“Blanket visas”- what’s that???What do they look like? How do they work? Please help!

I’m currently in process of booking an individual itinerary with one of St. Petersburg companies. Natalia (a guide??? manager???) I’m in correspondence with explained that they don’t need any prepayment (I was absolutely ready to prepay) and the only thing I have to do is to send them our passport data. I did. She e-mailed me back sending something she called “blanket visas” – it actually doesn’t look like a real document!!! They don’t have any passport info; they actually don’t have anything except the logo of the company. I can’t believe this will work! When I asked Natalia she simply answered – please don’t worry. It’s my first cruise and I really don’t know how it works. What happens if the documents don’t work with the Russian authorities???? It will be too late to book with the ship. What should such visas look like???? Please help!!!! There is still enough time to cancel my reservation with the Best Guides and to sign up for the ship tours.

Thank you in advance.

Jess

I’m currently in process of booking an individual itinerary with one of St. Petersburg companies. Natalia (a guide??? manager???) I’m in correspondence with explained that they don’t need any prepayment (I was absolutely ready to prepay) and the only thing I have to do is to send them our passport data. I did. She e-mailed me back sending something she called “blanket visas” – it actually doesn’t look like a real document!!! They don’t have any passport info; they actually don’t have anything except the logo of the company. I can’t believe this will work! When I asked Natalia she simply answered – please don’t worry. It’s my first cruise and I really don’t know how it works. What happens if the documents don’t work with the Russian authorities???? It will be too late to book with the ship. What should such visas look like???? Please help!!!! There is still enough time to cancel my reservation with the Best Guides and to sign up for the ship tours.

Thank you in advance.

Jess

What exactly do you call "blanket visas"? Is it the same as tour tickets?

I don’t know if it’s the same or not. May be yes but the only info they have: our names, the name of the ship, dates and time (excursion begins at… and excursion ends at…). They also have the name of the company and the logo, but that’s all. Any way they don’t look like real visas. I will try to attach a scan… not sure I’m able to do it….

1015500399_tourtickets_BestGuides-1.jpg.8ffeb479e5721470c1ec4564175ab04e.jpg

I advise you to start at this page:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. You may go ashore without a visa during port calls, but only if you are with an organized tour and accompanied at all times by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities. Cruise ship and ferry lines offer shore tours that meet these requirements. If you want to do sightseeing on your own, you must have a visa.

I should think the document you received is meant to show the accredited status of the company.

Visas for the Russian Federation can be applied on-line at

https://visa.kdmid.ru/PetitionChoice.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Id say that you should trust these people. I did a landbased do-it-yourself trip to St Petersburg last summer. Rented an aparment online etc. I got all the help I needed, VIP treatment everywhere I went. They are professionals, and are doing this for a living. Besides, there is no gain for them, not getting you ashore, as you havent paid anything yet.

As long as the tour guide is licensed under the Russian Authorities, it is fine. We will be touring with a private tour company, Alla Tours, which is authorized. All we have are the same type of tickets you attached. Our cruise departs in 10 days and we have an overnight stop in SPB so are registered for her 2 day Grand Tour. Good luck!

Dolfans from Miami

I think there is a little confusion about how a so-called "blanket visa" works in St. Petersburg.

The tour company is NOT issuing a visa to YOU. They are basically vouching to the authorities that you are touring with them and will be included in THEIR blanket visa while you are ashore in Russia.

The information they sent to you to show the authorities is all you need as long as you are dealing with an accredited company that is allowed to do this.

Not knowing who "Natalia" is, I won't vouch for the document you were sent.

Knowing what company she works for means a whole lot more to those of us who frequent this message board. If it came from one of the big companies, then it's probably exactly what you need.

Several folks from CC have used Best Guides and were happy with the service. Any of the several tour agencies that folks have used in the past with success are worthwhile. If it a company that "nobody has ever heard of", I would choose another.

Not knowing who "Natalia" is, I won't vouch for the document you were sent.

Knowing what company she works for means a whole lot more to those of us who frequent this message board. If it came from one of the big companies, then it's probably exactly what you need.

Natalia works for the Best Guides. I've found them on this forum. They are mentioned in several threads. More over I've seen their ads here. I very much hope CruiseCritic admin checks the companies they advertise. Is that right?

Now when I’ve got several replies from those who already used the Best Guides I really feel much better. Thank you all so much!!!

Jess :)

Id say that you should trust these people. I did a landbased do-it-yourself trip to St Petersburg last summer. Rented an aparment online etc. I got all the help I needed, VIP treatment everywhere I went. They are professionals, and are doing this for a living. Besides, there is no gain for them, not getting you ashore, as you havent paid anything yet.

Thank you Ljuggren! Thank you so much! Do you remember the name of your guide? If you like him/her so much I probably will ask for the same guide. Hope it works. Thanks. Jess :)

Natalia works for the Best Guides. I've found them on this forum. They are mentioned in several threads. More over I've seen their ads here. I very much hope CruiseCritic admin checks the companies they advertise. Is that right?

Now when I’ve got several replies from those who already used the Best Guides I really feel much better. Thank you all so much!!!

Jess :)

From Best Guides? Nothing to worry about.

It sounds like everything has been sorted out, but just for additional confirmation, we booked with sbp-tours for this summer and got a similar ticket, but there was more infor in the email that was sent with the Tour Ticket. Here's a portion of the email, which confirms that the ticket shouldn't have your passport info (or, rather, that ours didn't, but I'm guessing yours is similar):

Thank you for your submitting your passport data. Please read this email carefully and thoroughly. It contains important information for disembarking in Russia.

Your Tour Ticket: What should it say? Tour Tickets are attached to the bottom of this email.

1. Please check the names carefully. They must be written exactly as they appear on your passport.

2. Only your name, the ship's name, and dates in the city should appear on your Tour Ticket.

3. Other information such as passport number, date of birth, citizenship, is sent directly to Port Aurthorities who will check this information against your passport and Tour Ticket when you arrive.

4. **Please Note** The start and end times may be posted as earlier/later than your actual tour. These times are the same on every SPB-Tours Tour Ticket for your convenience, should you decide to add evening plans to your itinerary after your initial booking. Please only refer to your reservation confirmation for your actual tour start and end times.

5. Please print your tour tickets at home once you have checked that the information is correct.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DISEMBARKATION IN ST. PETERSBURG

Disembarkation Documents: What do you need to go ashore?

1. Tour Ticket (printed at home)

2. Passport

3. Immigration Card: These will be available onboard. Please fill it out on the ship before you go through Russian Immigration

4. Reservation Confirmation (printed at home): This is your contract and price agreement with us.

[Then it went on to give more info about Disembarking....]

Thank you Ljuggren! Thank you so much! Do you remember the name of your guide? If you like him/her so much I probably will ask for the same guide. Hope it works. Thanks. Jess :)

I used http://arendaservice.com/tours/alltours.php to rent an apartment, to get transfer from the airport etc - everthing was dealt with in a very professional manner. Check the website out and contact Sviatoslav sokushner@gmail.com I am confident that he can provide everything that you need

You will need your tour ticket from the tour operator. This shows that you are booked with a tour operator so don't need a visa. You will also need to fill out the landing card (or migration card or whatever they call it). The ship will give these to you a day or so in advance. We had a terrible time getting everybody off the ship the first day in SP and I think it was because a lot of people didn't have their tour tickets and a lot of people didn't fill out the cards. The authorities sent them back to their cabins to get them.

Archived