SS Azure Seas

Wow. The Azure Seas was my first, second , and third cruise. I went with a girlfriend and I was only 19 the first time we went. She started dating one of the waiters so we'd head to San Pedro from Anaheim to meet the ship when it would come in and spend the day with some of the crew. We had so much fun the first time, that we went 2 more times within the next year. I was truly hooked on cruising. Things were so different back then. I remember having friends come on board for Bon Voyage parties, then they'd have to get off and we'd throw streamers at them as they waved goodbye to us from the dock.

What a fun trip down memory lane.......

I loved the Azure Seas and the Emerald Seas. I was on the Azure one time but I was on the Emerald Seas 3 times. I still have a few pictures from the Emerald Seas - John, you probably took them! Great memories.....Were you on the ship when they had Gary Puckett and the Union Gap band on board?

• 4 weeks later...

The Azure Seas was our first cruise, a RadioShack reward trip. Hooked forever from that point. I vividly remember someone from pur group ROLLING down the stairs and her husband on the floor laughing his butt off. Fortunately, she was not hurt, laughed a lot herself, but what a sight. It certainly conjured up images of 'the romantic seas' being on that ship. I can hear the deck creaking as I type.

• 2 months later...

I don't know how I stumbled upon this thread, but it is full of memories for us, too. I surprised my husband for his 50th birthday with a 3 night Azure Seas Cruise in October of 1990. We didn't know if we were going to like cruising so I didn't want to spend much time or money. We had an inside cabin with twin beds that met in a corner and could not be moved! We walked around before she sailed and took some video. We didn't know that the camera was on and we have quite a bit of video of her many carpets!! We were basically on her last outing out of CA before going to Florida. The food was not very good, she was getting pretty run down, but we were hooked on cruising anyway. Thanks for the memories!

• 3 months later...

I've got to put my 2 cents worth in! I was on the Azure Seas in '84. My friend was the principal singer in the show, her name is Torill. We had worked together at the Las Vegas Hilton in Bal du Moulin Rouge in '82-'83 and she invited me on one of their runs down to Ensenada. It was my second cruise, my first was on the Princess Carla in '69. My dance teacher had the little review on the ship. I'm going on my 7th cruise in June on the Jewel of the Seas for a 12 day Baltic cruise ! I've got the bug !

• 3 weeks later...

Azure Seas was our first family cruise in the mid 80s. I have a great picture the whole family, including my mother, doing tequila shooters at Hossongs in Ensenada. Cruising is now the prefered vaction style for the entire family. I compare any cabin I am assigned to the top/botton bunk configuration my wife and I shared with my brother and his wife. You had to almost straddle the toilet to shower. Great time was had by all.

What great memories I have of the OceanBreeze. In the mid-90's we flew to Aruba to get on it. It was a 7 day cruise to Curacao, Colombia, San Blas Islands and partial cruise of the Panama Canal.The ship was small and old but very inviting and the food was great.Very fond memories.

I was the member who started this thread almost 4 years ago and here it is still being read and that ship is still being remembered by a lot of us! Just thinking how cool that is and how I need to be booking another cruise!!! It's been great to read everyone's memories!:)

• 3 months later...

Hey johnoUK1, good work on the Azure Seas! This ship was also my family's first cruise--and during your time as photographer! I was just a kid then, but have vivid memories of the ship as well as some of the staff, including the lady disc jockey in the discotheque, who happened to be from the same little town that we lived in. What fun! What great baked alaska! I can't say much about the food, I'm sure it was great, but I probably just ate hamburgers. To this very day I use the blanket that I bought in Ensenada on that cruise, some 20 years later. It always reminds me of the Azure Seas. Thanks to everyone for the memories!

ss Southern Cross (1955-2003) Delivered in 1955 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland as ss Southern Cross for UK-based Shaw, Savill & Albion Line for service between Europe and Australia. She was the first passenger ship of over 20,000 gross register tons built that had her engine room (and as a result of that, her funnel) located at the rear of the ship, rather than midships. She started a trend of aft-engined ships, and today all passengers ships are built this way.

