Military Rate Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out some information for a friend who was drafted into the military and sent to Vietnam. To qualify for the military rate, RCCL's website says "Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in." His DD214 lists his service at 1 year 9 months and 3 days with 1 year and 8 days under "foreign and/or sea service". I'm trying to find out if there's any additional documentation needed to prove 6 months active war zone. I spoke with an agent at RCCL who said there isn't anything more needed than the DD214 and just tell them it was in a combat zone, they won't pursue it further. I'm sceptical in general and just want to make sure everything is in order so there won't be any problems and check in.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out some information for a friend who was drafted into the military and sent to Vietnam. To qualify for the military rate, RCCL's website says "Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in." His DD214 lists his service at 1 year 9 months and 3 days with 1 year and 8 days under "foreign and/or sea service". I'm trying to find out if there's any additional documentation needed to prove 6 months active war zone. I spoke with an agent at RCCL who said there isn't anything more needed than the DD214 and just tell them it was in a combat zone, they won't pursue it further. I'm sceptical in general and just want to make sure everything is in order so there won't be any problems and check in.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Shawn

A DD214 is all that is needed. And they probably won't even ask to see it. My husband has taken his DD214 iand has yet to show it.

Also the miltary rate has to be offered for your cruise, it's not an automatic discount for all cruises. I have received one for a cruise so far and look everyday for one to pop up on my current bookings but nothing thus far.

Also for any military retirees you will just need to bring you retired military ID card and not your DD214.

My DD214 says in box 18, Remarks: "Served in a designated imminent danger pay area" followed by the location and dates. No idea if that would be on a Vietnam-era 214 though.

Like others have said, I haven't been asked to show it. In the unlikely event they do ask to see it, I expect the foreign service will be enough to satisfy them, even though foreign service isn't necessarily "active war zone." I'm pretty sure their policy would be to give the veteran the benefit of the doubt.

My situation was similar. I received an early-out when the Armed Forces were downsizing in Vietnam in 1970, so I didn't have a full two years of active duty. But I was in the war zone for 10 months. My DD214 did not state amount of time in Vietnam, but it did list my Vietnam Campaign and Vietnam Service medals. Did your friend receive a campaign medal listed on the DD214 that would confirm time in a war zone?

Second, after gathering all the information to bring to boarding Enchantment in Baltimore, it was not requested at check-in.

At my age, maybe I just look like I have been in a war zone!:)

My DD214 says in box 18, Remarks: "Served in a designated imminent danger pay area" followed by the location and dates. No idea if that would be on a Vietnam-era 214 though.

Like others have said, I haven't been asked to show it. In the unlikely event they do ask to see it, I expect the foreign service will be enough to satisfy them, even though foreign service isn't necessarily "active war zone." I'm pretty sure their policy would be to give the veteran the benefit of the doubt.

They may ask for proof or may not ask, but ensure that you have some type of proof with you if you have received the discount because they can charge you the difference of what you received for the discount upon check in if they do ask and you do not have anything, otherwise everybody that books a cruise online can get the discount when it's offered if they knew for certain that noone was going to ask for the DD214 or your active or retired military ID.

They may ask for proof or may not ask, but ensure that you have some type of proof with you if you have received the discount because they can charge you the difference of what you received for the discount upon check in if they do ask and you do not have anything, otherwise everybody that books a cruise online can get the discount when it's offered if they knew for certain that noone was going to ask for the DD214 or your active or retired military ID.

True. When I just got a price reduction due to the military rate, the phone agent told me to make sure to bring my ID card, and I certainly will. But I won't be surprised if they don't ask to see it at the port.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my original post. We have the DD214 in hand and it does list his Vietnam Service Medals. Additionally, there is a military rate being offered on our cruise which is $200.00 per person cheaper....so it appears we do have the bases covered. I just don't always trust what customer service tells you as you frequently read on these boards how different agents give different answers to the same question. The agent basically insinuated they probably wouldn't look at DD214, but to make sure they had it with them.

I just don't want our friend to have any surprises at checkin.

Shawn

Since it is at least within the ball park of on-topic, I will take this opportunity to list the following website where you can get a free copy of your DD 214:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

If you send the request through this site, they will send you two copies each with a raised seal [my original doesn't even have a raised seal]. I think they say allow a month or six weeks to get the documents. I think I got mine well within that time. I use one of these copies to carry with me. I have gotten a military discount once, but don't believe I was asked for verification. Nonetheless, I take it with me just in case.

