Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

3 hours ago, lesliebe said:

Today was day 270.  TA authorized Regent air to work directly with us.........What a breeze~  we had done our homework, picked flights within their approved codes, and was able to book 5 seats on preferred route.  LAX - Frankfurt - Lisbon and returning Heathrow to LAX.  All Business Class, and seats assigned!  Worth the $175 pp in my opinion!

(Called early AM LA time and had about a 5 minute wait on phone)

So glad to hear that our suggestions worked!  

Hello-we are curious as to the need to book air deviation at 270 days v. later. Whenever we've booked our own air if it's more than 6 months out there always seems to an equipment or schedule change.

We were a little late reserving a Baltic cruise with Regent and used

air deviation at 120 days from sailing and got exactly what we wanted.

Now we are probably go to reserve for Barcelona to Dubai November 2020 (we've been cleared from wait list and will give them our answer by Wednesday).

Do we really need to utilize air deviation so far out? Thanks for any comments/responses.

This is my first regent cruise..but my thoughts are " are there alot of options on the route that you would be happy with?"

We are a party of 5, so also took that into consideration.  We had specifics we wanted...not to go through Heathrow, arrive in Lisbon late afternoon, and do the longest leg direct from LAX and not stopping on East Coast.  For us it worked.......

3 hours ago, Flgreg said:

Hello-we are curious as to the need to book air deviation at 270 days v. later. Whenever we've booked our own air if it's more than 6 months out there always seems to an equipment or schedule change.

We were a little late reserving a Baltic cruise with Regent and used

air deviation at 120 days from sailing and got exactly what we wanted.

Now we are probably go to reserve for Barcelona to Dubai November 2020 (we've been cleared from wait list and will give them our answer by Wednesday).

Do we really need to utilize air deviation so far out? Thanks for any comments/responses.

As mentioned previously, we are on that cruise as well.  We have not had difficulty booking air 270 days prior to the cruise.  Having said that, our TA will book our flights exactly 270 days before the cruise.  Sometimes the best flights are taken by all of the passengers booking early and you could come up against "no contracted seats on that flight".  Should anything change, Regent will take care of it for you.

19 hours ago, Flgreg said:

Do we really need to utilize air deviation so far out? Thanks for any comments/responses

As mentioned previously, it depends on whether you have many options that you will be happy with. We tend to book right around the 270 day mark as we care about what airlines we travel on and what routes we take. If your gateway airport has many airlines and routes to get you where you are going then it is probably fine to wait. 

We are on the Barcelona to Dubai cruise this year.  We were given no option for our return flight. We were only offered BA out of Dubai.  We could only fly Emirates if we were willing to pay $1500 pp for the return flight.  Not happening. However friends that booked the same cruise only recently who are also in western Canada were offered Emirates through SEA at no extra charge for their return flight. 

On a previous cruise we booked around the 270 mark and were told that we got the last contracted seats on the return flight we wanted so had we waited we wouldn't have got the flights we wanted. 

It can be a crap shoot. It boils down to what you are comfortable with.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

2 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

As mentioned previously, it depends on whether you have many options that you will be happy with. We tend to book right around the 270 day mark as we care about what airlines we travel on and what routes we take. If your gateway airport has many airlines and routes to get you where you are going then it is probably fine to wait. 

We are on the Barcelona to Dubai cruise this year.  We were given no option for our return flight. We were only offered BA out of Dubai.  We could only fly Emirates if we were willing to pay $1500 pp for the return flight.  Not happening. However friends that booked the same cruise only recently who are also in western Canada were offered Emirates through SEA at no extra charge for their return flight. 

On a previous cruise we booked around the 270 mark and were told that we got the last contracted seats on the return flight we wanted so had we waited we wouldn't have got the flights we wanted. 

It can be a crap shoot. It boils down to what you are comfortable with.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1982CruzStart

Since I am on the 2020 Barcelona to Dubai sailing, and since I am deviating and staying in UAE and Doha after the cruise, I was wondering if Regent offered you any alternate departure airports other than Dubai.  I could arrange to leave from either Abu Dhabi or Doha if it opened up other possibilites other than Dubai for using Regent Air.  Did you also consider flying east through the Orient which has good connections with China Southern and Cathay Pacific to the West Coast of the USA?

Jay in Tucson

15 minutes ago, amusea said:

1982CruzStart

Since I am on the 2020 Barcelona to Dubai sailing, and since I am deviating and staying in UAE and Doha after the cruise, I was wondering if Regent offered you any alternate departure airports other than Dubai.  I could arrange to leave from either Abu Dhabi or Doha if it opened up other possibilites other than Dubai for using Regent Air.  Did you also consider flying east through the Orient which has good connections with China Southern and Cathay Pacific to the West Coast of the USA?