Although designed as an all-tourist-class vessel for an immigrant route, she was designed with fairly luxurious facilities for her time. All passenger cabins were air-conditioned, fitted with hot and cold running water, and inside cabins had circular lights that were switched on gradually in the morning, mimicking the rising of the sun. However, only the most expensive cabins had private bathroom facilities. The aft-funnel arrangement made it possible to build a large open lido deck midship, including a 5,000 square feet sports deck area. In addition to the two outdoor pools there was one indoor pool. All inside public spaces were air conditioned, and included a two-deck high cinema (also used as a dancing venue), two large public lounges, two restaurants, a writing room/library and a smoking room. Externally the ship was of a completely new design. The bridge was placed far back, being closer to midship that the bow. The meant the superstructure extended quite far more forward than the bridge. Like all Shaw Savill ships of the time, the Southern Cross sported a grey hull, light green superstructure and an orange funnel with a black top.

In 1953 Queen Elizabeth II was approached and asked if she would be willing to launch the ship and choose a name for her from a list of suggestions. The Queen agreed to launch the ship, and chose the name Southern Cross for the ship. When the ship was launched on August 17, 1954, she became the first passenger liner to be launched by a reigning monarch.

On February 23, 1955 the Southern Cross was delivered to her owners. After a series of shakedown cruises she left for her first trip from Europe to Australia and back again. Taking 76 days for one circumnavigation, the Southern Cross sailed from Southampton to Capetown, from there to Australia and New Zealand, and then continuing eastwards across the Pacific to Europe via the Panama canal. Normally she made four such circumnavigations every year.

The Southern Cross enjoyed great success during the early years of her Shaw Savill service, and in the late 1950s a second ship of similar design but larger dimensions was ordered, and entered service in 1962 as ss Northern Star. When she entered service, the Northern Star replaced the Southern Cross on the eastwards Australian run, and the Southern Cross took over the westwards itinerary, visiting the same ports as before but in reversed order.

Ship+Photo+Southern+Cross.jpg

Throughout the 1960s the competition from jet passenger aircraft increased on the Australian run and as a result, the around-the-year service to Australia became no longer financially viable. Southern Cross was then used for cruising from Liverpool to the Mediterranean from June 1971 onwards. Although her design was otherwise well suited for cruising, the ship did not have toilet facilities in all cabins, which made her an unpopular cruise ship, and after just five months of cruising Shaw Savill decided to lay up the ship in November of the same year.

Ship+Photo+CALYPSO.jpg

After spending over a year laid up, first in Southampton and then at River Fal, Cornwall, Southern Cross was sold to Greek-based Ulysses Lines in January 1973. Renamed ss Calypso, she sailed to Piraeus where she was rebuilt into a proper cruise ship. Painted in cruise-like whites with an attractive blue/white funnel, Calypso entered service for Ulysses Lines in March 1975, initially cruising around the Mediterranean with Piraeus as the starting point. After a few months, she was chartered to UK-based Thomson Cruises and used for cruising from Tilbury and Southampton. Thomson withdrew from the cruise business in 1976 and Calypso returned to Ulysses Lines, who used her for cruising around the Mediterranean, as well as a season for cruising around South America in 1978-1979, and seven-night cruises from Miami to the Caribbean from 1979 onwards. At some point she was also used for cruises from New York City to Bermuda. In 1980, she was renamed ss Calypso I and used for cruises from Los Angeles to Alaska.

Ship+Photo+CALYPSO.jpg

In late 1980, she was sold again, this time to U.S.-based Eastern Cruise Lines, who used her to start west-coast of U.S. service under the name Western Cruise Lines. Renamed ss Azure Seas, she had her funnel painted dark blue and she was placed on three-and four-night cruises from Los Angeles to Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico and soon became highly popular.

262444826_7ae63c8838.jpg?v=0

In 1986 Western Cruise Lines and Eastern Cruise Lines merged with their west-coast competitor Sundance Cruises to form Admiral Cruises. Azure Seas continued her popular west-coast cruises until 1991, when she was transferred to cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. However, in the same year, Admiral Cruises was bought by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The new owners had little interest in keeping the old Azure Seas in service, and she was sold to Dolphin Cruise Line.

