Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

As for the wine service - we thought it perfect - with the exception that the same choice of wine was served every night - but it was free flowing on our ship - glasses constantly being refilled at both lunch and dinner. I can't remember exactly but I think they offered 2 or 3 red and 1 or 2 whites.

You would hope that given that the focus of the cruise is wine they may put more thought into their wine selections.

vcgeno ~ I agree with you about more focus on wine - but, unfortunately, there really was very, very little!

There was much more focus on silk - Lyon being the center of the silk industry - which I didn't even know about before researching the trip - and DH couldn't have cared less about!!!

Our guide in Beaune was fantastic and she did all the explaining to our group about wine, traveling there and also at the store's tasting - I got the impression the people working in the store spoke very little English. I think her name was Marie(a?) and she was also wonderful at the hospital.

In Train Hermitage again it was the guide who did the talking with a little help from the owner of the vineyard.

Fot Chateauneuf-du-pape we didn't take the ship's tour so I can't comment about it. We stayed 2 nights in Avignon and had arranged for an all-day tour of the vineyards - excellent, excellent, excellent!!

Frim what I've read the Bordeaux cruise really has more emphasis on wine during the cruise - hope that's correct!!!!

But don't get me wrong - I completely enjoyed the cruise but more wine-centered would have been appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

vcgeno ~ I know its mor ethan a year early, but please promise you'll report back after your cruise - we're taking this one in October 2014!!!

As a matter of fact, keep posting about all your preparations - and pre/post trips, all other information!!! Best part of CC is learning from others, often cuts your own research in half or opens new ideas to explore!!

We intend to spend some time pre or post in Paris (were last October for first time) and maybe also Bordeaux. I'll start planning details on that cruise after our Dec. 2013 one is history!!!

Please keep us all in the loop!! Thanks much!!

So excited---just received our docs for our June 2013 trip with Road Scholar on the Gironde. Reading the detailed itinerary makes me want to go tomorrow. We will be on a new boat the Cyrano deBergerac owned by Croisie Europe and leased by Road Scholar. Will return home on July 6th and promise a report. Know you all will be on a different line, but the river is the same. Pat

• 2 weeks later...
vcgeno ~ I know its mor ethan a year early, but please promise you'll report back after your cruise - we're taking this one in October 2014!!!

As a matter of fact, keep posting about all your preparations - and pre/post trips, all other information!!! Best part of CC is learning from others, often cuts your own research in half or opens new ideas to explore!!

We intend to spend some time pre or post in Paris (were last October for first time) and maybe also Bordeaux. I'll start planning details on that cruise after our Dec. 2013 one is history!!!

Please keep us all in the loop!! Thanks much!!

Will do. Had hoped to post more by this point but have not had much time for planning. Would be interested in what others are doing as well.

since booked on 2 upcoming ones already.

Look forward to ALL the details and reveiws,since its a new itinerary(and ship).

Perhaps you could just stay 2 nites pre cruise in departure city?Have been to Paris and other areas a few times,but not this area.We usually book own air,transfers(taxi(and hotels.Just like to be in control and usually cheaper.But do check both ways and see whats right for you.

Managed to get by with little French,just "attempted it' and most answered back in broken English.Found French no different when you at least TRY,not like I d been told.

Wonder if a lot of bus rides involved,can t really tell by brochure.

Can t wait to hear it ALL.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the Heart of Bordeaux cruise on 12 th July next year and are doing The Rhine next week.

Last year was our first Viking cruise and we were very impressed and the wine certainly did flow, it was the first year wine and excursions were included in the price so will let you know if there is any change this year.

Unlike ocean cruising where we always have a balcony we spent so little time in our cabin we now go for the cheapest, the deck space is very nice with sun loungers and shade where needed and the best place to be when the ship is moving.

We also found the food fine, just accept with the size of the kitchens you are not going to get the choice you get on a big ship.

Just hoping for some better weather that Europe has been experiencing in recent months

Sue

We are booked on the Heart of Bordeaux cruise on 12 th July next year and are doing The Rhine next week.

Last year was our first Viking cruise and we were very impressed and the wine certainly did flow, it was the first year wine and excursions were included in the price so will let you know if there is any change this year.

