Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

6 hours ago, snuggarelli said:

I cannot seem to edit my comment.  The flights I mention were not ticketed by Regent.  I shared this in case Regent goes the same route (as my understanding was that it was cheaper), if you don’t like what Regent presents and end up taking the air credit instead and you find that this is actually a good route, or if you present it as an option to Regent because this route works for you as part of the air deviation request.

Editing is limited to 20 minutes after you post and why you could not edit last nite.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snuggarelli said:

I cannot seem to edit my comment.  The flights I mention were not ticketed by Regent.  I shared this in case Regent goes the same route (as my understanding was that it was cheaper), if you don’t like what Regent presents and end up taking the air credit instead and you find that this is actually a good route, or if you present it as an option to Regent because this route works for you as part of the air deviation request.

Trying to make sure that I understand the question.  Do you want to know what happens if you take the air credit and then learn that Regent offers a or the same good route?  Or, if you deviate and then learn that Regent offers a good route?

Firstly, unless you or your TA speak with Regent Air directly, you will not know what routes they offer.  If you deviate and then change your mind, you do not get the money back (just in case that was the question).  

I am not 100% certain that you could take an air credit and then change your mind when Regent starts assigning flights approximately 75 days prior to embarkation.  We have decided to take a credit several months after booking the cruise and that was not an issue.  It would likely be an issue if you want to make a change too close to when the cruise commences.

Sorry if I did not address the subject that you were trying to learn about.  I would try to deviate in order to learn the routing offered.  You do not have to accept what Regent offers and what they offer 270 days prior to the cruise is likely better than what is offered 75 days prior to the cruise.  

What does your TA recommend?  They are generally the best sources of air information since they regularly deal with Regent Air and know the in's and out's that posters are not familiar with.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Trying to make sure that I understand the question.  Do you want to know what happens if you take the air credit and then learn that Regent offers a or the same good route?  Or, if you deviate and then learn that Regent offers a good route?

Firstly, unless you or your TA speak with Regent Air directly, you will not know what routes they offer.  If you deviate and then change your mind, you do not get the money back (just in case that was the question).  

I am not 100% certain that you could take an air credit and then change your mind when Regent starts assigning flights approximately 75 days prior to embarkation.  We have decided to take a credit several months after booking the cruise and that was not an issue.  It would likely be an issue if you want to make a change too close to when the cruise commences.

Sorry if I did not address the subject that you were trying to learn about.  I would try to deviate in order to learn the routing offered.  You do not have to accept what Regent offers and what they offer 270 days prior to the cruise is likely better than what is offered 75 days prior to the cruise.  

What does your TA recommend?  They are generally the best sources of air information since they regularly deal with Regent Air and know the in's and out's that posters are not familiar with.

Not a question to be answered; simply a reply to your question in the post prior to the one you have misunderstood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

Not a question to be answered; simply a reply to your question in the post prior to the one you have misunderstood.

Responding to snuggarelli - not really sure what you are referring to.

BTW, you do an excellent job of answering questions about air - especially since you no longer cruise on Regent.  As you are likely learning from this thread, there have been many changes since you last sailed with them 6 or so years ago.

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Responding to snuggarelli - not really sure what you are referring to.

And snuggarelli was responding to your question just before his response.  He was not asking a question as I stated.  Just go back to the post before his and you will see your question to him which he answered in in the post you responded to.  It was a response and NOT a question.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

BTW, you do an excellent job of answering questions about air - especially since you no longer cruise on Regent.  As you are likely learning from this thread, there have been many changes since you last sailed with them 6 or so years ago.

Thanks for the compliment.  Can't think of any changes in the process.  Most of the response revolve around airports, airlines, itineraries, etc. for which experience in how airlines work are the key to helping people with their questions.

Did just think of one thing and that is it appears Regent is only booking people on flights with contracted seats which isn't a lot different than available flights.  Seems to be with the purchase by NCLH and the combination of the air  departments from Oceania and Regent flights are better.  Know rules are different between the two airlines  but, with about double the cruisers now using air from a single department, the increased staff can do a better job supporting both cruise lines.

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

TCan't think of any changes in the process.  Most of the response revolve around airports, airlines, itineraries, etc. for which experience in how airlines work are the key to helping people with their questions.

