Transportation from Yokohama to Tokyo

ronbarb

I was on the same cruise as TravelEEmpress and the company we used in Tokyo were great.

It is a shame that RCCL haven't got this right yet. Voyager is too tall to dock in Yokohama, she can't get under the bridge.

She will most likely dock at Oi wharf in Tokyo.

• 1 month later...
We arrive in Yohoma on the cruise ship Voyager of the Sea on April 25th and have no idea as to homw to get to our hoel in Tokyo. We are a couple of 80 year old seniors and would dearly like some help which is relative inexpensive. Your help is appreciated.

My wife and I are also disembarking from the same ship on 25th April and are booked at Tokyo Grand Hotel. I have contacted Discover Japan Tours ( http://www.discover-japan-tours.com/en ) and they are quoting Y40,000 (full cost for a group of up to 6 passengers) inclusive of Private Van wharf pick-up, Tokyo hotel drop-off and an 8-hour Tokyo City tour. A 10% Non-Refundable advance payment (Y4,000) is required.

Only issue at the moment is the berthing port of Voyager of the Seas. RCCL customer service says it's Osanbashi International Passenger Terminals at Yokohama Port whilst a travel agent contact in Tokyo says it is Oi Wharf at Tokyo Port.

Discover Japan Tours can pick up the passengers from either port.

Thanks to everyone that mentioned Discover Japan Tours. We have been in touch with them regarding our trip in October. They are offering what we were looking for - transfers between the airport and hotel, hotel to cruise ship and 2 days of tours in Tokyo. We are working out the details but it looks very promising.

This sounds great! Did you check out reviews...also iteniaries sometimes change; did you find out what happens if this occurs? Are you traveling with a group or have you gotten others on your cruise to sign up with you or are you booking and hoping to get others to go with you once aboard?

Any other cruisers use this company....reviews please!!! And welcome other ideas as Celebrity does not offer full day tour of Tokoyo or a trnsprt into city center!!!

Thanks,

California Couple

My wife and I are also disembarking from the same ship on 25th April and are booked at Tokyo Grand Hotel. I have contacted Discover Japan Tours ( http://www.discover-japan-tours.com/en ) and they are quoting Y40,000 (full cost for a group of up to 6 passengers) inclusive of Private Van wharf pick-up, Tokyo hotel drop-off and an 8-hour Tokyo City tour. A 10% Non-Refundable advance payment (Y4,000) is required.

Only issue at the moment is the berthing port of Voyager of the Seas. RCCL customer service says it's Osanbashi International Passenger Terminals at Yokohama Port whilst a travel agent contact in Tokyo says it is Oi Wharf at Tokyo Port.

Discover Japan Tours can pick up the passengers from either port.

My husband and I are also on same ship and are wondering how we will get to our hotel , we are staying at Shiba Park Hotel ,would they drop off at different hotels ?

Pam

After spending two very enjoyable days seeing Tokyo and being transferred to Narita Airport with Discover Japan Tours, I can highly recommend them. Yosuke was very knowledgeable and accommodating. He was such a pleasure to spend time with and made our visit to Tokyo a great one.

• 2 months later...

I second Mike's commendation of Yosuke (owner of Discover Japan Tours)!

DH Dave and I are back from our fabulous 31-day Japan trip (one week in Tokyo and one week in Osaka before boarding the Volendam at Kobe for the 17-day Japan and trans-Pacific crossing to Vancouver) with countless happy memories and photos--and want to again thank Mike (and others on other threads) for telling us about Yosuke!

DH Dave and I loved the people and places of Japan--and cannot wait to return! One of the reasons we had such a marvelous time is thanks to Yosuke.

He took care of our private limo transfer from Tokyo's Narita Airport to our Tokyo hotel and personally conducted several outstanding customized day-tours for us: highlights of Tokyo one day using public transportation and another day in his comfortable van to Nikko to see the amazing temple/shrine and shogun tomb as well as the surrounding mountains, lakes, and waterfalls. I also booked him for six of us from our Cruise Critic roll call via his van to Kamakura (to see the world's largest outdoor Buddha in a gorgeous mountain setting) from our Tokyo port all--and everyone was thrilled with his expertise, graciousness, and friendliness, too. (His senior year of high school was in Colorado, and his English is perfect.)

