Canadian Border Patrol Problems

If it was over 15 years ago this should not have happened. Canadian law states you are ok and considered rehabilitated if no further arrests after 10 years

I would be interested in knowing your source for such a statement. :rolleyes:

If it was over 15 years ago this should not have happened. Canadian law states you are ok and considered rehabilitated if no further arrests after 10 years

Wouldn't that only be after the appropriate forms were filed, fees paid, and official status of rehabilitation been granted?

I did a rehabilitation for a friend once- I'm a lawyer and don't do that kind of law generally, but being on the border all of my friends have done or two for a client here or there- and it was the biggest PITA imaginable. We finally won but it took closer to two years. As posters have said, Canada is not being punitive, they are just saying "no thanks" and refusing entry.

For those Canadians who have chimed in (and others) to say that Canada takes criminal activity seriously, remember that a plea to a DUI can involve drinking three beers in an hour and driving. Just google the amounts per weight of driver and time of imbibing. Personally I gave it all up 14 years ago, thank you God ;), and embraced the Fru Fru Lattes :rolleyes:, but just remember that if you go out to dinner and drink a cocktail and two glasses of wine it could be you who is denied entry into Canada a decade later, eh? So moral judgements are a bit of a reach....

I did a rehabilitation for a friend once- I'm a lawyer and don't do that kind of law generally, but being on the border all of my friends have done or two for a client here or there- and it was the biggest PITA imaginable. We finally won but it took closer to two years. As posters have said, Canada is not being punitive, they are just saying "no thanks" and refusing entry.

For those Canadians who have chimed in (and others) to say that Canada takes criminal activity seriously, remember that a plea to a DUI can involve drinking three beers in an hour and driving. Just google the amounts per weight of driver and time of imbibing. Personally I gave it all up 14 years ago, thank you God ;), and embraced the Fru Fru Lattes :rolleyes:, but just remember that if you go out to dinner and drink a cocktail and two glasses of wine it could be you who is denied entry into Canada a decade later, eh? So moral judgements are a bit of a reach....

I don`t think anyone is making moral judgements. Just saying our law is the law..... it is what it is. The same as when we go south and have to comply with US laws and restrictions.

Really? I didn't know that. Are you sure?

I don`t think anyone is making moral judgements. Just saying our law is the law..... it is what it is. The same as when we go south and have to comply with US laws and restrictions.

Got it. Happy Victoria Day! The bridges will be a mess so I will stay home, but you can bet I will be drinking my Timmy Ho's ;). Love my neighbors to the north!!!

I know in Ontario, there are huge designated driver programs and advertising that no drinking while driving is acceptable. If I have anything to drink, I don't drive.

I, too, do not drink anymore.

We can even call certain taxi companies to get a free ride home if you have been drinking and live in a city.

There are road checks for drinking and it is just not worth taking the chance.

Of course it still happens, but it is like not wearing a seat belt, it is getting more and more socially unacceptable to do.

But then again, we are not allowed to carry guns either.....

This is a little perplexing. I am going to call both the American and Canadian Border Authorities Monday to try to get some clarification.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of a Canadian taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale having been detained at FLL when arriving from Canada on his way to the port because of a prior DUI or other criminal offense which has been resolved? It is very difficult for me to believe this happens. I understand that if someone has an arrest warrant or is wanted for a crime it would (and should) happen, but if you had an old arrest or a conviction for which you had paid your debt to society it doesn't seem likely to be prevented from joining your cruise.

In the meantime, three hours or so from now, we'll see how the Red Wings fare against the Blackhawks. If game one was any indication, it may not be too well.

National TV here in the states, NBC. I don't know about Canadian coverage since the Leafs and Canadians have finished their season and are probably playing golf somewhere!:D

..................National TV here in the states, NBC. I don't know about Canadian coverage since the Leafs and Canadians have finished their season and are probably playing golf somewhere!:D

You bet there's SCP coverage in Canada! Besides, the Sens are still in it

You bet there's SCP coverage in Canada! Besides, the Sens are still in it

Sens??? Oh yeah, I forgot about them. Seems the Leafs and Habs are the only ones I think of since I'm a product of the "original six" era!

Leafs, Habs, Bruins, Rangers, Wings, and Blackhawks. I guess they've added a few more teams since then eh?:D

My skates are still sharp, it's my mind that has gotten dull!

This is a little perplexing. I am going to call both the American and Canadian Border Authorities Monday to try to get some clarification.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of a Canadian taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale having been detained at FLL when arriving from Canada on his way to the port because of a prior DUI or other criminal offense which has been resolved? It is very difficult for me to believe this happens. I understand that if someone has an arrest warrant or is wanted for a crime it would (and should) happen, but if you had an old arrest or a conviction for which you had paid your debt to society it doesn't seem likely to be prevented from joining your cruise.

In the meantime, three hours or so from now, we'll see how the Red Wings fare against the Blackhawks. If game one was any indication, it may not be too well.

National TV here in the states, NBC. I don't know about Canadian coverage since the Leafs and Canadians have finished their season and are probably playing golf somewhere!:D

The person would most likely be detained before FLL. That would be done at the point of entry into the US. When I flew from Ottawa to Atlanta in May of last year, US C&BP was set up inside the airport at Ottawa and I was cleared there. If there was a problem, the person would not have been able to leave Ottawa. Otherwise, it would be at the first stop in the US.

Wow, US Customs and Border agency set up in a Canadian port!?

That's the first time I ever heard of that.

So is that a reciprocal thing? I mean if I plan to fly to Toronto from Chicago can I expect to go through Canadian Border agents in O'Hare Airport before getting on the plane?

I thought you are only expected to go through at the country you land at.

This really doesn't make sense to me. If it was happening wouldn't every country have to screen passengers at every other countries airports?

I've cleared US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver and Montreal, and that was years ago, so it's not a new thing.

It's not common coming to the US from other countries, though.

So is that a reciprocal thing? I mean if I plan to fly to Toronto from Chicago can I expect to go through Canadian Border agents in O'Hare Airport before getting on the plane?

This really doesn't make sense to me. If it was happening wouldn't every country have to screen passengers at every other countries airports?

Sadly, no, you can't pre-clear coming to Canada from the US, as far as I know. So you (along with 100s of others on YOUR plane, along with 100s of others from OTHER planes) will get puked out into a large hall, with a looooooooong snaking line, and will have to wait your turn to be processed as you enter Canada.

edited to add: By the time I (a Canadian) get done waiting for the Canadian officials and dealing with the Canadian officials, any relaxation and rest I got on vacation is usually a very faint memory. Nothing like a really good long line to suck the energy from a day.

Yes, when flying to the US we clear US Customs at YVR. And if you board a ship in Vancouver it is US Customs you go through there, and Canadian when you return.

It seems to me, here on Vancouver Island, we have US checks in the Victoria Inner Harbour for the ferry to Port Angeles, and also in Sydney for the ferry to the US mainland - I think it has always been that way. Isn't that how the US Customs lady caught the guy that was planning to bomb the Olympics in LA?

Archived