Walk to St Mark's Square from Venice Santa Lucia train station w/o lots of luggage?

mikeerdas

Is it feasible to walk from the Santa Lucia train station to St Mark's Square? Looks like it might take around 25 minutes according to Google Maps and there seem to be bridges. We're not mobility impaired or elderly and don't have a lot of luggage (we pack and travel light, Rick Steves-style).

If there's more than one route to take (looks like it), which is best?

We're taking the train into Venice and hope to catch the free water taxi to our hotel from St. Marks--the Hilton Molino Stucky. Not a very Rick Steves-like place to stay. But free with Hilton points, the price is certainly right.

What about walking back from St. Mark's to the port (we're taking the Norwegian Jade)? Is it possible / feasible without lots of luggage? And what should we expect the check-in process to be like at the port? We'd prefer to carry-on our luggage--since all we really have is two backpack-style pieces of soft luggage that easily fit in an overhead plane compartment.

Taking private water taxis seems expensive. And finding people to share either inconvenient / or something we'd just rather not do or rely on (I know it's possible to go on a Roll Call and do so). So walking is fine if it's feasible.

Of course we'll have to get from the Hilton Molino Stucky post-cruise (spending one last night in Venice after disemarking) to VCE airport early in the morning on a Sunday. May be worth paying for transport then. I keep reading that VCE is a bit of a nightmare. But then I read a lot of complaints about a lot of places that turn out either not to be true or exaggerated. Still, when it comes to air travel days, I like to show up super early, avoid crowds if possible, and relax.

Why not take the vaporetto? I'm sure it would be a more pleasant introduction to Venice than walking. A single ticket is 7 euros per person and it looks like line 4.1 stops close to your hotel.

Thanks CruiseMom, that doesn't sound awful price-wise. I'll consider it. Hopefully the entire journey won't take long. When wait time + actual transit time is longer than walking, I'd rather walk. But of course we'd have to wait for the free water taxi from St. Mark's to the Hilton.

We should be well rested, since we're flying into Munich first, staying a night, then taking the overnight train in a private sleeper car from Munich to Venice. It's a an expense that's out of my comfort zone. But I've always wanted to try traveling that way. Think we arrive at Santa Lucia train station at around 8:30am in the morning. Hoping we can purchase euros at the airport in Munich. I like being as prepared as possible.

It's definitely walkable and I would say your 25 minute estimate to walk it is about right, but maybe a little short. I walked back and forth between St. Marks and Piazzale Roma several times in my 3 days in Venice and that's nearby your starting point. You will go up and down several bridges along the way, but they are a few simple steps up and down usually. I couldn't begin to tell you the best path to take as I don't think I ever took the same one twice. Generally, you just head off in the right direction and then look for the many signs on the side of the buildings that say "San Marco" -- going the other way, all the signs say "P. Roma". You'll not really get lost. If you think you're lost, just keep going and sooner or later you will see another sign. If you're fit enough to walk the 25-45 minutes (I bumped it up since you might want to stop and look around some along the way) with your luggage, and the weather is nice, it's a nice way to explore the city. But as the other poster indicted, taking the vaporetto might be more direct and timely (and also an exciting start to the city as well). In 3 days there, I either walked or used the vaporetto. I never once took a private water taxi. Either way... you're in Venice!

Is it feasible to walk from the Santa Lucia train station to St Mark's Square? Looks like it might take around 25 minutes according to Google Maps and there seem to be bridges. We're not mobility impaired or elderly and don't have a lot of luggage (we pack and travel light, Rick Steves-style).

We're taking the train into Venice and hope to catch the free water taxi to our hotel from St. Marks--the Hilton Molino Stucky. Not a very Rick Steves-like place to stay. But free with Hilton points, the price is certainly right.

What about walking back from St. Mark's to the port (we're taking the Norwegian Jade)? Is it possible / feasible without lots of luggage? And what should we expect the check-in process to be like at the port? We'd prefer to carry-on our luggage--since all we really have is two backpack-style pieces of soft luggage that easily fit in an overhead plane compartment.

Taking private water taxis seems expensive. And finding people to share either inconvenient / or something we'd just rather not do or rely on (I know it's possible to go on a Roll Call and do so). So walking is fine if it's feasible.