We'd also booked a third day for the two of us with him to Mt. Fuji on the last day at our Tokyo hotel--but there were heavy rains and he actually contacted us early that morning to tell us we'd not get to see much of anything AND, therefore, he immediately refunded our entire payment! This rarely happens in the tour business, and we were deeply impressed by his honesty and thoughtfulness.

Prior to our arrival, my husband and I had Skyped and emailed with him to customize our tours and get advice about many things (including the best way to maximize our JR Green Car Pass)--and he always followed up quickly and thoroughly (and patiently).

We feel as we now have a delightful friend as well as first-rate guide in Japan!

Let me know if you have any questions about our time in Japan or our cruise.

Mary-Lou

Mary Lou,

I am so glad you enjoyed Yosuke. He is such a sweet person and excellent guide. We also feel like he is a friend and will hopeefully be able to return some day to Japan to be with him again. Japan is quite a special place. Such lovely polite people. Thanks for letting us know your experiences.

Mary Lou,

I am so glad you enjoyed Yosuke. He is such a sweet person and excellent guide. We also feel like he is a friend and will hopeefully be able to return some day to Japan to be with him again. Japan is quite a special place. Such lovely polite people. Thanks for letting us know your experiences.

Thanks, Mike!

We hope to sail with YOU two one day--or at least perhaps connect in person next time we're in the Boynton area. :)

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Thanks, Mike!

We hope to sail with YOU two one day--or at least perhaps connect in person next time we're in the Boynton area. :)

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

That would be great. Any friend of Yosuke's is a friend of mine. :)

Hi Dr Fun,

Just booked a cruise around Japan!!!!

Reading the info I gave you was just too much, I have to go back to get my Japan fix.

Will be in touch to ask you some updated info, as its been 6 years since we were last there.

We chose to stay in Yokohama after our cruise (for 5 days thru May 4th). Advantages in doing this is an inexpensive cab ride to your hotel (many nice ones within a $7 ride from the cruise terminal--some within walking distance if you want to lug your baggage). Yokohama is a comfortable place to walk around, with a vibrant China Town, major league (Japanese) baseball team and stadium, zoo, waterfront, etc. Most of historic interest is on Yokohama Bluff where sit several Victorian and other American style houses from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Beyond those are some pretty exotic recent structures that make for a pleasant extended walk. Yokohama housed a major U.S. military facility after WWII and you can find a 1949 map of the city illustrating this and a lot more at: http://www.yohidevils.net/kanto/maps/moremaps.htm

Yokohama has a comfortable metro system as well as Japanese Railway (JR) stations to connect with the rest of Honshu. We found it convenient to visit Tokyo using the JR--take the Keihin Tohoku line. The trip costs around $11 round trip and takes 45 minutes to an hour depending on destination.

As others have noted, the YCAT terminal in Yokohama has comfortable buses with frequent departures going to both Haneda and Narita airports. From our hotel to YCAT the taxi fare was about $13. Tickets to Narita are 3600 yen, or, yes!, 2000 yen if you're a senior (it pays to get old!). That trip is an hour, 15 minute minimum, and can be much longer if you go during high commute periods.

• 1 year later...
We will be ending our cruise in Yokohama and have a hotel booked in Tokyo. Because of our large suitcases, we're not sure if a train into Tokyo would be realistic. Is it possible to take a taxi? We're willing to pay to have a stress-free ride. Especially since the package of transport and hotel offered by the cruise line are excessive, and we have a great hotel rate on our own.Thanks for any assistance.

try Viator they gave me a rate of $37.50 ea type in code 6006TYOPRTHTL

they will pick you up at the dock andbring you to the door of your hotel

Hi Dr Fun,

Just booked a cruise around Japan!!!!

