Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Noelchristian92610

For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

Recommended Posts

Applied 11/02/18 - received email 11/16 saying passport had been printed and should arrive around the 24th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Applied for my first passport on March 22. Won’t have it until May 1st. 

5 1/2 weeks. I was getting worried. Everyone I know kept telling me theirs only took 2 weeks.  I thought there may be an issue because I have 3 last names. 

Edited by Jntaj02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent mine in via post office check and send on Monday delivered back 7.30am Friday same week. Well done Durham passport office.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent my husband's off two days ago.  I'm curious now how long it'll take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in the UK, you can do a renewal online. Provided you have an appropriate photo (and the website tells you how to take one yourself) and it is still recognisably YOU (albeit 10 years older!) the online renewal is great ( and cheaper).

 

DW did hers online on a Sunday - new passport arrived the following Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My wife and I both sent in renewal applications to Virginia address the same date. My new passport came in eight days, hers took five weeks - after continual  checking with USPS tracking - it spent a lot of time sitting in Texas.

 

You want to allow for unexplainable delays - which is why we applied about a year before expiry date: and applied when we knew we would not be traveling for several months. 

 

Now or we are waiting for approval of Global Entry renewal application - hoping to not have to go to JFK for interview.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see that the turnaround time on passports isn't typically as long as the website states. I applied for my first passport on Friday so hopefully mine will come back fast as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lazydays2004 said:

I'm glad to see that the turnaround time on passports isn't typically as long as the website states. I applied for my first passport on Friday so hopefully mine will come back fast as well.

The problem is that you are dealing with TWO beauracracies - the State Department and the Postal Service.  In our case the State Department moved - the Postsl Service just squatted on one of our passports for over three weeks. It was an interesting exercise using the tracking application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took 5 days for my husband's application to reach it's destination.  Now we wait.

Edited by fyree39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 8:27 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The problem is that you are dealing with TWO beauracracies - the State Department and the Postal Service.  In our case the State Department moved - the Postsl Service just squatted on one of our passports for over three weeks. It was an interesting exercise using the tracking application.

It's ridiculous that the postal service delayed your passport, good thing you didn't need it back fast.  I did the tracker on mine, it's processing now and the State Department has cashed my check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lazydays2004 said:

It's ridiculous that the postal service delayed your passport, good thing you didn't need it back fast.  I did the tracker on mine, it's processing now and the State Department has cashed my check.

The State Deparment is pretty competent when it comes to cashing checks, a bit less so when it comes to actually issuing and mailing passports.  The Postal Service  is a whole other thing — you want to keep tracking, especially after three weeks pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My name change/renewal passport application sat in Texas for 10 days, USPS said it was lost, but all of a sudden it was found and delivered the same day.. I mailed it with more than 8 weeks prior to my trip, but since it took over 14 days to get there, I leave in 6 weeks, I hope I get it.my advice pay for insurance and/or guaranteed delivery time.  Now I wait and see.... Fingers crossed it will be faster since it is a name change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 10:40 AM, lazydays2004 said:

I'm glad to see that the turnaround time on passports isn't typically as long as the website states. I applied for my first passport on Friday so hopefully mine will come back fast as well.

I finally got my passport.....it took 5 wks, 5 days. I recieved an email on Monday that they were finished and mailing it, it was in my mailbox on Wednesday.  I'm still waiting on my birth certificate to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent ours in from USPS on 5/17, check cashed on 5/21.

 

Patiently waiting. Email confirmation received stating 4-6 weeks but current times show 6-8 weeks........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another data point for the curious...


Had to renew my passport as it expired in late June...sent in the renewal on May 8th, 2 day priority mail. The package arrived on the morning of May 10th, and my check was processed on May 14th.  The application was in the system by the time I checked on May 21st.  Signed up for email alerts around that same time.  Received an email on June 6th indicating that the application was being processed (which seemed weird because they had cashed the check 3 weeks prior, but I was only now getting notified that it was being processed?), then got another set of emails on June 7th (3 of them) saying the passport had been issued, and providing a locator # and tracking number.  

 

Happily, the passport arrived today, June 10th - so about 4 1/2 weeks later - and in plenty of time for our mid-July cruise.  I'm happy everything went according to plan, but in hindsight I'll probably apply at least a month or two earlier next time, just so I'm not sweating over whether it's going to arrive on time.  

Edited by PlanetX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My MIL and oldest daughter applied for theirs a week apart from each other (a new one and a replacement, respectively) and theirs both arrived in less than 4 weeks. I sometimes marvel at how painless the process was. The worst part was my daughter forgetting to bring her driver's license with her to the courthouse, and having to run home to get it. As I say that, I just realized that I sent her driving in my car without her license... I hope the government isn't reading this haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My name change/renewal passport application was mailed on May 16, not delivered until May 29, and started processing on May 31.  I got in back in the mail today June 15!  So about 15 days from process to in my hand!  woo hoo!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 6:38 PM, tarabelle99 said:

Sent ours in from USPS on 5/17, check cashed on 5/21.

