Two days in Seattle in June: how's this plan?

radhak

We are two families, group of 8, 4 adults, 4 tweens. Our Cruise (Norwegian Sun, southbound from Alaska) ends on June 17 at Vancouver. Our flight from Seattle is June 18, 9.30pm. Gives us almost two full days in VYR/SEA.

Our plan is to take a shuttle to Vancouver airport, rent one-way cars to Seattle, hotel-stay for a night in Seattle and sight-see. The shuttle and cars will cost us around $500 in total, not counting parking (or gas, of course).

The other option is to avail of NCL's shuttle to Seattle Intl. all the way from the port (Canada Place), and either take a hotel shuttle from the airport, or take rental car (not one-way, so cheaper). The shuttle is $50 pp, so with the car rental the total goes up to $600.

Not sure if the border crossing is easier by car or in a shuttle/bus.

But apart from the cost, will a car be an asset or a liability? Is parking expensive, a hassle? Will we be better off foregoing rentals, depending on hotel shuttles and using public transport to go around the city? Or maybe leave the cars at the hotel and bus/walk to downtown?

(No, we have not picked the hotel yet - depends on what what and where we'd be visiting in Seattle).

Of course, I don't even know what we are wanting to see in Seattle, yet. Suggestions?

You will almost certainly save money by picking up the car at or near Canada Place (the cruise terminal) rather than at the airport; way less hassle too. Cars picked up at YVR have higher fees and taxes imposed than at downtown locations, plus of course you have to get from the cruise terminal to the airport in the first place (taxi charges etc.)

There are a couple of car companies with branches either at Canada Place or at the Pan Pacific next door; others are a short walk away (drivers leave passengers with bags at the terminal, get the cars and come back to pick them up.) Note some rental companies require phone bookings for these locations, rather than using the online services. Be sure to shop around - rates can be very different from one company to the next.

The border crossing is easier by car than on the bus; there can be border delays, but the 17th is a Monday, so probably not as bad as on the weekends.

With your group I think the car option works pretty well. Yes, parking in downtown Seattle is expensive (like any big city) but with a car you can stay outside of the downtown core thus saving money on the hotel; and maybe even pick a hotel with free parking (as opposed to $30 - $40 a night at downtown hotels.) The cars will also save on taxi fares to Sea-Tac, another big savings with a group your size.

In the downtown Seattle area public transportation is plentiful, so you might just park the car and hoof it if you're wanting to see the Pike Market etc. However, there are plenty of places outside the core where a car can be useful - the Museum of Flight, the Ballard Locks, West Seattle/Alki for views, and on and on; it really depends on your priorities. With one day I'd estimate you're looking at a max of $20 for car parking in the city, while the buses/monorail/light rail/trolleys are two bucks (or more) a pop, x 8 persons x how many trips... adds up.

Awesome! Did not realize (or think about it) we could get rentals at Canada place itself - and a quick check confirms it! Would save us some hassle and money, thanks!

And yes, having driven in downtown Chicago and Manhattan, Seattle should not be too daunting. Still intend to park in one place and walk around. Now I gotta sit down with the others and find out what we want to see in Seattle.

Washington drivers present a whole different set of challenges than you found in Chicago and Manhattan. They're often TOO nice! They're afraid to merge, even when you leave them an opening, they sit at four-way stops and wait for somebody else to go first, and they stop dead in total confusion at roundabouts! It's annoying, but not usually too dangerous.

If you keep the car for your sightseeing day, and you end up spending part of the day downtown, the best price I've found for parking there is the garage beneath Pacific Place mall (I heard it has something to do with a deal they made with the city to get the zoning to build it). Directions are at http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/concierge/directions . You can easily walk to the Market from there (it's about six blocks). It's only a block or so to Westlake Center (another urban mall) where you can get the Monorail to Seattle Center and the Space Needle. Underneath Westlake Center is the light rail station, and you can catch a train there down to Pioneer Square and the Underground Tour.

Another option would be to park at the Public Market Garage on http://pikeplacemarket.org/visitor_info/parking Western behind Pike Place Market. It's another expensive-but-better-than-most option, and there's an elevator that takes you right up to the skybridge into the Market.

