Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

Thank you for a very informative review.

I have a couple of questions.

How was the on-board entertainment?

Given the passengers are predominantly German, was interaction with them easy or difficult?

Well, we only tried one show, a sort of cabaret thing, but it was quite enjoyable. We heard good things about another one, too - a magic show. The shows go on at 10 pm, and the one we saw lasted about an hour.

The theater is lovely, by the way.

Interaction with the German passengers was easy! We had many enjoyable conversations, and everyone seemed to speak at least a bit of English. As an example of their general fluency, our excursions were hosted by local guides who only spoke English, and the other passengers didn't need German translations. And people were very friendly.

…and here is my review. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=250860

Just dropped back in here to say thanks...... as I've read your review. Good of you to take the trouble. It's helpful, informative and reassuring to anyone considering Hapag Lloyd and particularly Europa 2 (As I'd love to myself one day :D ).

Particularly comforting to find that it would not be a disadvantage in not speaking German (however having said that, if I was to go, I would make a point of learning some beforehand :cool: ).

Best wishes !

Finally: Cruise Critic's staff review on Europa 2 has launched! Hope it's helpful and happy to answer questions. In a nutshell, what I liked best:

*Cabins, beautiful and spacious.

*Variety of eating options, plenty of outside tables

*Really interesting itineraries

(oh, and the ship itself is just gorgeous).

What I didn't love?

*I'm super-sensitive about cigarette (and cigar) smoke so take this with a grain of salt but smoking was rampant outdoors at the Sansibar. It is our favorite lounge, but you come outside to smell fresh air not wafts of cigarette smoke (there was no smoking in restaurants).

That's it :)

Anyway, happy to chime in....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=716

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have posted my review on my recent cruise on the Europa 2.

Apart from a couple of 'hiccups', it was a very enjoyable, and impressive experience.

Thanks for your very helpful review. You said it was a mostly German (speaking) crowd, but what kind of crowd was it in terms of age? You mentioned a baby. Were there a lot of multi-generational or young families?

Thanks for your very helpful review. You said it was a mostly German (speaking) crowd, but what kind of crowd was it in terms of age? You mentioned a baby. Were there a lot of multi-generational or young families?

I would say that the age range was late 20s/early 30s to 70+.

I saw very few families.

The majority of passengers appeared to be couples in the 50+ age bracket.

There were in fact very few children on my cruise, but a member of staff did tell me that during the school holidays there were quite a number of families with children.

The Childrens' Club, as can be seen from the following video, appears to be well equipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the length of the cruise, Hapag-Lloyd is introducing a Beverages Credit, on a sliding scale of up to 200 Euros per person, for both the Europa 2 and the Hanseatic.

It will apply to new bookings commencing on August 1, 2014 in respect of cruises commencing after October 1, 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
I have posted my review on my recent cruise on the Europa 2.

Apart from a couple of 'hiccups', it was a very enjoyable, and impressive experience.

Hello English Voyager. I read your Europa2 review and have a question. I will be leaving for 21 night on the Europa2 on Sept. 5. I looked over the English port excursions and in a couple of the ports I was not happy with the selection given for English tours. I booked off ship private tours in some ports when I could find a reputable company. I noticed that you went on some German tours. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I speak NO German. I am curious if you speak enough German to be able to understand the guides or whether it didn't make any difference and you enjoyed the tour even though it was in German. I have looked at other options but the ship's private tours are too expensive and I have not been able to locate a private guide in one port (Constanta). I was considering taking one of the German tours. I would be interested in your opinion.

Hello English Voyager. I read your Europa2 review and have a question. I will be leaving for 21 night on the Europa2 on Sept. 5. I looked over the English port excursions and in a couple of the ports I was not happy with the selection given for English tours. I booked off ship private tours in some ports when I could find a reputable company. I noticed that you went on some German tours. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I speak NO German. I am curious if you speak enough German to be able to understand the guides or whether it didn't make any difference and you enjoyed the tour even though it was in German. I have looked at other options but the ship's private tours are too expensive and I have not been able to locate a private guide in one port (Constanta). I was considering taking one of the German tours. I would be interested in your opinion.

