Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sharle, if you can get to Miami (I know that it is about 100 miles away) there are some great flights on Cathay Pacific (one of our favorite airlines).  Just something to think about.

Just to let you know....those "Cathay Pacific" flights from MIA to JFK are not operated by CX.  They are JetBlue flights as a codeshare.

There are no non-USA airlines that operate flights within the USA.

1 hour ago, John G said:

In addition to that, we were charged $350 each air differential fee on our outbound flight. This is because Regent didn't have contracts with the airline to fly the routes we wanted to fly.

Not absolutely true.

It is possible that Regent did not have ANY contract for the routing you desired.  In which case, they would be buying a ticket on the spot market and the $350 is the differential that they charge for that spot market purchase (vs a contracted fare).  It is also possible that the contract that Regent has with your preferred XX airline has a contract price for your specific routing that is $350 more than the lowest priced (call it standard) routing that they would have with that, or other, carriers.  And finally, it is possible that Regent has a contract with your preferred airline for your desired routing - but that there is no longer any inventory at the lowest contract price and you are now paying a surcharge for acquiring additional seats from the airline.

I am a Regent newbie trying to figure out the included air.  Since we are in Las Vegas, we will be subject to the $249 per person round trip add-on fee.  This also will put us at much higher risk for two plane changes, as John G described using air deviation to avoid in flying from St. Louis.

My questions are:

If we wait and let Regent select our flights, and especially if we end up with two plane changes, we are at very high risk of either an overnight connection or a red-eye segment.  Will Regent be more likely to book us on a red-eye or an overnight connection?

If we do have an overnight connection, it is my understanding that Regent will provide a hotel for that night.  Is that right?  Would Regent still include the hotel in this situation if we use the air deviation?

I know that if we decline the Regent air altogether, we will also lose the transfers.  If we use air deviation, are the transfers still included?

9 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If we wait and let Regent select our flights, and especially if we end up with two plane changes, we are at very high risk of either an overnight connection or a red-eye segment.  Will Regent be more likely to book us on a red-eye or an overnight connection?

Without any information about where you are going from Las Vegas, it is impossible to give you information with any degree of certainty regarding red-eyes or forced overnight connections.

Note that virtually all trans-Atlantic flights involve a red-eye, with a very few daylight exceptions on short routes.  I know of no flights to Asia or deep South America that are not red-eyes, in one way or another.

And in answer to your question - Regent will put you on whatever flights fit the existing contracts and inventory available to them.  And there is NO way to know what that might be in advance.

10 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If we do have an overnight connection, it is my understanding that Regent will provide a hotel for that night.  Is that right?  Would Regent still include the hotel in this situation if we use the air deviation?

If the forced overnight is due to a Regent imposed itinerary, they SHOULD be responsible, but you should double check with the actual air terms and conditions for the black and white rules.  If you are choosing an itinerary through deviation that would include a forced overnight, any lodging and meal costs would be your responsibility, since you chose to take that itinerary.

14 hours ago, jashah said:

To clarify for my own interest, if "deviating" from a non-gateway city,

We are also in a non-gateway city. We have always chosen to take our flights starting in YVR and take care of getting to Vancouver on our own. Generally we fly to Vancouver the night before using points and stay at a hotel overnight. Our city can be plagued with bad weather during the times (fall and winter) we generally like to cruise so we don't like to take any chances that we don't get out of here in time to catch the rest of our flights.

I know Regent would be responsible for rebooking us and we always deviate flights to get us to the cruise at least the day before so we have some room for things to go wrong, the stress of flying out from here and continuing on is not worth it for us. The cost of a hotel room is worth going to Vancouver a day early.  Besides i love being in Vancouver and that is where we buy our foreign exchange. 

50 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If the forced overnight is due to a Regent imposed itinerary, they SHOULD be responsible, but you should double check with the actual air terms and conditions for the black and white rules.  If you are choosing an itinerary through deviation that would include a forced overnight, any lodging and meal costs would be your responsibility, since you chose to take that itinerary.

On our first Regent cruise we didn't care for any of the flights they offered us so after a lot of discussion they said they would give us flights through London but there would be a 30 hour delay and we would be responsible for all costs for that layover. We were fine with that because at that time i had never stayed in London and looked at it as the perfect opportunity to get to see some of London. We got into London relatively early, did some sightseeing that day, went to a play that night and got more sightseeing in before heading to the airport to catch our flight. It was great.  Up to that point the most expensive 30 hours of vacation we had enjoyed until we went to Machu Picchu.

