Freighter Cruise First Time....

Hi all,

I'm retiring early, within the next 24 months, and have been very interested in freighter cruising.

I like the idea of being isolated, at sea, and enjoying a pretty quiet cruise. The commercial passenger cruises don't really appeal to me.

So for those who have done it, I'm interested in a shortish cruise (2-3 weeks) out of a USA port going *somewhere* and returning.

Anyone have any good experiences?

Hi all,

I'm retiring early, within the next 24 months, and have been very interested in freighter cruising.

I like the idea of being isolated, at sea, and enjoying a pretty quiet cruise. The commercial passenger cruises don't really appeal to me.

So for those who have done it, I'm interested in a shortish cruise (2-3 weeks) out of a USA port going *somewhere* and returning.

Anyone have any good experiences?

Hello Cozzicon, Now days there aren't too many options when it comes to freighters carrying a few passengers. If you increase the time to about six weeks, and the desired departure ports you may be interested in one of these options:

NSB - Conti Elektra & Conti Daphne depart San Juan for Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; Manzanillo and Colon, Panama; Caucedo and Rio Haina, Dominican Rep.; returning to San Juan. About 14 days. 2 passengers. Age limit: 79. About $1,700 double; $2,268 single. Taxes/deviation insurance/fees are additional. Fares are Euro-based. Round trip only.

NSB - MSC Ilona & Alessia depart New York for Baltimore, MD; Savannah, GA; Freeport, Bahamas; Caucedo, Dominican Republic; Rio de Janeiro & Santos, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio Grande, Santos (2nd call), Rio de Janeiro (2nd call), Salvador, and Suape, Brazil; Caucedo (2nd call); Kingston, Jamaica; Freeport (2nd call); Norfolk, VA; returning to New York. About 56 days. 5 passengers. Age lmit: 79. About $7,056 double; $6,664-$8,232 single. Add about $368 taxes/deviation ins./fees. Fares Euro-based.

Archived