Flying. Same Day. OMG... The HORROR!!!!!!!!

cruzegurl104

Then I guess the people we sat next to on our flight home, the ones who missed the ship and had to be flown to the next port, were lying?

Or maybe you don't understand Carnival's Fly Aweigh program. http://www.carnival.com/legal/fly-aweigh.aspx

Yeah, they act as booking agent AND travel insurer.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Please realize that Carnival initiated a claim against their INSURANCE to get them to the next port. If they would not have had insurance, they wouldn't have gotten to the next port via air provided by Carnival.

You need to read the fine print in your cruise contract. The cruise line has NO RESPONSIBILITY or LIABILITY for air, hotels, excursions, transport on non owed equipment. The only thing the cruise line is absolutely responsible for is the ship, tenders and a few hotels/train cars/buses that are owned by the cruise lines, primarily in Alaska.

While most of the time, the ship will wait for a late cruise line booked excursion, they are under NO obligation to do so.

And if you miss the cruise due to cruise line booked air, the cruise line is certainly not making arrangements with another cruise line. You missed your cruise, plain and simple. The only thing the cruise line absolutely must refund is your airfare. You don't get your cruise fare back unless you have insurance.

And you will find if you miss your cruise departure due to a delayed flight, the telephone numbers you have for your cruise line are suddenly unhelpful to say the least, most especially on weekends.

You will be very alone in trying to sort out your problems.

It is funny how most of the replies on this has nothing to do with the original post.

Yes, the especially the last couple :eek:

Glad the gloom and doom folks can read :p

Please realize that Carnival initiated a claim against their INSURANCE to get them to the next port. If they would not have had insurance, they wouldn't have gotten to the next port via air provided by Carnival.

I am an attorney, in house at one of the largest insurance companies in the world. You don't need to explain insurance to me. I've been in the industry for quite a few years.

When I booked Fly Aweigh my CONTRACT (the document that governs my relationship) was with Carnival. Carnival agreed to procure airline tickets for me and Carnival agreed to transport me to the next port in the event I missed the ship. If Carnival chose to transfer the risk to its insurer, that is Carnival's business. I was not the insured under that policy, Carnival was. I would receive benefits under the policy, but it's not my policy of insurance, it's Carnival's insurance, used by Carnival to fulfill Carnival's contractual obligation to me.

Now, if I were to buy travel insurance from Carnival, I would be the insured. Carnival is not an insurer, and has no obligation to me once it procures the necessary coverage from its provider. If I miss the ship, I must make a claim on my policy to cover the additional expenses I incur in traveling to the next port.

If it weren't for us "gloom and doom" the whole forum could be summarized as:

1) Hi....I'm planning to do X, in traveling from AAA to BBB. Will this work out?

2) Sure. No problems. Have a great trip. BTW, are you coming to our shore party?

3) Have done it before....so you should be fine as well.

4) Don't worry....the cruiseline is responsible and will make sure you get to the ship.

1) Thanks all. Now, do you know where I can get flasks to smuggle booze onboard the flight and pour my own drinks across the Atlantic?

(Unfortunately, I'm not my most humorous at this hour....but you get the drift)

Yes, the especially the last couple :eek:

It's not so much "gloom and doom" as snarkiness, of which a great example was posted above :D.

Funny how this thread is months old and once someone resurrected it, the snarkiness started right up again.

I am an attorney, in house at one of the largest insurance companies in the world. You don't need to explain insurance to me. I've been in the industry for quite a few years.

When I booked Fly Aweigh my CONTRACT (the document that governs my relationship) was with Carnival. Carnival agreed to procure airline tickets for me and Carnival agreed to transport me to the next port in the event I missed the ship. If Carnival chose to transfer the risk to its insurer, that is Carnival's business. I was not the insured under that policy, Carnival was. I would receive benefits under the policy, but it's not my policy of insurance, it's Carnival's insurance, used by Carnival to fulfill Carnival's contractual obligation to me.

Now, if I were to buy travel insurance from Carnival, I would be the insured. Carnival is not an insurer, and has no obligation to me once it procures the necessary coverage from its provider. If I miss the ship, I must make a claim on my policy to cover the additional expenses I incur in traveling to the next port.

