Best ship for young cruisers

aprilmay2

Me, my husband, and about eight other friends are considering a cruise in October, and we are having some trouble deciding on which ship we would like to cruise. We range in age from 20 to 26. Most are on the high side of that range. We want a casual ship, but don't want to be on a "wrecked" ship that is beaten up and old.

Also, we are attracted to Royal Carribean, since the 20-year-old's would be able to buy beer and wine on the boat. But this is definitely not set it stone. We have been looking at RC's Mariner of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, and Carnival Glory.

We are a fun, active group, and we are looking for a fun, active ship that isn't super-formal. Any early 20's folks have experience with the above mentioned ships? Thanks for your help!

I just turned 26 and went on a Carnival cruise a year and a half ago. Most poeple I asked, say that Carnival typically carries a younger crowd. The next cruise we are going on is on Carnival Valor. I don't think any of the ships care if 20 year olds drink or gamble. Maybe I just don't remember getting carded, but I'd be surprised. Any cruise would be fine, but you'd probably have fun on a large ship with a big carrier such as Carnival imho. Smaller numbers would probably mean a smaller percentage of young people.

Unfortunetly, I have no experience with any of the ships you've mentionned, but I think you would be wise to expand your cruise ship search to include Norwegian. The "Freestyle" dining experience is vastly different than what the other lines offer.

To be able to sit in the hot tub as long as you want, or stay ashore longer, or do anything you want and not have to worry about missing your dinner sitting is wonderful. Eat what you want, when you want, where you want. As a 26 year old my self, I couldn't imagine having to be on such a tight schedule while on my vacation.

Maybe we'll see you on the NCL Jewel for New Year's!

The 20 year olds cannot cruise because there is an age limitation of 21, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian aged 25 or older (and if the the ones who are 25 aren't the 20 year olds parents---the 20 year olds must have someone aged 25 or older in the cabin with them). There's no getting away with lying about proof of age either because you all will need passports if you're going to be cruising after December 31, 2005. The only time they waive the 21 age limitation is if those under that age are married and they have to provide proof of marriage.

As for the ships, any of those listed will be just fine for your group. If you want to have a more relaxed experience without having to dress up, then you might want to check NCL (not my personal choice as I don't care for their food or service, waiting in lines to get a table), but if you want a really casual experience, then check on NCL. BTW, they also have the age 21 requirement.

We are a fun, active group, and we are looking for a fun, active ship that isn't super-formal. Any early 20's folks have experience with the above mentioned ships? Thanks for your help!

Have you considered Windjammer? While they are not a super-large ship, I hear they are tons of fun for the younger set. They have a water sports marina that they lower on port days and loads of water-related activities are offered. You can even learn to SCUBA dive since they carry their own dive staff.

The ship is super informal ... after all, they're called Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. They specifically tell you to leave the formalwear and jewelery at home ... you won't be needing them. They are also supposedly a lot of fun. I've never sailed them ... just researched them. My decision not to take a Windjammer cruise is based on the exact criteria that might make it the perfect ship for you.

Just something to consider.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The 20 year olds cannot cruise because there is an age limitation of 21, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian aged 25 or older (and if the the ones who are 25 aren't the 20 year olds parents---the 20 year olds must have someone aged 25 or older in the cabin with them). There's no getting away with lying about proof of age either because you all will need passports if you're going to be cruising after December 31, 2005. The only time they waive the 21 age limitation is if those under that age are married and they have to provide proof of marriage.

As for the ships, any of those listed will be just fine for your group. If you want to have a more relaxed experience without having to dress up, then you might want to check NCL (not my personal choice as I don't care for their food or service, waiting in lines to get a table), but if you want a really casual experience, then check on NCL. BTW, they also have the age 21 requirement.

Thanks to everyone for your input. We only have a couple of twenty-year-olds, and we have at least that many over 25, so we should be fine to pair them up.

I'm going to do some research on Norwegian and Windjammer. We were planning to leave from a Florida port, since it's a semi-resonable drive from ATL, but airfare to Boston, Phillly, and NYC aren't as bad as I expected, so we may be able to consider a Norwegian cruise.

Again, thanks for your suggestions, and keep 'em coming!

April

April,

I'm 23 and I will say that after 2 cruises and going on my third with NCL, I love the freestyle concept. It was so nice not to have to be somewhere at a certain time. In our group, we always ate in the dining room about the same time, but it was nice not to have to worry about being late or anything. My roommate loves it so much, her and her bf fought over which cruise to go on. They did end up on Carnival, which is the other line that I would suggest. Carnival and NCL both seem to have a slightly younger crowd. And NCL allows 20 year-olds to purchase wine and beer as long as they have a note from their parents.

Also, the first time I cruised, I was 19. We actually all were underage in our group. Our TA made special arrangements through the cruiseline, so it would not hurt to ask if this can be done for your group.

And as for drinking, well, once you are away from the US, that is usually a bit more casual as well.

Archived