How has becoming a senior changed the way you travel?

delily

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Being just 55 and not retired doesn't give me alot of time for cruising.

thinking of going your way tomorrow, Manteca area...Bass Pro...I am retired and hubby will be end of Jan...we have 3 cruises planned but I an sure we will also do some land vacations. Host Corkey

Thanks to all who have written in this thread ... I can just say DITTO ...

Unfortunately because of health problems I have to use a power wheel chair and thought that that we would stop our cruising (since 1971) but we took a chance and return to Royal Caribbean from Baltimore last year; it worked and now we are reserved for three cruises in 2014 and one in 2015 -- and waiting for the schedule to appear for more bookings. DW and I are 70+ retired and happy to spend our children's inheritance cruising.

Rebeca and Herb ;) :confused:

NEVER AGAIN -- ONLY CRUISING

family-traveling.jpg

I was just reading my brochure that came in my mail today- from Oceania- sounds like very nice ships/cruises - I may have to look into that type of cruising - I know it's more $$ but we have reached the age where we need to splurge on ourselves a little more - Host Corkey

Go for it

we did our 1st O cruise in 2004 then tried some mass market lines in 2007 it was back to Oceania

I would rather cruise less on Oceania than cruising more on mediocre lines

Do not forget to check out what is included in the pricing compared to other lines ;)

Hope to see you on Oceania soon

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Go for it

we did our 1st O cruise in 2004 then tried some mass market lines in 2007 it was back to Oceania

I would rather cruise less on Oceania than cruising more on mediocre lines

Do not forget to check out what is included in the pricing compared to other lines ;)

Hope to see you on Oceania soon

Lyn

The price is $$$$ but when you consider the airfare is included and other expenditures that we normally pay on our RCCL cruises, then it works out to "NOT TOO BAD" and I am sure the service is

great and the atmosphere is much more sophisticated - Host corkey

The price is $$$$ but when you consider the airfare is included and other expenditures that we normally pay on our RCCL cruises, then it works out to "NOT TOO BAD" and I am sure the service is

great and the atmosphere is much more sophisticated - Host corkey

I agree

Hope you take the plunge & try an O cruise

They have several 7 day cruises if you want to get taste of Oceania

I would try Marina or Riveria

Enjoy

Lyn

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. We had a 14 day Princess South American cruise scheduled for mid Feb.

We got a call with a 'move over offer' shortly after returning from a last minute Christmas cruise. Our Feb cruise was oversold. We were offered a free cruise of equal length, a cabin upgrade, a full refund on our original cruise, and reimbursement for the $180. that it cost us to cancel our air reward travel.

We jumped at it. We used to hear about these offers when or schedules were more restricted. That's all changed.

So now we will probably fly to Thailand and spend a month or so on the beaches...with only carry on bags.

• 9 months later...

This is an older post but I just found it today.

Want to say thanks to all. This is just what the doctor ordered and I needed it today. :D So enjoyed reading all of your thoughts.

I am not quite sixty, but you reach an age and it seems your body wants to go into rebellion! Thanks again and you have made me realize dh and I have some of the best cruising years ahead. You have to live life, warts and all - as a friend of mine used to say...

DH retired...I'm not, but we do not have to take vacations on the wks he bid anymore. I only get 3 wks vacation, but if I take a 4th wk ... oh well :). We own 2 timeshares so its back & forth between timeshare & cruises. 3/14 cruise, 4/14 timeshare to Las Vegas. Now 10/14 timeshare to Pompano Beach, 2/15 cruise (11 night) to Western Caribbean and so far cruise 9/15 to Bermuda (never been). I feel like the restrictions are lifted ;).

Lyn,

I love those suitcases and will probably replace an old one we still use. Did not do so far because our newest very light hard case can only be packed from the middle. Not very convenient but having light luggage is now a priority.

All the suggestions are exactly what we think and do: more comfort, more relaxed pace. I don't know how I ever survived youth hostels, narrow plane seats, sleeping on ferry floors etc. I remember that I sometimes got sick and got over it really fast or did not mind that much.

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I are now both retired. We never thought we would see the end of the tunnel and have $ to travel. Surprise - we made it and do have $.

We are

Now free to travel when we want and taking advantage of great deals

Working on our Bucket List ( too many family and friends have never gotten the opportunity due to illness/death)

Looking at what we want to see slowly and not rush

Taking naps in the afternoon

Packing less stuff

Laughing a lot more

Stopped taking pictures except of us together

AND loving every minute of travel - even when it isn't so great.

Aren't we all lucky to be able to go? Treasure every memory.

Mrsosci

We have been retired for over 32 years now. BUT our health is starting to fail and we find oursselves limited in what we can do. No more flights to far away places and no more long drives. We do cherish all the wonderful memories we made around the world.

