Norwegian BREAKAPART!! (from on board the 5/19 sailing)

joeski27

Rough Seas on NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY

Published on May 27, 2013

The roughest weather the ship experienced to date. 50-60 knot winds and 10-15 foot waves on the last day of her second cruise to Bermuda. The ship sustained minor damage, but it was quickly addressed by the ship's officers and crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3kXd0FqmM

Rough Seas on NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3kXd0FqmM

Ok here is a question for those with more knowledge. While I was aboard I noticed that the water splashed out it red in some parts. You can see that in this video, trust me it is not the camera. The water splashes red, could it be the red paint of the sun of Peter Max?

Ok here is a question for those with more knowledge. While I was aboard I noticed that the water splashed out it red in some parts. You can see that in this video, trust me it is not the camera. The water splashes red, could it be the red paint of the sun of Peter Max?

I asked my husband the same questions when were out on the deck watching the water splash up. He thought it was the water reflecting off the red paint on the bottom of the boat and the Peter Max design.

I don't know if that is correct, but it seemed to make sense. I have some video to post of the 23 ft waves. I wish I had more time off of work to get everything together!

I asked my husband the same questions when were out on the deck watching the water splash up. He thought it was the water reflecting off the red paint on the bottom of the boat and the Peter Max design.

I don't know if that is correct, but it seemed to make sense. I have some video to post of the 23 ft waves. I wish I had more time off of work to get everything together!

ohhhhh that makes total sense :D, thank you :)

By the way, those cookies are to die for, we are all fighting for them. But no worries, I just hid them, now they are all mine :D.

Thank you so much.

ohhhhh that makes total sense :D, thank you :)

By the way, those cookies are to die for, we are all fighting for them. But no worries, I just hid them, now they are all mine :D.

Thank you so much.

Haha, I'm gald you like them! If you ever want more just ask and I'll send them to you. They're made locally :) Yumm... now I want a cookie!

The blood of the men rowing the boat.

So sorry about your ankle Joe. One week before my very first cruise I slipped in my bathroom at home and had to have an ambulance take me to the hospital to get stitches in one of my little toes. I spent my first ever cruise with one of those medical shoes and a cane afraid someone would step on me. I was unable to get in any of the pools and getting around was a b!tch. I feel your pain but the next cruise was awesome! It can only get better! :D

Let's not bash NCL on this. They neither designed, nor built it. I believe that would be Meyer Werft.

This occurring on a Meyer Werft build does surprise me. DCL's Fantasy was taking 80 mph winds and 30 foot seas and they lost a divider up high between the forward suites. I don't recall divider damage on their deck 5 extended verandas similar to BA's, even though they were taking waves. Of course the forward design is a bit different.

By looking at the pics they may just need to add a wind break where there is no rail section between the two most forward big balconies and the next on deck 8, (8712 and 8714) where that rope was placed. It looked like it created a wind tunnel effect in that gap. Once that opening was created, I was surprised they all didn't blow away.

The ony thing between the sea and that balcony of 8714, in that 3 foot section, was a thin panel installed flat against the head wind. Count on a modification here IMO.

The Germans build the best ships IMO. :)

Not to get too snarky, but if you bought a Toyota and it had a recall, would you bear some responsibility?

If I don't fix them yes. In this case I believe it is a bit different. Norwegian is a common carrier so they have a duty that goes beyond your normal boat owner to make sure that the vessel is capable of most things that might be thrown at it. The ship builder, designer and all contractors bear some blame for any part that breaks and by extension so does the common carrier. Do they have some to subrogate damages to? yes. But will they still bear responsibility if injury occurs? yes imho.

This is why you don't go in the first weeks of a new or refurbished ship they have to work it all out . But how does NCL make a ship with out thinking about the winds out of NYC. They been having 2 ships out of there year round 4 years now.

We had dinner last night with the staff captain. We asked about the dividers on the M6's and he said that they are going to make the dividers close to the ship the ones that will be able to open for those cabins. The others will be permanently shut. They are already working on this fix and will have them done shortly.

We had dinner last night with the staff captain. We asked about the dividers on the M6's and he said that they are going to make the dividers close to the ship the ones that will be able to open for those cabins. The others will be permanently shut. They are already working on this fix and will have them done shortly.

Good to hear

Joe- Sorry to hear about this horrendous time you had on the Breakaway...my friend is on the ship RIGHT NOW as she is docked in Bermuda...I hope your ankle is better..I would definitely look into either getting a refund OR a free cruise/ huge credit for another cruise..if you do go ahead with this, MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK TO AN NCL SUPERVISOR, not just a CS rep....also, I'm thinking of getting an M6 MS on the Getaway next year ( hopefully without any injuries to us..)...may I ask what did you think of the M6 cabin & balcony overall? Would you book this class of cabin again NOT if this incident never happened? Thanks for your thoughts...

Big Al

Joe-I hope your ankle is better..I would definitely look into either getting a refund OR a free cruise/ huge credit for another cruise..if you do go ahead with this, MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK TO AN NCL SUPERVISOR, not just a CS rep

Big Al

I'm a bit confused. Joe wrote: "Yeah mine was the regular stairway, I think forward. All I can think happened was the rubber heel of my left shoe caught the very grippy edge of the step below, which caused my next step (with my right foot) to immediately drop down about 2 steps and I planted the side of my foot/turned ankle with all my falling weight. Like I said while I've been able to "walk" on it I clearly remember feeling a snap or pop, which I'm assuming was a ligament. Swelling has gone down but the ankle is laughably unstable, probably turned it mildly about 4 or 5 times during debarkation and the trip home."

