Anyone back yet from the April cruises

LHT28

Thanks for the discussion of cabin preferences, very enlightening. If your cabin opens to a promenade, is there any loss of cabin privacy...or of serenity?

I would call it almost an essential part of enjoying the river boat. Almost all the cabins DO open on to the promenade decks; only the inside, bay window and "private veranda" cabins do not.

On our cruise, the window in the door and the smaller windows next to the door had curtains that were not quite adequate for privacy. If someone walking past was excessively nosy or an overt voyeur, it was possible they could see some small part of your cabin through gaps in the curtain. One quickly learned to avert one's eyes. Howeveer, I read in the company's blog that they have replaced the curtain with plantation-style shutters, which will solve the problem. Our cabin, 455, was one of the few equipped with shutters on the door windows, but had the not-quite-closure curtains on the small side windows (or "lights" architecturally).

Each cabin has two small chairs and a small table outside the door. It's highly unlikely that anyone else would sit at your table. Folks often sat at the tables and enjoyed the river banks sliding by; the views are wonderful at 7 miles per hour. You can easily tell who wants to be sociable; they will look up and smile, or give some other sign they are willing to chat. Others doze or have their nose buried in a book or computer screen; they're easy to ignore. It's much like walking through a lounge or library on an ocean ship, except that it all seems more relaxed and friendlier.

There are numerous other places to enjoy the sights; the Front Porch is one of the most popular, with chairs, tables, swings, rockers, etc., and often an entertainer picking at a guitar or mandolin, quietly singing along. The River grill is above the paddlewheel on the top deck; it's where the calliope keyboard is located (and the calliope whistles are directly overhead). Nearby is the small pool area and a tiny exercise room. In the front there is the chart room, with tables and chairs on the open deck in front.

The whole experience was just fabulous for me; I can't wait to get back aboard, even though this year's voyage is only 5 days (all we could afford; we have 5 other cruises throughout 2013 totalling 51 days).

Here are some pictures that may help illustrate the boat:

The exterior of our cabin, 455, at the stern:

aq1.jpg

Another exterior view; shows the plantation style shutters:

aq2.JPG

The deck outside 455, illustrating the small amount of water blown up by the paddlewheel and the wind blowing the right direction:

aq3.JPG

A typical promenade deck, showing the small tables and chairs:

aq4.JPG

Another view of a promenade deck. The are different widths; some of the decks have the vertical columns right out at the rail:

aq5.JPG

Some additional photos of other areas of the ship...

The front rail of the Front Porch:

aq6.JPG

An impromptu concert on the Front Porch by members of the 97th Regiment String Band:

aq7.JPG

The bar at the River Grill, with the "expert" at the calliope keyboard:

aq8.JPG

The calliope whistles:

aq9.JPG

And, while it doesn't really illustrate the boat, one of my favorite shots. Passing under a railway bridge, the pilot house has been lowered, the stacks have been folded down, and the pilot was standing on the navigation wing -- but, wait! The overhead clearance is too close! The pilot has to DUCK!

aq10.JPG

Being able to walk the photo gallery with you is an eye-opener. We really appreciate the added insights on cabin selection, dining, and ship ambiance. Cleans up some anxieties about this boat we didn't know we had. Seven silver dollars to you!:D

Being able to walk the photo gallery with you is an eye-opener. We really appreciate the added insights on cabin selection, dining, and ship ambiance. Cleans up some anxieties about this boat we didn't know we had. Seven silver dollars to you!:D

If you would like to see a LOT more photos of the boat, check out my album at: www.ExquisiteCards.Fototime.com . Scroll down towards the bottom; you will find the album there.

