Just learned about this ship!

katrina1122

Wow, this sounds like so much fun, but I do have some questions.

What's the age demographic? Do people usually attend the show and then stay up for awhile, or is an early to bed kind of group?

What's the point of a shared balcony room? I don't see paying extra for it, but maybe I'm missing something.

How are the inside rooms? We just did one on the Freedom of the Seas. We managed, but I was tired of having to fling myself in and out of bed since there was no room to walk all the way around it.

Are fares listed on their website for 2 people or for 1?

Has the paddle been fixed? I don't see a point in cruising if it's not working.

How far in advance do you generally need to book?

DH and I went to a 'shore talk' our first cruise back in 2003 and quickly found out it was a shopping talk and left within 10 minutes. Do they really push shopping on board? Is the riverlorian really giving informative lectures? We'd love to hear the history of where we are going. On top of that, do they push add-on's in general? If I heard "get your medication for your vacation" one more time in the Windjammer I was going to run them down with their alcohol filled cart, lol! Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-alcohol. I just got tired of all the pushiness for extra sales.

Do they ever have sales/promotions? That portion of their website currently shows nothing.

Anything else I need to know?

What's the age demographic? Do people usually attend the show and then stay up for awhile, or is an early to bed kind of group?

I´d say 65 plus... Some folks are staying up in the Engine Room Bar.

What's the point of a shared balcony room? I don't see paying extra for it, but maybe I'm missing something.

There´s no shared balcony. The door opens to the deck and there are chairs and rocking chairs outside. No privacy, the deck is open to everyone.

How are the inside rooms? We just did one on the Freedom of the Seas. We managed, but I was tired of having to fling myself in and out of bed since there was no room to walk all the way around it.

Rooms are generally smaller than those you´re used from ocean going vessels. Insides tend to be even more smaller.

Are fares listed on their website for 2 people or for 1?

Prices are listed for one person.

Has the paddle been fixed? I don't see a point in cruising if it's not working.

It has been totally rebuilt and is working. The American Queen does have Z-drives which provide additional propulsion. But without the paddlewheel they need a towboat as assistance.

How far in advance do you generally need to book?

They are pretty well booked.

DH and I went to a 'shore talk' our first cruise back in 2003 and quickly found out it was a shopping talk and left within 10 minutes. Do they really push shopping on board? Is the riverlorian really giving informative lectures? We'd love to hear the history of where we are going. On top of that, do they push add-on's in general? If I heard "get your medication for your vacation" one more time in the Windjammer I was going to run them down with their alcohol filled cart, lol! Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-alcohol. I just got tired of all the pushiness for extra sales.

No pushing. Steamcoaches are included. Additional tours are offered. No shopping talk about shoreside shopping.

The riverlorian lectures are very informative with topic like history (steamboat history, Lewis & Clark), navigation and more.

Do they ever have sales/promotions? That portion of their website currently shows nothing.

As they are pretty well booked there´s no need for promotions/sales.

Anything else I need to know?

steamboats

No one has any input?

Sure! I sailed aboard the American Queen, at the end of March. If you would like to learn more about the experience, check out the 10 posts on my blog (most recent will be shown first; scroll down for earlier posts): www.ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

I even specifically mention the fact that American Queen is a very low-key ship without the hype. No trays of cocktails being pushed by the waiters, no gift shop or spa hype, no "art" auctions, etc. The only advertisement is a small add in the River Times for the spa and gift shop. And, announcements are limited to shows for each sitting, 15 minutes before the show starts.

You are going to love it! :D

Elaine,

Thanks for your great review....Can you please answer my question about mobility around the ship and the sites for someone on a mobility scooter?

We are worried about getting to see the various plantation houses.

The best thing I could recommend would be to speak with customer service at American Queen Steamboat Company. I am unsure how to answer your question, because I didn't move about the ship thinking in those terms. It seemed like it wouldn't be a problem, as I believe hallways and walkways were wide enough. And, there were elevators. But, I have no idea about the various plantation houses; not a clue. I'm sorry I can't be more of a help!

Archived