1 Regret about cruising!

RockNCntry

I have just been on a few cruises! But after each one, the one regret I still have, Is why I didnt take my first one sooner! I look back now and see all the great times I have missed! But am still trying to get more in each year! Advice, Book when your young and enjoy more cruises in your lifetime! :) Have a Great Cruise everyone! Make it soon! Take care!

I have just been on a few cruises! But after each one, the one regret I still have, Is why I didnt take my first one sooner! I look back now and see all the great times I have missed! But am still trying to get more in each year! Advice, Book when your young and enjoy more cruises in your lifetime! :) Have a Great Cruise everyone! Make it soon! Take care!

I spent a lifetime in the US Navy. I used to look at cruise ships when we passed them and wonder what it would be like to be onboard one. I always thought of cruising as a "rich person's" game so I never checked into it. Once I became a civilian I figured DW wouldn't be interested because she doesn't like the water. One day (many years after becoming a civilian) a co-worker was talking about his upcoming cruise and I realized how affordable it was. I recounted the conversation to DW and said "I would like to try cruising someday" to which she replied "Me too, but I always thought you wouldn't like cruising because you spent so much time at sea in the Navy". So it turns out that I was wrong about the affordability of a cruise and DW's desire to cruise.:D

When we worked we were not able to take a lot of cruises.

Then I had to get DH away from all those land tours all over Europe. Yes -- they were lovely - but I got tired of packing and unpacking nearly every day.

When we first retired I still had a hard time getting DH to cruise more often. Finally we were doing 4 and 5 cruises a year -- none short.

Now we have health issues and with poor flight schedules, we just can't take but a couple of cruises a year.

Cruised since 1987 and my one regret is we didn't try multiple cruise lines sooner. We sailed RC exclusively for probably 20 years and then tried Princess and HAL. Each cruise line has their own nitch and do some things really well. Some have different itineraries, especially if you tend to stay with one line. We now rotate betwee RC, Princess and HAL, usually between Princess and HAL.........

There are many options and all have something unique and that they do well.

agree 100% :D

I have been very lucky, finished cruise 56 about 4 weeks ago , cruise at least once a year since the 1970's. Not real loyal to any line but like RCCL and Hal, have done most of the major lines and many that are no longer sailing

I also regret not cruising sooner (I'll be 50 this Summer). For the longest time I would see the commercials on TV and look at the reasonable prices, but always thought you had to pay extra for food, shows, etc, and that (in my mind) made it seem like it would be too expensive.

I eventually got to know people who cruised and they set me straight. Started looking into cruises a few years ago but due to medical issues (since taken care of), I only started cruising last year.

I agree. It might be a financial hardship when you're younger, especially if you have kids (especially if they're in college!!) but it is sooo worth it. I recently went to the funeral of the son of a friend. He died at 27. A few of his friends, and his brother, got up and talked about the fun they had on cruises as kids and teens. It almost broke my heart to hear because I could picture my own kids- and because his mom had always come to me for cruise advice. YOLO.

Good advice, OP....... :)

We took a great many land trips and resort stays domestic, in Europe and the Caribbean long before we cruised. We don't regret any of them and still mix some in amongst our cruising. Even still we've managed dozens of cruises and hope to enjoy many more. :)

:D Like!

I did my first cruise at the ripe old age of 29, and had more fun than I could imagine. I really wish I tried cruising sooner. Although, I was pretty shy when I was younger, so I'm not sure how much I'd have enjoyed the hyper-social environment of a cruise ship. And the jobs I had earlier pretty much prevented from taking any vacations whatsoever. Even at my current job, I had to fight tooth and nail for it. (I work in IT, but researching a career change, to a field with better vacation policies.) But I'm glad I tried cruising in the first place, regardless of age at the time.

It definitely wouldn't make sense for me to cruise before age 21, given the fact that people ages 18 to 20 are a neglected age group. But I definitely should have cruised earlier than I did. Live and learn.

The one guilt I usually have is that after the cruise, I come home and realize the house needs some kind of work :( carpets, roof repair, an appliance needing replaced, fence, etc. Nothing major mind you, just maintance or upgrade.

The guilt is such that I question myself as to should I have spent the money on a luxury vacation rather than updating the property (investment wise). Next thing you know,,, I'm spending more money on that project just to appease my guilt.

In the end, my cruise vacations cost me more than just the vacation.

When we worked we were not able to take a lot of cruises.

Then I had to get DH away from all those land tours all over Europe. Yes -- they were lovely - but I got tired of packing and unpacking nearly every day.

When we first retired I still had a hard time getting DH to cruise more often. Finally we were doing 4 and 5 cruises a year -- none short.

Now we have health issues and with poor flight schedules, we just can't take but a couple of cruises a year.

Pissing myself laughing at "DH".... I figured from the context of this post that it was something to do with "husband", but had to look this up to find it's an American acronym for "darling husband"..... where I come from it stands for "dick head".... but "darling husband" certainly sounds much nicer!

Pissing myself laughing at "DH".... I figured from the context of this post that it was something to do with "husband", but had to look this up to find it's an American acronym for "darling husband"..... where I come from it stands for "dick head".... but "darling husband" certainly sounds much nicer!

LOL...now that's funny!!!!!!

In most cases, they are the same thing.

Archived