To OP -- you might also ask your friend if he has any orders or other documents that can place where his foreign service was.

Edited to add -- The website above is through the natioanl archives and the copies are free to the service member

To all my fellow vets -- thank you for your service.

I had the same fear; would I get to the ship and be told that I did not qualify and have to pay that day's rack rate. The medals listed on a DD214 are as good as proof gets.

Or maybe the orders awarding the medal or the citation on a certificate that could establish the award and the dates.

Just checked my husbands DD214. He was also drafted and sent to Vietnam. Line 22 c does list his time in Vietnam as 1 year and his medals are also listed.

We have used the military rate before and our next cruise has a military rate

and have never been asked to see the DD214 even though we always bring it.

Thank him for his service and enjoy the cruise.

I was so worried that we would be charged the difference between the military rate and regular rate since DH has a WD 40 or 42, something like that. That was issued in 1946 long before there was even a DD214. The DD214 did not come into existence till 1950 or thereabout.

We were never asked to show it though, even though I was prepared to give a history lesson on the difference between the War Department and the Department of Defense.

But it is best to have a copy just in case.

• 1 month later...

It appears that Royal Caribbean changed their heading on their website for Military Discounts - now it states

"An Active duty or retired U.S. Military or Canadian Forces*"

But it still has below under #3 the same info -

"3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in."

It's really confusing - for a bit I thought my husband no longer qualified, even though he served over 10 years in the Army and was honorably discharged. But he did serve a minimum of 2 years - so he does qualify.

We were on the May 24th sailing of the Grandeur under a Military rate and we did present his DD214 to the clerk, the clerk just glanced at it - didn't even take it, said it was okay and processed our papers.

Still, today I got a little paranoid because they seemed to have changed their heading - so I contacted RCI about it. I wanted to ensure we still qualified for our cruise in October - a transatlantic for which we got a great military rate at the time we booked in April (499 for an oceanview - now they're up to 1200+). But it seems I have nothing to worry about after all.

The Celebrity website is also confusing - they don't go into detail - just said Active or retired, nothing about being honorable discharged after 2+ years, nor being in an active war zone. One would think these Cruise lines would thank our Veterans - past and current, who took time to serve our country.

K

I am retired military and an airline pilot, and over 55. I qualify for military, interline, senior, and usually resident discounts. I pick the best. I had to provide a copy of my airline ID to my TA when we booked our first cruise. That was it. Out of 22 cruises, 16 RCCL, 4 Carnival, 1 Princess and 1 NCL, I have only been asked to show ID on NCL.

"3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above.

One would think these Cruise lines would thank our Veterans - past and current, who took time to serve our country.

K

I wish they would consider revising some of this, particularly the "6 months in an active war zone", because many veterans never make it the 6 months because of wounds and injuries that rendered them permanently disabled and were sent home and discharged.

Also, onlly about 3% of Americans have ever served in the military. Of that another smaller percentage even cruise. I don't know the percent of other country's military but I would guess it is close.

I wish they would consider revising some of this, particularly the "6 months in an active war zone", because many veterans never make it the 6 months because of wounds and injuries that rendered them permanently disabled and were sent home and discharged.

Also, onlly about 3% of Americans have ever served in the military. Of that another smaller percentage even cruise. I don't know the percent of other country's military but I would guess it is close.

I wish RCCL would stop this utter discrimination. I have fought side by side in AFG with US forces and RCCL (besides my other 38 years of service in the miltary) does not recognize m ilitary rates for us Germans. We have some 4000 troops stationed there and we loose lifes and body parts as well and suffer the same miserable life there as my US-, Canadian- and British colleagues....

I wish RCCL would stop this utter discrimination. I have fought side by side in AFG with US forces and RCCL (besides my other 38 years of service in the miltary) does not recognize m ilitary rates for us Germans. We have some 4000 troops stationed there and we loose lifes and body parts as well and suffer the same miserable life there as my US-, Canadian- and British colleagues....

I fully support you on this one, my friend.

How do you find cruises with military discounts? I check off box for military but never received military, over 55or for Florida resident as far I could tell.

You can use Royal's website to search. If you click "Find Cruises" you will get to a page where you can set preferences. Click on "See if you qualify for exclusive rates". From there you can check Military. It will show cruises with Military rates.

Archived