Which London Bus?

We are taking a 3 day pre-cruise in London and plan on using the on-off bus. Since there are two different companies, The Original Tour and The Big Bus Tour; is either one of them better than the other. We want to order tickets ahead of time and would hate to find out after we alredy have them that we should have taken the other one since it is so much better. Any recommendations?

Mike

See our reviews and pictures at Mike and Carol's Website

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Celebrity Constellation 11/02

Brilliance of the Seas 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Originally posted by MVPinBoynton:

We are taking a 3 day pre-cruise in London and plan on using the on-off bus. Since there are two different companies, The Original Tour and The Big Bus Tour; is either one of them better than the other. We want to order tickets ahead of time and would hate to find out after we alredy have them that we should have taken the other one since it is so much better. Any recommendations?

Mike

QUOTE]

You do not have to order your tickets ahead of time..just buy them on the bus.It is no big deal,and the money is the same.As for which one..if I were you I would get a brochure at your hotel and check out the routes each one uses to see which one you would prefer..they are different,but not by much. I have done them both many times,and have enjoyed them each. Some like one as they have live commentary,but not always,and this you can check out when you get there at the bus to see if it is live that day.Either one is a great way to see London.

Karen

Ü

Thanks for you response Karen. The price on the either of the buses is 15GBP per person per day; but if you order on line, you can save 1GBP per person per day on the Original Tour or 2GBP on the Big Bus. Not enough of a difference to make a decision on, since I am more concerned about the quality and what you see. A friend of mine was in London last week and brought back both brochures. There is very little difference in the routes. Unfortunately she didn't take either of the tours, so she wasn't much help.

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

I will help here...take the tour that has the live commentary,and that has the red and blue routes even though you have to change buses.I believe it is the Big Bus Tour.They offer a walking tour and River cruise as part of it also.Trust me you will not be disappointed.I go to London a lot and I always make sure if I am with someone who has not been they do the open bus.I have done it even in the rain.

Karen

Ü

Karen,

Thanks for that info. The girl that gave me the brochures said that her hotel also recommended the Big Bus; but I discounted that since they might have a financial reason for recommending it.

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Mike - Big bus company has live commentary vs audio tape for the Original bus tour.

Beverley

Carnival Ecstasy - 12/97

RCCL Enchantment - 05/98

Grand Princess - 03/99

RCCL Monarch - 05/00

Carnival Victory - 12/00

HAL Zaandam - 06/02

RCCL Navigator - 05/03

RCCL Jewel - 06/04

RCCL Brilliance - 06/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;06;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until I sail on Jewel of the Seas

Bev,

I believe that one of the Original routes also has live commentary. After last year in Barcelona, I am not sure that live is better, since we had some poor commentators. At least with a tape, you know that they will cover everything. Have you been on both buses?

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Mike -Yes I've been on both. I prefered the Big Bus company. Maybe because the audio tape thing wasn't working that great when I went on the Original Bus tour.

Beverley

Carnival Ecstasy - 12/97

RCCL Enchantment - 05/98

Grand Princess - 03/99

RCCL Monarch - 05/00

Carnival Victory - 12/00

HAL Zaandam - 06/02

RCCL Navigator - 05/03

RCCL Jewel - 06/04

RCCL Brilliance - 06/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;06;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until I sail on Jewel of the Seas

Karen,

I wish I had made up my mind. I could save a lot of research time if I had. icon_wink.gif I really don't think it will make a difference which one we use, since they are apparently both a quality product. I'm just trying to find out if either of them has a real competitive advantage, otherwise I could just flip a coin and be safe. Both of them have the free river cruise, both commentaries and the same routes. I was hoping that one of them had free beer or something. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

OK...forget the research..you have enough information.To make your choice then, go to the nearest pub, have a couple of pints and then go outside to the nearest bus stop(both co's generally stop at the same stops in most cases),and then get on the one that comes first..problem solved...icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Karen

Ü

At last an answer! Thank you Karen for solving my problem. Hmmm, now I wonder what kind of beer I should order icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Originally posted by MVPinBoynton:

At last an answer! Thank you Karen for solving my problem. Hmmm, now I wonder what kind of beer I should order icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

/QUOTE]

Guinness..is there anything else????????????

Karen

Ü

Mike,

I have also studied both of their websites. The Original costs one pound less than Big Bus if you buy it on line. Not a big deal. I am going with the Big Bus just because their main office is very close to our hotel and I think it is very close to your hotel, It is at 48 Buckingham Palace Rd. I've read some good reviews of Big Bus, but it's really a crap shoot. I agree completely with Karen that having a couple of pints is the best idea. The one to order is the one you can't get at home and there are too many to count.

Joe

Which bus stops closer to the Best Western Paddington? Or do we have to take the Tube to the nearest stop?

I've looked at both maps but it's not clear to me.

Thanks,

Brigitte

Archived