Jay in Tucson

There have been similar questions earlier and yes, when you deviate you are able to use other airports  for return flight.  Flying East from Dubai is significantly longer distance so would more than likely increase your cost significantly.  it is not a case of regent offering the other airports; you simply provide them those options and they will come back and tell you if that is within the dollars you paid for your cruise or how much additional it will cost you the same as return from your disembark airport.

FWIW, Emirates runs shuttle services to/from Abu Dhabi for passengers using their flights at DXB.  Etihad does the same for Dubai passengers to/from AUH.   Depending on ticket rules, this may be by bus or limo  (special rate tickets may not be eligible for limos).

And both also provide local limo to/from airport depending on your business class ticket fare rules.

31 minutes ago, rallydave said:

There have been similar questions earlier and yes, when you deviate you are able to use other airports  for return flight.  Flying East from Dubai is significantly longer distance so would more than likely increase your cost significantly.  it is not a case of regent offering the other airports; you simply provide them those options and they will come back and tell you if that is within the dollars you paid for your cruise or how much additional it will cost you the same as return from your disembark airport.

It is true that the flight with transfer could be longer but Cathay Pacific has well-priced options from Dubai (under $3000. business class to LAX) that offer several transfer options and one is with a 39 hour layover in Hong Kong which would give you time to go to a hotel and get a good sleep before continuing onward.  That "breaking up the flights" option appeals to me as do some of the Doha options that avoid Heathrow IF they are in the Regent repertoire.  However, the Hong Kong airport has been completely closed as of today because of the riots so this is one factor that always has to be considered when flying to the Middle or Far East or even Europe for that matter.

20 minutes ago, amusea said:

It is true that the flight with transfer could be longer but Cathay Pacific has well-priced options from Dubai (under $3000. business class to LAX) that offer several transfer options and one is with a 39 hour layover in Hong Kong which would give you time to go to a hotel and get a good sleep before continuing onward.  That "breaking up the flights" option appeals to me as do some of the Doha options that avoid Heathrow IF they are in the Regent repertoire.  However, the Hong Kong airport has been completely closed as of today because of the riots so this is one factor that always has to be considered when flying to the Middle or Far East or even Europe for that matter.

That might work if LAX is the final destination and although none of us know what contracts or routings Regent has, sincerely doubt that they have contracts the long way back from the Middle East plus they are unlikely to purchase a non-refundable fare as this most likely is.  Might be time for you to book your own flights and take the non refundable risk while getting flight credit from Regent.   And, in case you are unaware, you can get a credit for the complete round trip or either of the two one ways.  Just another option for you to consider.  You could also avoid the deviation fee by taking the Regent flight to Dubai on their schedule then booking yourself back home..

Wish you good luck Jay and hope you find acceptable flights without much if any upcharge.

Edited by rallydave

3 hours ago, amusea said:

I strongly disagree with rallydave's "take" on the situation. It is not true that most of us do not know what airlines Regent has contracts with.  We absolutely know that they have contracts with Cathay Pacific  I would deviate (using Cathay Pacific) since the odds are great that there will not be an issue at the airport. It sounds as if you would enjoy 39 hours in Hong Kong (so would we - even though we have been there multiple times).  If Cathay Pacific does not work for you, I would suggest Emirates from Dubai as is likely non-stop (note:  Regent's contracts with Emirates can be included with the deviation fee or may have an uncharge).

Hopefully you have a TA that regularly books Regent (and they give you a percentage back on your cruise).  They can tell you what the best choice is for you.  

At this point, I would not recommend booking your own flights (unless the cost of the flight is less than if booked it on your own). 

Strongly suggest that you pay attention to FlyerTalker's post(s) as he seems to know the most about Regent and flight options (partly because he actually cruises on Regent while some other posters do not).  We will be returning from Dubai to Vancouver next year and will likely book Cathay Pacific (through Regent)!  

IMO, booking through Regent is important - especially on longer flights. If anything were to happen (like issues at the airport in Hong Kong), Regent will take care of you and book you on another flight.  However, if you do it on your own, you are definitely on your own if there are changes.

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Of course there is some amount of conjecture about what will be available with Regent at 270 so all discussions have some IF quality about them.  I also am looking at the flights on TK from Istanbul which Regent might have available with deviation.  I only know I want to avoid Heathrow and Frankfurt if at all possible.

