Disembarkation at Southampton -Timing

MIZEEKS

I seem to have read somewhere that Cunard policy is to disembark by deck order

Can anyone be more specific?

I'm on Deck 7 fwd and ideally would like tomeet my taxi transfer to Southampton airport around 10:30 am. Is this likely to conflictwith established Cunard arrangements for offloading luggage form Deck 7?

How can I avoid (a) Standing/Sitting around arrivals hall for a prolonged period?

or (b) Can I leave the ship at a time of my choosing without creating any difficulty in recovering my baggage?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I seem to have read somewhere that Cunard policy is to disembark by deck order

Can anyone be more specific?

I'm on Deck 7 fwd and ideally would like tomeet my taxi transfer to Southampton airport around 10:30 am. Is this likely to conflictwith established Cunard arrangements for offloading luggage form Deck 7?

How can I avoid (a) Standing/Sitting around arrivals hall for a prolonged period?

or (b) Can I leave the ship at a time of my choosing without creating any difficulty in recovering my baggage?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is Cunard's policy to disembark by deck order.

Highest to lowest decks.

We did self-disembark on QM2 in early May in NY and were off the ship and through customs by 7:30 a.m.

We also self-embarked from QE in early April in Southampton and also were off the ship just passed 7:30 a.m.

Both times we had had breakfast in the dining room before we left the ship.

With self-embarking you have to be able to take your luggage off with you so you would not put it outside your cabin door the night before.

Simple as ABC and much less stess than sitting around waiting for your color to be called and only a few people were in front us...no lines! :D

Hope you have a wonderful sailing.

best regards,

seasidegal

Yes, it is Cunard's policy to disembark by deck order.

Highest to lowest decks.

We did self-disembark on QM2 in early May in NY and were off the ship and through customs by 7:30 a.m.

We also self-embarked from QE in early April in Southampton and also were off the ship just passed 7:30 a.m.

Both times we had had breakfast in the dining room before we left the ship.

With self-embarking you have to be able to take your luggage off with you so you would not put it outside your cabin door the night before.

Simple as ABC and much less stess than sitting around waiting for your color to be called and only a few people were in front us...no lines! :D

Hope you have a wonderful sailing.

best regards,

seasidegal

:confused:I guess I wasn't paying much attention, but I thought disembarkation (and embarkation) went by cabin category rather than deck level??

(Except of course, for those passengers who choose to be first off using self-disembarkation, followed by Grills Passengers and World Club members (Platinum and Diamond level) with Priority Boarding/Disemarkation.)

Correction welcomed. Thank you. -S.

Thanks Seasidegal -It seems you wished to achieve the opposite result to us-(viz wishing to leave as early as possible)

In our case, since our baggage is likely to be offloaded very early (next to top deck), and we wish to have a relaxed late departure to suit flight and transfer, there is the concomitant worry of luggage retrieval due to the time lapse. Self debarkation is frustrated due to having a wheelchair in addition to baggage, so is there some way to arrange customised porterage? What would be the ideal time to aim for to achieve our ends ? (QE Southampton Sunday 9 June 10:30 am meet transfer.)

Regards,

Mike

:confused:I guess I wasn't paying much attention, but I thought disembarkation (and embarkation) went by cabin category rather than deck level??

(Except of course, for those passengers who choose to be first off using self-disembarkation, followed by Grills Passengers and World Club members (Platinum and Diamond level) with Priority Boarding/Disemarkation.)

Correction welcomed. Thank you. -S.

Sorry, Salacia...too late at night for my mind to work:eek: :-)

Yes, you are correct that the Grills Passsengers, etc were allowed off first after self-disembarkation. After which it is the color coded luggage tags

by deck order. We were on the 4th deck in-hull balcony and if we had not self-disembarked our color tag was the last to be off the ship.

Mike, not sure how to help you meet your objection as we self-disembark and the few times we have not we found that the waiting to be 'called' was not that enjoyable and the lines long. We enjoy our breakfast in the dining room and are well-fed and 'coffee-d' ;) before we do leave.

However, I realize with a wheelchair that self-disembarkment would certainly not be as easy.

When they gave us a special card to self-embark we were told we had to be able to handle all our luggage on our own.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help. I'm sure someone else will be, though.:)

best regards,

seasidegal

Sorry, Salacia...too late at night for my mind to work:eek: :-)

Yes, you are correct that the Grills Passsengers, etc were allowed off first after self-disembarkation. After which it is the color coded luggage tags

by deck order. We were on the 4th deck in-hull balcony and if we had not self-disembarked our color tag was the last to be off the ship.

