Anything Montreal

sebas030

6 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Are Lyft and Uber available at the airport? 

Hi Sunny AZ Girl;

UBER is available at Montreal & Quebec City airports, and is very easy to use.

For the Montreal airport, head UP to Departures Level, go to door #7, and book your ride on the App. A driver will be assigned and show up within a few minutes. Be sure to advise your Credit Card company that you will be using the card outside the USA. I've seen a few Uber riders have issues with the App when the CC issuer is not aware. 

LYFT is not offered yet in the Province of Québec.

Enjoy your stay !

~Phil.

Edited by p_mori7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, p_mori7 said:

Hi Sunny AZ Girl;

UBER is available at Montreal & Quebec City airports, and is very easy to use.

For the Montreal airport, head UP to Departures Level, go to door #7, and book your ride on the App. A driver will be assigned and show up within a few minutes. Be sure to advise your Credit Card company that you will be using the card outside the USA. I've seen a few Uber riders have issues with the App when the CC issuer is not aware. 

LYFT is not offered yet in the Province of Québec.

Enjoy your stay !

~Phil.

Thank you so much!  So, to clarify - we do not get picked up by Uber in the arrivals area, but in departures? Good to know.  We will certainly notify our credit card company in advance.  DH's "retirement job" is a Uber/Lyft driver, so he prefers that to a cab. He is out driving right now!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Thank you so much!  So, to clarify - we do not get picked up by Uber in the arrivals area, but in departures? Good to know.  We will certainly notify our credit card company in advance.  DH's "retirement job" is a Uber/Lyft driver, so he prefers that to a cab. He is out driving right now!

That is correct. The terminal building is "L" shaped. You go UP to Departures Level, the head for the crook in the "L". Right outside next to the sidewalk you will see a special lane painted BLUE, which is where Uber drivers are allowed to pick up riders. I am also a part-time Uber driver.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, p_mori7 said:

That is correct. The terminal building is "L" shaped. You go UP to Departures Level, the head for the crook in the "L". Right outside next to the sidewalk you will see a special lane painted BLUE, which is where Uber drivers are allowed to pick up riders. I am also a part-time Uber driver.

Is that door 7 as stated above? 

We will be staying at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, 1050 de la Gauchetiere West, Montreal, Quebec H3B 4C9 Canada

Is this a decent hotel in a good location? I' m a Marriott person, so, I prefer to stay in Marriott owned properties.

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone give me directions from the airport, (which our driver knows how to get to) to the Port, specifically T1 which the Zaandam will be docked at in September. We are coming from Ontario and driving down the morning of our cruise.  I understand there are lots of detours due to construction going on and maybe some will be done by the time our cruise rolls around, but in case they aren't finished with all the construction, an easy way on a Saturday to get to the Port.  Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, cormike1 said:

Can someone give me directions from the airport, (which our driver knows how to get to) to the Port, specifically T1 which the Zaandam will be docked at in September. We are coming from Ontario and driving down the morning of our cruise.  I understand there are lots of detours due to construction going on and maybe some will be done by the time our cruise rolls around, but in case they aren't finished with all the construction, an easy way on a Saturday to get to the Port.  Thanks so much.

It's pretty much impossible to say in advance what the best route will be, given that we really don't know what the state of road construction will be then, nor what day you need to travel.

That being said, if you're boarding on a weekend morning, traffic in general is much lighter going downtown compared to a weekday morning.

See below link for exact address of the terminal, and detailed map of the piers.

https://www.port-montreal.com/files/PDF/acces-information/2019-06-Information-acces-quais-en.pdf

My best suggestion would be to have your driver use the "Waze" navigation tool on his/her mobile phone. Enter the address of the terminal, and follow the directions. Waze takes into account all current known construction zones & traffic snarls to provide you the most efficient route.

Enjoy your visit to Montreal & your Cruise !

~Phil.

6 hours ago, p_mori7 said:

It's pretty much impossible to say in advance what the best route will be, given that we really don't know what the state of road construction will be then, nor what day you need to travel.

That being said, if you're boarding on a weekend morning, traffic in general is much lighter going downtown compared to a weekday morning.

See below link for exact address of the terminal, and detailed map of the piers.

https://www.port-montreal.com/files/PDF/acces-information/2019-06-Information-acces-quais-en.pdf

My best suggestion would be to have your driver use the "Waze" navigation tool on his/her mobile phone. Enter the address of the terminal, and follow the directions. Waze takes into account all current known construction zones & traffic snarls to provide you the most efficient route.