My partner and I are in no rush to return home after the cruise.  Right now we are also looking into returning to Egypt or flying back to Berlin with friends who will also be on the cruise.  Or perhaps finding another cruise from a European port.  Therefore, the flexibility of using FF miles which I have in abundance in all three alliances is tempting, especially since those miles are in a continual process of devaluation.  However, my question is about deviation with the non-stop Emirates flight from Dubai to LAX which probably is my first choice.  It would assure me of jetway access to the plane from the Dubai terminal and it would avoid the possibiity of having to bus from the terminal onto the tarmac and then the climbing up those stairs to the plane since I don't check luggage.  (I had to do that last month from FRA even though it was a Lufthansa flight).  So I was wondering if I could just start by submitting at 270 to Regent the option of that non-stop flight from DXB and listing it for several different days after the cruise has ended?  Perhaps it will be available without cost if I am flexible with the date.  Just a thought.  If that doesn't work then I could submit other alternatives.  How many dates do you think I could submit in my first try??

I do have a good refund promised from my TA (it's in my contract with the agency) and she is knowledgeable about how everything works but I am thinking that I might rather handle the submission of flights to Regent on my own.  I have read the differing opinions about whether or not this is a good idea and still have not made a final decision in that regard.  But thanks to everyone for contributing to this discussion.  All opinions are very helpful.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, amusea said:

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Of course there is some amount of conjecture about what will be available with Regent at 270 so all discussions have some IF quality about them.  I also am looking at the flights on TK from Istanbul which Regent might have available with deviation.  I only know I want to avoid Heathrow and Frankfurt if at all possible.

My partner and I are in no rush to return home after the cruise.  Right now we are also looking into returning to Egypt or flying back to Berlin with friends who will also be on the cruise.  Or perhaps finding another cruise from a European port.  Therefore, the flexibility of using FF miles which I have in abundance in all three alliances is tempting, especially since those miles are in a continual process of devaluation.  However, my question is about deviation with the non-stop Emirates flight from Dubai to LAX which probably is my first choice.  It would assure me of jetway access to the plane from the Dubai terminal and it would avoid the possibiity of having to bus from the terminal onto the tarmac and then the climbing up those stairs to the plane since I don't check luggage.  (I had to do that last month from FRA even though it was a Lufthansa flight).  So I was wondering if I could just start by submitting at 270 to Regent the option of that non-stop flight from DXB and listing it for several different days after the cruise has ended?  Perhaps it will be available without cost if I am flexible with the date.  Just a thought.  If that doesn't work then I could submit other alternatives.  How many dates do you think I could submit in my first try??

I do have a good refund promised from my TA (it's in my contract with the agency) and she is knowledgeable about how everything works but I am thinking that I might rather handle the submission of flights to Regent on my own.  I have read the differing opinions about whether or not this is a good idea and still have not made a final decision in that regard.  But thanks to everyone for contributing to this discussion.  All opinions are very helpful.

As i mentioned already for our flights for this fall from DXB we were given absolutely no option flying home. I was told the only flight available was BA through LHR so that is what we are on.  Now we are leaving the day of debarkation.  I asked about Emirates and was told 1500 pp to fly to the west coast. Later Regent offered Emirates to our friends at no additional charge.  They are staying on doing a land package with Regent so maybe that made some difference. It is hard to say if Regent will offer Emirates or not with or without a surcharge.  

I usually have my TA release me to speak to Regent Air. Saves me a bunch of time as i can speak directly with RA agent and go through all the options. When i think i have an option i am happy with the RA agent emails me the itinerary, then i have a couple of days to review and see if i am happy with it. If not i call Regent back and work with them more to see what i can get.  I have used my TA to book flights but i found it awkward and time consuming to go back and forth if the options i gave the TA didn't work.  If you are looking at a bunch of different flight schedules and different days it may be more efficient for you to talk to the agent directly. You can always bring you TA into if you can't get anywhere. 

Good luck. 

6 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I was told the only flight available was BA through LHR so that is what we are on.  Now we are leaving the day of debarkation.  I asked about Emirates and was told 1500 pp to fly to the west coast.

Later Regent offered Emirates to our friends at no additional charge.  They are staying on doing a land package with Regent so maybe that made some difference.

You are talking apples and oranges.

The first case is for flights on day X.  The second is for flights on day Y.

Contracted air tickets are not just between specified city-pairs, but also for specified dates.  So what may be available on day X is only tangentially relevant to what is available on day Y.  And those add-on prices are often indicative of what the differential is for Regent to acquire a ticket on the spot market rather than through contracted rates.  Or to add on to a contracted quantity.

