thanks!

-Julie

Hi Julie;

Do you live in St-Jean sur Richelieu or are you just staying there pre-cruise ?

Are you looking for driving directions or alternate transportation (bus?).

:confused:

Thanks for the quick reply! (I tried to edit it to p_mori7, but it wouldn't let me)

My mom is driving us from Burlington, VT to somewhere close to Montreal, but she does not want to drive in the city and so will only go so far. We would like to take some form of public transportation to the cruise terminal from wherever she drops us off...we chose St-Jean-sur-Richelieu as reasonably close, but can certainly go somewhere else if it's easier.

St jean sur le richelieu is kind of far from Montreal seriously. You best bet if you don't want to enter the island is to go to Metro Longeuil, take the yellow line to Berri-Uqam and then take the bus 715 Vieux-Port/Vieux-Montreal. There stop at the nearest stop of your cuise terminal, this bus pass in the port.

7 min metro ride and maybe 10 minutes bus.

That ride would cost you 3$ pp

Edited by Dr0xX3rZ

Thanks for the quick reply! (I tried to edit it to p_mori7, but it wouldn't let me)

My mom is driving us from Burlington, VT to somewhere close to Montreal, but she does not want to drive in the city and so will only go so far. We would like to take some form of public transportation to the cruise terminal from wherever she drops us off...we chose St-Jean-sur-Richelieu as reasonably close, but can certainly go somewhere else if it's easier.

OK. I think your only option would be by bus & taxi.

The city of St-Jean sur Richelieu operates an express bus that goes right to downtown Montreal...to the Central Bus Station. From there you could take a cab to the pier (not very far, but too far to walk).

Here is the website for bus info & contact phone number:

http://www.ville.saint-jean-sur-richelieu.qc.ca/transport-en-commun/circuits-interurbains/Pages/horaires.aspx

The bus ride from St-Jean to Montreal is probably about an hour long. It usually carries commuters that work in the city. I think they operate with large 'coach' type buses which could accomodate suitcases.

Enjoy your cruise !

:)