Reflection formal dress in all restaurants except buffet

FLJudi

Posted in today's daily on the Reflection transatlantic:

"in order to maintain the elegance of our ships ambience, Celebrity Cruises requests that all guests adhere to the evening dress code in all Dining Rooms. if you are more comfortable in casual attire. You are welcome to dine in our Seaside Cafe on Deck 10. Thank You for your understanding and consideration."

Is Blu considered a dining room or do they just mean the MDR? DH and I are on a cruise in Alaska 2 weeks from today...although I'm not a dress up kind of person, I do follow the code whether I like it or not...so I don't want to be unprepared but at the same time, if smart casual is all I have and they haven't sent out anything saying otherwise....ummm, I will not be formal that night and I will also not be at the buffet.

"in order to maintain the elegance of our ships ambience, Celebrity Cruises requests that all guests adhere to the evening dress code in all Dining Rooms. if you are more comfortable in casual attire. You are welcome to dine in our Seaside Cafe on Deck 10. Thank You for your understanding and consideration."

First of all, "evening dress code" is smart casual or above for everything but the buffet. Was this daily for a formal night? Secondly as has been stated, the specialty restaurants, including Blu are not considered dining rooms they are restaurants. No one expects formal attire in the Lawn Club Grill or Bistro on Five.

Dress code confusion continues on Celebrity and is unfair to passengers who read the policies and pack accordingly. Despite written policies which clearly state that formal dress codes do not apply in specialty dining rooms or Blu, a pattern of non compliance by staff with these policies and confusion seems to constantly crop up. We once encountered a matre d in Blu on Eclipse requiring men to wear jackets he supplied from a dining room closet. One angry passenger printed out the policy which says formal dress does not apply in Blu to which the maitre d stated that the web site is a mistake. The passenger stormed out of Blu and headed for the buffet. Other areas of inconsistent or confusing messaging from Celebrity include lack of clarity on drinks included in Premium vs Classic drink packages and a booking system which requires AQ guests to select early or late dining when AQ is always open seating. This confusion detracts from the passenger experience and it should not be that hard to get these sorts of things correct.

I agree with Edgee's post above.

The most important thing is that people have the correct expectation before the cruise and to know what clothing to bring along. It is not acceptable to surprise people by having dress codes announced after boarding that differ from those stated in pre-cruise information.

I don't think there is any change in policy, just somewhat sloppy wording in the daily that confused the OP. When I was on the Silhouette in March, the daily stated the following on formal nights:

During the cruise, the dress code will be posted at the top left corner of the Celebrity Today. In order to maintain the elgance of our ship's ambiance, the Dress Code is in effect from 6:00 pm each evening and is applied strictly in our main dining room, the Grand Cuvee, Decks 3 & 4.

Note the use of "main" with dining room, and the name of the MDR, and even the floors so that no one could possibly be confused. The choice of words in the Reflection newsletter "all Dining Rooms" is a poor choice of words, but I believe the intent is the same. As Harz99 pointed out, the specialty restaurants have never been considered "dining rooms."

If the OP comes back and reports seeing people turned away from the specialty restaurants for not being in formal attire, I'll reconsider. But otherwise I think this is just sloppy wording in the newsletter.

Celebrity Today.pdf

The most important thing is that people have the correct expectation before the cruise and to know what clothing to bring along. It is not acceptable to surprise people by having dress codes announced after boarding that differ from those stated in pre-cruise information.

Larry is correct as usual, if we would remember back a few months one of the ships did the same thing and actually were enforcing a formal dress code in all restaurants. There was a huge uproar on this board and the Celebrity people who frequent the board got involved. The policy on board that ship was quickly rectified as they basically can't change the rules after the game has started.

On the April 1st sailing on Infinity it was posted as its own story in Celebrity today. The wording was "all dining venues except the buffet" are formal attire on formal nights. Sadly, it wasnt enforced very well but it was very clear as to what "venues" they meant.

IMHO, this is a standard statement printed in each daily. I just happen to have some from 1993 sitting here and they have the same statement. Now if they have returned to 'enforcement' that is a different story.

ps: I usually read all the comments b/4 I post, did not on this one.

I don't understand where this came from? There is no Seaside Cafe on Deck 10, but there's an Oceanview Cafe on Deck 14.

If this is in fact an exact quote out of Reflection's daily, someone needs to tell them they need to pay more attention to detail.

With the exception of the mistake pointing to the Seaside Cafe on deck 10, which doesn't exist on the Reflection, the statement is accurate....there is a dress code for all dining rooms.....it is "smart casual or above on all nights except on formal nights when the dress code is "formal" in the MDR and smart casual in other restaurants. "smart casual" is NOT "casual".

As far as the incident at Blu....they were completely making up their own policy....and I might have taken the jacket and put it on my chair...I would not wear a jacket that someone else had worn.

Agree. It should not be so difficult to get correct information out to people who will be sailing on their ships. And you can't change the rules once people have booked. Celebrity needs to get its act together and to communicate appropriately to all involved.

By the way, if I were a man who had been refused entry to Blu due to lack of a jacket, I would have gone directly to the Hotel Director, not to the buffet.

I sailed the April 13 Reflection cruise and was having back problems. I had brought my tux and wore it the first night, but decided it was just too much trouble to get dressed up on the second formal night. So we dressed "smart casual" and ate in Bistro on five without any problem. I even asked before entering if we were dressed acceptably and were told that we were.

Archived