For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

9 days door to door...(within last 2 weeks) Philly also....received old passport back 4 days later.

Woody

Amazing! Sometimes I think they run their process in batches, and some get in at the beginning of the cycle, while others get in later, so when they mail them all out, there have been different total processing times.

Theron

My DH and I sent our renewal application in by Priority Mail on 8/30/13 but it didn't arrive in Philly for processing on 9/6, 7 days later! We were getting nervous when I checked the tracking on Wednesday and the last tracking information was for Saturday morning indicating it left Kansas City (about 70 miles from home) and then nothing. On Thursday, I managed to make my way through the maze of automated messages at USPS and opened an investigation to find out where it was. Suddenly, on Friday it magically appeared at in Philly and was delivered. Don't know if my call on Thursday helped or not but it makes me wondered what would have happened if I hadn't called. Anyway, we received the passports back yesterday, 9/18 and hadn't requested expedited processing.

My husband applied Aug 30 (first time passport non expidited services) so I'll update once we get his back.

Still showing processing for us.

We leave a week from Sun so hopefully it shows up in time! (8 business days left). My husband joked that it will probably be waiting in the mailbox for him when we get home. If it comes down to it we'll just use his certified B.C.

The Status finally changed! We'll definitely have his book before our trip!

Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book!

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is ***.

When you applied, you requested Routine Service.

This means you should receive your passport on or about 09/25/2013.

The Status finally changed! We'll definitely have his book before our trip!

Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book!

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is ***.

When you applied, you requested Routine Service.

This means you should receive your passport on or about 09/25/2013.

Well guess what was in the mail today!!

First time passport non expidited in any way, applied Aug 30 recvd Sept 21.

So exactly 21 days including labor day in there!

If someone has a tight interval for a renewal be sure to pay the extra dollars for it to be expedited and sent back to you express mail.

Keith

That depends on the current turnaround time. I sent mine earlier this month, and got it back in 13 days. My fiancée paid the $60 to expedite, and she got hers a whopping one day sooner. (We both paid the $12.95? for overnight return) When they are busy, and return times are closer to 6 weeks, then expediting will get it back to you quicker, but it seems like a waste of money with the current times.

9/5 Dropped applications at the post office.

9/12 Her issue date

9/13 (Friday the 13th!) My issue date

9/16 Received hers

9/17 Received mine

Scott

Applied at a local county office and did just regular service. Applied for my 17 year old son on Friday 9/6. Not back yet..

Applied at the same county office on Monday 9/9 for my 14 year old son, again just regular service. His arrived today 9/26. 16 days not bad..

What's strange besides that my older sons was applied the Friday before and has not received yet is the online status check for both has never changed other than saying its being processed. The check for my 14 year old son was cashed almost a week earlier than the check for my 17 yr old son who actually applied a few days earlier.

I would not put a lot of weight in the on line status center, I would more look to see if my check was cashed and give it 2-3 weeks most from that date when you should expect the passport. Again this was regular service

Mine took less than 5 working days, expedited, regular mail out of Philly. Then last Friday I sent in my mothers, it was for a new passport, went to the post office and paid the extra $60 for expedited service and received the passport in the mail yesterday (Thursday). Government shutdown and still less than 5 working days.

• 2 months later...

We applied for our 3 kids on December 4th, and we received them today December 19th. We did not pay for expedite just the overnight delivery. When checking the status online it has said application not received, including today when they were delivered.

We applied for our 3 kids on December 4th, and we received them today December 19th. We did not pay for expedite just the overnight delivery. When checking the status online it has said application not received, including today when they were delivered.

That's gotta set some sort of a lurker record! Over four years! ;)

Theron

• 4 weeks later...

Mailed in old passport and renewal December 21

My new one issued Janaury 8

Received in mail today January 13

Not bad considering 2 holidays in there.

18 days to issue, 23 days to receive.

No special postage or expedite fee pd.

Edited by germanyboy
clarify

We needed to have our passports renewed.

While getting our passport pictures taken at Walgreen's, noticed they had the forms right there to send in to the US Passport Service.

We filled ours out the next day and mailed them.

New passports were back in two weeks.

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks for the information. My passport expires February 2015.

• 4 months later...
I mailed my renewal application, etc. on May 16th - will try to remember to post here when I receive renewal passport.

I applied for a new passport on May 15th at the county clerk office [very small rural county] and yesterday it was "in process"

The website says 4-6 weeks...and I leave in 42 days...that is cutting it close. I am encouraged that I have a processing number and that the check cleared. I'd love to hear from anyone who applied for a new one recently - mine is in Houston.

Will they update the message when it mails or will it still say in process? I have to decide whether to order another copy of the birth certificate...

TIA!!