Mike, not sure how to help you meet your objection as we self-disembark and the few times we have not we found that the waiting to be 'called' was not that enjoyable and the lines long. We enjoy our breakfast in the dining room and are well-fed and 'coffee-d' ;) before we do leave.

However, I realize with a wheelchair that self-disembarkment would certainly not be as easy.

When they gave us a special card to self-embark we were told we had to be able to handle all our luggage on our own.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help. I'm sure someone else will be, though.:)

best regards,

seasidegal

Do you have to notify the pursers office if you want to do self service disembarkation?

You need to go to the pursers, tell them you have a taxi booked and ask them to change your tag to allow disembarkation at the correct time. Most self disembarkation is done early but if you tried at 10.30 you would be in the middle of the rush and you would not be popular lugging cases in the general melee.

There is no guarantee that anyone will get off at any particular time though.

David.

When we arrived in southampton on May 10, all passengers were asked to vacate their room by 8:30 am and wait in their disembarkation assembly area until their "color" was called. This is because the staff needs to start cleaning the room asap.

We were in princess grill but were able to disembark with the queens grill passengers at 8 am and it was very fast and easy. After grills, the order for getting off seemed to be from top of the ship down.

Probably shouldn't admit this but we were scheduled to be one of the last groups to disembark from our December Canaries cruise.

As we walked towards the Queen's Room where we were due to wait for at least another hour we noticed that the disembarkation queue was very short so we joined it and left the ship. Of course we were prepared for the staff to refuse to let us off or tell us off for trying to buck the system but there was no problem at all.

We did wonder whether we would simply exchange waiting on board for waiting in the luggage reclaim area but our luggage was already waiting for us so we will be trying to do the same thing again next time :o. It is not the best ending to a lovely cruise to sit bored senseless for ages.

I have often thought disembarkation would be much more fun if it were done on a lottery basis!

There is no easy way I guess, we go for the self disembarkation option as the lesser of the evils but appreciate not everyone can choose to do this. It is still not easy, trying to manouevre luggage through the ship is far from ideal and not much fun for other passengers either

I think it's important to remember that you have to be out of your room by 8.30 (as pointed out earlier) and that breakfast (including the Lido) also closes at 8.30. This means a couple of hours sitting around with nothing to do and not even a cup of coffee to help you relax.

On my last cruise I decided I couldn't face that; I wanted to get off the ship and get on my local train home. I therefore asked the people at the main desk to change me over to self-disembarkation and this worked brilliantly for me. I left the ship at 8.15, got a taxi to the train station and made it to the 9.15 train in plenty of time and was home by 11.15. I was even able to do two loads of washing that day!

For you, though, without the self-disembarkation option, you need to work out what best suits your preference. Would you rather sit quietly on the ship without coffee, or could you go to the airport earlier and sit in a pay-to-visit lounge for the extra time? (The best ones of these are after security, so it only works if your airline lets you book your luggage through early.)

Whatever you decide, the main desk is great at changing times and options. They can generally give you a later time or an earlier time if you have a good reason for it.

I think it's important to remember that you have to be out of your room by 8.30 (as pointed out earlier) and that breakfast (including the Lido) also closes at 8.30. This means a couple of hours sitting around with nothing to do and not even a cup of coffee to help you relax.

On my last cruise I decided I couldn't face that; I wanted to get off the ship and get on my local train home. I therefore asked the people at the main desk to change me over to self-disembarkation and this worked brilliantly for me. I left the ship at 8.15, got a taxi to the train station and made it to the 9.15 train in plenty of time and was home by 11.15. I was even able to do two loads of washing that day!

Whatever you decide, the main desk is great at changing times and options. They can generally give you a later time or an earlier time if you have a good reason for it.

fantasy:

I'm with you. Dislike that sitting around because I keep thinking "someone else is soon going to be in my cabin!":( :D

We got off the ship ASAP (it was our first time with using the trains in the UK) so didn't want to miss the 9:15 a.m. as we were meeting someone in beautiful Bath. We had loads of time as it was a very fast cab ride to the train station and no problem figuring out the schedules. Love the trains in Britain! :) (It was a sad day when we used our 21 day Britrail passes for the last time :()

You are correct about the purser's desk being very helpful. To the 'one' they always smiled and were very patient when we needed help.