We will be on another Caribbean cruise in a few weeks.

Edited by dorisis

We have only been married 7 years, but in that time we took 42 trips including 26 cruises. On our last few trans Atlantic flights, we have had companion tickets and enough miles to fly Business Class. It made the world of difference.

We have slowed down now that we have seen most of the things we wanted to. We have given up European trips and are concentrating on the US, Canada, and the Caribbean.

We are taking fewer trips, but higher end ones that put us in comfortable classy hotels.

We have only been married 7 years, but in that time we took 42 trips including 26 cruises. On our last few trans Atlantic flights, we have had companion tickets and enough miles to fly Business Class. It made the world of difference.

We have slowed down now that we have seen most of the things we wanted to. We have given up European trips and are concentrating on the US, Canada, and the Caribbean.

We are taking fewer trips, but higher end ones that put us in comfortable classy hotels.

We are in the same category as of a recent return from our 37th stay in London and probably 40 trips in Europe.

Only 5 star hotels and first class flights now in the USA and Canada.

Fortunately it's no punishment just being at home.:D

We are travelling more, for longer periods, and we are packing less and less to the point where the last few trips were carry on only. Cruises are typically part of an extended land trip.

We met a retired nursing supervisor on our last cruise. She told us that while working she met too many people who saved all their lives but never took those trips they talked about.

She said she was not going to be one of those people. Neither are we! We do not know what is ahead of us so we are making the most of our ability to travel, and to be flexible enough to take advantage of last minute offers.

Edited by iancal

We are travelling more, for longer periods, and we are packing less and less to the point where the last few trips were carry on only. Cruises are typically part of an extended land trip.

We met a retired nursing supervisor on our last cruise. She told us that while working she met too many people who saved all their lives but never took those trips they talked about.

She said she was not going to be one of those people. Neither are we! We do not know what is ahead of us so we are making the most of our ability to travel, and to be flexible enough to take advantage of last minute offers.

I couldn't agree more, I'm retired and want to do as much traveling as I can while I'm still able. I do have a question, how do you achieve the packing less and less, I'm trying but haven't mastered it too well! :D I really want to free up my luggage needs.

Sue

DW was only able to get to 20/21 inch carry on buy simply buying a Rick Steves carry on roller and deciding that this was the limit. I hazard to guess that if we had selected a 27 inch each we could have filled that.

And we are not alone. We met several other retired couples who are doing the same. BUT, we are not going from home to airport to cruise and back. On our last trip it was planes, trains, buses, cars, ferrys, and at the very end a cruise. Our next trip this winter will be the same. And we skip formal night because it has lost it's lustre for us.

This is not for everyone nor would I say that it is perfect. It is not. It simply complements how we travel (independent) and our physical ability to easily handle our own luggage. Just got back from eight weeks. Unpacked and noticed that I only wore one of my shirts two times in 8 weeks. That will be one less shirt that I pack next time. So DW can put something in my bag!

I couldn't agree more, I'm retired and want to do as much traveling as I can while I'm still able. I do have a question, how do you achieve the packing less and less, I'm trying but haven't mastered it too well! :D I really want to free up my luggage needs.

Sue

I am totally in agreement as well. Life is unpredictable and I think we need to do as much as we can while we can. We are fortunate to have the time, resources and flexibility to travel whenever possible. I love making memories through new and exciting experiences!

We just got back from our last land trip-went on a one way ticket and planned for 7 or 8 weeks with the expectation of snagging a good cruise offer. Just prior to leaving we did a great deal on a Med cruise that also had a very attractive cruise air flight home.

Doing the same this winter. Leaving on a one way ticket to Thailand. We have a late Feb. cruise from Sydney. Land travel in between and we may be fortunate enough to pick up a well priced last minute cruise in Asia or Aus/NZ.

Will worry about how to get home later.

Our approach is if we do not do it when we have the time, the resources, the inclination, and the health, then when will we do it? So we just pack and go.

I agree! Met a lady who said she and her DH were planning a trip after he retired, but he had a stroke at 60, and that put an end to it. Really a shame.

DH and I are now both retired. We never thought we would see the end of the tunnel and have $ to travel. Surprise - we made it and do have $.

We are

Now free to travel when we want and taking advantage of great deals

Working on our Bucket List ( too many family and friends have never gotten the opportunity due to illness/death)

Looking at what we want to see slowly and not rush

Taking naps in the afternoon

Packing less stuff

Laughing a lot more

Stopped taking pictures except of us together

AND loving every minute of travel - even when it isn't so great.

Aren't we all lucky to be able to go? Treasure every memory.

Mrsosci

I could not have said it better. I agree with all of your points. And yes, my wife & I feel very fortunate, but we worked very hard and saved along the way to achieve these blessings. ;)