4 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I know Regent would be responsible for rebooking us and we always deviate flights to get us to the cruise at least the day before So we have some room for things to go wrong, the stress of flying out from here and continuing on is not worth it for us.

Suggest you read paragraph 10.f of the following document, Cruise Ticket Contact.   https://www.rssc.com › hostedfiles › legal › USTicketContractJanuary2015  While Regent is usually good about rebooking and taking care of arrangements when problems occur the paragraph I quoted does not make them responsible for rebooking although it is likely they will.  it is ultimately the responsibility of the airline to get you to your destination and strongly suggest if this happens that in addition to contacting Regent you also get in touch with your air carrier as that does help by getting you directly to the airline for booking which Regent also has to do so cutting out the middleman as they say

If at the airport get in line to talk to an agent, phone their toll free number while in line and possibly get on line to book thru their website.  The faster you get to the source, the airline the better change for you to avoid delays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Suggest you read paragraph 10.f of the following document, Cruise Ticket Contact.   https://www.rssc.com › hostedfiles › legal › USTicketContractJanuary2015  While Regent is usually good about rebooking and taking care of arrangements when problems occur the paragraph I quoted does not make them responsible for rebooking although it is likely they will.  it is ultimately the responsibility of the airline to get you to your destination and strongly suggest if this happens that in addition to contacting Regent you also get in touch with your air carrier as that does help by getting you directly to the airline for booking which Regent also has to do so cutting out the middleman as they say

If at the airport get in line to talk to an agent, phone their toll free number while in line and possibly get on line to book thru their website.  The faster you get to the source, the airline the better change for you to avoid delays.

You are right of course, what i should have said is that i believe Regent would do what they could to help us get to our cruise.

Regardless it doesn't change the point of my posting  which is that i don't want to take the chance that the airline or Regent needs to help us re-book. I would rather go to Vancouver and improve my odds from that gateway.  The person i was 'talking' to also lives in BC and dealing with YVR as their gateway. 

Edited by 1982CruzStart

13 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

You are right of course, what i should have said is that i believe Regent would do what they could to help us get to our cruise.

Regardless it doesn't change the point of my posting  which is that i don't want to take the chance that the airline or Regent needs to help us re-book. I would rather go to Vancouver and improve my odds from that gateway.  The person i was 'talking' to also lives in BC and dealing with YVR as their gateway. 

Thanks for the clarification 1982CruzStart.  Just worry when people post expecting Regent and any other cruise line offering air to take care of them totally and get them to the ship at the cruise lines expense everytime and some posters perpetuate that myth leading to people traveling to the ship on the day of departure without considering the ramifications of flight issues.

Thanks again,

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Thanks for the clarification 1982CruzStart.  Just worry when people post expecting Regent and any other cruise line offering air to take care of them totally and get them to the ship at the cruise lines expense everytime and some posters perpetuate that myth leading to people traveling to the ship on the day of departure without considering the ramifications of flight issues.

Thanks again,

Thank you for correcting me.    You are quite right that using correct terms is important for all readers. It is so easy to mislead.  I appreciate you taking the time. 

Thanks again for the comments...very helpful.

Out of interest for everyone, by the time I add the non-gateway fee (YYJ) and deviation fee, the price for the flights from YYJ to FCO and NCE back to YYJ on LH/AC is pretty close to what I would get if I take the air credit and book on my own.  I have also not accounted for any extra airfare cost.

All in CAD:

3250 air credit

220 deviation fee

310 non-gateway fee (estimate based on 249 USD)

Total 3780 CAD

Current business class pricing on LH website is 3915 CAD which includes a stopover I want to make on the way home.

We just got back from Voyager after doing the Athens cruise ,your help with the flights and the other treads for info for us newbies helped make it outstanding. Now we are hooked. Looking at Alaska in August from Seaward to Vancouver. Which airlines do Regent book with from Boston ? I looked on matrix like you told me before American,Alaska,United, and Delta came up. Free First Class to Alaska for 2020. Which way would you go and why? Thanks as always.