~Phil.

Hey Phil.....thanks so much for your quick reply.  I know right now we are supposed to be at T1 so hopefully that won't change as it looks like it is the first berth and easier to get to than the berths farther down.  I have never heard of WAZE but it sounds terrific.  I am from Montreal but haven't lived there for 30+ years so I have forgotten all the downtown street names and how to navigate.  My sister still lives there but she to says it is horrendous getting around with all the construction and detours.  I am going to tell her about WAZE as she is in Real Estate and I am sure would love having a navigational tool like that.  I will get our driver to use it and hopefully by the time September rolls around it will be a little less hectic.  We are going on a Saturday so that beats a bit of traffic.

Again thanks so much Phil for that information.  I appreciate it a lot!!!

Corinne

6 hours ago, cormike1 said:

Hey Phil.....thanks so much for your quick reply.  I know right now we are supposed to be at T1 so hopefully that won't change as it looks like it is the first berth and easier to get to than the berths farther down.  I have never heard of WAZE but it sounds terrific.  I am from Montreal but haven't lived there for 30+ years so I have forgotten all the downtown street names and how to navigate.  My sister still lives there but she to says it is horrendous getting around with all the construction and detours.  I am going to tell her about WAZE as she is in Real Estate and I am sure would love having a navigational tool like that.  I will get our driver to use it and hopefully by the time September rolls around it will be a little less hectic.  We are going on a Saturday so that beats a bit of traffic.

Again thanks so much Phil for that information.  I appreciate it a lot!!!

Corinne

Hi Phil....I told my sister about WAZE and her Tech guy told her that he uses it all the time to take him all over for calls and told her it is an amazing app so again I think you for that info.  I will have our driver download it a couple of days before we go.  Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2019 at 12:25 AM, p_mori7 said:

~Phil.

We are sailing from Montreal on the Viking Sea 9/27.  Our instructions say the ship will be at Montreal Terminal Pier 34-35 Route de Port  This map shows T1 and T2.  The map Viking has included shows Alexandra Cruise Terminal.

I have checked all the ships in port sights and it seems we are the only cruise ship there on the 26 & 27 (we board on the 26th and overnight), so I guess we will follow our eyes 😄

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

We are sailing from Montreal on the Viking Sea 9/27.  Our instructions say the ship will be at Montreal Terminal Pier 34-35 Route de Port  This map shows T1 and T2.  The map Viking has included shows Alexandra Cruise Terminal.

I have checked all the ships in port sights and it seems we are the only cruise ship there on the 26 & 27 (we board on the 26th and overnight), so I guess we will follow our eyes 😄

Firstly, that document does have other berths on it too - just scroll down to the following pages... the correct address format is: Rue Port-de-Montréal, Terminal 3 / Section 34-35 and it's listed on the map on the second page as T3.

Secondly, according to the official port schedule you are at T1 (which is logical, since as the only ship in town there's no sane reason at this time not to use the shiny new terminal) not T3. It's only used in periods of flooding (when water level means ships which can normally get under Jacques-Cartier bridge cannot) or for the biggest ships that can't ever get under the bridge, i.e. Viking Sea shouldn't need to use it unless they some outlandishly good weather prediction people who have cast the runestones and determined that there will be flooding! even when it is in use (e.g. Zaandam) ships which use T3 tend to bus people to T1, since it's over two miles away from the main port facilities (and most of the popular Old Montreal sites).

Maybe Viking just cut & pasted some old info onto your documents - they wouldn't be the first cruiseline to make a silly error like that (NCL insisted they were using Ballantyne Pier in Vancouver on embarkation documents for almost a year after it ceased to exist!!!)

Edited by martincath

23 minutes ago, martincath said:

Firstly, that document does have other berths on it too - just scroll down to the following pages... the correct address format is: Rue Port-de-Montréal, Terminal 3 / Section 34-35 and it's listed on the map on the second page as T3.

Secondly, according to the official port schedule you are at T1 (which is logical, since as the only ship in town there's no sane reason at this time not to use the shiny new terminal) not T3. It's only used in periods of flooding (when water level means ships which can normally get under Jacques-Cartier bridge cannot) or for the biggest ships that can't ever get under the bridge, i.e. Viking Sea shouldn't need to use it unless they some outlandishly good weather prediction people who have cast the runestones and determined that there will be flooding! even when it is in use (e.g. Zaandam) ships which use T3 tend to bus people to T1, since it's over two miles away from the main port facilities (and most of the popular Old Montreal sites).