I, too, am an attorney, a non practicing transportation attorney. I currently am CEO of an international logistics company dealing with trucks, planes and ships every day of the year.

Carnival's cruise contract supersedes any other contract. And the specific paragraph below governs air. Unless you can produce another contract from Carnival regarding your specific air arrangements (NOT wording on a website), I believe you would have to agree there are no MANDATORY requirements for Carnival to get you to the next port free of any charges. While Carnival may provide such services, they do it out of good will, not because it is contractually required.

And there are quite a few "next ports" that you will NOT be allowed to board-Haiti, Jamaica, one other Caribbean port I can't think of right now, any other US port if you departed from a US port and one in Eastern Europe that is embargoed due to visa restrictions and lack of personnel. So even if there is protection as you claim, you very well could still miss a good portion or all of your cruise.

"(a)Guest acknowledges that all Shore excursions/tours (whether conducted in the water, on land or by air), airline flights and ground transportation, as well as the ship's physician, and on board concessions (including but not limited to, the gift shops, spa, beauty salon, fitness center, golf and art programs, video/snorkel concession) are either operated by or are independent contractors. Even though Carnival shall be entitled to collect a fee and earn a profit from the ticketing or sale of such services by such persons or entities, Carnival neither supervises nor controls their actions, nor makes any representation either express or implied as to their suitability. Carnival, in arranging for the services called for by the physician or nurse, all on board concessions, all shore excursion/tour tickets, all pre and post cruise airline flights or other transportation off of the ship and its tenders, does so only as a convenience for the Guest and Guests are free to use or not use these services. Guest agrees that Carnival assumes no responsibility, does not guarantee performance and in no event shall be liable for any negligent or intentional acts or omissions, loss, damage, injury or delay to Guest and/or Guest's baggage, property or effects in connection with said services. Guests use the services of all independent contractors at the Guest's sole risk. Independent contractors are entitled to make a proper charge for any service performed with respect to a Guest."

It's not so much "gloom and doom" as snarkiness, of which a great example was posted above :D.

Funny how this thread is months old and once someone resurrected it, the snarkiness started right up again.

And don't forget "humble". ;)

You need to read the fine print in your cruise contract. The cruise line has NO RESPONSIBILITY or LIABILITY for air, hotels, excursions, transport on non owed equipment. The only thing the cruise line is absolutely responsible for is the ship, tenders and a few hotels/train cars/buses that are owned by the cruise lines, primarily in Alaska.

While most of the time, the ship will wait for a late cruise line booked excursion, they are under NO obligation to do so.

And if you miss the cruise due to cruise line booked air, the cruise line is certainly not making arrangements with another cruise line. You missed your cruise, plain and simple. The only thing the cruise line absolutely must refund is your airfare. You don't get your cruise fare back unless you have insurance.

And therein lies the reason why I personally, NEVER, will fly into the port city the same day as my sailing. Even if I have options like insurance, airfare refunds, etc, I'd rather have a day or two on the front-end to work out any unexpected issues. I'd also like to preserve my sanity and lowered blood pressure while I'm on vacation, with as little stress as possible!

And therein lies the reason why I personally, NEVER, will fly into the port city the same day as my sailing. Even if I have options like insurance, airfare refunds, etc, I'd rather have a day or two on the front-end to work out any unexpected issues. I'd also like to preserve my sanity and lowered blood pressure while I'm on vacation, with as little stress as possible!

I may be obsessive but we fly in 2-3 days prior and enjoy a mini vacation prior to the cruise. Part of the reason has been to avoid the high rates of the school vacation week. By leaving the Thursday or even Weds before, we would save hundreds (probably breaking even when you consider the hotels) but we would have a blast prior to the cruise.

I remember during a noncruise vacation to San Diego, we actually left on the Friday of February vacation and it took us 2.5 days to get to California via plane. The first day, the flight was cancelled due to missing our connection due to weather. Delta supposedly put us on another flight with United (stupid of us to believe them) which was a lie. Delta was totally booked due to school vacation but luckily found us a flight (one leg first class) going the next day Sunday. If that was a cruise, we would have been screwed. I joked that we could have driven there faster.

I may be obsessive but we fly in 2-3 days prior and enjoy a mini vacation prior to the cruise. Part of the reason has been to avoid the high rates of the school vacation week. By leaving the Thursday or even Weds before, we would save hundreds (probably breaking even when you consider the hotels) but we would have a blast prior to the cruise.