Did just think of one thing and that is it appears Regent is only booking people on flights with contracted seats which isn't a lot different than available flights.  Seems to be with the purchase by NCLH and the combination of the air  departments from Oceania and Regent flights are better.  Know rules are different between the two airlines  but, with about double the cruisers now using air from a single department, the increased staff can do a better job supporting both cruise lines.

Actually, Oceania and Regent have two different air departments (likely in the same space).  Pretty much everything is different between Oceania and Regent air so it would not work well to have them together.  We have spoken with both air departments and I far prefer Regent.

IMO, there are constant changes going on - especially with contracts which makes answering questions on this thread a challenge.  Off the top of my head, I can think of two international airlines that had no additional cost when you deviate to having quite a hefty price tag.  In one case, if you booked out of the U.S. there was an additional charge but not if you flew out of Canada.  The next year it completely switched. 

There have also been recent changes in the air credit from Regent and, of course, due to changes in eligibility for a pre-cruise hotel stay, some passengers need to fly in the day of embarkation and others fly in the day before.  Like I said ...... lots of changes.

Edited by Travelcat2

Of course the available airline change on a regular basis as contracts are negotiated and re-negotiated.  These are not changes to the Deviation Process.  Still 270 days out, no payment until agreement is reached, etc. etc.  Nobody knows what airlines are on contract and what aren't.  That information is found as the people go thru the process and get their information from Regent.  My responses are how to go thru the process which is relatively since the last time I used it so no surprise that I give good advice.

Yes, people report who they booked with and what flights they got but, that information is only good for them and could have changed after they got their flights the same day so no real way to give that advice as its' life can be measured in minutes.  As I said, my advice is the process and that is where newbies as well as experienced cruisers get confused.  Also, people need to be advised regularly that what works flight wise for one person may not work for another so each person has to do their own homework to get their best bang for their bucks or Euros or Pounds and the best schedules and comfort on board.  All that is still the same.  The changes you described have always been there and will continue to change as time goes on and only general advice can be given for those things and they may change in the next hour.

By the way, do you now understand that snuggarelli was answering your question and not answering new question(s)??

• Like 1

Lots of great information on this thread...thanks to all. Will be on the Voyager from Bali to Hong Kong next February. I have already managed to use miles to book our return flight to Houston. I can purchase a ticket from Houston to Bali for just a few dollars more than the Regent air fare credit plus a deviation fee. So is there any reason to wait for the 270 day mark to see if Regent can put me on my preferred flight.....which is EVA by the way? Does anyone know if Regent even contracts with EVA?

We are booked for the land package in Bali, so if we book our own flights, I presume we just advise Regent of our flights and they will arrange transportation?

And lastly, there are some very reasonable round trip business class tickets on Qatar Airways through Doha (which means we would redeposit our miles). The outbound flight is about 25% further and the return is 40% further. Having a hard time with that extra travel....put it is significantly cheaper. Has anyone gone this direction and if so what advice might you have?

Thanks much!

11 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

Lots of great information on this thread...thanks to all. Will be on the Voyager from Bali to Hong Kong next February. I have already managed to use miles to book our return flight to Houston. I can purchase a ticket from Houston to Bali for just a few dollars more than the Regent air fare credit plus a deviation fee. So is there any reason to wait for the 270 day mark to see if Regent can put me on my preferred flight.....which is EVA by the way? Does anyone know if Regent even contracts with EVA?

We are booked for the land package in Bali, so if we book our own flights, I presume we just advise Regent of our flights and they will arrange transportation?

And lastly, there are some very reasonable round trip business class tickets on Qatar Airways through Doha (which means we would redeposit our miles). The outbound flight is about 25% further and the return is 40% further. Having a hard time with that extra travel....put it is significantly cheaper. Has anyone gone this direction and if so what advice might you have?

Thanks much!

It's my understanding that when you book your own flights, you also have to arrange your own transfers.  Yet another reason we usually just use Regent air...

11 hours ago, Mystictraveler said:

Yes, from our experience, if you have booked a pre or post cruise land package through Regent this includes transfers for the land package (Airport-Hotel-Ship or vice-versa ) even if you have arranged your own air.

If there is no land package, you are responsible for your own transfers.

Simply advise Regent, via your TA, of your flight details and they will confirm arrangements.

Agree that you have to do your own transportation when you book your own flights.  

We did the identical itinerary (and pre-cruise) last year and deviated so that we could fly Cathay Pacific.  While we have not heard of Regent using Qatar (wish they did - supposedly one of the top airlines in the world).  Not sure about EVA.  You may want to review the threads for the upcoming cruise out of  Japan to see what airlines they used.  On the other hand, Regent likely uses different airlines to Bali than to Japan (same with Qatar or even Emirates).  

