Diagnosed with MdDS - looking for advice

On 4/26/2013 at 4:31 AM, HeyJude1968 said:

Hi I've just been diagnosed with MdDS after 11 weeks back on land and still rocking and swaying. As no sickness pills or nausea meds work for this syndrome I was looking for some advice from others who have actually been diagnosed with Mal de Debarquement Syndrome and have had success in dealing with or treating the symptoms. The only time I feel normal is when I'm driving in my car, which is typical for this syndrome, and have actually driven around and around the block when it has gotten to bad and I haven't been able to cope.

:(

Did this ever clear up for you?? I’m on day 10 of bobbing and ear fullness vertigo etc with no improvement in symptoms! This is debilitating and the internet is a scary place when it comes to MDDS. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Tsommer12 said:

Did this ever clear up for you?? I’m on day 10 of bobbing and ear fullness vertigo etc with no improvement in symptoms! This is debilitating and the internet is a scary place when it comes to MDDS. 

I am not the OP but I had something similar happen to me several years ago.  

I was walking my dog when as I crossed the street,  I became unsteady on my feet.  It felt like the street was slippery.  When the feeling did not go away (it was not the road surface) I found that I seemed to be weighted on my right side.  It was very difficult to walk.  Shiny surfaces bothered me, too.  I felt like I might fall going into places like a shopping mall with shiny flooring. Walking on carpet was better.  I think i had traction on the carpet which made me feel more secure.

The only time I felt normal was driving in the car and walking up a hill.  I would look for hills to climb, strange as that sounds.  Going down a hill was another story.  Going down hills are still difficult for me.  Other than that I feel mostly normal now.

This went on for three years.  The first year was very difficult, then I felt a bit better the second year, and the third year was much better.  I was so accustomed to feeling unbalanced that when I began to notice the unsteadiness subsiding, I was so programmed to feeling unsteady that is all I thought about.  It is mostly gone now, though.  It took a long time, over three years, but it is something that I rarely think about now.   

All this is to say that whatever was causing my condition did resolve itself, but it was a long, sometimes depressing process.  Perhaps had I gotten help as was discussed in this thread earlier I would have recovered quicker.   I am glad it is now mostly a distant memory.

Edited by Kmangel