Acme Oyster House

Nadersmom

I tossed Mena's out for breakfast.

I imagine Brennan's for Breakfast would be outside the budget, too, but no worries, they closed. The family feud continues.

The Camellia Grill in the French Quarter is a good bargain and good food, Especially for breakfast.

The Camellia Grill in the French Quarter is a good bargain and good food, Especially for breakfast.

I think this is my first choice for breakfast. It sounds like an experience and it doesn't appear to be too far away from the Drury Inn, where we will be staying.

So is there anywhere I can find a copy of Drago's menu and pricing? I pull up the website, but cannot really move around in it much. Nothing shows for the menu or anything. It's like the full web page doesn't come up or something. I've tried multiple times on different days. Just can't figure it out :confused:

Can anyone tell me where to look? or send me a link? Have already done Acme. We'll have two dinners while in N.O. and one breakfast (which I think I've narrowed down to Camellia Grill)

I really want to try Katies, but Deanies is still a possibility. I want to try Drago's SO BADLY. but I want to make sure the menu will be accommodating to the pickier eaters in the group.

This link should take you to Dragos menu. I don't know why you are having trouble with their web site. It works great for me.

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dragos_Menu_2013.pdf

Yep, that link worked just fine. Thanks so much! Maybe it wont come up on my work computer for some reason.

I'd really love to try it. But looks like the short ribs or kabobs are the only possibilty for my picky hubby's pallet. Gonna try and convince him with the whole "comeon, it's New Orleans, you'll only get to experience it a few times in life" line and see where it gets me ;)

So is there anywhere I can find a copy of Drago's menu and pricing? I pull up the website, but cannot really move around in it much. Nothing shows for the menu or anything. It's like the full web page doesn't come up or something. I've tried multiple times on different days. Just can't figure it out :confused:

Can anyone tell me where to look? or send me a link? Have already done Acme. We'll have two dinners while in N.O. and one breakfast (which I think I've narrowed down to Camellia Grill)

I really want to try Katies, but Deanies is still a possibility. I want to try Drago's SO BADLY. but I want to make sure the menu will be accommodating to the pickier eaters in the group.

Felix Oyster House is just across the street from Acme and just as good or some say better.

Yep, that link worked just fine. Thanks so much! Maybe it wont come up on my work computer for some reason.

I'd really love to try it. But looks like the short ribs or kabobs are the only possibilty for my picky hubby's pallet. Gonna try and convince him with the whole "comeon, it's New Orleans, you'll only get to experience it a few times in life" line and see where it gets me ;)

A pretty good restaurant in New Orleans is Lukes at 333 St. Charles Ave 540-378-2840

It is a John Besh Restaurant- It was very good food and not expensive. My daughter lives in River Ridge on the outskirts of NO and she is the one that put us on to it.

A pretty good restaurant in New Orleans is Lukes at 333 St. Charles Ave 540-378-2840

It is a John Besh Restaurant- It was very good food and not expensive. My daughter lives in River Ridge on the outskirts of NO and she is the one that put us on to it.

I'll check on that one as well. Thanks so much Scapel!! Do you know if they are kid friendly?

I'll check on that one as well. Thanks so much Scapel!! Do you know if they are kid friendly?

Probably is, but you can ask when you call for a reservation. It has poor acoustics and seemed a little loud. We ate kind of in the front when we got there. Excellent food. Check out the John Besh New Orleans restaurants. I think he may have some more. This was relatively new about one year ago.

I have been here and the food is to die for, but I would not call it kid friendly. Will they let you bring your kids in? Sure, but that doesn't mean that your kids would be happy being there. Restaurant Luke is a foodie experience, so if you have kids with a mature pallate then go for it.

http://www.lukeneworleans.com/sites/default/files/pdf/menus/luke_dinner_menu.pdf

I have been here and the food is to die for, but I would not call it kid friendly. Will they let you bring your kids in? Sure, but that doesn't mean that your kids would be happy being there. Restaurant Luke is a foodie experience, so if you have kids with a mature pallate then go for it.

http://www.lukeneworleans.com/sites/default/files/pdf/menus/luke_dinner_menu.pdf

Thanks Good to know LOL a mature palate and my son are at two totally opposite ends of the food spectrum. So it sounds like Luke's is out.

