"Themistoklis" - The new Cruise Terminal for Pireaus Port

Anapli

Yes Celebrity Reflection was berthed at the new terminal. You would think that the local drivers should know where the new terminal is located.

Thanks for the reply YVR (I'm from Vancouver area too) I'm sure the tour company will be up to date on arrivals for the day and all will run smoothly:)

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know/remember/can confirm that there is a duty free shop in the old terminal that sells wine? If so, are the prices and variety good? We are sailing on HAL and want to take a few bottles onboard to start our cruise. is there a wine shop in the new terminal?

Thanks for any help

ML

I too would be interested in knowing if there is a shop to purchase wine! We are also sailing on HAL in October.

Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...
I believe next days they will solve this issue...

One more info about bus tickets:

The bus ticket cost 1.40 euro and you can buy at most of kiosks or mini markets. Next days you can buy tickets from bus drivers too but with price 1.50 euro per person. This ticket is valid for 90 minutes and you can use with metro/electric train too.

Anapli,

I am hopeful that you can answer my question:

Do you know if anyone has been able to purchase the bus ticket for #859 or #843 onboard the bus? Do you know of anyone who has actually done this? I have been receiving conflicting information so thought I would ask a local expert. :)

We arrive next month. It would be really convenient if the tickets are, in fact, now sold on the bus.

Thanks!

Anapli,

I am hopeful that you can answer my question:

Do you know if anyone has been able to purchase the bus ticket for #859 or #843 onboard the bus? Do you know of anyone who has actually done this? I have been receiving conflicting information so thought I would ask a local expert. :)

We arrive next month. It would be really convenient if the tickets are, in fact, now sold on the bus.

Thanks!

I think this isn't for these lines (they testing in some main lines in Athens) but, there is the start of bus #859 and you can ask where purchase tickets (normally near start stations exist kiosks or mini markets who sale tickets).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a shuttle bus between the two terminals. From terminal A, it isn't a very long walk to the metro. Celebrity Reflection docked at terminal B and they didn't tell us about the shuttle bus. We found out about it from fellow travelers on our way back to the ship.

• 1 month later...
Just when I have pretty thoroughly learned my way around Piraeus port, they change it! :D

By the way, last time I was there, about 6 weeks ago, I went to the Piraeus Archaeological Museum. They have some amazing bronzes there as good as anything in the Athens Archaeological Museum and it was just a short walk from the port.

did you take the shuttle to get to the entrance of the port cruisemom?

We plan to see this museum as we have two stops in Piraeus and have been to Athens - so thought we would take it easy on turnaround day?

How short is a short walk? We're fine but just in case others want to join us.

thanks very much

• 3 months later...
did you take the shuttle to get to the entrance of the port cruisemom?

We plan to see this museum as we have two stops in Piraeus and have been to Athens - so thought we would take it easy on turnaround day?

How short is a short walk? We're fine but just in case others want to join us.

thanks very much

So sorry -- I just now saw your question.

No, I didn't take the port shuttle. We were docked near the entrance (at least, it was the entrance at that time) on our small ship (Aegean Odyssey). On my Piraeus map, this is labeled as the International Passengers Terminal.

Outside the terminal, I turned left and walked for about 3 blocks (keeping the water on my left). Then I turned right onto a street whose name I unfortunately can't remember or read on the map and walked uphill for two longish blocks to reach the museum (on the left).

Altogether, I'd say the walk was around 15-20 minutes.

The museum isn't much to look at on the outside, but has some very interesting things. There are also excavations around the museum building itself, if they are open. They were closed when I was there.

If we are just in port for the port call we find the HOP ON / HOP OFF to get into town to do sight seeing. Although this would not do if you're getting off and have luggage and doing a transfer to a hotel.

All those people asking about buying wine to take on board I believe with HAL's new policy means they'll take it away when you come on board and return it the day before you get off, so no drinking it in your room.

Allan & Marlane

If we are just in port for the port call we find the HOP ON / HOP OFF to get into town to do sight seeing. Although this would not do if you're getting off and have luggage and doing a transfer to a hotel.

