Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

So.... There are Several threads on this "flying to the cruise on the same day" subject. Lots of cruise critic members here say it's a definite "no no", where as I on the other hand, somewhat agree and disagree all at the same time. :D I would much prefer to fly in the day before, but it's just not happening this time. Sorry, Folks. Yes, I'm talking to you, Nervous Nellie.:rolleyes:

With that being said.. How about some "positive" stories about ppl catching their flights same day their ship sails. No, I'm not wanting to justify my reasons, as I've done it several times before. I'm just interested in stories. Funny stories. Scary stories. Running thru security running to the plane bc you forgot "something" Kind of stories. Anything like that.

I feel like sometimes these boards are just so serious, about what you should and should not do, on your cruise or for your cruise, that I thought it could use a lighthearted thread. So humor me. I'm stuck at work & in bad need of an umbrella drink. :)

I'm an airline pilot. I know how the system works and there's no way in hell I would ever fly in the day of a cruise.

I see people constantly that are stressed to the max about missing their ship because of a late or cancelled flight.

My advice: you've saved and saved for a nice cruise vacation for a week of R&R. You've looked forward to it for weeks, months or possibly even more than a year. Don't ruin it by going cheap and trying not to spend $100 on a hotel room. You'll end up spending more in the end. And that vacation you've been waiting and saving for? RUINED!!

I'm an airline pilot. I know how the system works and there's no way in hell I would ever fly in the day of a cruise.

I see people constantly that are stressed to the max about missing their ship because of a late or cancelled flight.

My advice: you've saved and saved for a nice cruise vacation for a week of R&R. You've looked forward to it for weeks, months or possibly even more than a year. Don't ruin it by going cheap and trying not to spend $100 on a hotel room. You'll end up spending more in the end. And that vacation you've been waiting and saving for? RUINED!!

Umm,, see?? This is wayyyy to serious. :cool:

I'm not saying that I can't afford the hotel. I could afford several if it came down to it. Our schedules do not warrant extra time to do the fly in beforehand thing this time. Hopefully next. I'm definitely not cheap. Ask my hubby. ;)

Thanks tho.

I could use some postive stories too, seeings as this is exactly what we are doing on our upcoming, first time cruise!!

We fly into San Juan, and NOT a direct flight! May the flying gods be with us that day :D

I will post how successful (or not) we were on my return lol

So.... There are Several threads on this "flying to the cruise on the same day" subject. Lots of cruise critic members here say it's a definite "no no", where as I on the other hand, somewhat agree and disagree all at the same time. :D I would much prefer to fly in the day before, but it's just not happening this time. Sorry, Folks. Yes, I'm talking to you, Nervous Nellie.:rolleyes:

With that being said.. How about some "positive" stories about ppl catching their flights same day their ship sails. No, I'm not wanting to justify my reasons, as I've done it several times before. I'm just interested in stories. Funny stories. Scary stories. Running thru security running to the plane bc you forgot "something" Kind of stories. Anything like that.

I feel like sometimes these boards are just so serious, about what you should and should not do, on your cruise or for your cruise, that I thought it could use a lighthearted thread. So humor me. I'm stuck at work & in bad need of an umbrella drink. :)

We have done it three times but two were just short flights from Phoenix to L.A. (about an hour) with lots of other flight options if we somehow missed the original flight (cancellation, whatever). The 3rd was longer (Phx to Houston) and all were very uneventful - we got to the ports well ahead of sail away without any issues. However, we would not do that again (fly in the day of departure) and have not since. Too risky. :eek:

I could use some postive stories too, seeings as this is exactly what we are doing on our upcoming, first time cruise!!

We fly into San Juan, and NOT a direct flight! May the flying gods be with us that day :D

I will post how successful (or not) we were on my return lol

Agreed!!!:) Where r u flying from?

We have done it three times but two were just short flights from Phoenix to L.A. (about an hour) with lots of other flight options if we somehow missed the original flight (cancellation, whatever). The 3rd was longer (Phx to Houston) and all were very uneventful - we got to the ports well ahead of sail away without any issues. However, we would not do that again (fly in the day of departure) and have not since. Too risky. :eek:

Interesting!! Thanks for your reply:)

AA canceled all their flights in the US yesterday because of a computer glitch. If I was cruising yesterday, I'd be screwed. On a lighter note :D hats off to you for trusting in the system! I wouldn't.

I know!! That was some craziness. I bet there were some livid AA customers.

Glad you weren't there!!:)

Our cruise to Alaska was somewhat last minute. We booked before we found CC. We left from BWI and had to change flights in Seattle. After reading

the recommendations on CC I began to panic and requested an extra day off. It was rejected, so we had no choice.

I kept checking flight stats to see how often flights were on time. I was a nervous wreck the entire flight. We had booked RC transfers as we had booked our air through them. We deplaned in VanCouver and did the direct option where we went straight to the bus. We arrived at the pier around 3:00 in time to go to our cabin, hit the WJ and make muster.

It was stressful but we did make it.

Now we do arrive the day before and have often arrived 2 or 3 days ahead. Much less stress and we get an extended vacation. We even drive to NJ the day before so that we don't have the stress of crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge or hit a traffic back-up on the NJ turnpike.