My husband is just as bad. I seem to be the only foodie in the group. I'm sure DH is already well aware that I will have the restaurant options reviewed and chosen before we even hit N.O. ;)

Most of the places I'd love to try I'll never get to go to as I am the only one that would be be willing to indulge in something that has any kind of sauce or that isn't a hamburger or steak.

I'm still hung up on trying Katie's on Sat. evening. Then Camellia Grill for breakfast on Sunday and undecided for Sunday dinner. Deanies, Felix Oyster Bar, Ralph & Kacoos. (Possibly Dragos if I can convince them, though it's doubtful.) Those so are are the ones that would have something appealing for the picky eaters in the group and yet give me some nice options to try

Probably is, but you can ask when you call for a reservation. It has poor acoustics and seemed a little loud. We ate kind of in the front when we got there. Excellent food. Check out the John Besh New Orleans restaurants. I think he may have some more. This was relatively new about one year ago.

We have one in San Antonio ... haven't tried it, though. But my friends that have say it's fabulous!

• 1 month later...

So I contacted Katies to see what was on their kids menu. Got a response from them very quickly with a copy of the menu and the promise that they would/could do simple dishes like pasta with butter only if need be.

Very friendly, prompt and helpful responses from them. That alone makes me me more certain this is where we want to try for our first night. I'm so psyched about trying the Boudreaux pizza that I don't even care if no one else at the table eats it but me :D

Thanks again Bayou Boy for the suggestion.

Wanted to try Joey K's on Sunday for dinner, but I see they are closed on Sundays, so we may still get to try Deanies.

So I contacted Katies to see what was on their kids menu. Got a response from them very quickly with a copy of the menu and the promise that they would/could do simple dishes like pasta with butter only if need be.

Very friendly, prompt and helpful responses from them. That alone makes me me more certain this is where we want to try for our first night. I'm so psyched about trying the Boudreaux pizza that I don't even care if no one else at the table eats it but me :D

Thanks again Bayou Boy for the suggestion.

Wanted to try Joey K's on Sunday for dinner, but I see they are closed on Sundays, so we may still get to try Deanies.

Bayou Boy told you so!

Please email me @ tmont1951@yahoo.com

LOL You certainly did! And I offer many many thanks to you. I watch Diners Drive Ins and Dives all the time and didn't connect the two until you said the name.

Then I pulled up a video of them and that food and .....SOLD! :D

Crawfish beignet, Boudreaux pizza, crab cakes......decisions - decisions

Just as an FYI Felix's Oyster House shows a kids menu as well. I was looking into Acme and came across a recommendation for Felix's. There was grilled cheese, chicken fingers as well as fried shrimp. I'm not sure which one we will visit as my kids don't eat off the kid's menu.

If anyone wants to compare the bread puddings for me that will be a deciding factor :D

The bread pudding at Acme was outstanding, and it is served with ice cream...this is what DH ordered. OMG.

And while that may have been divine ... I had the pecan cobbler, which was basically a pecan pie served hot in a martini glass with a big scoop of ice cream and drizzled with caramel. I quit smoking 6 years ago and I almost needed a cigarette after that. lol

We didn't go to Felix's though it was across the road. I do have a cool picture of it, if I can figure out how to post it from my phone. :)

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

Just as an FYI Felix's Oyster House shows a kids menu as well. I was looking into Acme and came across a recommendation for Felix's. There was grilled cheese, chicken fingers as well as fried shrimp. I'm not sure which one we will visit as my kids don't eat off the kid's menu.

If anyone wants to compare the bread puddings for me that will be a deciding factor :D

Thanks trvlgirlmq. We actually just discussed that yesterday. I told my fellow cruisers who wanted to go to Acme that there was not a kids menu but that there was one at Felix's across the street and apparently you won't find a line there like you do at Acme.

They are game so looks like Sunday night is Felix Oyster Bar!!

But Saturday night we head to Katies! I can not wait!!!