Another thing to remember is that there are only so many business class seats available on any particular day.  An Emirates A380 only holds 76 business passengers at most, with some configured for 56 seats.  Their 777s have only 42 business class seats.  So if you dump 600 Regent passengers  on a city all at once, where are they going to go?  They can't all get on the same flight unless Regent is doing a dedicated charter.   And there is no way a carrier is going to give up a big chunk of their regular business that can be sold at market rates.

Further, one needs to consider that the contracts need to also include flights to the final destinations of guests, not just to a handful of international gateways.  One needs to be able to piece them together into one unified whole, or there will mass squawking about the inconvenient flight arrangements.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, FlyerTalker said:

You are talking apples and oranges.

The first case is for flights on day X.  The second is for flights on day Y.

Contracted air tickets are not just between specified city-pairs, but also for specified dates.  So what may be available on day X is only tangentially relevant to what is available on day Y.  And those add-on prices are often indicative of what the differential is for Regent to acquire a ticket on the spot market rather than through contracted rates.  Or to add on to a contracted quantity.

Another thing to remember is that there are only so many business class seats available on any particular day.  An Emirates A380 only holds 76 business passengers at most, with some configured for 56 seats.  Their 777s have only 42 business class seats.  So if you dump 600 Regent passengers  on a city all at once, where are they going to go?  They can't all get on the same flight unless Regent is doing a dedicated charter.   And there is no way a carrier is going to give up a big chunk of their regular business that can be sold at market rates.

Further, one needs to consider that the contracts need to also include flights to the final destinations of guests, not just to a handful of international gateways.  One needs to be able to piece them together into one unified whole, or there will mass squawking about the inconvenient flight arrangements.

You are very knowledgeable about flying. Though i haven't flown anywhere near as much as you, i assume, i do understand how all this works.  My comment about them staying later alludes to the fact that RA's contracts can be different on different days and on different routes.  As well the fact that we booked flights at different times means that there can be contracts with different airlines and routes depending on when you book your air. 

I was simply giving my experience and don't need a lecture from you. If you want to share information for the beneift of readers in general than you can do that without referencing anyone else's comments or putting down other people's opinions. 

It is wonderful that you take the time to share your vast knowledge but it would be nice if you didn't assume that you are the only one that knows anything or put down people who share their experiences. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

You are very knowledgeable about flying. Though i haven't flown anywhere near as much as you, i assume, i do understand how all this works.  My comment about them staying later alludes to the fact that RA's contracts can be different on different days and on different routes.  As well the fact that we booked flights at different times means that there can be contracts with different airlines and routes depending on when you book your air. 

I was simply giving my experience and don't need a lecture from you. If you want to share information for the beneift of readers in general than you can do that without referencing anyone else's comments or putting down other people's opinions. 

It is wonderful that you take the time to share your vast knowledge but it would be nice if you didn't assume that you are the only one that knows anything or put down people who share their experiences. 

I understand that FlyerTalker can come across in a way that I do not think that he means to.  We also know a lot of about flying but FlyerTalker not only has flying experience but also recent Regent experience (which some other posters on this board do not).  I have learned from both your experience with trying to book Emirates as well as from FlyerTalker.  In any case, I appreciate what I have learned from both of you and hope that FlyerTalker continues to post on this board as we desperately need his input.

amusea -  I do not believe that changing dates is going to change anything as it pertains to Emirates.  From what I have observed, people on the West Coast have to pay $1,500 to fly Emirates while the on the East Coast do not.  This is a generalization and could be wrong but it is a pattern that I have been watching.

We cannot get any non-stop flights from Emirates but can get to Seattle and then have a short "hop" up to Vancouver.  We are looking forward to seeing what is available with Emirates next year (February) when we will have Regent book a fight from Dubai to Vancouver.  Perhaps the contracts will be different in 2020!?  

In my opinion, Regent Air is quite flexible but we cannot expect them to accommodate all of our requests as they are limited by contracts.  That is why this board is helpful to many of us ........ we learn what other people's experience has been with Regent Air.

Thank you TravelCat2.  You are the only one who specifically answered my question about submitting the same flight from DXB to the West Coast on different days in an attempt to obtain the non-stop flight without cost.  I realize that everything  is dependent on Regent and their contracts so nothing is set in stone.

You may remember that I also was put off by FlyerTalker answering my questions as if I have never flown extensively and I think that 1982CruzStart has a valid point.  While we don't want to discourage anyone such as FlyerTalker with knowledge about a subject from contributing on this board, we also don't want to discourage anyone from asking questions and making comments for fear of being lectured to which is what I perceived also.   Just taking a little care in how responses are worded can make a big difference.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, amusea said:

The above start of a "quote" was done by mistake.