All those people asking about buying wine to take on board I believe with HAL's new policy means they'll take it away when you come on board and return it the day before you get off, so no drinking it in your room.

Allan & Marlane

HAL's wine policy has been amended. As long as you are willing to pay a corkage fee ($18) the wine will not be taken away. It's only taken away and stored for you if you do not want to pay the corkage fee :D

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in port with Celebrity in May, same size ship as Reflection. If we also dock at the "outside end" of the port area, will we be able to walk easily to the METRO? Is it a mile or much more? We are okay with walking, but we don't want to wear ourselves out just getting to the METRO.

Anapli, we will be in Athens for the first time and have planned to DIY with lots of research and Rick Steves' guides. Would you advise this, or would it be better to reserve one of the recommended taxi tours on Trip Advisor? Cruisemom, what do you think?

Thank you for your advice!

We will be in port with Celebrity in May, same size ship as Reflection. If we also dock at the "outside end" of the port area, will we be able to walk easily to the METRO? Is it a mile or much more? We are okay with walking, but we don't want to wear ourselves out just getting to the METRO.

Anapli, we will be in Athens for the first time and have planned to DIY with lots of research and Rick Steves' guides. Would you advise this, or would it be better to reserve one of the recommended taxi tours on Trip Advisor? Cruisemom, what do you think?

When we docked at the more distant terminal, they ran a shuttle bus from that terminal to the older terminal. I would suggest taking it, as the walk between terminals is quite a distance. Once at the older terminal, it is a pleasant 20-30 minute walk (depending on your walking speed) to the Metro. It's an easy, flat walk along sidewalks. It really is up to you and your health to decide if you want to go that route. Personally, I did it twice on back-to-back cruises. I also used Rick Steves' guide to visit the sites in Athens. During my two stops in Athens, I did all of the walks he has listed for Athens. I am a big fan of DIY, and often don't feel the need to arrange for tour guides. But it really is a matter of personal choice.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thank you MeHeartCruising. We had planned to do exactly as you describe, but read two very good reviews where the travelers used pre-arranged and recommended taxis to excellent effect, so then we wondered if that was better for our first visit.

We did just look up the bus schedules and have realized we will be in Athens on a Sunday as well and there are not nearly as many buses running on a Sunday. I'm headed over to our CC thread to post that.

Caution to anyone considering using the Athens Metro - pickpocketing - purse snatching and other minor crime is very prevalent. This will be our third trip to Athens and we will not step foot in the Metro. We are usually a lot more daring than we should be wherever we travel but the Athens Metro is just a problem looking for a victim and not worth the risk. For cost of a cab ride or a tour the Varvakios Agorais one of our favorite shopping spots and we will go there - just not on the Metro.

Caution to anyone considering using the Athens Metro - pickpocketing - purse snatching and other minor crime is very prevalent. This will be our third trip to Athens and we will not step foot in the Metro. We are usually a lot more daring than we should be wherever we travel but the Athens Metro is just a problem looking for a victim and not worth the risk. For cost of a cab ride or a tour the Varvakios Agorais one of our favorite shopping spots and we will go there - just not on the Metro.

Fun33, this is disturbing. Did this happen to you or others in your party?

I believe you are on our cruise, so we can continue this discussion there if you like. Of course we don't want to save a few euro just to risk a criminal incident!

When we docked at the more distant terminal, they ran a shuttle bus from that terminal to the older terminal. I would suggest taking it, as the walk between terminals is quite a distance. Once at the older terminal, it is a pleasant 20-30 minute walk (depending on your walking speed) to the Metro. It's an easy, flat walk along sidewalks. It really is up to you and your health to decide if you want to go that route. Personally, I did it twice on back-to-back cruises. I also used Rick Steves' guide to visit the sites in Athens. During my two stops in Athens, I did all of the walks he has listed for Athens. I am a big fan of DIY, and often don't feel the need to arrange for tour guides. But it really is a matter of personal choice.

MeHeartCruising-How long ago did you use the Metro in Athens? My husband and I were planning to take it from the port into the city. We used the metro some years back and had no problems, but now I am worried.