Hello retiredand happy

My ability to speak, and understand, German is not particularly good so I was able to understand only a fraction of what the guide was saying.

I signed up for certain German guided tours as a means to an end as some destinations were up to a 2 hour coach ride from the ship, and even if a city centre was within walking distance I wanted to make use of the guide's knowledge of the City in order to see the sights that were worth seeing.

Another advantage in being in a group was that where required we had priority admission and thus avoided having to queue.

In your particular case, I would assess whether or not sightseeing in, or from, a particular Port of Call is doable, and would be enjoyable, independent of a guided tour.

If not, I would consider one of the German guided tours even if I understood no German.

An additional advantage of being on such a tour is that it provides an opportunity to meet German passengers whom I found to be very friendly.

The ship's Group excursions are expensive, but I found their quality to be excellent and value for money.

On the day long excursions that included lunch the restaurants were excellent.

For example, in Seville we were told that the restaurant was the best in the City.

Have a wonderful cruise on what is, for me, a superb ship.

Hello retiredand happy

My ability to speak, and understand, German is not particularly good so I was able to understand only a fraction of what the guide was saying.

I signed up for certain German guided tours as a means to an end as some destinations were up to a 2 hour coach ride from the ship, and even if a city centre was within walking distance I wanted to make use of the guide's knowledge of the City in order to see the sights that were worth seeing.

Another advantage in being in a group was that where required we had priority admission and thus avoided having to queue.

In your particular case, I would assess whether or not sightseeing in, or from, a particular Port of Call is doable, and would be enjoyable, independent of a guided tour.

If not, I would consider one of the German guided tours even if I understood no German.

An additional advantage of being on such a tour is that it provides an opportunity to meet German passengers whom I found to be very friendly.

The ship's Group excursions are expensive, but I found their quality to be excellent and value for money.

On the day long excursions that included lunch the restaurants were excellent.

For example, in Seville we were told that the restaurant was the best in the City.

Have a wonderful cruise on what is, for me, a superb ship.

Great advice. I am going to fill up some of my spare time with a couple of German tours. I took at 14 night German riverboat tour last year on the Danube and I made friends with several of the German passengers. I found that even the ones who didn't speak English went out of their way to be friendly. 3 weeks and counting.

Hi, first I would like to wish Retiredandhappy a great trip. I too am counting the days till we go in Sept.

Second, I would like to ask the fokes who already went is their any US type 110 outlets in the cabin, and are the European ones the two round prongs, 220. I want to be sure I can charge my phone and camera and they are US type.

Thanks to all and again have a great trip.

Tom

Hi, first I would like to wish Retiredandhappy a great trip. I too am counting the days till we go in Sept.

Second, I would like to ask the fokes who already went is their any US type 110 outlets in the cabin, and are the European ones the two round prongs, 220. I want to be sure I can charge my phone and camera and they are US type.

Tom

Hi,

if you have received your 'On-Board ABC' information booklet, the section headed 'Voltage' advises that all electrical devices in one's suite run on 220V AC.

The power sockets are the standard European 2 round pin variety.

The booklet's note advises that voltage converters , from 110V to 220V,are available from Reception, but personally I would bring my own as one might be faced with the situation that all their stock had been taken by other passengers.

Thanks a lot, I have not gotten the documents from then yet but have started to think about what I might need. This voltage thing was high on my list.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

All phones and most cameras can operate on either voltage. (The device or charger should say "100-240V" on the back) All you will need is a small cheap adapter for the plug. You can buy these for a few dollars at radio shack or online.

Tom

Are we on the same Europa2 cruise? Athens to Istanbul (9/5) or Istanbul to Athens (9/20). I couldn't tell by your post.