Ship+Photo+OCEAN+BREEZE.jpg

Renamed ss OceanBreeze and sporting a new white-funneled livery with curving blue stripes along the hull, the 36-year-old ship started cruising on a seven-night itinerary from Aruba in 1992. In 1996, she was moved to cruising from New York and Florida. Another change of ownership was in order for the ship in 1997 when Dolphin Cruise Line, Premier Cruises and Seawind Cruises merged to form Premier Cruise Line. OceanBreeze was repainted in the new company's colors, with a dark blue funnel and a blue and yellow hull, but otherwise her service continued as it had before.

Ship+Photo+Ocean+Breeze.jpg

In 1999, Premier Cruise Lines chartered the OceanBreeze to the newly founded Imperial Majesty Cruises. Her old name, crew and hull colors were maintained, only the company name (on the hull) and the logo on the funnel was changed. Imperial Majesty placed her on two-night cruises from Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau whre she proved to be very popular. Later in 1999/early 2000, Imperial Majesty Cruises decided to purchase her outright. In October 2000 she was rebuilt at Newport News, Va at a cost of $3,500,000 with more up-to-date interiors. OceanBreeze was expected by many to continue sailing until the new SOLAS-regulations come in effect in 2010, but this was not to be.

Running a steam turbine powered ship on two-night itineraries was highly expensive, and an additional $5 million would have been needed to rebuilt the ship to conform to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In addition, Ocean Breeze not being equipped with bow thrusters, required the assistance of a tug every time she visited a port. In 2003, Imperial Majesty Cruises decided to sell her for scrap and in November 2003 she was beached in Chittagong, Bangladesh, where she was broken up.

Some more pics of the former Southern Cross in her various identities:

Ship+Photo+Southern+Cross.jpg

As Southern Cross for Shaw, Savill & Albion Line

Ship+Photo+Calypso.jpg

As Calypso for Ulysses Lines

Ship+Photo+CALYPSO.jpg

As Calypso for Ulysses Lines

Ship+Photo+OCEAN+BREEZE+AT+NASSAU+NOV+1996.jpg

As Ocean Breeze for Dolphin Cruise Line

As Ocean Breeze for Imperial Majesty Cruises

Another one as Ocean Breeze for Imperial Majesty Cruises

I remember being aboard the Azure Seas in 1986( lifetime ago) . I went with my graduating class, we thought we were all grown up. It was truly the best time of my life. I had the pleasure of meeting Johnny Lee, he was performing ..It was of course the Urban Cowboy Days so it was Great!

I remember meeting the Best Looking Guy ever named Jim he was with his brother Jon..I totally fell in love at first sight . We kept in touch for awhile but long distance relationships hardly ever work.. me from Bakersfield and he from Tennessee .. But over the years,I've wondered what happen to him .. Great Memories, but will always wonder what would of happened if I would of went to college in Tennessee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How exciting! As we prepare for our second ever cruise ,I have been racking my brain to remember the name of the ship we sailed on for our honeymoon. I read this thread and I new immediately that was it.

We sailed the Azzure seas on November 12,1984. Los Angeles to SanDiego to Ensenada and back to L.A.. We had a fabulous time.The cabin was so tiny. The food was amazing. I was sea sick for alot of it. They told me to keep my stomach full. Boy did I. One night at dinner I had to run to the facilities because I was feeling sick. When I returned to the table feeling better, and looking forward to the cheesecake I had ordered for desert I found my new DH finishing the last of my desert. He said,you were sick. I didn't want it to go to waste. We have laughed about that for 25 years. We are going on the Legend on October 18 to cellebrate 25 wonderful years of marriage.This time I will be wearing the Transderm Scop patch. Hopefully I will get to eat my own desert.

• 5 weeks later...