Maybe Viking just cut & pasted some old info onto your documents - they wouldn't be the first cruiseline to make a silly error like that (NCL insisted they were using Ballantyne Pier in Vancouver on embarkation documents for almost a year after it ceased to exist!!!)

Thanks I realized that map had more pages after I posted this. I didn’t expect it to be so confusing when we are the only ship in port those days. Knowing that Viking has had wrong information in their booklets before, I’ll go with what the port says and look for my ship at T1. 

It made no sense to me either that they would shunt us off to an old terminal and leave the costly new one vacant 🤣

Thanks

Yippee.  Just noticed that Royal Carribean will have sailings from Montréal in fall of 2020 on the Empress of the Seas.  Some trips are round trip Montréal to Montréal.  They can do that because of a stop in Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon (French islands near Newfoundland).

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

Thank you to the kind people who have taken the time to post such helpful advice!  I have read this whole thread but unfortunately, did not keep track of specific pages, so please forgive me if I am repeating an old question.

We will be staying at Springhill Suites, and I am wondering whether we should take a taxi or a limousine to our hotel.  Somewhere in the 26 pages was advice about how this hotel is not considered "downtown" and would not qualify for the set taxi fare, so a limousine might not be that much more?  (I'm sorry, I tried to do a search, but could not find the post again.) And could we pay by credit card, or is it better to have CAD for taxis?

Also, we will be pretty tired after our day of travel, so would welcome a recommendation for a place to have a good dinner (on a Sunday evening) near the hotel.  

Merci!

On 8/24/2019 at 1:48 AM, ams cruiser said:

Also, we will be pretty tired after our day of travel, so would welcome a recommendation for a place to have a good dinner (on a Sunday evening) near the hotel.  

Merci!

Sure.  What are your preferences.  Your hotel is in a very touristy area.  Do tell me what you like, and how far you would walk (no need for a taxi from where you are, unless you want Ethiopian splendid food),

Edited by Zephyr173

Any suggestions on how to get to the top of Mount Royal (for the views) other than walking up?  I didn't see anything direct on public transportation and we don't want to do a tour for that.  We have other tours planned - a walking tour, a food tour and the multi-media show at the Notre Dame Basilica.  I would also like to ride the big Ferris wheel - I know that's not what it's called, but I forgot to look it up 😄

We are staying at Auberg du Viex Port.  I was thinking maybe we could get them to call a cab to take us to the Mount Royal Park.  We could probably walk down, or if there are cabs, maybe we could get one to go back to the Old Port area.  It looks like we could walk to the Ferris wheel.

26 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Any suggestions on how to get to the top of Mount Royal (for the views) other than walking up?  I didn't see anything direct on public transportation and we don't want to do a tour for that.  We have other tours planned - a walking tour, a food tour and the multi-media show at the Notre Dame Basilica.  I would also like to ride the big Ferris wheel - I know that's not what it's called, but I forgot to look it up 😄

We are staying at Auberg du Viex Port.  I was thinking maybe we could get them to call a cab to take us to the Mount Royal Park.  We could probably walk down, or if there are cabs, maybe we could get one to go back to the Old Port area.  It looks like we could walk to the Ferris wheel.

Perhaps you could use Uber or a cab?

We plan to use the HOHO Bus while we are there, and it makes at least two stops at the top of Mount Royal.  However, it ends at 4 PM.  Our plan on Day 1 is to take it around the city for a full loop tour and then repeat to go back as far as Mount Royal.  The bus stops at 4 PM for tours.  We were thinking of getting some evening pictures and then calling a Uber to get back into town for dinner.  I hope that is a workable plan?  I am open for suggestions.

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

Perhaps you could use Uber or a cab?

We plan to use the HOHO Bus while we are there, and it makes at least two stops at the top of Mount Royal.  However, it ends at 4 PM.  Our plan on Day 1 is to take it around the city for a full loop tour and then repeat to go back as far as Mount Royal.  The bus stops at 4 PM for tours.  We were thinking of getting some evening pictures and then calling a Uber to get back into town for dinner.  I hope that is a workable plan?  I am open for suggestions.

We looked at the HOHO bus, but it looks like they only sell 2 day tickets.  We arrive at 4 pm, so that day is out.  We have a full day the next day, but we board our ship on the day after that.  Through the ship, we have a walking tour, a Food Tour, and the multi-media presentation at the Notre Dame Basilica.

• Like 1