The one thing I do know is that we only want to fly an Asian airline when we go to Asia as, in our opinion, they are the best.  

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Yes, from our experience, if you have booked a pre or post cruise land package through Regent this includes transfers for the land package (Airport-Hotel-Ship or vice-versa ) even if you have arranged your own air.

If there is no land package, you are responsible for your own transfers.

Simply advise Regent, via your TA, of your flight details and they will confirm arrangements.

Agree 100%. Our current cruise was cruise-only (no Regent air) and transfers were included in the pre-cruise package. 

I have used Regent's air in the past, always with a deviation (now listed as a customization), but don't remember the deviation being charged both ways. I made the reservations both directions at the same time, going one way on Delta and returning on BA. When, I made the reservations, the TA said there would be an additional charge to fly on Delta plus a deviation charge. I would I would have to pay ahead of time to fly on Delta. (The $350 deviation was charged at the time—February, but not the additional up charge—$500 pp for Delta, the opposite of what I expected.) I just recently got the updated statement from the TA, and I have been charged another $350 plus a seat assignment charge of $500, for which I really didn't get a satisfactory explanation. I guess the seat assignment is standard, after reading through the comments on this thread, but still it was a nasty surprise. The "included air" was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be.

I am still wondering about the seat assignment charge, if Regent added that or the TA (who is an assistant to the TA that does this booking. I use a TA that gives rebates. Thanks for any advice.

I've used Regent air on several cruises. Never had an up charge or a seat assignment charge. When we did a deviation there was a $350 per person charge. I believe it was $175 per person each way.

18 minutes ago, Sharle said:

I've used Regent air on several cruises. Never had an up charge or a seat assignment charge. When we did a deviation there was a $350 per person charge. I believe it was $175 per person each way.

The deviation or customization charge is for each time you ask to deviate be it one way or round trip and certainly not each way.  There are upcharges if Regent determines the flight(s) you are wanting cost more than the included flight(s) would have cost.

$500.

Perhaps the $500 is them finally charging you the extra cost for your chosen flights but, no way should you be charged $350 twice assuming there are two of you traveling.  Might you be taking family that would make sense.  Would not authorize payment without a full explanation from your TA plus an invoice that delineates all of the charges in writing.

24 minutes ago, Sharle said:

Sharle - are you sure about that?  I always thought it was just $175/pp which took care of both outbound and homebound flights.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Sharle - are you sure about that?  I always thought it was just $175/pp which took care of both outbound and homebound flights.

To my knowledge (as of February 2019), the deviation charge was $175/person as you mentioned.  Personally, I would not pay extra to fly a U.S. based airline but that is a personal choice.  Charges to fly non-contracted carriers or routes can cost $1,500 (to fly Emirates from the West Coast for example) .

Whether or not you pay for seat assignments is up to the airline.  We have never had to pay it nor would we book a flight through Regent that has this (especially not a U.S. based airline).  The one airline that is famous for charging a lot of money for seats is British Airways but, for Regent customers living in North America, there is no charge whatsoever and you can go into the website and change the seats that Regent has booked.

Seriously recommend discussing options with Regent (or your TA) before committing to flights when you deviate.  

I posted a few days ago about options heading to Bali for a February 2020 cruise. I had already managed to get our return with miles so was working on the outbound trip from Houston. I ended up booking the one way with EVA for about $50 more than the Regent allowance plus deviation fee. It is by far the best connection I could find and the cancellation fee is only $300, hence my decision to go ahead and book now. Just an FYI.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, Mystictraveler said:

I posted a few days ago about options heading to Bali for a February 2020 cruise. I had already managed to get our return with miles so was working on the outbound trip from Houston. I ended up booking the one way with EVA for about $50 more than the Regent allowance plus deviation fee. It is by far the best connection I could find and the cancellation fee is only $300, hence my decision to go ahead and book now. Just an FYI.

I'm curious if you asked Regent if they contract with EVA.  We like to know which airlines Regent is currently contracted with.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got through skimming this sting, now over five years of Q&A, and did not find my answer. Does anyone know what airline Regent might use from Washington Dulles to Barcelona this fall. United dropped their non-stop, so with one stops the options are many and there are some discount lines that I would and would not fly. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

TW