Of course we'll have to get from the Hilton Molino Stucky post-cruise (spending one last night in Venice after disemarking) to VCE airport early in the morning on a Sunday. May be worth paying for transport then. I keep reading that VCE is a bit of a nightmare. But then I read a lot of complaints about a lot of places that turn out either not to be true or exaggerated. Still, when it comes to air travel days, I like to show up super early, avoid crowds if possible, and relax.

Walking from the station to St Mark's is doable but this is Venice. Do yourself a favour and take the no 1 vaporetto. It's a mini cruise down the Grand Canal. Door to door. Are you planning on spending time in Venice? If so, you will want a vaporetto pass in any case. It's the best way to get around. From the Hilton to the port you take the alilaguna blue line. It is 1 stop and runs every 30 minutes. The concierge will confirm that this is the better way to the port.

Post cruise,from the Hilton to the airport you can again take the blue line but it would take over an hour. You will be at the hotel the night before. If you can find 4 others to share a water taxi with you will find that it's well worth it.

You can easily walk both ways with any pre planning.. it is fun. You can also take the vaporetto, also fun... so just play it by ear.

Relative to your other question concerning arrival time at the airport. It is a bit of a disaster airport. The only airport I have been to where you cannot check in luggage early, you have to wait until either 2 hours prior or 3 hours prior depending on flight I believe. When we were there they were very strict about this so there are tons of people standing around with luggage just waiting. There was also no place to sit, so this is an issue. I would arrive early, but not super early. Plan this carefully, maybe plan on arriving 3 hours before flight, then worst case you have to stand only 1 hour with your luggage before checking in. I would not arrive any earlier. There really is not place to sit and relax and eat and kill time in this airport. The hours will go by slowly.

I would do it!

Here is a funny story for you.... I was pre warned at the bridges there are people who will grab your luggage basically out of your hand, carry it across the bridge and then expect to get paid . You just have to say no very directly or they already have your luggage in their hand. My daughter who was 15 at the time was quite shy but by the time we left Venice I could hear her from way behind firmly saying NO NO.. I honestly have never laughed so hard as it was just so out of her personality. We only had one roller bag each though. Make sure your wheels work well because that was one of my fears that one of my luggage wheels would break! Lol. Enjoy Venice, I cried when I saw it, just surreal really!! Going back in July!!

I recommend the vaporetto to St. Mark's. Between the train station and St. Mark's there are two very large bridges and many small ones. I always get a vaporetto pass for the length of time I will be in Venice, well worth the cost. After my feet are worn out from exploring and getting lost I hop the vaporetto back to my hotel.

I recommend the vaporetto to St. Mark's. Between the train station and St. Mark's there are two very large bridges and many small ones. I always get a vaporetto pass for the length of time I will be in Venice, well worth the cost. After my feet are worn out from exploring and getting lost I hop the vaporetto back to my hotel.

I totally agree.. We spent most of 3 days there and enjoyed both walking and the vaporetto. We purchased a pair of 48 hour passes and it was money well spent. One of our highlights was a ride after dark through the Grand Canal all the way to the Lido and back. The city is amazing at night with many buildings lit up. We also used the same pass to take a trip out to Murano island for a visit to a glass blowing factory.

Enjoy!

Thanks to all. Sounds like a Vaporetto pass is the way to go. Can we buy one at Santa Lucia train station? Can U.S. credit cards without chips be used? Or should we purchase them with euros?

CruiseMom, or anyone else where with Bavaria knowledge, can any of you comment on/at the following thread? We are doing a very short pre-cruise stay in Munich (with the aim of seeing King Ludwig's castles and some alpine regions in Bavaria). Getting very close to our trip and looking for advice for that portion of it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826731

Thanks to all. Sounds like a Vaporetto pass is the way to go. Can we buy one at Santa Lucia train station? Can U.S. credit cards without chips be used? Or should we purchase them with euros?

Yes, you can purchase your vaporetto tickets at the kiosk located in front of the train station. We always purchase ours with euros so not sure whether or not you can use a credit card at this particular kiosk.

CruiseMom, or anyone else where with Bavaria knowledge, can any of you comment on/at the following thread? We are doing a very short pre-cruise stay in Munich (with the aim of seeing King Ludwig's castles and some alpine regions in Bavaria). Getting very close to our trip and looking for advice for that portion of it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826731

Have you posted your bavaria question on tripadvisor?

Have you posted your bavaria question on tripadvisor?

Thank you Dogs4Fun.