How is this NCL's fault? Accidents do happen. If everyone was 'sue' crazy or 'free cruise' crazy imagine what the costs of cruises would be. I mean really, if someone rolls over and falls off their bed at night and hurts themselves because the water was rough that night.....would that be NCL's fault as well? It's unfortunate that this happened and I do feel bad for Joe that his cruise was affected by this......but I don't feel it was NCL's fault.

I'm a bit confused. Joe wrote: "Yeah mine was the regular stairway, I think forward. All I can think happened was the rubber heel of my left shoe caught the very grippy edge of the step below, which caused my next step (with my right foot) to immediately drop down about 2 steps and I planted the side of my foot/turned ankle with all my falling weight. Like I said while I've been able to "walk" on it I clearly remember feeling a snap or pop, which I'm assuming was a ligament. Swelling has gone down but the ankle is laughably unstable, probably turned it mildly about 4 or 5 times during debarkation and the trip home."

How is this NCL's fault? Accidents do happen. If everyone was 'sue' crazy or 'free cruise' crazy imagine what the costs of cruises would be. I mean really, if someone rolls over and falls off their bed at night and hurts themselves because the water was rough that night.....would that be NCL's fault as well? It's unfortunate that this happened and I do feel bad for Joe that his cruise was affected by this......but I don't feel it was NCL's fault.

I did not say this is NCL's fault.. it is primarily Meyer Werft's fault because they may have built a faulty area...NO door on a NEW SHIP should come off in sub tropical force winds...falling out of bed in rough seas is NOT NCL's fault...BUT, the pulldown bed from the ceiling falling down with your kid in it, IS.... HOWEVER, it is NCL's responsibilty to inspect everything on a new ship before she sails...20-25 ft seas should be NOTHING for a big, new, technically advanced cruise ship...also, since NCL & Meyer KNEW the Breakaway would be cruising in sometimes rough seas from NY to Bermuda, shouldn't special precautions & considerations be taken like the Queen Mary 2, which has a double steel hull built for Transatlantic cruises each week for the rough Atlantic seas? I think they should...just MHO.....

Big Al

Has anyone seen the OP on this or the Breakaway thread? He was extremely active prior to the cruise posting multiple times a day and now nothing.

Hope you are feeling better.

I did not say this is NCL's fault.. it is primarily Meyer Werft's fault because they may have built a faulty area...NO door on a NEW SHIP should come off in sub tropical force winds...falling out of bed in rough seas is NOT NCL's fault...BUT, the pulldown bed from the ceiling falling down with your kid in it, IS.... HOWEVER, it is NCL's responsibilty to inspect everything on a new ship before she sails...20-25 ft seas should be NOTHING for a big, new, technically advanced cruise ship...also, since NCL & Meyer KNEW the Breakaway would be cruising in sometimes rough seas from NY to Bermuda, shouldn't special precautions & considerations be taken like the Queen Mary 2, which has a double steel hull built for Transatlantic cruises each week for the rough Atlantic seas? I think they should...just MHO.....

Big Al

Al,

I think we're talking about two different things here. I'm talking about your response to Joe who's shoe got caught up on a step and hurt his ankle. That has nothing to do with NCL nor Meyer Werft. However, I think you're referring to the balcony dividers in your statement above.

I guess I'll chime in here for a minute (been purposefully away from the forum and related Breakaway threads as looking at the pictures of places people went and things people did during my sailing does nothing but thoroughly p*** me off, as I didn't get to see most of those things. Just trying to forget that I ever went on that cruise and now looking towards planning the next, if nothing else than to get my mind off of it. Actually started looking at some of Gambee's fantastic photos, but I had to stop, made me sick and angry :(

Anyways, my accident was my own fault, honestly just going down the stairs perhaps a bit too fast, and if I did the same thing 100 more times, probably more than 95 of those would not involve me thrashing my ankle. Nothing wrong with the steps, not NCL's fault in anyway. I am the one who completely ruined my vacation, no one else.

And I'm still surprised that you guys are still harping on the divider thing. Very interesting to hear of their fix of changing the swinging partitions to the inner part of the balconies, sounds good to me. Can't blame NCL for bad weather on the way home. It was just extreme weather (definitely the worst I've been on on a cruise by far), and it turned out that the balcony damage was unfortunately the most exciting thing I got to see all week long. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll chime in here for a minute (been purposefully away from the forum and related Breakaway threads as looking at the pictures of places people went and things people did during my sailing does nothing but thoroughly p*** me off, as I didn't get to see most of those things. Just trying to forget that I ever went on that cruise and now looking towards planning the next, if nothing else than to get my mind off of it. Actually started looking at some of Gambee's fantastic photos, but I had to stop, made me sick and angry :(

Anyways, my accident was my own fault, honestly just going down the stairs perhaps a bit too fast, and if I did the same thing 100 more times, probably more than 95 of those would not involve me thrashing my ankle. Nothing wrong with the steps, not NCL's fault in anyway. I am the one who completely ruined my vacation, no one else.

And I'm still surprised that you guys are still harping on the divider thing. Very interesting to hear of their fix of changing the swinging partitions to the inner part of the balconies, sounds good to me. Can't blame NCL for bad weather on the way home. It was just extreme weather (definitely the worst I've been on on a cruise by far), and it turned out that the balcony damage was unfortunately the most exciting thing I got to see all week long. :rolleyes:

Hope your ankle is getting better. Speedy recovery

Suzanne

Hope your ankle is getting better. Speedy recovery

Suzanne

Thanks very much. Yeah been almost 3 weeks and still feels pretty crappy. And unfortunately, even when it does get better it still won't fix the fact that I missed most of my vacations because of it. Oh well, at least others who were was pumped up about this ship were able to enjoy it. Guess I'll just have to wait until the next cruise :rolleyes:

Archived