Our deviation experience

Like many west coasters, we like to fly on an international carrier direct to Europe... in our case from San Diego that means Lufthansa or British Airways.  In deviating we went out on Lufthansa and return flight was supposed to be on BA. Yes, we, too were affected by the strike. Interestingly, Regent took care of the rebooking before we even knew were affected (we were enroute to Athens). Naturally, at this point we were rebooked on US carrier thru JFK... just what we were trying to avoid In deviating... but honestly was grateful didn’t have to spend one moment of vacation time scrambling. And domestic flight portion was first class.  In the past we sometimes arrange our own flights but this experience will make us rethink that. Stuff happens but Regent gets top marks for handling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Not absolutely true.

It is possible that Regent did not have ANY contract for the routing you desired.  In which case, they would be buying a ticket on the spot market and the $350 is the differential that they charge for that spot market purchase (vs a contracted fare).  It is also possible that the contract that Regent has with your preferred XX airline has a contract price for your specific routing that is $350 more than the lowest priced (call it standard) routing that they would have with that, or other, carriers.  And finally, it is possible that Regent has a contract with your preferred airline for your desired routing - but that there is no longer any inventory at the lowest contract price and you are now paying a surcharge for acquiring additional seats from the airline.

FlyerTalk...there's another possibility...Regent error! I chose the Custom Air Deviation and paid via credit card. Regent sent a confirmation email of my flight choices (confirmed) and payment. A day or two later, I sent a copy of this particular email and some others to my husband for his review. He asked why we were charged $350 EACH (total of $700), when I had told him the the fee was $175 p/p. I hadn't scrutinized the charge as I was immersed in travel insurance details. An email and 2 phone calls later, and I finally got confirmation acknowledging Regent's error and a credit back to my card. Moral of the story? Human error happens. 

• 1 month later...

I am considering a Regent cruise from Miami to New York, and would be flying from either LAX or LAS.  There are no flights that arrive in time for a same day embarkation except red-eyes.   Does this mean that if I want to use Regent Air and not have a red-eye, I would have to book a Concierge cabin or above?

We've never been offered different flight options based on our cabin choice. Concierge is not really a cabin choice, it's amenities that go with a veranda cabin or superior suite, depending on your ship. It comes with a few extras, such as a night in a hotel pre, with transfers, a coffee maker in the room, and earlier access to excursion reservations.

Within the US, you won't get any bargains from Regent, and you won't get your preference of flights. The only things you'll get is some assurance that you won't be left behind on your cruise because you booked through Regent, and the connecting flights will be closer than you would feel comfortable with if you book your own.

We experienced this with our first Regent cruise to Alaska. We had to fly to Atlanta from Fort Lauderdale instead of Fort Myers (2 hour drive instead of 20 minutes) because For Myers would have had us spend a night in a hotel in Atlanta. Instead, we had to pay for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale since our Atlanta flight was at 6:30 AM. We had 30 minutes between our arrival in Atlanta and our departure to Vancouver, which is something I would never book myself. Our flight attendant onboard told us that the flight crew would be taking the same Vancouver flight, and then I stopped worrying for the first time since I saw our Regent assigned flights.

On our way back from Alaska, we spent an extra week in Anchorage visiting family. On our way to the airport with a drop off by family  at 5:30 PM, we were texted that our flight was delayed for 2 hours. We decided to stop for dinner at a restaurant on the way to the airport. While there, our flight was delayed until the next morning, so we paid for dinner and went home with family for another night. Regent made sure that the connecting flight we had in Dallas was rescheduled with a brief time before our flight to Fort Lauderdale, and that the upgrade to better seats that we had paid extra for was applied to our new flight. We were happy to not have to deal with that. In addition, the airline gave us a credit for the delay since it was a flight attendant that was ill on arrival to Anchorage, and they were unable to find a replacement who was willing to fly until the next morning (on American Airlines).

We were happy not to have to deal with this ourselves, which could have happened if we had booked this flight on our own, and the airfare credit for this cruise was very minimal.

6 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I am considering a Regent cruise from Miami to New York, and would be flying from either LAX or LAS.  There are no flights that arrive in time for a same day embarkation except red-eyes.   Does this mean that if I want to use Regent Air and not have a red-eye, I would have to book a Concierge cabin or above?

That is one option as concierge or above gets you a hotel nite so you would fly in the day before for your included hotel the nite before embarkation.  You could also deviate and come in a day early plus choose your flights both way or take the air credit and make your own  reservations.