 

Patiently waiting. Email confirmation received stating 4-6 weeks but current times show 6-8 weeks........

Update:

 

Recieved shipping notification today 6/17 scheduled to be delivered 6/18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just applied for my newborn son's passport and it took a total of 2 weeks from the day it was mailed to the state department until we received it back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 6:38 PM, tarabelle99 said:

Sent ours in from USPS on 5/17, check cashed on 5/21.

 

Patiently waiting. Email confirmation received stating 4-6 weeks but current times show 6-8 weeks........

Ours took six weeks this time around and the website was saying 6-8 as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided on going on a family cruise with 15 of us total. Very last minute but I made an appt for my daughter to get her passport card on June 5th at post office. She had just turned 18, 5 days before. We provided her SS card, student ID from her senior year, her original birth certificate, and her CA driver's permit WITH PHOTO. issued 5 months 10 days or so before applying. 

I paid $150 for expedited service, 2 day shipping, card, fees. It was supposed to get there by Friday 7th. They told us expedited was taking about 2 weeks right now- at most 3. That gave us 3 full weeks to be processed and returned. Before 29th. On 21st, I recieved letter in the mail asking for more info. 

They needed  CA DL 2. State ID, military ID.... duh if I had one of those I wouldn't have bothered getting a passport card. As we needed to prove her age. 

She only has a driver's permit with photo... But it's listed as all you need along with the other examples in secondary. So I called on Monday and they said they will put a note in to have someone call. Of course they called I missed it, I then called back three times today and left 3 messages on her voice mail. Told them I mailed back in the letter I recieved, and again sent in her BCert, copy of her SS#, her travel info, 3 of her student IDs from her 8th grade, 11th, 12 the grade years, along with copy of her passport photo right next to it to see it's the same girl. I sent in a copy of her health card they medi-cal, front and back, a report card from 11th grade, a photo of her in her high school yearbook as a senior, her voter registration confirmation, her current driver's permit with photo AND her expired driver's permit expired from when she was 16. But has not taken her driver's test yet. I basically gave them her entire identity.  I was told I could go down to get one at the passport agency nearby within 72 hours but that I would be prepared to spend another $150. Yeah no. I gave them everything she needed  to send in, why they sent in a request for a ca id still its beyond me. Sounds like inept workers... We are leaving on Sunday. We've got 4 days left to get it in the mail. I feel like there's no chance we will get it by then. And I'm out $150, no passport AND no original birth certificate!!!! 

 

So mad. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 4:16 AM, 11midnight11 said:

We decided on going on a family cruise with 15 of us total. Very last minute but I made an appt for my daughter to get her passport card on June 5th at post office. She had just turned 18, 5 days before. We provided her SS card, student ID from her senior year, her original birth certificate, and her CA driver's permit WITH PHOTO. issued 5 months 10 days or so before applying. 

I paid $150 for expedited service, 2 day shipping, card, fees. It was supposed to get there by Friday 7th. They told us expedited was taking about 2 weeks right now- at most 3. That gave us 3 full weeks to be processed and returned. Before 29th. On 21st, I recieved letter in the mail asking for more info. 

They needed  CA DL 2. State ID, military ID.... duh if I had one of those I wouldn't have bothered getting a passport card. As we needed to prove her age. 

She only has a driver's permit with photo... But it's listed as all you need along with the other examples in secondary. So I called on Monday and they said they will put a note in to have someone call. Of course they called I missed it, I then called back three times today and left 3 messages on her voice mail. Told them I mailed back in the letter I recieved, and again sent in her BCert, copy of her SS#, her travel info, 3 of her student IDs from her 8th grade, 11th, 12 the grade years, along with copy of her passport photo right next to it to see it's the same girl. I sent in a copy of her health card they medi-cal, front and back, a report card from 11th grade, a photo of her in her high school yearbook as a senior, her voter registration confirmation, her current driver's permit with photo AND her expired driver's permit expired from when she was 16. But has not taken her driver's test yet. I basically gave them her entire identity.  I was told I could go down to get one at the passport agency nearby within 72 hours but that I would be prepared to spend another $150. Yeah no. I gave them everything she needed  to send in, why they sent in a request for a ca id still its beyond me. Sounds like inept workers... We are leaving on Sunday. We've got 4 days left to get it in the mail. I feel like there's no chance we will get it by then. And I'm out $150, no passport AND no original birth certificate!!!! 

 

So mad. 

 

 

Kinda sounds like the combination of their confusion on her identity (for whatever reason) plus waiting until the last minute was a bad combination. I do hope you were able to get it straightened out before sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...