Reading the info I gave you was just too much, I have to go back to get my Japan fix.

Will be in touch to ask you some updated info, as its been 6 years since we were last there.

So glad to hear about this, dear friend!

David and I are recently back from a 49-day odyssey (transatlantic with Western Europe, extended Baltic, Norwegian fjords, and Scottish highlands) and still catching up. ;-)

Happy to help with any and all questions.

Keep me posted here or via email.

Hugs,

Mary-Lou

Hi Dr Fun,

That posting was over a year ago, we went in July had a wonderful time as always but your post is actually quite appropriate as we also booked a couple of months ago to return to Japan, we are on the Aug 24 sailing followed by 2 weeks on the bullet train doing our own thing. 8 of us going this time.

Slightly different itinerary this time but going to all the favourite places plus Nikko which we didnt have time for last year. The actual cruise only repeats Busan so happy with that. Can't get enough of Japan. Got a good price for cruise $899 7 nights diamond princess and $400 return flights with Jetstar.

How could I possibly resist???

Scandanavia is still on my bucket list so will be asking questions when the time comes.

Last week booked Amsterdam to Budapest for October 2017 so will be concentrating on that once home from Japan. I always need something to look forward to. I did it 10 years ago and always said would love to take hubby now he has discovered cruising. Again a group of 8 with some pre and post travel somewhere.

Good to see you still posting, hope life is good to you both.

Hi Dr Fun,

That posting was over a year ago, we went in July had a wonderful time as always but your post is actually quite appropriate as we also booked a couple of months ago to return to Japan, we are on the Aug 24 sailing followed by 2 weeks on the bullet train doing our own thing. 8 of us going this time.

Slightly different itinerary this time but going to all the favourite places plus Nikko which we didnt have time for last year. The actual cruise only repeats Busan so happy with that. Can't get enough of Japan. Got a good price for cruise $899 7 nights diamond princess and $400 return flights with Jetstar.

How could I possibly resist???

Scandanavia is still on my bucket list so will be asking questions when the time comes.

Last week booked Amsterdam to Budapest for October 2017 so will be concentrating on that once home from Japan. I always need something to look forward to. I did it 10 years ago and always said would love to take hubby now he has discovered cruising. Again a group of 8 with some pre and post travel somewhere.

Good to see you still posting, hope life is good to you both.

WOW! I guess I really AM still a bit jet-lagged to have missed the "2015"--to which I see I EMAILED you in response.... :o

So glad you had a good time and are going back. We loved Nikko last year! Spent the morning in Toshogu (the magnificent woodlands Shinto shrine--with the original carving of the Three Monkeys), interesting new museum, and many lovely out-buildings. Then we enjoyed an afternoon in the nearby national forest, with lunch at a little cafe on the road around the lake. There was SNOW piled up--in April. Beautiful! This was a delightful day from our Tokyo hotel--and we were with our wonderful private driver/guide Yokuke.

We also love Scandinavia, which we've visited a few times now. Let me know when you're ready for info about that area.

I'll email you our travel schedule, which includes a return to Japan in April-May 2018! :D

Hugs,

Mary-Lou

Is there anything I need to be concerned about as a solo female other than taking common sense,usual precautions? We disembark in Yokohama and I have no idea where to stay-budget type preferred,but in safe area with access to the train to Narita(Narita Express) as well as access to the bullet train. I wish to visit Mt Fuji as this is my first time to Japan other than going straight from the airport to a cruise ship in 2014.What should I expect to pay for private cars, taxis etc. Do they take credit cards or should I prepared to have a lot of cash with me?

Edited by haikou

Cash is the way to go in Japan. Credit cards are getting a bit more popular in more upscale shops and restaurants and most hotels. Hostels, temple accommodation etc still mainly request cash. I've never attempted to pay taxi by credit card.

No need to be concerned at all in Japan. I would never walk around my own suburb at night but Japan you can safely walk just about anywhere.

Last year post cruise we stayed at Hotel Edit in Yokohama, think it was a stop or two from Yokohama station. A truly fantastic hotel, was very new, big rooms and wonderful staff. I would highly recommend it. Can't remember what we paid but it was very reasonable, we booked it on booking.com. I am always on a budget the cheaper I do it the more travelling I get to do. Are you staying on after your cruise or going earlier? There are several ways of seeing Mt Fuji if it isn't hiding behind cloud that is. You can take day tours from Tokyo - check sunrise tours, or do it yourself by bus/train. We are going from Yokohama to Shin Yokohama on disembarking and then going up to stay in the Hakone area for 2 nights.

Check out the Hakone free pass it has prices from Tokyo and also from Odawara which is where we will go from. The pass covers various forms of transport up there, train, bus, cable car, ropeway and also the tourist boat on the lake. Up until very recently the ropeway was out of action due to volcanic activity but I emailed them this week and was told it is up and going other than the 2nd and 4th thursday when it is taken out of service for servicing. If you are on a budget I would suggest staying out at Yokohama and going in to Tokyo by train. We will be going into Tokyo from Utsunomiya as the hotels are so much cheaper than in Tokyo and its easy access to both Tokyo and Nikko. Check out hyperdia.com. There is also a cheaper way of going to Narita than on the express. The local line takes a bit longer but about 1900 yen.

I just checked and we paid 16,874 for one night for a twin and a double room. Both rooms for 2 people and twins are usually a bit more expensive than the double but being a single you will pay a bit less. Unlike Australia where a single would be paying the same as 2 in a room, Japan hotels, especially business hotels have single rooms or double rooms for single occupancy as a less rate.

Edited by Tara Jane

I agree it appears the best thing to do is to stay outside of Tokyo. Yokohama seems to be a nice midway point between Mt Fuji and the airport so I might just stay there and take trains to and from places I like to see. I would like to find some authentic silk kimonos/robes and sake(for a relative as I do not drink).Do you have any suggestions for shopping outside of Tokyo proper? I also have looked at pictures of the Hakone area and it looks lovely.

I still have not made my air reservations this am as it seems like there is so much to see and do not know if and when I will get back to Japan(?)I don't have a good feel for distances in Japan and how long it will take to get to various places because of traffic etc.Nor time by bus, bullet train etc

Edited by haikou

I suggest if you have the time to stay on or go early and buy a JR rail pass.

You can go from one end of Japan to the other, even the top island Hokkaido, though I wouldn't suggest going there over other more cultural places.

I also thought when planning my first trip to Japan in 1995 that it would be my one and only, i think my upcoming trip is about number 9. Japan just gets to you, people are so polite and is very very safe. My daughter spent a year there in 1995 as a rotary exchange student, hence my reason for visiting, and she described it as being a generation behind us in Australia and I agree with her, but I think things are changing unfortunately a little each time I visit.

Have a look at hyperdia.com it gives you all the train times and even what platform to depart from. You can select different options of trains but if you buy the JR pass you need to unclick the Nozomi and the private railway sections. Almost all stations have lockers to store any luggage through the day while out exploring if needed.

For a first visit to Japan I would suggest Kyoto/Nara , always Hiroshima/Miyajima, Nikko if you have time and a lovely little town Takayama is a long slow train trip but quaint. We have stayed at a temple there several times it is 3,000 yen per person and so special to stay in an authentic temple. I have happily skipped Tokyo a few times as I don't particularly like big cites, preferring to be mixing with the locals.

I don't believe anyone should visit Japan without going to Hiroshima, very sad but very important. We are having 2 weeks post cruise travelling and are basing ourselves in several cities and using the bullet train to go each day out from our base. Easier than packing up and moving on and then having to find the next hotel etc etc. Every trip we learn more. our 14 day JR ordinarly pass was $587 I bought last week. Could have saved a few dollars elsewhere but I wanted to go and collect them rather than have them posted to me, can't trust Australia Post and I was buying 8 passes so a lot of money if they went walkabout.

Enjoy

Edited by Tara Jane