And SWFLAOK.  the flying in the day before is the choice Concierge gets you.  Also, for your delayed flight home from Alaska, once the flight reservations are made by Regent, the airline takes over and your delayed departure from ANchorage caused the airline to change your connection in Dallas and go your you your "better seats".  Pretty sure Regent was unaware of the flight delay and the whole delay was handled by the airline as in the T's and C's, Regent is not responsible for third parties such as the airlines. 

23 hours ago, SusieQft said:

As others have said, Concierge gets you the one night pre-cruise hotel so you’d fly in a day early.  If you don’t want to pay extra for Concierge you can pay a deviation fee and choose your flights...or take the air credit and book your own flights.  Be aware that if you don’t book your air with Regent you’ll lose your transfers, but that’s not a huge issue domestically.

I’d discuss your options with your TA...and if you don’t have a TA who’s familiar with Regent, I’d try and find one.   😁

23 hours ago, rallydave said:

That is one option as concierge or above gets you a hotel nite so you would fly in the day before for your included hotel the nite before embarkation.  You could also deviate and come in a day early plus choose your flights both way or take the air credit and make your own  reservations.

And SWFLAOK.  the flying in the day before is the choice Concierge gets you.  Also, for your delayed flight home from Alaska, once the flight reservations are made by Regent, the airline takes over and your delayed departure from ANchorage caused the airline to change your connection in Dallas and go your you your "better seats".  Pretty sure Regent was unaware of the flight delay and the whole delay was handled by the airline as in the T's and C's, Regent is not responsible for third parties such as the airlines. 

This was our first trip on Regent in 2018, and we didn't have a cabin with concierge amenities so we paid for our own transfer (about 30 dollars plus tip) to a hotel at the port in Vancouver (which was expensive, but very conveniently located above the port, and we were given an upgrade to a Bay View Suite from a room with a queen bed because we were willing  to eat lunch at the hotel restaurant while waiting for our upgraded room - the bay view suite was nearly as big as the condo where we live). We paid  for a deviation at the end of the trip since we were spending time with family, but we had Regent air on both ends from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver on the way out, and from Anchorage to Fort Lauderdale on the way back. If we were unable to make our connections on flights that Regent booked for us, you can be sure that we would hold them responsible, and not the airline they booked us on.We still do, and will on our future cruises.

When we book our own flights, we book direct flights rather than connecting flights, and if we need to have connecting flights, they won't be with times less than 2 hours in between as Regent does when booking your flights.

28 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

This was our first trip on Regent in 2018, and we didn't have a cabin with concierge amenities so we paid for our own transfer (about 30 dollars plus tip) to a hotel at the port in Vancouver (which was expensive, but very conveniently located above the port, and we were given an upgrade to a Bay View Suite from a room with a queen bed because we were willing  to eat lunch at the hotel restaurant while waiting for our upgraded room - the bay view suite was nearly as big as the condo where we live). We paid  for a deviation at the end of the trip since we were spending time with family, but we had Regent air on both ends from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver on the way out, and from Anchorage to Fort Lauderdale on the way back. If we were unable to make our connections on flights that Regent booked for us, you can be sure that we would hold them responsible, and not the airline they booked us on.We still do, and will on our future cruises.

When we book our own flights, we book direct flights rather than connecting flights, and if we need to have connecting flights, they won't be with times less than 2 hours in between as Regent does when booking your flights.

Well you cdd as n hold them responsible to your hearts content but you won’t get anything. Suggest you read the terms and conditions that you agree to by booking. Like mss as my cruise lines if not all the cruise line is NOT responsible for third party issues even when the cruise line books and or pays for the third party services

just like if a flight delay causes you to miss  the departure of your ship you and not the cruise line are responsible for getting to the next port where you can board including the costs. That said there are times where regent and other cruise lines will take on the responsibility even though they have stated in writing they are not responsible but the don’t have to and you will never win if you complain. 

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Well you cdd as n hold them responsible to your hearts content but you won’t get anything. Suggest you read the terms and conditions that you agree to by booking. Like mss as my cruise lines if not all the cruise line is NOT responsible for third party issues even when the cruise line books and or pays for the third party services

just like if a flight delay causes you to miss  the departure of your ship you and not the cruise line are responsible for getting to the next port where you can board including the costs. That said there are times where regent and other cruise lines will take on the responsibility even though they have stated in writing they are not responsible but the don’t have to and you will never win if you complain. 