No mapleleaves, haven't posted to TripAdvisor. Believe I've posted there a few times--possibly for research on a Vegas trip--and it seemed like a Rough Crowd. CCers have seemed a lot more civil and helpful. But maybe we just had bad luck on the Vegas TripAdvisor forum. Also thought we weren't supposed to discuss other forums here on CC. But I may be confusing that with the ban on discussing travel booking sites or TAs. Ran afoul of that rule once and don't want a repeat. :-)

Thank you Dogs4Fun.

No mapleleaves, haven't posted to TripAdvisor. Believe I've posted there a few times--possibly for research on a Vegas trip--and it seemed like a Rough Crowd. CCers have seemed a lot more civil and helpful. But maybe we just had bad luck on the Vegas TripAdvisor forum. Also thought we weren't supposed to discuss other forums here on CC. But I may be confusing that with the ban on discussing travel booking sites or TAs. Ran afoul of that rule once and don't want a repeat. :-)

Funny, my experience has been just the opposite... I much prefer tripadvisor. The locals are usually so helpful. It's also a more user friendly site ... useful info under Top Questions and the SEARCH is so easy. Maybe it depends on the forum and it's particular personality.

Tripadvisor and cruisecritic are sister sites (under expedia) so no worries. Hence the ban TA's and booking sites.

We walked it, it wasn't bad and got to see more of Venice than I ever thought I would. I thought I would spend the whole time at or near the square. But walking Venice was nice. People were very helpful in helping us find our way. It took alot longer that 25 minutes. It took close to an hour. We had no idea where to go, just kept asking. But we saw sooo much of Venice.

The original plan was the Water Bus, but they were on a 1-day strike. So, we trekked it.

We walked it, it wasn't bad and got to see more of Venice than I ever thought I would. I thought I would spend the whole time at or near the square. But walking Venice was nice. People were very helpful in helping us find our way. It took alot longer that 25 minutes. It took close to an hour. We had no idea where to go, just kept asking. But we saw sooo much of Venice.

The original plan was the Water Bus, but they were on a 1-day strike. So, we trekked it.

Thanks MapleLeaves and KickBallPro.

KBP, or anyone else, is there a good current website for checking transportation strikes in Italy? If memory serves (which it often doesn't), Italian strikes are scheduled and announced in advance--how far in advance I don't know. Need to know in particular because my wife and I will be doing the City Night Line (CNL) overnight train from Munich to Venice pre-cruise. Don't know if whoever operates the CNL trains is susceptible to strikes. If whole train stations shut down, then I'd imagine so. What a mess that would be!

With walking around Venice and asking lots of questions for directions, that's often an invitation to being scammed, conned, or pick-pocketed in many major cities around the world. I try to avoid this type of contact if I can. So does Venice not fit the typical mold here? I think it's either been said here, or in other sources, to look at signs on buildings as indicators of finding your way across Venice.

After doing a little more research based on what I've read here in this thread, sounds like a vaporetto pass + the blue alilaguna line are a winning combination. I'm sure we'll do plenty of walking as well. Thanks again for all the great responses.

Anyone know of a good pre-existing Dining in Venice thread? Now that transport and lodging are taken care of, food will be my next area of focus. :-) Probably best to ask on a new thread with what I'm looking for food wise. Although that would be on relatively inexpensive side + great atmosphere (possibly incompatible aims in a place like Venice) with lots of great Italian food that isn't heavy on seafood for choices. Where to get the best Pizza (it's not Naples, but it is Italy). Where to get the best gelato. And where in St. Mark's Square would it be worth splurging on wine and/or coffee to experience the music and mood at night. Since we'll have the great fortune of being in Venice two separate evenings. One night pre-cruise and one night post-cruise.

Would also be great to know if there are any worthwhile, affordable dining options on Guidecca island near the Hilton Molino Stuckey as a back-up plan.

Thanks MapleLeaves and KickBallPro.

KBP, or anyone else, is there a good current website for checking transportation strikes in Italy? If memory serves (which it often doesn't), Italian strikes are scheduled and announced in advance--how far in advance I don't know. Need to know in particular because my wife and I will be doing the City Night Line (CNL) overnight train from Munich to Venice pre-cruise. Don't know if whoever operates the CNL trains is susceptible to strikes. If whole train stations shut down, then I'd imagine so. What a mess that would be!

With walking around Venice and asking lots of questions for directions, that's often an invitation to being scammed, conned, or pick-pocketed in many major cities around the world. I try to avoid this type of contact if I can. So does Venice not fit the typical mold here? I think it's either been said here, or in other sources, to look at signs on buildings as indicators of finding your way across Venice.

