Walk to St Mark's Square from Venice Santa Lucia train station w/o lots of luggage?

mikeerdas

Is there also a place to buy the vaporetto passes at the airport? I believe that I read that somewhere, but I just want to be sure. We will be arriving in Venice by plane pre-cruise and then taking a water taxi to our hotel. Since we will have a good two+ days in Venice, we are going to get the passes. It would be much easier to get them when we arrive at the airport. If not, isn't there a kiosk or something at the P. Roma? Our hotel is pretty close to there, so that could be an option, too.

There are Kiosks in the Baggage Claim Area. My best advice is Google it and get Good Instructions (In English) before you get there so you know how to use it and get the right Ticket.

Is there also a place to buy the vaporetto passes at the airport? I believe that I read that somewhere, but I just want to be sure. We will be arriving in Venice by plane pre-cruise and then taking a water taxi to our hotel. Since we will have a good two+ days in Venice, we are going to get the passes. It would be much easier to get them when we arrive at the airport. If not, isn't there a kiosk or something at the P. Roma? Our hotel is pretty close to there, so that could be an option, too.

There is an actual building with clerks in P. Roma on the way to the vaporetto that sells the passes. You get to talk to a person and don't have to use a kiosk.

Just a FYI, be sure you activate a multi-use pass EVERY time you use it. You just swipe it in front of the machines where you board the waterbus and make sure the light turns green.

Also be prepared to get on the wrong vaporetto or the correct one going the opposite direction of where you planned to go. It took us a bunch of rides before we figured it out and everyone we talked to said the same thing. We had several days in Venice so we weren't in a rush and just enjoyed the rides even if they weren't the ones we planned on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think walking in Venice with luggage is crazy. It is not easy to navigate even with a map. It can be very crowded and many bridges too. Google maps and directions for Venice are unreliable. I have spent 3 weeks in Venice the past 2 years. I have a very good sense of direction, I know my way around but still get lost even with maps and my iPhone. It's easy to get back but I bet 1000 euros you could not walk with luggage from the Ferrovia to San Marco in 25 minutes. Take the Vaporetto.

We are staying at a hotel very close to the P. Roma, and we'll need to get to the ship. My initial plan is to walk to the people mover, and we're good to go from there. We will have plenty of luggage. I do recall that there is a bridge to cross from the P. Roma towards that direction, and that there are steps. We will have plenty of luggage. I kind of recall that the steps are fairly small - it that correct? I've looked into a land taxi and it's a lot but not too horrible, but so far I've only found one company that gave me rates. There are eight of us, so we would need two. Any suggestions?

I know the route to take, but I'm thinking an option other than walking might be better. We won't be able to take a vaporetto with the luggage, and I didn't thank that any of the vaporetto lines go directly to the port.

We are staying at a hotel very close to the P. Roma, and we'll need to get to the ship. My initial plan is to walk to the people mover, and we're good to go from there. We will have plenty of luggage. I do recall that there is a bridge to cross from the P. Roma towards that direction, and that there are steps. We will have plenty of luggage. I kind of recall that the steps are fairly small - it that correct? I've looked into a land taxi and it's a lot but not too horrible, but so far I've only found one company that gave me rates. There are eight of us, so we would need two. Any suggestions?

There are no steps from P. Roma to the people mover. It's about 350 level yards from the people mover station to the luggage drop at the port. Taxi from P. Roma to the luggage drop is about 2 minutes.

There are no steps from P. Roma to the people mover. It's about 350 level yards from the people mover station to the luggage drop at the port. Taxi from P. Roma to the luggage drop is about 2 minutes.

Perfect. No need for a taxi then. We don't mind schlepping the luggage, and I'm glad I was wrong about the steps.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from our trip. We purchased a 36 hour vaporetto pass at the train station and took the 4.1 vaporetto to the stop nearest to the Hilton Molino Stucky (it was named Palanka or something similar). Loved the vaporetto system and would recommend it to others.

Venice is great for walking....without luggage. I found the signs to be adequate to San Marco and Piazzale Roma. A map may be more helpful at times though.

Yes, walking while keeping one's eyes on buildings for signs worked well for us when we needed to walk, including signs to Rialto. Saw a cool T-shirt I wished I'd purchased which showed two adjacent signs, one "Per S. Marco" and the other, I think, "Per Rialto." It's so true that if you don't see a sign, keep going and eventually one will appear.

Yes, walking while keeping one's eyes on buildings for signs worked well for us when we needed to walk, including signs to Rialto. Saw a cool T-shirt I wished I'd purchased which showed two adjacent signs, one "Per S. Marco" and the other, I think, "Per Rialto." It's so true that if you don't see a sign, keep going and eventually one will appear.

So true!!! Once someone pointed out the yellow signs to us, we were good to go! We did freak out a bit when we didn't see any signs for awhile, but we quickly learned to just keep walking. The signs are VERY helpful.

I swear I had one "intersection" of signs, one pointing one way, one pointing the opposite way, and BOTH said "Per S. Marco":eek: Kind of reminded me of an OLD game that you could play back in the 80s on Unix machines: a maze of twisty passages, all the same!

Getting lost in Venice is part of the fun. But, I wouldn't think of walking anywhere that I didn't have to with luggage! Like you've already seen you can take your luggage on the water busses...

I swear I had one "intersection" of signs, one pointing one way, one pointing the opposite way, and BOTH said "Per S. Marco":eek: Kind of reminded me of an OLD game that you could play back in the 80s on Unix machines: a maze of twisty passages, all the same!

Getting lost in Venice is part of the fun. But, I wouldn't think of walking anywhere that I didn't have to with luggage! Like you've already seen you can take your luggage on the water busses...

Yup, we saw plenty of Per S. Marco signs pointing in two directions as well. A "take your pick" kind of thing. Don't recall the Unix-specific game you mentioned (was it called Dungeon?), but I do remember the text adventure games from Infocom like the Zork series: "You are likely to be eaten by a grue..." :-)

Yup, we saw plenty of Per S. Marco signs pointing in two directions as well. A "take your pick" kind of thing. Don't recall the Unix-specific game you mentioned (was it called Dungeon?), but I do remember the text adventure games from Infocom like the Zork series: "You are likely to be eaten by a grue..." :-)

I think it WAS Dungeon. It was a text game - there was no GUI back then... This was late 70s, early 80s. It was on our machine at work (no individual workstations back then). zzyzx.....

Hi mikeerdas,

We will be staying at the apartments in the Molino Stucky building in five weeks. Just wondering if you can can recommend any restaurants big or small near the hotel for our first evening.

I have found some I want to visit in Dorsoduro but am not sure about Giudecca island.

Thanks

Julie

That's one of the favorite venetian jokes.

It is really hard to get lost in Venice, however, I managed, on my fourth /or was it fifth?/ visit.:o

Hi mikeerdas,

We will be staying at the apartments in the Molino Stucky building in five weeks. Just wondering if you can can recommend any restaurants big or small near the hotel for our first evening.

I have found some I want to visit in Dorsoduro but am not sure about Giudecca island.

Thanks

Julie

This may be useful to you:

http://www.ourflatsinvenice.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=47

Thank you so much for posting this. This will help a lot. We like to just walk around and explore but sometimes being able to recognise names as you walk makes a place feel more familiar and less daunting.:)

Julie

Archived