Funny you bring up bread pudding. I had never had bread pudding before. Then last year I had the bitter and blanc on the cruise, which I guess is essentially bread pudding. I don't normally eat dessert, but that stuff was AMAZING! So, if that's what good bread pudding tastes like, then I'm with you! I'm all in for trying it. Truth be told I hear a lot about the bread puddings on various reviews for places in N.O.

The bread pudding at Acme was outstanding, and it is served with ice cream...this is what DH ordered. OMG.

And while that may have been divine ... I had the pecan cobbler, which was basically a pecan pie served hot in a martini glass with a big scoop of ice cream and drizzled with caramel. I quit smoking 6 years ago and I almost needed a cigarette after that. lol

We didn't go to Felix's though it was across the road. I do have a cool picture of it, if I can figure out how to post it from my phone. :)

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

Those look awesome! Making me so hungry :D

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so we're back from our September cruise and here's where we ended up going.

Saturday night.....As soon as we got to town we hopped on the streetcar ane went up to Katies. A bit of a snafu, if you will, on the way there. We got onto the streetcar and about 2 minutes later a few more people got on. Then, we hear an older gentleman up front just arguing up a storm with the driver. Seems he wanted to know if the driver was a christian, and the driver didn't feel too inclined to answer him. So an argument, rather one sided, began. And went on......and on.....and on.......until finally the driver got angry, stopped the streetcar and proceeded to sit in a bench and wait for the older gentleman to quit harassing him. Then others got mad because it was hotter than all getout and we are just sitting there while this man goes on and on about how all he asked was if the driver was a christian and he had every right to ask the question. Well then other people got upset and then he started arguing with other people as well. We sat there about 10 minutes before he finally stopped. Poor fella just didn't have both oars in the water if ya know what I'm saying. So, off we went. We got there around 5pm so we got right in. Not a real big place but very cozy. Service was good. Food was awesome! The crawfish beignet was SO good. And filling! We had the Boudreaux pizza and it was really good also.

Walked a few blocks up as suggested by Bayou Boy to that little Italian Ice Cream shop and it too was wonderful.

Breakfast was at the Ruby Slipper. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT Would return in a heartbeat. Was very busy by 8:30 already. We got seats at the bar. I had a bloody mary that was outstanding. And very, very strong :eek: LOL Had I had another, which I would have loved, they would have had to carry me out of there. The eggs blackstone was awesome. DH had an omelette which he claims was very good. He even tried my eggs blackstone and liked it until he realized the eggs were poached, not fried completely hard and then his "eeeuuwww I'm not eating that, its not normal" frame of mind kicked in. :rolleyes:

Dinner Sunday night was Felix's Oyster House. Now, I hear so many people say that Felix's is just as good if not better than Acme Oyster House and theres usually no wait. This is just one gal's opinion, but I like Acme Oyster House better. True, no wait at Felix's, and the line at Acme was half a block long. And the service was fine. But I feel we got more food and better tasting food at Acme. Acme's shrimp po boy had so much shrimp it wouldnt stay on the sandwich. My po boy at Felix's had, and I kid you not, 6 pcs of shrimp. SIX. But again, just my opinion. Was by no means bad food. I just found it lacking compared to our meal last year at Acme's.

So if I can suggest anything, it would be Katies, and Ruby Slipper. I even lean more towards Ruby Slipper, but honestly, I'm a breakfast kind of gal so that may be why.

Beth, Thanks for the report on Katies, Ruby Slipper and Bayou boy. I am from Louisiana and eat around NO some, but have not even heard of Katies or Ruby Slipper. Of course any restaurant that stays open in NO as long as these has to be good because of the competition for foodies in NO.

Thanks again

Dr.JOe

Beth, Thanks for the report on Katies, Ruby Slipper and Bayou boy. I am from Louisiana and eat around NO some, but have not even heard of Katies or Ruby Slipper. Of course any restaurant that stays open in NO as long as these has to be good because of the competition for foodies in NO.

Thanks again

Dr.JOe

You're very welcome. Bayou Boy was a great help in his suggestion for Katies as well as the Italian ice cream parlor. Would have never even remembered Katies had he not metioned it to me.

Archived