Anyone done Medifast?

GlacierQueen

I was thinking of doing this. I have about 130 Lbs. to lose in 6 months in total. I don't plan to lose it all at once, but it would be nice to drop some. My best friend is getting married a couple weeks before my cruise - this is the main motivator. I don't want to ruin her pictures, but more importantly, I want to feel good, and fit, and look nice in a dress.

Navigator of the Seas~10/9/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Is it the one with going to the MD's office (centers) having group meetings as well as one on one w/councelors... closely monitored blood work and MD's visits.. Have done it many years ago... don't think you'll lose ALL you want in the 6 months and be able to maintain it.. need to modify alot of things.. not just your eating.. if they give you support (classes) to help you with the maint. phase and the reintro of food it's great.. Otherwise you're on your own and probably setup for regain.
Good luck in your choice.
Carolyn

I did Medifast from October to Christmas and lost 30lbs. I was out of town over the holidays and got off. I gained 10 lbs back since (kinda went crazy). But I'm trying to get back in the swing this week. The hard part for me is watching the rest of my family eating other things. I cheated a little but still lost all that weight. Good luck if you try it. There was a web site called thinner winners that I went to that had message boards and stuff. I learned alot about how to make things taste better etc.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your encouragement and the tip on the web site. I was wondering if there was such a thing for this type of weight loss program. I quit smoking a year and 4 months ago and it was the message boards and chat from a supportive web site that played a key role in my success. Quitting after 15 years was a major accomplishment for me and now I'm ready to tackle my weight. I am already changing my eating habits and am 2 months into my new exercise routine. Now I hate going a day w/o my exercise fix - that hasn't happened since high school. I am comfortable with continuing these new habits and refining them, however I these events coming up I think would be much more enjoyable and more comfortable if I were thinner.
Best of luck to you, Tu917 - I'm pulling for you and congrats on your weight loss so far. Perhaps I'll see you on 'thinner winners'. Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cajunqueen:
GlacierQueen,
I have neer heard of this program. Can you tell me what it's about? Thanks!!
Lovone<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi - This is a program similar in style to slimfast, where you replace all your meals or all you meals but one with a shake, bar, or soup. It's low calorie, low-fat, high-protein an puts your body in a state of ketosis to lose weight and retain as much muscle as possible. More info at the 'medifast diet' website.

Oprah lost on Medifast. Then she gained it all back threefold. It doesn't teach you to eat, it teaches your body to diet. You are already on a good start with exercise. Experts say to lose 2 pounds a week, tops, so give it a slow year and cut back calories, exercise and learn how to cook and eat for a lifetime of success.

Hi...Oprah was on OptiFast. After I saw her results, I tried it. The good news is: The program is very well run, with doctor involved, a lot of support, and easy to do...if you can handle not eating any food...just low calorie/high protein shakes, five times a day. That's how the program was over ten years ago. I lost 90 lbs in 5 monthes. The bad news is: It is very hard to learn how to eat again in transition and maintenance, when you haven't had to make food choices for so long. Over the years, I gained back all, plus another 25 lbs. It was very expensive, too.
Recently, after I achieved my all-time highest weight, I started Atkins, and have lost 38 lbs in 3 months. It is a slower process, but this time, I think I will keep it off, as I have learned how to manage my food, and I don't feel like I am depriving myself.
Good luck in whatever you attempt. Try to make your choice a Way Of Life. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your input. I'm starting Medifast tomorrow. I've found it's about the same cost or less than what I'm spending on food right now. I'm a member of a really good support web site now and am already planning maintenance which won't start for another 5-6 months. I think, overall, the key is to NOT live your life around food. It's simple math - input (food) must equal output (activity) or weight will be gained. I'm going to lose my emotional ties to food and make sure my metabolism gets slowly kicked into high gear when my goal weight is reached. I'm always in front of the boob-tube and that's not good either and that will definitely be changing. (I just turned off the TV all night tonight and got so much housework done! Who knew?!) If I can quit cigarettes, I can do anything!
Thanks for everyone's input - it helps.

Navigator of the Seas~10/9/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived