Taxis in Tromso

Are taxis available at the cruise ship pier? Are they terribly expensive? This is the itinerary we would like:

1. Ship to Cable Car

2. Arctic Cathedral to Polaria Arctic Museum

3. Polaria back to ship

Can anyone estimate total cost and let us know if taxis will even be available at the ship, cathedral and museum.

Otherwise, what about bus service? Are any of these legs walkable? (I'm not sure if our ship will provide transportation to town from the port.)

http://www.whatsinport.com/Tromso.htm#tours

http://nauticalnotebook.com/dec10-tromso.html

See if these will help you,emckeeve. I'm using them to help plan that city. Still working on it, but we pretty much will do the area on foot and city bus. There are maps of bus routes and great tips on these site. Looks easy enough to do. And we have all day. No need to spend the $$ on a ship excursion. DH wants to see the botanical gardens of arctic plants and flowers too.

Oh, the cable car is undergoing repairs. It may not be opened till July.

http://www.whatsinport.com/Tromso.htm#tours

http://nauticalnotebook.com/dec10-tromso.html

See if these will help you,emckeeve. I'm using them to help plan that city. Still working on it, but we pretty much will do the area on foot and city bus. There are maps of bus routes and great tips on these site. Looks easy enough to do. And we have all day. No need to spend the $$ on a ship excursion. DH wants to see the botanical gardens of arctic plants and flowers too.

Oh, the cable car is undergoing repairs. It may not be opened till July.

The cable car opened on May 20th.

http://www.fjellheisen.no/en/

Are taxis available at the cruise ship pier? Are they terribly expensive? This is the itinerary we would like:

1. Ship to Cable Car

3. Polaria back to ship

Can anyone estimate total cost and let us know if taxis will even be available at the ship, cathedral and museum.

Otherwise, what about bus service? Are any of these legs walkable? (I'm not sure if our ship will provide transportation to town from the port.)

When planning your day, be aware that there is a concert every day at 2pm in June and July and you won't be admitted into the church unless you pay to attend. I think it lasts about 45 minutes.

1. Ship to Cable Car

3. Polaria back to ship

Unless you have been eating too much on your ship all these legs should be walkable!

Screwcork

I agree if you are reasonably fit easy to walk to cable car and artic church or you can catch a bus to the cable car and walk back via the artic church. It's about 30 mins walk. The cable car is great try and get there early to beat the tour groups as numbers are limited in the car. We also went to the brewery in tromso which was the most northerly brewery - Mack ale. Tromso is a great easy to do port.:D

I agree if you are reasonably fit easy to walk to cable car and artic church or you can catch a bus to the cable car and walk back via the artic church. It's about 30 mins walk. The cable car is great try and get there early to beat the tour groups as numbers are limited in the car. We also went to the brewery in tromso which was the most northerly brewery - Mack ale. Tromso is a great easy to do port.:D

I believed the brewery has moved out of Tromso and there is just a pub there now.

It takes a bit of time, but it's definitely walkable. On our port day the ship had a shuttle into the city center, which helped a lot. We walked to the Arctic cathedral and on to the cable car. Then we caught a bus back to the city center.

It's not that easy to catch a taxi on the street, but I was pleasantly surprised by the price last time I was in town (we had an early flight and took a taxi to the airport). The taxi fares start around 40 NOK ($7), and a 10-minute trip from the Arctic Cathedral to Polaria would probably cost around 125 NOK ($20).

I believed the brewery has moved out of Tromso and there is just a pub there now.

This is correct. I was there in February, and the Tromsø tourism site hadn't been updated yet. Not sure if it has now. We were very disappointed to find this out only after we showed up for the tour (which I've done before and really enjoyed).

Thanks everyone. We are fit to walk, but I was thinking of alternatives in case of rain! I just didn't know if taxis lingered at the tourist spots or if they are only at the taxi stations shown on the maps.

Archived