Ironically on our flight home, we stopped in Minneapolis. The flight out was cancelled because of storms in the NE. We spent the night in the airport. I hope to never do that again.

Fly into any airport near a major cruise port, and you will see hundreds if not thousands of passengers lining up for transport to their same-day cruise.

While the over-planners who hang out on Cruise Critic are less likely to fly in same-day, in the real world, it's extremely common. Tons of people fly in same-day. Most make it on their cruise. A few do not.

I don't really have a funny story (sorry) - but DH can never get that additional day off before we cruise - so we fly in the day of - we always take direct flights though and usually the very first flight out... I know, taking our chances but we really have no choice... We've had very good luck (hope I haven't jinxed myself ;)). Sure wish there were more sailings from the Northeast - oh wait - Quantum of the Seas will be sailing from Bayonne next year :D:p;) - doing a happy dance!

Barb

I guess this is like the people who book their shore excursions in such a way as to get back to the pier 10 minutes before sail away. They have done it dozens of times and made it every time.

Then as we wave at them from the balcony as the ship sails and they run down the pier, they finally learn. Oh well, maybe I'm too old, or have learned to much or am just too careful, I would never fly in the day of the cruise. Too many things can go wrong.

Fly into any airport near a major cruise port, and you will see hundreds if not thousands of passengers lining up for transport to their same-day cruise.

While the over-planners who hang out on Cruise Critic are less likely to fly in same-day, in the real world, it's extremely common. Tons of people fly in same-day. Most make it on their cruise. A few do not.

Exactly. We were thinking the same thing at the same time.

Our cruise to Alaska was somewhat last minute. We booked before we found CC. We left from BWI and had to change flights in Seattle. After reading

the recommendations on CC I began to panic and requested an extra day off. It was rejected, so we had no choice.

I kept checking flight stats to see how often flights were on time. I was a nervous wreck the entire flight. We had booked RC transfers as we had booked our air through them. We deplaned in VanCouver and did the direct option where we went straight to the bus. We arrived at the pier around 3:00 in time to go to our cabin, hit the WJ and make muster.

It was stressful but we did make it.

Now we do arrive the day before and have often arrived 2 or 3 days ahead. Much less stress and we get an extended vacation. We even drive to NJ the day before so that we don't have the stress of crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge or hit a traffic back-up on the NJ turnpike.

Ironically on our flight home, we stopped in Minneapolis. The flight out was cancelled because of storms in the NE. We spent the night in the airport. I hope to never do that again.

Ahhh,, Alaska! Would LOVE to go there.. Hopefully my next check on 'ye old bucket list. Glad it worked out for you!

I haven't done it...yet. I guess I would, but we only started cruising a few years ago so since we hadn't ever been to some of the embarkation points of our cruises (San Juan, Baltimore, Miami, Ft Lauderdale) we wanted to spend a day or 2 there before the cruise to soak it in. And...in one case we sailed out of New Orleans - our favorite city so 2 pre-nights was mandatory! :D I'd fly in same day for FLL or MIA, definately Baltimore since its a quick flight for me from Upstate NY and there are a ton of flights every day...so I guess it depends for us on where we're cruising from!

Ive had to do the same day flight as well.

My upcoming cruise is say day, I know I know.

But, like you, it really wasnt an option.

I leave the 1st flight available, 7:30 and Im only 1.5 hour flight

not to say that something still cant go wrong. Anything could happen

but actually the odds are with you. imho..depending on how far and

if how many lay overs. If I had layovers I probably would worry.

If you have to do it i say go for it. Id rather book one and chance it

than not book and have zero chance. Of course Id get insurance.

I wonder if people have bad luck getting home. We dont usually hear

about that although getting home is the fun part. I too, have to fly in

the day of and I just keep positive. At least I have 4 weeks to plan

and get excited and vision myself on the ship.

Good luck

I don't get what you're looking for? :confused: <---- this is my confused face.

People make the same day flights BUT most advise against it. Isn't it really that simple?

I've had a cruise to Alaska with a day before flight and did not land till 7 pm when I should have arrived in Seattle at 11am needless to say if I had planned to arrive the day of I would have stayed a week in Seattle rather than sailing the inside passage of Alaska.

I am not sure you will get many people saying OMG it was awful but we made it...most will say OMG we made it and lesson learned, fly in a day ahead. Any one who has almost missed a long awaited cruise because of flight issues finds the experience anything but humorous.

Not being snarky, I just don't get?

Patty

DH and I live on the edge I guess... :)

We live in FL so we don't have to fly for many of our cruises however when we have we chose to fly in day of usually. We have done this from Fort Lauderdale to Newark direct for Explorer out of Bayonne in Sept 2011. We also flew in day of from Fort Lauderdale to Newark, Newark to Copenhagen day of for the Vision in Sept 2012.

When we fly in day of we always take the earlier possible flight, we are flying to the Celebrity Reflection in Civitavecchia in August and we will again be flying in day of.

This is very true. I'm sure most don't give it a thought:)

(Darn you Cruise Critic!):D

Archived