Has Boudicca still got norovirus on it?

trinitytrees

Hi, i am now considering cruise from Liverpool, but ship is Boudicca, last time we were on that ship within two days of leaving Liverpool lots of people went down with Norovirus, I didnt get it but got very bad asthma attack from all the chemical smells of the cleaning etc. I needed steroids to help me breath, I know norovirus has been on the ship lots of times both before and after that cruise. I read that been in for a 24hr clean. does anyone know if she is now clear, I dont want to risk booking and face the illness (potentially) like I had last time, it was no holiday, i felt dreadful on my return and for weeks after. but cruise from Liverpool would be good, any one know anything about current position? thank you.

I know norovirus has been on the ship lots of times both before and after that cruise. I read that been in for a 24hr clean. does anyone know if she is now clear...

I don't think that is a question that can be usefully answered.

Every time a new set of passengers go on-board there is a chance that one or more of them will be carrying the virus with them.

Doesn't matter how much effort the poor crew put into cleaning the ship, it only takes one thoughtless passenger with poor hygiene to start things off again.

Every time a new set of passengers go on-board there is a chance that one or more of them will be carrying the virus with them.

Doesn't matter how much effort the poor crew put into cleaning the ship, it only takes one thoughtless passenger with poor hygiene to start things off again.

Thoroughly agree having watched the avoidance antics of some people. :mad:

Whilst i agree with you in that every new passenger could potentially carry the virus onboard, and it can spread by passengers not following hygenie procedures. however the Boudicca seems to have outbreaks of norovirus more than any other ship as far as I am aware, yet the same risk applies with each new passenger.

I saw a programme where it was shown how far the virus spreads when someone is sick and that it can lay in the area for weeks, so for eg in carpets, on surfaces etc unless a very very thorough clean of all areas touched by virus is done. they used a "pretend" virus that could be seen when a special light was shone onto it, I was shocked how far the "virus" travelled.

Whilst i agree with you in that every new passenger could potentially carry the virus onboard, and it can spread by passengers not following hygenie procedures. however the Boudicca seems to have outbreaks of norovirus more than any other ship as far as I am aware, yet the same risk applies with each new passenger.

I saw a programme where it was shown how far the virus spreads when someone is sick and that it can lay in the area for weeks, so for eg in carpets, on surfaces etc unless a very very thorough clean of all areas touched by virus is done. they used a "pretend" virus that could be seen when a special light was shone onto it, I was shocked how far the "virus" travelled.

Trinitytrees has it about right. There are a lot of misconceptions regarding the virus and personal hygiene. Of course washing hands and so on helps to prevent the spread of the virus but the real problem with this particular genus is that it can live for long periods outside the body.

It is one of a class of virus which are characterized as being single-stranded RNA and are able to live on surfaces for long periods (months or even years).

In many closed environments such as prisons and schools where it can also be a problem, deep cleaning can to a certain extent keep things under control.

The problem on cruise ships and similar places is that they are full of soft furnishings, carpets, curtains etc which cannot be easily subjected to a sterilizing regime which will kill the strain. This means that in practice any ship which has experienced an outbreak will almost certainly still have it on board.

There are a lot of misconceptions regarding the virus and personal hygiene.

What exactly would you suggest are the 'misconceptions' ?

Clearly if you have an entirely virus free group of passengers and crew then environmental contamination can still initiate a problem, but even then the rate at which the problem spreads is greatly influenced by the levels of personal hygiene maintained by those on board.

I struggle to think of circumstances in which poor hygiene does not contribute to the problem.

The problem in comparing a prison or a school to a cruise ship is that with the former, the population of people is relatively static with comparatively few incomers. With a cruise ship, you draw people from widely separate communities then place them in close proximity to each other so you greatly increase the risk of exposing people to something they have not developed a resistance against.

You see the same effect at colleges and universities at the beginning of the year when students return from their widely geographically scattered homes bringing all sorts of problems with them that others have previously had little exposure to.

What exactly would you suggest are the 'misconceptions' ?

Mainly that every outbreak is brought on board by an errant passenger.

I fully accept the good hygiene (particularly hand hygiene) helps limit the spread but to dump all responsibility on some mythical miscreant boarder is just propaganda.

tiggertom, that is really good to hear. I just told my husand and he said cynically who has put the post on ...fred? It was meant to be funny.