Your comment about a converter made me review my electrical requirements. I have 1 converter, but I decided to order another one just in case the one I have dies during the trip. I always end up with a bag full of electronics that need charging, so a dead converter would be a real problem. I like the new ones that are available because some have multiple USB ports as well as multiple 110V plugs.

I am hoping that Russia doesn't mess up the only Ukraine port left on the trip (Odessa). I booked a full day land tour with a private company and I was looking forward to that trip.

First thanks for the voltage info, I will check my stuff

Second, sorry I was thinking about another trip, we will be on the Europa2 December 6 ,NY to Miami for 14 days. Wish we were together.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe tomorrow you start you adventure on the beautiful Europa2. Have a great trip

Tom

Tom, you have a good memory. I leave this morning. Retired and Happy is Packed and Ready. Once I see my suitcases come off the airline carousel in Athens, I will be Relaxed and Happy. I am looking forward to my trips on the Europa2. Hopefully the Black Sea area will be calm while I am there. Thanks for the note.

Richard

Tom, you have a good memory. I leave this morning. Retired and Happy is Packed and Ready. Once I see my suitcases come off the airline carousel in Athens, I will be Relaxed and Happy. I am looking forward to my trips on the Europa2. Hopefully the Black Sea area will be calm while I am there. Thanks for the note.

Richard

Have a great trip and keep her in good shape :p - we will be on next year's Transatlantic (April 1st). Susanne

• 4 weeks later...
Retired and Happy, how was your trip?

Tom

Tom, the trip was great. The ship is beautiful and the service and food is even better. It really lives up to its 5 star plus rating. The 2 cruises were very different. The first 2 weeks from Athens to Istanbul in the Black Sea had only 230 passengers (less than half full). I guess the problems in the Black Sea scared off many people. There were only 6 English speakers on that cruise. They spoiled the 6 of us with attention. Dinner with the Hotel Manager, dinner with the International Hostess, almost private tours with our own English speaking guide. They really treated us first class. The second cruise from Istanbul to Athens had 135 English speakers and a total of 430 passengers. They said that this was the largest group of English speakers that they have hosted. Every employee we talked to was nervous because they wanted that cruise to be perfect. Everything went off without a hitch. I just had to share everyone with 134 other people. I got spoiled on the cruise before because the specialty restaurants were always available, "my" table on the back deck of the Yacht Club was always there, the best seats in the theater for the shows were always available, 3 employees were always there to pull my chair out and push it back in again. You get the picture. I liked the ship so much that I have tentatively booked 2 cruises next summer. There is only 1 reason why I wouldn't keep the trips and it is the cost. I traveled this year (and probably next year) with a friend. We need 2 beds in the cabin and on the Europa2 they only have 1 large bed in the cabins. The beds can't be separated. This doesn't work for 2 friends traveling together. I tried a rollaway this year and it just didn't work space wise in the cabin. The Hotel Manager made a "special arrangement" for me this year that took care of the problem. That won't happen again. Next year I would need to book 2 cabins and that makes the cost of 2 cruises very expensive (particularly when you add in the airline tickets and the shore excursions). The friend who is traveling with me is on kidney dialysis and the Europa2 is one of only a few ships that offers this marvelous service on the ship. The care that they give is hard to buy at any cost. There are several large cruise ships that also offer this service, but I am not happy with that type of cruising. I am more into small ships and riverboats. When I add the need for kidney dialysis into the equation, my choices are limited. I'll need to make up my mind pretty quickly if I plan on keeping my reservation on the Europa2 for next year. I know that you will love this ship and your upcoming trip. If you have any questions about the ship or how things worked, let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

Very happy you had a great trip, ship and service sound great. The trip we are on is in Dec, NY to Miami. It is her first call in NY and north american so I guess they want it to be very nice. It seems like it is pretty full although I do not know has many English speaking people will be aboard. Thanks for the info, maybe one day we can have a drink aboard.

Tom