I don't ask for directions - I just use signs and sometimes maps. Venice is small and easy to wander around if you don't have mobility problems.

I can't give restaurant recommendations -- we just wander, read the menus posted outside, and pick a place. I avoid eating in the main tourist areas. Be sure to check the posted menus so you aren't surprised by automatic table charges.

Have fun!

I don't ask for directions - I just use signs and sometimes maps. Venice is small and easy to wander around if you don't have mobility problems.

I can't give restaurant recommendations -- we just wander, read the menus posted outside, and pick a place. I avoid eating in the main tourist areas. Be sure to check the posted menus so you aren't surprised by automatic table charges.

Have fun!

Thanks D4. Thought about checking the latest Rick Steves Venice guidebook (mine is a used copy from 2009). But once a restaurant is mentioned in a popular guidebook, the pattern seems to be that owners start taking patrons for granted and the quality/service goes down.

What non-tourist areas do you head to for dinner? Any are there any good, affordable dining options on Guidecca for dinner (near the Hilton Molino Stuckey).

Still interested in a few good gelato places and also places to eat for lunch not too far from the main tourist attractions.

For gelato, I recall loving a small chain of Gelato stores called Blue Ice in Rome. Fantastic. Can anyone recommend some place similar in Venice?

There is a "grom" in piazza San Barnaba. Very similar to blue ice. Its a great spot for people watching , a busy little piazza in the dorsoduro district.

The outside of the church in the square was used as the Library in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie and when Indy emerges from the crypt he comes thru a manhole almost directly in front of the Grom. This is also the spot where Katherine Hepburn falls into the canal in the movie summertime.

If you take the hotel shuttle to the Zattare ,it is a short walk to the piazza. You go past the gondola repair shop and a few good cicceti bars.

Thank you Dogs4Fun.

CC is owned by TripAdvisor, so I doubt they would object to you mentioning it. Incidentally, some of us CCers (probably a lot of us in fact) are part of the 'Rough Crowd' as well!

There is a "grom" in piazza San Barnaba. Very similar to blue ice. Its a great spot for people watching , a busy little piazza in the dorsoduro district.

The outside of the church in the square was used as the Library in the 3rd Indiana Jones movie and when Indy emerges from the crypt he comes thru a manhole almost directly in front of the Grom. This is also the spot where Katherine Hepburn falls into the canal in the movie summertime.

If you take the hotel shuttle to the Zattare ,it is a short walk to the piazza. You go past the gondola repair shop and a few good cicceti bars.

Thanks flyingboy. Will have to check and see if I'll be in or near the dorsoduro district. Very cool on the film connections, especially Indiana Jones. Huge fan of the 1st and 3rd. Not so much the 2nd and 4th.

Would love additional restaurant recommendations near, but perhaps not directly in, the typical tourist highlight areas. Looking for basic, (relatively) affordable Italian fare with good atmosphere. Nothing dress-up or fancy. Pizza, pasta, foccacia bread sandwiches, etc.

Wondering if there's anything on Guidecca Island where our hotel is as a back-up. Typically would be out of budget except staying there free on Hilton points. Also seems like a great escape from the crowds if nothing else.

There are LOTS of bridges, and each bridge is about 16 steps high (high enough for gondola to go under).... so 16 steps up, and 16 steps down for the average bridge, some are higher. Plus, streets really are NOT well marked with names. It's always fun to go to Venice and watch the tourists circle around again and again and again with that same lost and confused look on their face because they can't find their hotel. I would take a water taxi as far as possible, and get a very good map before you go so it will be in English.

It's DEFINATELY worth it to pay for the transport when in Venice!!

It is NOT feasible to walk from St Marks to the Pier... There is however a Shuttle Bus at Pizzalle Roma that will take you to the Pier.

Yes, you can purchase your vaporetto tickets at the kiosk located in front of the train station. We always purchase ours with euros so not sure whether or not you can use a credit card at this particular kiosk.

Is there also a place to buy the vaporetto passes at the airport? I believe that I read that somewhere, but I just want to be sure. We will be arriving in Venice by plane pre-cruise and then taking a water taxi to our hotel. Since we will have a good two+ days in Venice, we are going to get the passes. It would be much easier to get them when we arrive at the airport. If not, isn't there a kiosk or something at the P. Roma? Our hotel is pretty close to there, so that could be an option, too.

Archived