Thank you MeHeartCruising. We had planned to do exactly as you describe, but read two very good reviews where the travelers used pre-arranged and recommended taxis to excellent effect, so then we wondered if that was better for our first visit.

Is there a link to the reviews and how much they paid? I've considered a few ways of getting around Athens.

In range of price, since the athens tour websites are aggravatingly cryptic about price, most to least expensive:

1. Arranged taxi tour - driver will pick up, drop off at Piraeus and shuttle you between points of interest in Athens. 250-300 EUR+ per 4 person car.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38009930&highlight=euros#post38009930

2. Arranged taxi transfers - driver will pick up, drop off at Piraeus but doesn't shuttle between points of interest in Athens. 50 EUR in 2012

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645311

http://www.piraeusporttaxi.com/ (via google)

3. Hailing taxi - possibly via taxibeat app with reviewed cab drivers (you'll need internet access for this) ~ 15-20 EUR each way to/from Piraeus port

4. Taking subway

Hop on/off doesn't start early enough to make it to the Acropolis in the first hour of opening, so that rules it off my list.

We will be there in August and options # 1-3 all provide air conditioning. I'm from a fairly temperate area so if it were cooler weather, I'd attempt #4 both ways, but saving $15 EUR going back given August heat just sounds unappealing to me.

If you have a lot of "must sees" then #1 is probably best as they'll know the best way to get around traffic, what order to visit things in, and provides commentary.

Edited by travelpeon

http://www.thepreismans.com/med_grand_princ.htm

http://pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com/2013/10/3-week-long-european-adventure-fall-2013.html

Both of these trip reports include Athens and they each arranged for a Trip Advisor recommended taxi driver ahead of time. He was just a driver, not a guide, but I get the impression they were given a lot of information as he drove. One mentions E100 for a party of 4 for a 5 hour tour. Both tours seem very similar, but perhaps they would be willing to customize. They did begin nice and early.

Fun33, this is disturbing. Did this happen to you or others in your party?

I believe you are on our cruise, so we can continue this discussion there if you like. Of course we don't want to save a few euro just to risk a criminal incident!

MeHeartCruising-How long ago did you use the Metro in Athens? My husband and I were planning to take it from the port into the city. We used the metro some years back and had no problems, but now I am worried.

Some folks suffer from an excess of caution. I've used the Athens metro multiple times and have never had a problem.

As with any major city, you should take the usual precautions with your money and valuables -- never keep a lot of money or your passport in an exposed pocket, backpack, or purse. I use a "secret pocket" but a money belt or pouch works equally well. I leave any credit cards or money I don't need that day on the ship. I do not carry my actual passport unless required to do so.

I side with Cruisemom on the use of the metro in Athens (and probably most cities). My last use of the metro was in 2012. I take precautions to protect my valuables when I travel. And as a tourist, I would probably avoid a crowded train where possible. I stay alert to those around me and keep to myself when on public transit. In my Athens journey, the bulk of the others on the trains were either tourists or people going to work. But I'm also very comfortable using mass transit in Chicago and New York City. It really isn't any different and the risks are probably very similar. It's all a matter of what you would be comfortable with.

I have copied the following from an Excel spreadsheet produced by the Piraeus Port Authority and am trying to determine where the Noordam will berth on September 9, 2014.

I found our ship but am unable to read the column headings. Is there anyone who can interpret the following, only to tell me where our ship will berth. I don't need all the headings translated - the only word I recognize is TRANSIT and I know what that one means!!

Thanks

Karen

Κωδ. Πλοίου Ονομα Πλοίου ΚΟΧ IMO Προγρ/νη Ημ/νία Αφιξης Προγρ. Ημ/νία Αναχ. Επιβ. Πλοίου Πραγμ.Επιβ. Επιβίβαση/TRANSIT Μήκος Πελάτης

@Karen - try pasting it into the left hand side box at http://translate.google.com and selecting English on the right (or whichever language you prefer)

If you use Chrome browser, pages not in your default language will get a little bar below the navigation bar where Chrome will ask if you want the page translated to default language.

@ MrsBBuffalo - Thanks!

Edited by travelpeon