Thank you for posting, i hope that everyone onboard enjoyed the cruise. i am sure it was a relief to the staff as well.

tiggertom, that is really good to hear. I just told my husand and he said cynically who has put the post on ...fred? It was meant to be funny.

Thank you for posting, i hope that everyone onboard enjoyed the cruise. i am sure it was a relief to the staff as well.

Hi trinitytrees

I wish I was Fred then I wouldn't have to pay :D

For the first three days the crew served at the buffet and then we were back to normal.

As long as everybody follows the hygiene rules the ship will be fine.

Have a good time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We were supposed to sail yesterday (23/05) but cancelled due to Norvovirus outbreak on ship's last voyage and possibility of infection. We are getting a FULL refund, no questions asked! How can the ship be "deep cleaned" in a couple of hours? Impossible. Needs taking out of service for a week.

We were supposed to sail yesterday (23/05) but cancelled due to Norvovirus outbreak on ship's last voyage and possibility of infection. We are getting a FULL refund, no questions asked! How can the ship be "deep cleaned" in a couple of hours? Impossible. Needs taking out of service for a week.

But Boudicca is currently (15:57:29 24 May 13 BST) sailing through the Minch, destination Krisiansand :confused:

Yes but I'm not on board. I meant check with Port Authority as to whether there had been any Norovirus reports. FO admit it had, that's how I was allowed to cancel without penalty.

I think you are over reacting. Unless you have medical problems it is unlikely you will become ill if you follow the hygiene rules.

Norovirus is everywhere, schools, hospitals, etc so it is difficult to avoid.

I am glad you were able to cancel if that is what you wanted.

Better to check with the Port Health Authority! I think you may have missed something! ;)

I don't know what you are saying...? I left Boudicca after a 12 day cruise and there wasn't a hint of norovirus - :confused:

Yesterday I went to watch BOUDICCA depart from Liverpool. She was supposed to be away at 17:00 to allow another ship to berth at 17:00. She didn't get away until 18:40. I didn't hang round to watch her go but I did hear a PA announcement about regular hand washing and other restrictions due to a gastro enteritis bug. Any of the spectators on Prince's Parade would have heard it.

I am booked on her in August but not unduly worried.

There had been a bug on the cruise prior to my BALMORAL trip to Norway last summer and there were some restrictions on buffet etc and no table cruets but it wasn't a problem for me. Good idea to keep your own bottle of cleanser with you.

John

I think you are over reacting. Unless you have medical problems it is unlikely you will become ill if you follow the hygiene rules.

Norovirus is everywhere, schools, hospitals, etc so it is difficult to avoid.

I am glad you were able to cancel if that is what you wanted.

Fortunately I have never yet met it head on. Knowing about it in this case allowed me to take avoiding tactics and just not take a chance. I am not young any more so wish to preserve myself for a little bit longer. I will use my returned payment for another cruise in the Summer when the ravages of Winter and its aftermath have disappeared. :)

Yesterday I went to watch BOUDICCA depart from Liverpool. She was supposed to be away at 17:00 to allow another ship to berth at 17:00. She didn't get away until 18:40. I didn't hang round to watch her go but I did hear a PA announcement about regular hand washing and other restrictions due to a gastro enteritis bug. Any of the spectators on Prince's Parade would have heard it.

I am booked on her in August but not unduly worried.

There had been a bug on the cruise prior to my BALMORAL trip to Norway last summer and there were some restrictions on buffet etc and no table cruets but it wasn't a problem for me. Good idea to keep your own bottle of cleanser with you.

John

I have a bottle cleanser with me at all times and never had a probelm wiht NV

I have a bottle cleanser with me at all times and never had a probelm wiht NV

I think that you and the previous poster should consider yourselves very lucky. People are coming down with the illness even as they have disembarked. Trip Advisor also has much comment on the Boudicca and Norovirus in general. :(

I think that you and the previous poster should consider yourselves very lucky. People are coming down with the illness even as they have disembarked. Trip Advisor also has much comment on the Boudicca and Norovirus in general. :(

I take bacterial wipes with me and re wipe everything down including the remote control ( do this in hotels as well)

Wash hands before and after the toilet, and wash hands again after touching the door to go out - I use anti viral hand foam, which is different from the bacterial hand gels

I can't find anything on Tripadvisor about the Boudicca - they don't seem to review cruise ships? When I clicked on cruises on their web page it took me back to Cruise Critic. Perhaps you could post a link?

Archived