Washington drivers present a whole different set of challenges than you found in Chicago and Manhattan. They're often TOO nice! They're afraid to merge, even when you leave them an opening, they sit at four-way stops and wait for somebody else to go first, and they stop dead in total confusion at roundabouts! It's annoying, but not usually too dangerous.

After Chicago, Manhattan and now Miami, that'd be a new experience :)!

If you keep the car for your sightseeing day, and you end up spending part of the day downtown, the best price I've found for parking there is the garage beneath Pacific Place mall (I heard it has something to do with a deal they made with the city to get the zoning to build it). Directions are at http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/concierge/directions . You can easily walk to the Market from there (it's about six blocks). It's only a block or so to Westlake Center (another urban mall) where you can get the Monorail to Seattle Center and the Space Needle. Underneath Westlake Center is the light rail station, and you can catch a train there down to Pioneer Square and the Underground Tour.

Another option would be to park at the Public Market Garage on http://pikeplacemarket.org/visitor_info/parking Western behind Pike Place Market. It's another expensive-but-better-than-most option, and there's an elevator that takes you right up to the skybridge into the Market.

Exactly the information I need! Thank You! On the overall the expense seems to be easily worth the hassle saved.

After Chicago, Manhattan and now Miami, that'd be a new experience :)!

Oh--and they camp out in the left lane on the freeway, going at or below the speed limit, for miles. On two-lane roads they ignore the many well-marked turnouts, even when they have a dozen cars stacked up behind them. I've heard people brag about it--they think they're helping to maintain the speed limit on the roads--when in fact, impeding traffic is illegal, even if those other cars are speeding!

I have lived here almost 20 years, and I love it. It's home now. But I have not and never will become a Washington driver!! :D

Oh--and they camp out in the left lane on the freeway, going at or below the speed limit, for miles. On two-lane roads they ignore the many well-marked turnouts, even when they have a dozen cars stacked up behind them. I've heard people brag about it--they think they're helping to maintain the speed limit on the roads--when in fact, impeding traffic is illegal, even if those other cars are speeding!

I have lived here almost 20 years, and I love it. It's home now. But I have not and never will become a Washington driver!! :D

There are also enough transplant @$$**** drivers from other places to keep things interesting. :eek:

We are doing the Boeing tour, pike market, and te space needle when we are there in June as well.

We are also staying In at the Homewood Suites on western ave. there are 6 of us and this was out best option for space and amenities.

Well, my daughter is insisting we visit Mt Rainier, because "it's the most dangerous volcano of N.America" :rolleyes:, so we might settle for a hotel south of the airport, visit the volcano on Monday and drop into downtown the next morning. Or we could reverse that - downtown Monday, volcano Tuesday. Depends on how the group feels after the cruise and how much time we take getting to Seattle.

The Space Needle looks imposing, but I'm more interested in photographing it than climbing it :). Have to find out the best spot to do that.

I had not known of the Boeing tour before - thanks for the info. Have filed it away for a possible destination.

Well, my daughter is insisting we visit Mt Rainier, because "it's the most dangerous volcano of N.America" :rolleyes:, so we might settle for a hotel south of the airport, visit the volcano on Monday and drop into downtown the next morning. Or we could reverse that - downtown Monday, volcano Tuesday. Depends on how the group feels after the cruise and how much time we take getting to Seattle.

The Space Needle looks imposing, but I'm more interested in photographing it than climbing it :). Have to find out the best spot to do that.

I had not known of the Boeing tour before - thanks for the info. Have filed it away for a possible destination.

Not sure where she heard that. Rainier could potentially be dangerous, but I'm sure there are more dangerous ones in N. America. It's definitely beautiful and imposing. I named my son after the mountain. :cool: However, as local volcanoes go, Mt. St. Helens is probably more interesting.

Everyone feels like they have to go to the Space Needle because it's the well known Seattle landmark. I've lived in the area for over 20 years and I've never been up it. Don't feel obligated just because everyone else does it. ;)

Not sure where she heard that. Rainier could potentially be dangerous, but I'm sure there are more dangerous ones in N. America. It's definitely beautiful and imposing. I named my son after the mountain. :cool: However, as local volcanoes go, Mt. St. Helens is probably more interesting.