I happened to be thinking of the Azure Seas this morning and ran across this thread. What wonderful memories you all have stirred up. This too was my very first cruise in the 80's. I can't seem to locate my photos but I know they are here somewhere. I remember thinking that this was an absolutely fabulous way to travel. Cruising got into my blood thanks to the Azure Seas and then the Viking Serenade. Getting ready for #46 next month on Mariner of the Seas. Thanks for the memories...

(If I were not upon the seas, a blackjack dealer I would be. Hit me here, hit me there...etc.) :)

• 3 weeks later...

My family and I cruised on this ship when it was the Dolphin "OceanBreeze". I think it was back in 1995 or 1996 and we didn't have a great experience cruising on her. The ship just wasn't up to par to the cruise ships that we had sailed before. Dolphin Cruise Lines didn't seem to take a great amount of care of this ship back then.

• 1 year later...

In 1984 my first job out of college was with Orkin Commercial Pest Control and we would do the pest control service every Monday while the Azure Seas was in port in Long Beach. I remember eating with the crew in their mess hall. There was a lady who lived on the ship. (cheaper than a retirement home). We sailed for work every so often to Catalina.

Anyway, I have been on many cruises since but still have fondness for the Azure Seas where I had my first exposure to Sailing on a cruise ship.

Later did the Viking Seranade several times from Long Beach.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I have been looking for a photo of my first cruise for some time. I just couldn't remember the name. I just found the photo and it's of the Azure Seas. It was February 1983 out of Los Angeles to Ensenada. The weather was so bad that they offered to refund our money before we boarded. If we took the cruise and missed Ensenada, we couldn't complain.

I think Ensenada was a tender port at the time. Not sure. People were barfing everywhere. We did get to go to Ensenada.

I went with my travel school, ITMI. We were going to go to the ship to see what it was like and get off before sailing. When the teacher called the cruise ship to ask if we could do that, they offered to let us all sail for just taxes or some small amount.

I don't remember the food or entertainment at all. I do remember having a good time.

I'm so glad I found the picture. I was, however, hoping it would have been from a major cruise line so I could get credit for it. I wonder if RCCL would give me a sailing credit for it.

How cool to find this thread! Azure Seas was our first cruise - sailed out of Long Beach for our honeymoon in August, 1985. We haven't cruised since for multiple reasons, but are now booked for two. Our waiter made such an impression we still remember his name - Sabino. We have such fond memories of that cruise, I'm super excited to be cruising again. Hope it lives up to our expectations.....

Nat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Took a 4-day cruise out of LA as a booster shot following my first cruise in to the Carib about 1983. It was a beautiful old ship, clearly made for the Atlantic crossing trade, -very "nautical", with lots of brass and wood. In those days the bridge tour included a turn at the wheel if you wanted one. My wife turned the wheel so hard the ship took a good roll and they lost a lot of glassware down below- Those were the days.

We didn't sail on Azure Seas until October of 1990. By then she needed a lot of work! But, it was great for our first cruise experience! Food was pretty mediocre, our inside cabin was pretty funny-with twin wooden bunks meeting at a corner table-not movable! It wasn't until 2003 that we did our 2nd cruise. This year will be #13 and 14. We've come a long way!

• 4 months later...
Wow, I have been looking for a photo of my first cruise for some time. I just couldn't remember the name. I just found the photo and it's of the Azure Seas. It was February 1983 out of Los Angeles to Ensenada. The weather was so bad that they offered to refund our money before we boarded. If we took the cruise and missed Ensenada, we couldn't complain.

I think Ensenada was a tender port at the time. Not sure. People were barfing everywhere. We did get to go to Ensenada.

I went with my travel school, ITMI. We were going to go to the ship to see what it was like and get off before sailing. When the teacher called the cruise ship to ask if we could do that, they offered to let us all sail for just taxes or some small amount.

I don't remember the food or entertainment at all. I do remember having a good time.

I'm so glad I found the picture. I was, however, hoping it would have been from a major cruise line so I could get credit for it. I wonder if RCCL would give me a sailing credit for it.

Did you ever inquire with RCCL if they would give you a sailing credit for your 1983 Azure Seas Cruise?

If I could receive credit for my 1982 sailing, it would put me at diamond level!