My next cruise is in February we get back on th 15th. Was planning on flying back home the same day but plane tickets are around 550.00pp on the 16th they are 190.00pp cheaper to wait a day.

So.... There are Several threads on this "flying to the cruise on the same day" subject. Lots of cruise critic members here say it's a definite "no no", where as I on the other hand, somewhat agree and disagree all at the same time. :D I would much prefer to fly in the day before, but it's just not happening this time. Sorry, Folks.

With that being said.. How about some "positive" stories about ppl catching their flights same day their ship sails.

We have done it a couple of times with no problem, but were prepared that if we missed the ship we weren't going to be flying to catch up. These were both shortie (2 & 3 nights) cheap Caribbean cruises. We flew direct non-stop flights and took the first flight out (5:30 or 6:30am), so the plane was on the runway the night before. On both trips our scheduled flight arrival time was before the start of embarkation. There were also 2 more scheduled flights that day that could potentially make the ship. These were both into Miami which is a short taxi to the ship. I wouldn't recommend it but in these instances this was an additional 3rd or 4th cruise that year, and we didn't have the time to arrive any earlier.

Aso, it makes a difference if one is talking about an hour flight verses an international flight overseas, either US to Europe or the other way.

Cleveland (yuck), via Chiacgo (double yuck)

American messed with our flights once, PRAYING not again

I wouldn't try same day flying through Chicago. Flights are very often delayed due to weather/wind.

I wouldn't try same day flying through Chicago. Flights are very often delayed due to weather/wind.

I'm from the Chi, and I totally agree. No same day as cruise flying for me, especially out of Chicago ORD (O'Hare Airport). I know many choose to do so, and bless 'em for their nerve...but I'd rather err on the side of timeliness and have a day or two on the front-end.

While not a cruise vacation, I do have a story that constantly reminds me never to book same-day sailing...

Some years ago, I spent my last semester at university abroad. (I do NOT recommend students do this- too much hassle to get grades in and credits approved and transferred!) My last class was a Thursday afternoon, and graduation was Saturday morning, across the pond. An hour after my last class I had packed up the rental car and my father and I drove to London from Canterbury for our early morning flight. A few flakes across the road.

We woke up the next morning to hear London is actually getting snow in December. An English friend had told me scant weeks before that an inch of snow would shut the country down. I thought it was a joke. It was not.

The road we drove on to arrive in London was delayed, many minor roads were closed. As part of my student visa at the time, I needed my plane ticket reserved before I entered the country, so we were switching airlines in Newark, our destination from London. We then flew from Newark to DC and DC to my university.

Each flight was delayed for an hour or so to something different each time (pilot missing, lacking fuel, mechanical failure), but strangely not for the weather. However, all later flights to the same destination were being cancelled due to the weather, so if any one flight was cancelled we would be stranded and would miss my ceremony. In Newark I found out the Chunnel closed down and my roommate was stranded.

After customs, we then had to go through security AGAIN because we were changing airlines. My father wore all black in a sea of business suits and I lost him carrying my suitcases up the stairs as he tried to check in. I don't think I saw him run other than that time in years. We thought we arrived with five minutes before departure before finding out about the hour delay. Washington was a similar adventure (running to the gate to be told we were delayed). I checked my e-mail at that point and found out all my efforts to instruct my advisers on how to transfer credits (they were both new) was wasted, my minors weren't credited. I spent the next half hour frantically e-mailing them to set it straight. By that point the snow was falling in the U.S. and they were contemplating cancelling until the next afternoon.

Thankfully the pilot showed up and we left on one of those tiny puddle-jumpers where I sat in the back middle seat. It reminded me of the Tower of Terror in Disney World.

We arrived at 11:00 at night EST and took an airport shuttle to the hotel. The driver's knuckles were white as we slid across the ice. At that point we realized we hadn't eaten and ordered pizza, as it was one of the few numbers I remembered. I felt bad for the delivery man!