best regards,

seasidegal

Platinum and Diamond World Club members have priority disembarkation - a very nice perk. When available, the priority disembarkation lounge is Todd English where coffee/tea/juice and pastry is available. (Grills passengers also have use of that facility.) I know this might not help the OP, but it's something to consider for the future :) Regards, -S

Platinum and Diamond World Club members have priority disembarkation - a very nice perk. When available, the priority disembarkation lounge is Todd English where coffee/tea/juice and pastry is available. (Grills passengers also have use of that facility.) I know this might not help the OP, but it's something to consider for the future :) Regards, -S

And another big perk is the dedicated luggage reclaim area for higher graded passengers. This is tucked away in a corner of the baggage hall.

David

Queens Grill passengers wait to disembark in the Queens Grill lounge. They go first.

Princess Grill passengers wait to disembark in the Chart Room. Platinum & Diamond CWC members have (as you've said) the use of Todd English. I can't remember who goes second - the PG or Platinum/Diamond CWC passengers.

This is what I've experienced/seen on QM2.

If you get an early time to disembark you can always leave later :D 10.30 is usually about the latest time they give you.

Have a great voyage.

Eddie

Faced with an inevitable wait (my flight time is 13:05) and given the options of sitting around in (a) a comfortable location on board,(b) in the baggage hall or© at the flight departure gate (with a wheelchair, you don't have any option once airside), I guess my preference is to leave disembarkation as late as possible, so I'll have a word at the purser's desk and see what they can do for me. If I must leave ship earlier than my pre-arranged transfer, I can always call the taxi firm and request an earlier slot.

Many thanks to all for your helpful input.

Mike.

Queens Grill passengers wait to disembark in the Queens Grill lounge. They go first.

Princess Grill passengers wait to disembark in the Chart Room. Platinum & Diamond CWC members have (as you've said) the use of Todd English. I can't remember who goes second - the PG or Platinum/Diamond CWC passengers.

This is what I've experienced/seen on QM2.

Yes, the bizarre situation (on QV & QE) of making your way to the top of the ship and then back down again to be first off :confused: ). I tend to loiter at the bottom of the stairs to the grills lounge and head off down the stairs as soon as I hear them announcing in the lounge that we can leave - am then invariably first off :D

Yes, the bizarre situation (on QV & QE) of making your way to the top of the ship and then back down again to be first off :confused: ). I tend to loiter at the bottom of the stairs to the grills lounge and head off down the stairs as soon as I hear them announcing in the lounge that we can leave - am then invariably first off :D

My goodness, two (Cabinet) from Britain jumping the queue, unheard of!;)

As we walked towards the Queen's Room where we were due to wait for at least another hour we noticed that the disembarkation queue was very short so we joined it and left the ship. .

Smart move. Wonder what would happen if all the rest joined you.

David

Inconvient to wait for your appointed disemarkation time? Makes me wonder what would happen in an emergency situation.

The need for an orderly disembarkation process is not only an exercise in civility; it is an exercise in discipline.

We are on Deck 4 Aft. We have a reservation with Southampton Taxis to take us to London. The confirmation says they will pick us up at 9:00 am. Should we email them back and suggest a later time? What time would be realistic?

We are on Deck 4 Aft. We have a reservation with Southampton Taxis to take us to London. The confirmation says they will pick us up at 9:00 am. Should we email them back and suggest a later time? What time would be realistic?

Jane:

We had a Deck 4 Aft and our colour was the last that was going to be called so that would not get you off for 9 a.m. You could speak with Purser's Desk

and ask for an earlier time or you can self-disembark or, of course, move the time of your pick-up.

If you self-disembark you have to be able to carry (or pull) your luggage off on your own. They will give you a special card and that would have you off

in lots of time for your cab. We had breakfast as soon as the dining room opened, went back to the cabin to pick up our luggage and were off

before 7:30 a.m.

The purser's desk was very helpful and it was a breeze getting off the ship.

Hope you and your family have a great holiday and I imagine you are very excited at this time.:)

best regards,

seasidegal

I hate waiting in line so last time on QM coffee and pastries were available so we sat on a lounger had coffee and people watched all the " pushers and shovers " josling in lines to get off. Later, nice and relaxed we wondered down and walked straight off picked up cases and drove straight out the car park, no lines or stress. we Just enjoyed the ship a little longer. But we don't have an onward connection just a 2 hour drive back to sunny sussex

Archived