FlyerTalker - if you have time, could you answer a question for us?  A poster wants to know about upgrading Regent Custom Air flights with points.  A few posters have been able to do this but Rallydave indicated that it depends upon the "class" that you are booked under. He suggested that the person contact the airline "after" the flights are booked while I suggested that they contact the airline before the flights are booked but once Regent approves the flights and is awaiting the poster's approval.

While Rallydave could be correct, he has not used Regent Air in several years and all of our flights have been booked under the same "class code".  So, any input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  I do not like to give advice that ends up being incorrect - especially when it comes to flights.  

Thanks much!

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

The above start of a "quote" was done by mistake.

FlyerTalker - if you have time, could you answer a question for us?  A poster wants to know about upgrading Regent Custom Air flights with points.  A few posters have been able to do this but Rallydave indicated that it depends upon the "class" that you are booked under. He suggested that the person contact the airline "after" the flights are booked while I suggested that they contact the airline before the flights are booked but once Regent approves the flights and is awaiting the poster's approval.

While Rallydave could be correct, he has not used Regent Air in several years and all of our flights have been booked under the same "class code".  So, any input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  I do not like to give advice that ends up being incorrect - especially when it comes to flights.  

Thanks much!

Glad you clarified things.  Don't believe using or not using Regent air makes a difference in how airlines allow or don't allow for upgrades or awarding points.   Your idea of phoning the ailne in the midst of booking a deviation is good idea if you can get the full  fare basis from Regent.  Think I might have a better idea for those who want a fare that allows upgrades and/or make sure they will be awarded points.   

Once you choose your flights to be submitted to Regent Air contact the airlines you are requesting and ask them which fare basis do not allow an upgrade and/or give you FF points and then when you submit your request to Regent specify that none of those fare basis be booked.  The possible problem with phoning the airline after Regent provides your acceptable flights is that Regent might not be able to provide the necessary information and that your flights will not at that time be in the airlines computers so will be unable to answer your questions.

I posted the below in a different thread.  Substitute FF upgrades for FF accrual and you have the situation with upgrading with points.  One more point - for many programs, you not only need to have a suitable fare basis but also need to have inventory availability in a specific upgrade bucket.  Not just overall inventory in business/first.  And airline may have seats for revenue sale, but are not making them available for upgrades, either with cash and/or points.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It's the specific fare basis, not the "class" of ticket that determines any FF mileage accrual.  That fare basis is not just the single letter "class code", but the longer fare basis code (which can be many alpha-numeric characters long).  That code incorporates the fare rules for that ticket - and the accrual for the ticket would be specified in those fare rules and/or more general rules of the FF program.  Also, FWIW, the specific fare rules will supersede the general rules if in conflict.

IF (and it's a big if) you can get that specific fare basis, you may be able to find the fare rules online.  ExpertFlyer is an excellent source for published tickets and some published discounted ones.  Unfortunately, many "negotiated" fares have opaque fare rules, which sometimes are unavailable even after purchase.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:31 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I posted the below in a different thread.  Substitute FF upgrades for FF accrual and you have the situation with upgrading with points.  One more point - for many programs, you not only need to have a suitable fare basis but also need to have inventory availability in a specific upgrade bucket.  Not just overall inventory in business/first.  And airline may have seats for revenue sale, but are not making them available for upgrades, either with cash and/or points.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It's the specific fare basis, not the "class" of ticket that determines any FF mileage accrual.  That fare basis is not just the single letter "class code", but the longer fare basis code (which can be many alpha-numeric characters long).  That code incorporates the fare rules for that ticket - and the accrual for the ticket would be specified in those fare rules and/or more general rules of the FF program.  Also, FWIW, the specific fare rules will supersede the general rules if in conflict.

IF (and it's a big if) you can get that specific fare basis, you may be able to find the fare rules online.  ExpertFlyer is an excellent source for published tickets and some published discounted ones.  Unfortunately, many "negotiated" fares have opaque fare rules, which sometimes are unavailable even after purchase.

Thanks FlyerTalker for confirming my earlier post.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, FlyerTalker said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thank you so much for the detailed response (much more information than others have posted).

Just want to report that Regent Air just came through with our exact requests.  We had some specific concerns: European flights direct from/to West Coast; arrive as early in the evening as possible in Jerusalem; total flight time under 20 hours each way, etc.  We were given our first choices (LAX-SFO then non-stop on United Polaris to Tel Aviv; Air France from Athens connecting in Paris), and we even got first class on United from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Given that most flights to Israel from LA require connecting on the East Coast or arrive very late at night/very early morning, and that most afternoon flights from Athens also fly to the East Coast, paying the deviation fee to ensure flights that work for us was worth every penny.