I was still 5 hours ahead and my dad had flown in on the night before my last class so his sleep schedule was completely messed up. I set my alarm for six o'clock and fell asleep at 11:30. My mother called at midnight to tell me she had just crossed the border with my younger sister from her university in Ontario in the snowstorm. I jumped out of bed and was dressed before I looked at the clock. They showed up roughly 30 minutes before the ceremony. My parents both looked at me and we agreed, Never again!

For our cruise next week in Europe we're arriving TWO days early and departing more than 24 hours AFTER the ship disembarks. You never know when a pilot will be wandering away from his plane or someone will 'forget' to fuel the plane. :rolleyes:

So many differing opinions and view points..:cool::)

I think I responded a few pages ago that we were able to arrange to fly in the night before, altho later than we would have liked too. DH has a LE class he must attend at work, and it should be over around 4 at the latest. Our flight departs ATL for FLL at 8:50 pm... second to last flight out. :rolleyes:

Most of the time, with one exception which will have everyone saying “told you so”, I have been able to be at the cruise destination early, either through timing (like our Disney cruise after being at the parks) or being able to take the extra time off. And while I will always prefer to fly in early, like you, cruzegurl104, I know that it will not always be possible due to schedules.

Here’s my flying in the day of the cruise story. Six years ago I was in Oregon and flying out to join my mom for spring break on a river cruise out of Amsterdam. She had booked my ticket, from PDX to Denver to Chicago O’Hare (where we would meet up) to Amsterdam. There was a direct flight from PDX to O’Hare, but this one was cheaper. So everything went well until I arrived in Denver. Then my flight to O’Hare was delayed for mechanical reasons. And it kept getting more and more delayed. Finally my Mom called the 1K hotline and got me moved to a flight to O’Hare that was on time and would allow me to make my connection. And then that one ended up being delayed too (I think it was a slightly late aircraft, maybe weather). Both my flight and the original one ended up leaving around the same time. I FINALLY arrived at O’Hare, with just a little time left before the doors closed for the flight to Amsterdam. So I sprinted down to the gate (fortunately it was United the whole way so no changing terminals or concourses, it was even the same gate ‘letter’). My mom was standing by the gate agent frantically waiting for me. Our boarding passes we scanned and we got on the plane, where I was able to catch my breath while the plane waited another fifteen minutes or so for another group who was also delayed :rolleyes: of course...

I think my mom was more worried about me missing the flight than I was though. The first night of the river cruise was spent in Amsterdam. I had been to Amsterdam before with friends, and knew how to get from the airport to the train station, near where the river cruise ship was docked. I was more worried about if my suitcase would make it or not :D But if I am not able to fly in early I will definitely try to limit the connections. If I had been on the PDX to ORD flight there would have been no issues at all…

So many differing opinions and view points..:cool::)

If you do a search on this forum, you will see multiple threads almost identical to this with similar people chiming in about their stories. If we combined threads that were all on the same topic, we might have enough threads to fill up one page if we were lucky :D

If you do a search on this forum, you will see multiple threads almost identical to this with similar people chiming in about their stories. If we combined threads that were all on the same topic, we might have enough threads to fill up one page if we were lucky :D

This is true. Very true. In fact, they could make a discussion board with just this topic,, hahaha:)

• 1 month later...

Flights from home in NC to a Sailing in Florida are just a couple hours long. I book the first direct flight the morning of, and firmly believe I will be on the ship in plenty of time. I have even been proven to be right about this.

However, there was this one time.....

Bought myself one of those pretty new carry-on suitcases, you know the type. Hard sides, pretty color, smooth-rolling wheels, telescoping handle. Got a real good deal on line.....

Funny, but the telescoping handle wasn't very smooth, and sometimes wouldn't retract. Do I send the thing back to the company? Of course not! My Dad can fix anything!

Fast forward several months.....

I'm in the security line at the local airport, the morning my ship is sailing from Miami. Happy, excited, I didn't over sleep or anything! Take off my shoes, fill the bin with my jacket, scarf, purse, etc, etc....get pulled aside.....The nice Security Officer says "Ma'am, is there any reason a screw driver would be hidden under the lining of your suitcase?"

Holy Crap! Dad accidentally left his screw-driver under the lining when he fixed the handle!

Good thing my daughter was still at the airport, she had dropped me off.... They actually gave the screw driver to her, and did NOT arrest me! They even let me ON the plane. Got to MIA in plenty of time!

Archived