Everyone feels like they have to go to the Space Needle because it's the well known Seattle landmark. I've lived in the area for over 20 years and I've never been up it. Don't feel obligated just because everyone else does it. ;)

She gets her info from solid, authentic, scientific sources, like the wikipedia :D! But to be fair, it is a designated Decade Volcano.

You are right - going up Space Needle may not be as much fun as looking at it!

Actually it was the USGS that said Rainier is one of the most dangerous volcanoes. It has to do with its history of eruptions and lahar events, and also with the fact that there's so much population in harm's way in case of a large eruption. Via con dios Puyallup, hasta la bye-bye Port of Tacoma, etc.

One or two notes - in June there will likely still be a fair amount of snow on the ground at the visitor centers on the mountain. As of today there's still 11 1/2 feet on the ground at Paradise. It's not uncommon for there to be 6-8+ feet still around on July 1.

The rule of thumb for Rainier is that if you can see it from Seattle/Tacoma/airport, go for it, otherwise be advised that you're more than likely to encounter fog and cloud at altitude, making the whole 2 1/2 hour schlep (each way) of doubtful value. Unfortunately, this region has a problem with "June gloom" similar to southern California, i.e. the saying goes that July 5 is the first day of summer. So if you're going to plan on Rainier I'd definitely recommend having a Plan B in your pocket.

But not to worry, if you want a day trip out of Seattle, there are many available, all quite wonderful.

One or two notes - in June there will likely still be a fair amount of snow on the ground at the visitor centers on the mountain. As of today there's still 11 1/2 feet on the ground at Paradise. It's not uncommon for there to be 6-8+ feet still around on July 1.

The rule of thumb for Rainier is that if you can see it from Seattle/Tacoma/airport, go for it, otherwise be advised that you're more than likely to encounter fog and cloud at altitude, making the whole 2 1/2 hour schlep (each way) of doubtful value.

Good to know that. Maybe we'll get close enough to take some pictures with the volcano in the back (hoping for a clear shot, of course!).

But not to worry, if you want a day trip out of Seattle, there are many available, all quite wonderful.

Yeah, looks like we need a plan B of some sort...

There are some interesting perspectives of the Space Needle from the Chihuly Garden & Glass exhibit at the Seattle Center. Also, Kerry Park has one of the best views of the Space Needle, downtown and Elliott Bay.

I didn’t know that Mt. Rainier is one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the US. I would think that Mt. St. Helens would be on the top of the list. If you do decide to go up to Mt. Rainier and have someone in your group who is over over 62 years of age get the “Senior Pass” http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm It’ll cost you $10 at the entrance gate. We aren’t big fans of the Pike Street market, we think it is overrated and a crowed tourist trap. We were just at new “Museum of History and Industry” http://www.mohai.org/ MOHI for short. If your into cars Tacoma has the “Lemay – America’s Auto Museum” http://www.lemaymuseum.org/ Tacoma is about 35 miles South of Seattle on I-5. If you can’t find something to do in the Seattle area you’d better stay home, because there are tons of things to do here

I didn’t know that Mt. Rainier is one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the US. I would think that Mt. St. Helens would be on the top of the list. If you do decide to go up to Mt. Rainier and have someone in your group who is over over 62 years of age get the “Senior Pass” http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm It’ll cost you $10 at the entrance gate. We aren’t big fans of the Pike Street market, we think it is overrated and a crowed tourist trap. We were just at new “Museum of History and Industry” http://www.mohai.org/ MOHI for short. If your into cars Tacoma has the “Lemay – America’s Auto Museum” http://www.lemaymuseum.org/ Tacoma is about 35 miles South of Seattle on I-5. If you can’t find something to do in the Seattle area you’d better stay home, because there are tons of things to do here

The reason Mount Rainier is so dangerous is that there are so many people living within range of a volcanic event there. Mount St. Helens, which is much more isolated and remote, killed 57 people when it blew in 1980--but Rainier could kill thousands.