I also blogged about the cruise. Look under "Domestic Travel" at:

www.ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

On our cruise, the window in the door and the smaller windows next to the door had curtains that were not quite adequate for privacy. If someone walking past was excessively nosy or an overt voyeur, it was possible they could see some small part of your cabin

We had the same problem with our cabin #453 at the rear of the boat. I had hoped that they read my comment card and corrected this problem. We cruised on May 5, 2013

On our cruise, the window in the door and the smaller windows next to the door had curtains that were not quite adequate for privacy. If someone walking past was excessively nosy or an overt voyeur, it was possible they could see some small part of your cabin

We had the same problem with our cabin #453 at the rear of the boat. I had hoped that they read my comment card and corrected this problem. We cruised on May 5, 2013

You cabin was right next door to the one we had in 2012, #455.

But, you say you cruised in May, 2013 -- the blog where we read about the Mahogany shutters was February 21, 2013:

It’s been a busy time at the shipyard in New Orleans as we prepare the American Queen for the beginning of the 2013 sailing season. As we mentioned in our February 5 blog, we’ve been adding new platinum-toned wallpaper, building a new elegant marble and granite entryway to the J.M. White Dining Room, creating the Front Porch Café, hanging new artwork, and installing mahogany plantation shutters on French doors in suites and staterooms. Some of the enhancements are behind the scenes, such as new state-of-the-art appliances in the galley.

Now, I'm concerned -- our cabin already had the shutters on the door, and our problem was with the drapes that pretended to cover the side windows. If you had the same problem in May, then shutters may only have been installed on the doors, not on the windows. I'll try to remember to report back from our August 4 cruise this year, although we have a different cabin (401, which is shaped differently than any others).

You cabin was right next door to the one we had in 2012, #455.

But, you say you cruised in May, 2013 -- the blog where we read about the Mahogany shutters was February 21, 2013:

Now, I'm concerned -- our cabin already had the shutters on the door, and our problem was with the drapes that pretended to cover the side windows. If you had the same problem in May, then shutters may only have been installed on the doors, not on the windows. I'll try to remember to report back from our August 4 cruise this year, although we have a different cabin (401, which is shaped differently than any others).

We had the shutters on the doors only, they did not put shutters on the two side windows and as you said there was questionable privacy....

I think that this problem is only with the aft cabins. I don't know about the cabins on any other deck but ours.

Thanks for the quick review. We are looking forward to our trip in a few weeks. Curious about the warning on the stern rooms. Something we should watch out for ?

Hi, someone earlier had mentioned the spray from the paddle wheel on the walk at the rear of deck four and it is there so when waling the deck be aware and I'm sure as they said that you d track water into your cabin if you have one of the two facing the stern. Have a great trip! We are already looking to 2014 and canceling a cruise to the south seas.

If you would like to see a LOT more photos of the boat, check out my album at: www.ExquisiteCards.Fototime.com . Scroll down towards the bottom; you will find the album there.

I also blogged about the cruise. Look under "Domestic Travel" at:

www.ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

Thank you for sharing you photos of the American Queen. DH and I are sailing on her next April. We were suppose to sail on her for our “Official” honeymoon in early October 2005 (We eloped in December 2004), but thanks to Hurricane Katrina our trip was cancelled, and we were never able to reschedule another trip before the former company went bankrupt. Because of cost and time constraints we are doing the 5-day RT New Orleans voyage.

Also enjoyed your photos from your Rhine River cruise as we are considering a Christmas Markets River Cruise in December 2014.

Thank you for sharing you photos of the American Queen. DH and I are sailing on her next April. We were suppose to sail on her for our “Official” honeymoon in early October 2005 (We eloped in December 2004), but thanks to Hurricane Katrina our trip was cancelled, and we were never able to reschedule another trip before the former company went bankrupt. Because of cost and time constraints we are doing the 5-day RT New Orleans voyage.

Also enjoyed your photos from your Rhine River cruise as we are considering a Christmas Markets River Cruise in December 2014.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my photos! DEFINITELY do a European river cruise; it's fantastic! And, I have heard nothing but great things about the Christmas Markets cruises. Enjoy!

Archived