OK rallydave. I'm not getting all of what you're saying, "cdd as n hold" for example. But if Regent books my flights, and they make me miss their cruise because they booked a connection with 30 minutes in between the flights, then yes they are responsible. I questioned it (in writing) and Regent assured us it would be OK (in writing). At that point, it doesn't matter what the contract says. I do read the contracts, but I also know that many standard contracts don't hold up when challenged, with the documentation that I had.

Obviously, if I choose to book my own flights, I am totally responsible for missing the cruise and paying to catch up with it if possible. That is why I have always taken the air provided by Regent and the other cruise lines we've traveled with. Paul Gauguin, for example, always waits for the LAX to PPT flight that they book many of their passengers on, which normally arrives between 11 PM and midnight. If it arrives later, the ship waits, and leaves as soon as they're onboard.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:52 AM, SusieQft said:

I'm not going to speak to the concierge question, as there is a far more fundamental one.

Going from either LAS or LAX, you have two choices.  A morning departure that has an afternoon/evening arrival OR an overnight red-eye.  Simple fact of over 2300 miles of flying and three hours of time change.

So first you should determine which of those two alternatives you prefer and wish to take.  Then go from there.

I write this because it seems like you are letting the "hotels and transfers" drive the decision, when it really should be the other way around.  MIA and the port are quite close, and hotels are extremely reasonable - so in the overall cost issue, it's a blip.  Yet the cruiseline makes it seem that they are giving you the world.  Granted, in some cities (Beijing, London, Bangkok) the transfer/hotel issue may be more critical.  But IMO, don't let the cart lead the horse.

13 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

But if Regent books my flights, and they make me miss their cruise because they booked a connection with 30 minutes in between the flights, then yes they are responsible. I questioned it (in writing) and Regent assured us it would be OK (in writing). At that point, it doesn't matter what the contract says. I do read the contracts, but I also know that many standard contracts don't hold up when challenged, with the documentation that I had.

If the MCT allows for a 30 minute connection, then there is nothing wrong on anyone's part.  Further, the contracts specifically state that the cruiseline is acting as an agent only and declaims all responsibility.   And believe it or not, the passenger also has responsibility for their actions.  Plus, some booking agent does not have the power to commit Regent in a legal sense to ensure that you make your cruise.

13 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Paul Gauguin, for example, always waits for the LAX to PPT flight that they book many of their passengers on, which normally arrives between 11 PM and midnight. If it arrives later, the ship waits, and leaves as soon as they're onboard.

Bad example.

First, there are very few flights in/out of PPT on a given day so it is easy for a cruiseline to be aware of any potential air issues.  There is the one TN flight that arrives in the evening and the TN and AF flights that arrive in the morning, plus the UA flight from SFO that arrives in the morning.  (Plus, I'm not sure about those 11pm arrivals -- perhaps you are thinking of the departure times back to the USA).

Also, it's not like the Gauguin has a long distance to travel to their next port of call.

Personally, it seems like you want to blame the cruiseline that they don't provide you with flights from your preferred airport at your preferred times.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on our first cruise in June 2020, Jewels of Northern Europe.  It starts in Copenhagen, ends in Stockholm.  We're doing a few days extra at each end.  TA contacted them, and we got our flights.  So glad we know what they are and didn't have to wait until April 2020 to find out what the flights would be.  Guess if  you know there is going to be a deviation you can get your flights early.  I'm sure you all knew this, but as a newbie I was very excited not to have to wait.

Aunty

On 9/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, 1982CruzStart said:

in a little over a month we are taking AC from YVR to YYZ to ZRH to BCN all in business class.  This is the first time we have taken AC within Canada with Regent. Most of the time they fly those of us from the west coast directly to Europe.  We had the option of LH but i didn't want to go through FRA after our experience last year. 

I think it works the same in Canada as USA that if your  domestic flight is on the same airline as the international flight then you get business class. 

If you have flown in and out of Barcelona in the past, how far is it distance wise from Regent cruise port to Barcelona airport?  Do you think much traffic on a Friday morning about 8 a.m.  We are cruising the Regent Explorer ship and arriving April 17, 2020 into Barcelona cruiseport.  Trying to figure how much time to allow for getting to airport and catching flight on that day.