Unlike ocean cruising where we always have a balcony we spent so little time in our cabin we now go for the cheapest, the deck space is very nice with sun loungers and shade where needed and the best place to be when the ship is moving.

We also found the food fine, just accept with the size of the kitchens you are not going to get the choice you get on a big ship.

Just hoping for some better weather that Europe has been experiencing in recent months

Sue

We are going to be on the July 12 trip as well and look forward to meeting you. We are about to start our planning and will share our plans. We started without a balcony but decided on upgrading to a french balcony. We plan on more river cruises and are using this trip to help us decide the best way to go in the future. We are really looking forward to the trip.

• 1 month later...

From last year's Viking River Cruise experience I'd say that most passengers take the included tours or remain on the ship or walk through the port town on their own.

Last year, there were 140 passengers on our cruise and the included tours always had 4 group + a gentle group. There would be 5 baskets each containing cards with the group letter and passengers were free to take from which ever basket they wished. There were 8 of us who had come friendly and we'd just send one person to get 8 cards.

The groups would usually stagger their itinerary so not everyone was at the same place at the same time - but, in the end, every group saw/did the entire itinerary.

This was a new experience for us since we usually would do ports on our own (often using public transportation) or be pat of small groups excursions (8-10 people) formed on CC. It was also one reason I was hesitant about a River Cruise - but I found the level of the guides was fantastic and using the voice box great for allowing some freedom to wander to take photos. And the tours relatively short - approximately 4 hours - si I completely enjoyed them! Plus, last year, there was no one else to join with to plan our own tours!!!

Hope this helps!

From last year's Viking River Cruise experience I'd say that most passengers take the included tours or remain on the ship or walk through the port town on their own.

Last year, there were 140 passengers on our cruise and the included tours always had 4 group + a gentle group. There would be 5 baskets each containing cards with the group letter and passengers were free to take from which ever basket they wished. There were 8 of us who had come friendly and we'd just send one person to get 8 cards.

The groups would usually stagger their itinerary so not everyone was at the same place at the same time - but, in the end, every group saw/did the entire itinerary.

This was a new experience for us since we usually would do ports on our own (often using public transportation) or be pat of small groups excursions (8-10 people) formed on CC. It was also one reason I was hesitant about a River Cruise - but I found the level of the guides was fantastic and using the voice box great for allowing some freedom to wander to take photos. And the tours relatively short - approximately 4 hours - si I completely enjoyed them! Plus, last year, there was no one else to join with to plan our own tours!!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, we will start doing our planning assuming we are going on the ships tours.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booking this cruise tomorrow for the May 24th sailing. We are so excited and will be following this thread closely.

One question--is there a difference between e and f category of the standard room?

We will be happy to report back with our thoughts, etc. One warning. We are determined to have a great time so our reports might be really rosy.

I posted this before but it didn't show up so don't know where it went.

We're booking this cruise tomorrow for the May 24 sailing. We are so excited. this will be our first cruise, let alone our first river cruise.

Our room will be standard but I have one question? What is the difference between e and f?Thank you. Hope this one makes it thru.

I posted this before but it didn't show up so don't know where it went.

We're booking this cruise tomorrow for the May 24 sailing. We are so excited. this will be our first cruise, let alone our first river cruise.

Our room will be standard but I have one question? What is the difference between e and f?Thank you. Hope this one makes it thru.

What ship are you on?

I was on the Viking Odin and cabins E and F are the same size, 150 square feet and are on the lower deck.

Look at the Viking site and you can see the layouts of all the ships, cabin sizes, etc.

These cabins are larger than the French Balcony cabins.

I'm on the Forseti and have looked at the diagrams. they look exactly the same to me. that's why I thought I might be missing something.

the only difference that I can see is the distance from the stairs. With one being further from the stairs than the other category. I have asked our TA to put us away from the stairs as I think people tend to congregate around the steps and make noise generally being unaware that people are trying to sleep.

Cabin...Location, location, location. Personally, I'd go with the cheapest. It's not like you will get a lot of movement from ocean waves like you do on ocean going vessels. And with so few passengers on that deck, there would probably not be that much noise, although I would agree with you and avoid the two cabins right next to the stairwell.

Speaking of ocean going...it appears that the Forseti is now sailing the Rhine. Wonder how they're getting it to the Dordogne? Have to go a bit out to sea I guess?