Are there fares that if you cancel, you get a voucher?

lalalang

Friend is still having issues. She paid in full, not sure what rate because her TA is not being helpful and she was too trusting and didn't pay attention.

Final payment not due until April 25.

Price is now $900 lower.

She wanted a credit. TA said no, only OBC. No clarification as to whether OBC is "use it or lose it."

So friend said she would just cancel, and re-book. TA said that if she cancels, all she will get is a voucher for a future cruise.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

A voucher???

I think this TA is full of crap. I would demand to speak to a supervisor or someone who is in a position to give a straight answer, or at a minimum, a conference call between you, the TA, and Carnival.

Since your friend is still outside penalty:

- If they are booked under Early Saver: There's a $50pp penalty. Balance of deposit is held by Carnival for a future cruise. Rest of the fare is refundable until the final payment date.

- if they are booked under a different, non saver rate: Full amount is 100% refundable until final payment date. Amount is refunded back to the credit card NOT as a voucher.

The TA may have their own set of "in-house" rules and penalties so ask to see if they do.

Whatever you do, stand firm.

Friend is still having issues. She paid in full, not sure what rate because her TA is not being helpful and she was too trusting and didn't pay attention.

Final payment not due until April 25.

Price is now $900 lower.

She wanted a credit. TA said no, only OBC. No clarification as to whether OBC is "use it or lose it."

So friend said she would just cancel, and re-book. TA said that if she cancels, all she will get is a voucher for a future cruise.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

sounds like she is booked early saver. If that is the case, if you cancel and rebook you are charged a $50 administrative fee per person and the remainder of the deposit is held for up to 24 months for a future cruise.

I would imagine she would get the rest of the monies paid refunded to her credit card.

The future cruise credit can"t be used for the same cruise she cancels unless it is all done at the same time.

I don't know how your friend could do that since there is a travel agent involved. If she booked directly with Carnival it would be easier to do.

The key is for her to find out what rate she is booked under.

Bill

First of all, make sure the TA does not have their own cancellation penalty. It should be in your original booking docs.

Secondly, no way on a voucher. I'd be OK with the OBC as my bill is always over a $1,000 but everyone is different. If the TA become stubborn, I would consider doing a straight cancellation and re-book with someone else.

You have hit on why I now use PCC's as I have found their service to be better after the sale and I don't need to worry about any quirky policies. I used to only use online TA's but the few bucks I may save wasn't worth it IMHO and their margins will be continually squeezed by the cruiselines making anything of value allowed to be given away by a TA a thing of the past.

The PCC I use probably saves me more money (or at least maximize my $$'s) due to their knowledge when it comes to cabin selection, perks, promotions or whatever. I can no longer be bought off by TA promotions.

The primary assumption is wrong. You must certainly can get a fare reduction prior to final payment. It is only after final payment date and if you are early saver that the you get OBC.

I would tell the TA to get the reduction or expect no business in the future.

I just realized that I read your post wrong. Usually OBC from price drops is refundable, but without knowing how the OBC was put in, there's no way to know whether this OBC is refundable or not. She could try calling Carnival and ask if they could at least confirm whether any of her OBC is refundable or not. I was able to do that when we booked through an online TA. I forgot who we had booked through (all of our bookings except this one had always been through Carnival) so I called Carnival and asked about our OBC and the rep I spoke with answered my question with no problem since I wasn't asking for any changes to be made with the booking and it was just a general question.

The primary assumption is wrong. You must certainly can get a fare reduction prior to final payment. It is only after final payment date and if you are early saver that the you get OBC.

I would tell the TA to get the reduction or expect no business in the future.

The TA already got the reduction but in the form of OBC and not a reduction in the balance due since it's before final payment date but OP's friend wants the credit back on her CC since she is afraid if she doesn't spend it all onboard she will lose the remainder of the OBC.

OP's friend has also paid in full.:)

Bill

I think I read somewhere that you can call Carnival and plead with them to have the booking moved from the TA to them so your friend can deal with them from now on and the TA will lose the booking and commission. She needs to explain to Carnival that the TA is unwilling to do any work for her in regard to the booking and that they will not give her any information regarding the booking.

I think someone posted a thread about a situation similar to this earlier this week and Carnival switched the booking over for them and took care of the price drop.

How can you call Carnival and say the TA is not doing any work when the TA got her a $900 OBC? Seems like the TA is doing somethiing.

Bill

The TA already got the reduction but in the form of OBC and not a reduction in the balance due since it's before final payment date but OP's friend wants the credit back on her CC since she is afraid if she doesn't spend it all onboard she will lose the remainder of the OBC.

OP's friend has also paid in full.:)

Bill

Actually Bill the OP never said that. Besides, it doesn't matter if it is paid in full or not. If it is before the final payment date they will either reduce the amount owing or refund your credit card there is no requirement to take it as OBC.

How can you call Carnival and say the TA is not doing any work when the TA got her a $900 OBC? Seems like the TA is doing something.

Bill

You must not have seen that I edited my post because I read the OP wrong the first time. ;) My toddler is ruining my ability to think clearly these days. :)

Actually Bill the OP never said that. Besides, it doesn't matter if it is paid in full or not. If it is before the final payment date they will either reduce the amount owing or refund your credit card there is no requirement to take it as OBC.

You are right Don.

I got my post mixed up as the OP posted about the same booking in another thread yesterday.:o

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821594

Bill

You must not have seen that I edited my post because I read the OP wrong the first time. ;) My toddler is ruining my ability to think clearly these days. :)

Nope totally missed that and if it's any consolation I have no toddlers running around so I have no valid excuse for my ability to think clearly.:p

Bill

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I just feel bad for her----she could really use the cash right now. But as I told her, at least she's getting OBC, so her gratuities and excursion will be paid for and she can just live large to spend the additional $600 (if it is non-refundable).

Archived