Geologists don't expect Rainier to blow its top like Mount St. Helens did. In the forseeable future, it's much more likely to produce lahars, or flows of rocks, mud, water, and other debris. A small venting of hot gas or even small amounts of lava could melt snow and start a landslide that rolls down the mountain, picks up speed and mass, and takes out whole towns. There is evidence that long-ago lahars flowed all the way to the Sound--right through what is now Tacoma! And, there is evidence that lahars have started in the past without any volcanic help. If you want to read more... http://www.pbs.org/wnet/savageplanet/01volcano/03/indexmid.html

The good news is that scientists say the odds of a lahar or other volcanic disaster on or around Mount Rainier are very, very small. Personally, I have no problem taking the risk and visiting the mountain! It's beautiful, and well worth the drive.

And as far as Pike Place Market goes...I wasn't that knocked out on my first visit, either. But when I gave myself time to explore it, check out all the weird nooks and odd vendors, learn about the history of the place...I fell in love. I can understand now why they call it the heart of Seattle. And these days, I don't visit as a tourist--I shop there because it's the best place to buy things I can't get anywhere else. Of course, it helps that I live close enough to visit it often in the off season. As much as I love all our summer visitors, I'll admit, I don't go to the Market nearly as much when there are so darn many of you there! But I certainly wouldn't call the Market a "tourist trap," and overrated is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

My recommendations about the Market in the summer are 1) go early! There are good places for breakfast as early as 7 am, and most of the vendors are open by 9 am. The worst of the hordes descend later in the day, so you can be in and out before a lot of them arrive; and 2) Don't just do the shops along Pike Place and the Main Arcade. Get back in the odd corners, and down below the Main Arcade, where a lot of visitors never go. And be on the lookout for some of the Market's ghosts!

We are two families, group of 8, 4 adults, 4 tweens. Our Cruise (Norwegian Sun, southbound from Alaska) ends on June 17 at Vancouver. Our flight from Seattle is June 18, 9.30pm. Gives us almost two full days in VYR/SEA.

Our plan is to take a shuttle to Vancouver airport, rent one-way cars to Seattle, hotel-stay for a night in Seattle and sight-see. The shuttle and cars will cost us around $500 in total, not counting parking (or gas, of course).

The other option is to avail of NCL's shuttle to Seattle Intl. all the way from the port (Canada Place), and either take a hotel shuttle from the airport, or take rental car (not one-way, so cheaper). The shuttle is $50 pp, so with the car rental the total goes up to $600.

Not sure if the border crossing is easier by car or in a shuttle/bus.

But apart from the cost, will a car be an asset or a liability? Is parking expensive, a hassle? Will we be better off foregoing rentals, depending on hotel shuttles and using public transport to go around the city? Or maybe leave the cars at the hotel and bus/walk to downtown?

(No, we have not picked the hotel yet - depends on what what and where we'd be visiting in Seattle).

Of course, I don't even know what we are wanting to see in Seattle, yet. Suggestions?

We rented a car in Vancouver and drove to Seattle the car rental was about 150.00 for 3 days. When I received my statement from the credit card it was almost 500.00 I called right away and was told these are added on expenses because of Canadian Laws. I was unable to fight this so please be cautious when renting a car outside if the US.

We rented a car in Vancouver and drove to Seattle the car rental was about 150.00 for 3 days. When I received my statement from the credit card it was almost 500.00 I called right away and was told these are added on expenses because of Canadian Laws. I was unable to fight this so please be cautious when renting a car outside if the US.

True that - I see a ton of Canadian taxes on the charges. Who do did you rent with?

Unless I'm mistaken, Avis, Budget et al have to give me a final figure for my rental, and that's all I'll pay. I know local agencies are good at the bait-and-switch.

Currently I got an intermediate car at Avis from Vancouver to Seattle for $102 a day (one way), net after all taxes and surcharges. I checked by changing the destination - if I don't cross the border, that same car would cost me $30.

True that - I see a ton of Canadian taxes on the charges. Who do did you rent with?

Unless I'm mistaken, Avis, Budget et al have to give me a final figure for my rental, and that's all I'll pay. I know local agencies are good at the bait-and-switch.

Currently I got an intermediate car at Avis from Vancouver to Seattle for $102 a day (one way), net after all taxes and surcharges. I checked by changing the destination - if I don't cross the border, that same car would cost me $30.

I think it was Avis.

Archived